Which games have given you motion sickness?

• 62 results
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

The first game that made me super sick was Dyad. I really want to get into it but have been too afraid to play it again after the one session I had w/ it.

Another one was Jazzpunk. I wanted to leisurely take it all in but had to blast through it cause of how it made me feel.

I'm looking forward to playing The Talos Principle but the QL made me sick so I've been a little scared to boot it up. I had no problems w/ the Dyad and Jazzpunk QLs so I'm hoping it won't be an issue.

hach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I stopped playing Far Cry 2 when it came out solely because I couldn't play it without starting to feel sick, mirrors edge I stopped playing after the tutorial because it made me feel incredibly sick. Haven't had any problems with any other games though.

CouldbeRolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witness is the only one I can think of, and it was only slightly and went away if I continued playing.

Watching other people play games with manual camera movement on the other hand can be quite an ordeal for me. I remember watching a friend play Metroid Prime way back when and I got so close to throwing up I had to leave the room because even the sound of the game would have put me over the edge. Good times.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tomb Raider on PS3 got me bad, I couldn't play more than a half hour without immediately wanting to just lie down in a dark room for an hour. The PS4 version doesn't effect me though.

I couldn't play much of The Witness either before giving up because of the camera bob.

Also, Dying Light.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EVERY NAUGHTY DOG GAME EVER... The motion blur and when they take camera control away from you when you do the walk and talk is super annoying. Was super bad in UC4 and took me way longer to beat it since I could only play in 1-2 hour sessions. Other 3rd person shooters sometimes give me motion sickness if the framerate is bad but nothing as bad as the Naughty Dog games.

Painkiller80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only game that got me feeling sick was DOOM back maybe 20 years ago. Have not felt sick from playing a game since then.

But one of my friends puked at my house from one of the Tiger Woods golf games. He said the spinning ball on the HUD made him feels sick. I thought it was funny and roast him about it all the time.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arkham City made me feel really sick. The camera was far too close.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 - The single player only, the FOV was about 55 and couldn't be changed permanently even though it was freely editable in multiplayer. Think I only got about half way through the second mission.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By monetarydread

Quake on the. N64 was the first to make me motion sick. At some point I realized the only time I ever get motion sick is when I am hungry; I haven't been motion sick since.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario 2 has always left me with a headache and a fair amount of nausea after playing it or seeing it played for twenty minutes or so. Couldn't tell you why.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ripelivejam

Original doom games, half life and half life 2, and goldeneye single player. Think its a combination of full screen fps, smooth framerate and narrow fov. Weirdly never had the problem with tf2 from what i remember but i think that was due to a wider fov unbeknownst to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

This fucking thing.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 73

#12 fisk0  Moderator

The Witness is the only I've ever gotten sick by watching (haven't played it).

I did get a massive headache trying to play Half-Life 2 with red-cyan 3D glasses a number of years ago, but it didn't feel like motion/simulation sickness per se (and I could play Minecraft with 3D glasses without issue).

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Once you take the Ferry from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel Mexico....a mere game will never make you sick again. Games don't make me sick, or they have to be extremely disorienting for me too feel ill. But a real boat ride ,when it really high seas will get me every time. Choppy is better than slow-cycle swells, the slow rise and fall will screw you up fast. I take a ferry 28 nautical mile about once a month, but I never get sick...mainly because we don't run our boats like the wild people in Mexico.

Loading Video...

WilliamHenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Jazz Punk is probably the worst. Watching Jeff play Hitman: Go in the last Vrodeo did it to me as well. That might be the first time its happened from watching the GB guys play a game. I know there have been others but can't remember them off the top of my head.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

All FPS games, Brutal Legend, I'm sure there's more I can't think of

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Devil240Z

Ive only ever gotten motion sick playing gameboy in the back seat of a moving car.

meissnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to return The Witness because I couldn't look at if after about half an hour.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Justin258  Online

I can only think of two times where I've gotten close to being motion sick while playing games.

The first was Marathon Durandal on the 360. I stopped having a problem with it after some time, but there were numerous reports of it making people motion sick. They really cleaned up the game's look, there's no grain in it whatsoever, and they made it run at 60FPS... but the FOV is pretty narrow for some reason and there's a lot of headbob and gunbob in that game. You can turn both of those off, thankfully, although I turned them back on after a while and it was fine. I finished that game.

The other was Doom. I had just gotten my wisdom teeth pulled and I was on painkillers. Oddly enough, the painkiller in question - I forgot what it was but I did need a prescription - gave me a terrible headache. I tried to play Doom using the ZDoom source port during this time. I was holding shift, I had view bob on it, I was moving at Doom's infinitely ridiculous speed, and I had that headache - all three combined just made my stomach churn a bit and I had to turn it off. I had played Doom a million times before and I've played it a million times since, so this isn't something I normally experience while playing Doom.

Otherwise, no, never had any motion sickness while playing games.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By jadegl  Moderator

@justin258 said:

The first was Marathon Durandal on the 360. I stopped having a problem with it after some time, but there were numerous reports of it making people motion sick. They really cleaned up the game's look, there's no grain in it whatsoever, and they made it run at 60FPS... but the FOV is pretty narrow for some reason and there's a lot of headbob and gunbob in that game. You can turn both of those off, thankfully, although I turned them back on after a while and it was fine. I finished that game.

YES! I played the trial version of that game for about 15 minutes and I got a splitting headache and was so sick I had to lay down and take a nap. It was brutal. Absolutely, without a doubt, the worst motion sickness a game has every given me. I thought something was seriously wrong with me, that's how quickly it happened and how strong the reaction was. I never went back to it.

I get motion sick if I watch people on Youtube videos or on twitch, play older FPS games like Doom or Quake. I usually have no issues playing them myself, though. Except Marathon Durandal on 360. F that game.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LeStephan

Deadly prenomition on ps3 is the only game that ever got me motion sick. It was fine till I got a bigger tv.

Friend of mine also got super sick from playing the newest EDf game on ps4.

Strange concidering neither are from a first person pov.

Edit: Boy! That bloodforge quick look is hard to watch as well.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until recently, none. Unfortunately, The Witness rewired my brain as such that Timesplitters 2 also made me feel kinda ill. Austin's Quick Look of Homefront: The Revolution had me looking away as well. Its one of these things where I'm wondering if I need to change the pace at which I play them.

Lichbanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rugrats for PS1. Something about Tommy Pickles' feet moving gets me.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Pre patched Final Fantasy Type-0 HD. Dat motion blur.... holy shit.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim on PC. 20 minutes with that game was enough to have me actually vomit and spend the rest of the day in a dark room with a terrible migraine.

Only game that has ever caused me problems.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if it's a sign of me getting old, but some recent third-person games seem to follow just a tiny bit too closely behind the character and make me feel a bit queazy at times; Watch Dogs and Tomb Raider are the two that have done that to me. I miss the days of having camera distance options in third person games, I just need to zoom back a smidge.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Beatles rock band, specifically the tracks where the background turned into a psychedelic dream sequence. They messed me up real bad. Never had a problem with any other game.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Anything with a terrible FoV. Actually watched that Polygon video of them playing Doom (to see just how bad the person playing it was) and holy shit that was painful, in both ways.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a little queasy once on a plane after around 40 minutes of turbulence, but a video game has never had any effect on me.

@hach said:

I stopped playing Far Cry 2 when it came out solely because I couldn't play it without starting to feel sick...

I consider this a testament to the game's malaria simulation.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have only ever gotten motion sickness from one game, Kileak: The DNA Imperative. I couldn't get more than an about a 1/2 hour in without nausea and a headache kicking in. It was something about the exaggerated gun sway, and rhythmic footsteps that did it in for me. Never before and never again have I had the slightest bit of trouble with a game.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ctrl F "descent"

Really? No one? That would sure be my answer. It's the only game to make me motion sick that I can ever remember playing.

Loading Video...

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RonGalaxy

Killzone 2 is the only game to have ever given me motion sickness, which makes sense because that game didn't control all that well and the camera movement was weird. I did acclimate to it eventually.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ctrl F "descent"

oh shit yes, forgot this one. i tried to muscle my way through it mostly, though, as it was such an awesome experience at the time.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In all of my 3D gaming from Wolf in 1992 to Doom in 2016 the only thing to make me feel sick was watching Dan play VR games.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#34  Edited By SubwayD

What the hell was wrong with Jazzpunk? I tried playing it and it had me reeling.

Other games? There's been a few, but weird stand outs being Half Life 2, Anything from Free Radical*, Soul Reaver: Legacy of Kain, Far Cry and, weirdly enough, Wheelman. I'm usually alright with driving games, but for some reason I was breaking out in a cold sweat every time I tried playing.

*Even Second Sight. I've also bought Homefront the Revolution out of morbid curiosity. While I imagine it will do my head in, just hopefully not from motion sickness.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ziggurat made me motion sick real bad. First time I ever adjusted a games FOV, because that's what did it to me apparently.

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i do not get ms when playing games.

thatbendorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mirror's Edge and The Forest for me. Although as soon as I bumped up the FOV in The Forest, all was well.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Killzone 2 is the only game to have ever given me motion sickness, which makes sense because that game didn't control all that well and the camera movement was weird. I did acclimate to it eventually.

There was definitely something off about that game. I strained my eyes so much playing it.

I know there was some game back in the day that made me feel weird, but the only recent example I can recall was Trackmania Turbo on PS4. Weirdly enough, I never felt anything while playing Trackmania 2.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Marathon 2 Durandal (360) and Jazzpunk (PC). Which is a shame for Jazzpunk because I was really enjoying it and wanted to play more of it.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Half Life 2, although it was mainly the hovercraft section I think. Maybe something to do with the change of speed?

I've also not been able to play more than the first 20mins of Mirrors Edge, sadly.

sergeantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Faction 2 had me needing to lie down within 5 minutes, as did Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Occasionally, if I'm moving too fast in an FPS, I'll get a touch of nausea. Overwatch has given me no problems in that regard, which was surprising to me.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By mikemcn

Jazzpunk, loved the humor, felt like i wanted to keel over and die everytime i finished a session, had to uninstall =(

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most recently? Dying light made me have to quit after 10 minutes or so. Most games have been fine since the ps1 era, games like tomb raider and soul reaver(which i loved) made me sick constantly. I got through all the soul reaver's though because i liked them that much but man it was a nightmare on my motion sickness.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Only one, Diablo 3. Which weirded me out a lot.

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cid798
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Only one game has ever made me motion sick and that is Mohawk and Headphone Jack for the SNES.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I've realized fairly recently that walking around in a game environment where the floor/room is slanted is pretty much a one way ticket to barfsville.

Trying to explore this crooked shipwreck in Skyrim was a NIGHTMARE for me and my poor tummy.
Trying to explore this crooked shipwreck in Skyrim was a NIGHTMARE for me and my poor tummy.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only game that has ever given me motion sickness was Mischief Makers for the Nintendo 64. There was one specific level called Vertigo in which you can spin the entire level by interacting with an environmental object. There wasn't much of a cooldown on it either so of course I spammed the spin ability until I couldn't stand looking at it any more.

I've played the game many times since then and that level no longer affects me.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Far Cry 4 had a super weird FOV bug in co-op when you got into a vehicle that your friend is driving. It gave me a massive headache once and made me feel sick.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By ajamafalous

Literally none