Which games will you be supporting while listening to the Giant Bomb GotY this year?

• 56 results
DragoonCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DragoonCody

I tend to pick a few games to support when I listen to the GotY deliberations each year, since it makes things more interesting (the same way it does for picking a team while watching a football match). Here are mine, with some obvious ones and some more obscure.

Supporting for the Top 10 List: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Nier: Automata, Mario & Rabbids

And hoping for some mentions of these smaller games in some category: SteamWorld Dig 2, Golf Story

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

SteamWorld Dig 2 is my favorite small/indie game of the year, so hope that gets some love. Some of my favorite music from a game this year is from that game. As for the big games on the top 10, PUBG was the game I both continually played throughout the year and had a lot of fun watching the GB crew playing, a la Hitman last year, so I hope it does well. It definitely was one of the defining parts of 2017 for me.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

My only real hope is that What Remains of Edith Finch doesn't get completely ignored--it's one of the best examples of games being an important and unique medium I've ever played. It needs to get talked about, at the least.

The only other thing I kinda want to happen is PUBG not being allowed to take a spot on the list, due to it not being fully released at the time of their deliberations. Jeff's arguments that they open up the list for Early Access games starting with a new year in 2018 makes the most sense.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I'm kinda bummed. I haven't played many games from this year and given that I want to eventually play many of them, there will be a ton of categories I'll have to skip over until much later.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

@wemibelle said:

My only real hope is that What Remains of Edith Finch doesn't get completely ignored--it's one of the best examples of games being an important and unique medium I've ever played. It needs to get talked about, at the least.

The only other thing I kinda want to happen is PUBG not being allowed to take a spot on the list, due to it not being fully released at the time of their deliberations. Jeff's arguments that they open up the list for Early Access games starting with a new year in 2018 makes the most sense.

Jeff has also mentioned a few times that Battleground's official 1.0 release date is sometime in December, so it seems like they're going to count it.

I'm going to admit that part of me just doesn't want to hear it. It's not that I don't think the game deserves it, it's that tons of great games got released this year and I really, really don't want those games ignored in favor of a game centered around an incomplete multiplayer shooter with one map and one mode of play (with lone wolf and team variants), even if it does that single mode of play exceptionally well. I'm just personally not interested in that at all.

That's just a part of my opinion on the matter, though - the more important thing is that it's their GOTY podcast and what I think shouldn't factor into their discussion at all. They did play a whole hell of a lot of it, they put up an entire series of videos on the site about it, and inevitably it will get quite a bit of attention from the Giantbomb crew. Seems like Abby is the only person who doesn't have much fondness for the game.

And hey, it's possible that something else will get the top spot. I found myself pretty shocked that Doom didn't get the top spot last year and I doubt I'm the only one, so we'll see.

EDIT: Oh, hey, I did not answer the OP's question. Honestly, I'm not a hundred percent sure what I'm pulling for. Above, I did say that there were a ton of great games released this year and I'll stand behind that - I bought and played several of them, I have yet to buy some that I'm greatly anticipating, and I have greatly admired some of the things that others are doing. But this year was a year where I really needed something old and comfortable rather than new and exciting, so I actually spent a whole lot of it not playing the new games I bought and instead diving into some games that I've become very familiar with, along with long stretches of time where I barely played anything. Nothing really jumps out at me as a game I'm "pulling for" when listening to the GB GOTY podcasts.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Maybe Night in the Woods? It wasn't necessarily my favourite game of the year but a lot of it really spoke to me because of where I'm at it my life right now. I can see it getting passed over as the developer kind of falls into "friends of the site" territory.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa
deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Yakuza 0 gets some love, and I'm hoping to finish Nier soon, so maybe that too. This is the first time I've played a bunch of stuff that may come up and I'm just looking forward to being actually invested when the staff is wrong.

GnosisLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nier: Automata is my pick for this year. I'm worried it's going to end up in the Undertale situation where the two people who played the game loved it, but no one else had even touched it.

Persona 5 was also incredible, but I don't know if any of them actually played it.

I'm sure Pyre will be brought up. I'd love to see it get a spot, but it may just be too small for that.

Beyond that, I would have a hard time narrowing down my list to ten. It's been a hell of a year. I can't even imagine how Best Music will shake out. All three of the games I just listed would win that category in most other years.

twillfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think PUBG should be on the list. It's the most fun game I've played this year early access or not. But it probably shouldn't win.. there are other games that are better.

Also, the way they're treating PUBG I don't think it being "released" matters. They're just going to have to pick a point in time to share their thoughts on it and be over with it. It's likely going to get changed enough over the coming years that it'll be completely broken at times and perfect at others.

Other than that, idk.. Battlefront II? LOL

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Persona, Injustice, Ruiner, Steamworld Dig

And I hope Titanfall 2 wins Best Old Game.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3. How dare they not acknowledge its glory?!

(I mean Assassin's Creed: Origins)

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

none because they never like my games!

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much just Yakuza 0 and Nier Automata, so I might as well just say I'm supporting Alex this year. All my other favourites this year are pretty much a given whether they'll be on or off their list, but I'm super interested in seeing where those two specifically end up, if anywhere. Also Jeff and Brad are holding back on their Nier discussion and I need to hear that discussion.

I'm resigned to the fact that the Best Music category is going to be the most frustrating sit again this year. I'm rooting for Nier in this category, and it's going to bite me in the ass.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I feel like I end up supporting Alex almost every year (which is almost always him going through the seven stages of grief for various games). I do think his picks might be better represented this year than ever, though.

My personal Big Picks are probably Yakuza 0, Mario + Rabbids, and NieR. I hope Destiny 2 get some love; I know they fell off it harder than even the majority of the audience but that was mostly due to circumstance and they seemed to have a ton of fun with it. I'm kinda hoping Tekken 7 gets some attention, too - and I've also just started Dream Daddy and, while I'm only a couple of hours in, I really hope Abby shouting about it made some inroads because that game seems genuinely super charming.

My actual hope is that everything gets its time to be talked about, and that people don't spend too long "gaming the system" with deals versus actually comparing the merits of, and love amongst the staff for, the games in question. I don't mind some of that stuff but I just hope it doesn't detract too much from actually talking about the games. I was a little sad last year that Dark Souls III barely got a mention until the end of the year - I was fine with it not winning anything (despite loving it myself), I just wanted to hear a little more conversation about it.

After all, the conversations are really why I love GotY so much. The actual decisions are fun to get to, but ultimately pretty inconsequential. It's a solid framework for them to have a ton of fun chat about video games.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Both Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and Hollow Knight deserves to win several categories, so I will root for those two.
All of the other games I care about will most likely be brought up enough (Mario, Zelda, Wolfenstein).

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Redhotchilimist

The games from this year I really enjoyed were Edith Finch, Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Persona 5. I don't think there's any hope for a top spot for two of those on Giant Bomb's list, but I think Zelda at least is within the realm of possibility, so I hope it does well. I can also grudgingly respect Horizon and Nier(for the opposed reasons of polish/production values and heart/weirdness), but I'm not rooting for them. I hope Yakuza 0 gets some love, while I haven't played much of it, I loved the Endurance Run Let's Play of it.

If these all fail, I'd be happy about Mario Odyssey or Cuphead. I think I'd love those games, but I haven't had the opportunity to play either of them.

@mems1224 said:

none because they never like my games!

Too true

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Pretty much Nier since I was presently surprised by that one. It's still not my game of the year, but I'm interested in seeing where it gets mentioned and how high it will rank.

cuxun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

knowing how this guys end up talking about GoTY my guess is the games to root for are:

PUBG v Wolfenstein v Neir v Zelda or Mario. And then they give it to something dumb like Dream Daddy just for shits and giggles.

Also Whatever Brad is into will be an hour and a half discussion.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Mario Odyssey, Persona 5 (which I don't expect to fare well), Botw, Horizon ZD, Nier A, Destiny 2 (same as Persona 5...)

I stand in the camp that PubG shouldn't be considered for Goty. I do think the early access rule needs to be changed... starting next year. PubG is the prime example of why it's not needed, but I do think it's unfair for it to be treated differently because people liked it a lot. With that said, it probably will be released within this month. Think I saw it'll be out on Xbone in a few weeks? Which kinda makes this point mute.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HZD because its incredible and its always being overlooked for Nintendo's version, BotW on every media outlet out there
And yes I've played and beaten both, I think HZD is better in almost every way, but thats just me. I also dont have the nostalgia for Nintendo that most people have.

vizard1301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish yakuza 0 gets picked for something,that game blew me away it was just such an amazing game.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

I'm hoping Horizon does well. It's far and away my favourite game of the year, but it didn't seem to get all that much play from the staff at the time.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan
@atastyslurpee said:

HZD because its incredible and its always being overlooked for Nintendo's version, BotW on every media outlet out there

And yes I've played and beaten both, I think HZD is better in almost every way, but thats just me. I also dont have the nostalgia for Nintendo that most people have.

I've played and finished both Botw and Hzd and hate they are so often compared; mostly because they're both open world (like every freakin game nowadays) and released so close together. They are both amazing games and should be equally recognized as such without throwing shade on one to prop up another.

Also, I'm not trying to single you out here duder. It's just a terrible sentiment I see thrown around way too much.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atastyslurpee said:

I've played and finished both Botw and Hzd and hate they are so often compared; mostly because they're both open world (like every freakin game nowadays) and released so close together. They are both amazing games and should be equally recognized as such without throwing shade on one to prop up another.

Also, I'm not trying to single you out here duder. It's just a terrible sentiment I see thrown around way too much.

No I got you man. Thats partially why I made the statement. They are so often compared, my comparison is that HZD was better.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to see PUBG on here because they'll have essentially seen the full game by the time everything is said and done, and I think it is important to recognize that one mode, map, etc can be an incredibly viable game. Simplicity almost always makes for the best games, not an overabundance of content.

Other than that I will be curious about a couple games I didn't play but have a lot of interest in like Prey.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Xcom2: War of the Chosen is my game of the year, I'm pretty sure that fits into 0 categories, criminally under represented on the site.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another year i just didn't play enough games to make a list let alone pick a goty. Last year was the closest i came to getting a top 10 but still didn't quite play enough new games.

I really liked nioh and injustice 2 and i hope they get something but i doubt nioh gets any love. Grim dawn had an expansion that made the game a lot better, as well as xcom 2 but again i doubt those will be in the talks even if they have dlc categories.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Surge. Not even ironically. That game's won me around with it's mechanics, combat and intricate levels. Nioh, as well. It's a compulsive loot chase that might be at a disadvantage due to a February release.

dstopia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one will fight for Hollow Knight and that makes me sad. I hope at least it gets a mention.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I didn't really spend a ton of time with games this year, so all the "2017 was an amazing year for games" stuff sort of surprised me.

That said, Bungie and Bioware being two of my favorite larger studios released a couple of underwhelming games this year, so that probably sours me.

As far as 2017 games I played and want to hear people go to bat for? Wolfenstein 2 was a wild ride. Nier was really cool too.

I also had a ton of fun with Injustice 2 and Thimbleweed Park. I don't expect to hear much about either game, though. That probably rounds up my top 4, frankly.

There's a laundry list of 2017 games I haven't had time to play (I'm still catching up on 2015 and 2016, in a lot of cases).

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ivdamke

@oursin_360 said:

Another year i just didn't play enough games to make a list let alone pick a goty. Last year was the closest i came to getting a top 10 but still didn't quite play enough new games.

I really liked nioh and injustice 2 and i hope they get something but i doubt nioh gets any love. Grim dawn had an expansion that made the game a lot better, as well as xcom 2 but again i doubt those will be in the talks even if they have dlc categories.

Make a top 5, I'm only doing a top 8. No need for hard limitations.

EDIT: For some reason I read that as "writing a top 10" not getting, oh well. Do it anyway!

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'm somewhat optimistic that Hollow Knight will receive a mention somewhere or a nomination for a brand new, made-up category of --

"2017's 2018's 2017's Forsakegotten Game: The One We Wish We Had Had More Time To Play [Except We Kinda Did Have The Time But Just Not Enough Interest, Pollo] But Now That It Is Coming To Switch..."

Other than that I'm fairly certain that Cuphead will do just fine - but maybe not too fine - in earning its recognition without my additional post deliberation support.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't really have clear favorite although I just started Nier and man that game is pretty sweet, might be rooting for that. Hope Yakuza 0 gets some love too.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just here for the fun videos surrounding this stuff. I have zero interest in listening to people argue about arbitrary awards for fifteen hours.

And this attitude has nothing to do with that one year when a hobbit game with Batman combat beat out Bayonetta 2.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I don't mind if my goty gets passed over. I am just here for their opinions and discussions.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poor Prey :'(

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I am picturing you guys sitting on your sofa waving a little pennant with your favorite game written on it similar to that Simpsons gag.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bd2fcb040f9
deactivated-60bd2fcb040f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of the 12 games I played that were also released this year I only really would be willing to put 8 of them on a list. I know there's a ton of other quality stuff I missed that I'll hopefully be able to get to in the first part of 2018. Of those 8 the ones I'm worried about not getting enough attention are Hollowknight and Golf Story.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I am already giving up on Nioh getting any recognition whatsoever. I love PUBG but don't think it should be eligible. I enjoyed Destiny 2 but don't think its worthy of much recognition. For ever step forward they made they actually took 2 sideways or backwards. Tekken 7 was a perfectly good fighting game. Wolfenstein is only good for story, game play kind of sucks. Nier is only interesting for story, game play really sucks. While I didn't get to play it I definitely think that Hellblade will be the most deserving game that will more than likely get ignored this year.

I fully expect to hear Nier be talked into hyperbolic "greatness" while everyone forgets, or ignore, they all said its not really great to play.

Games: Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Assassins Creed: Origins, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Cuphead

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played that many games released this year. I'll be pulling for Wolfenstein II, but that'll probably only get mentioned in Best Story or Moment. And Cuphead in Best Style. Tekken 7 is really good, but I don't know what category it would get mentioned in.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And this attitude has nothing to do with that one year when a hobbit game with Batman combat beat out Bayonetta 2.

you mean that eroge game with the Devil May Cry combat? ;) LOL just kidding, but I'm with you, I enjoy having no horse in the fight and just enjoying the stupidity that flows out of the whole staff being together for a few weeks.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinone said:
@atastyslurpee said:

I started HZD last week because it was on sale and I don't really have anything driving me to go back to it after playing for about 12 hours or so. Zelda on the other hand I couldn't put down for 100+ hours and I've hated every Zelda game before it. Funny thing these video games and our opinions of them haha.

I'm totally backing Breath of the Wild btw. I really like Everybody's Golf as well but I don't know where it would fit in. Best fishing mini game that isn't actually that good?

That's fair. I respect that. I was just like you only flipped, BotW was a great game, but the less structured, more freedom aspect gave me no direction. I like games with a structure especially in an open world and while HZD gave me freedom, it also had an 'objective'. BotW was like' here is this world, have fun' which is fine, but for my personal style, I enjoyed HZD much more. Both are fantastic games, I just feel like Zelda gets more credit than it should based strictly on the Nintendo nostalgia factor. Once BotW came out and turned out to be really good, it didn't really matter what came out after that (besides Odyssey), it was basically crowned GOTY then and there by most, which to me isnt a fair assessment.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hans_maulwurf

I'm hoping Life is Strange and Yakuza get some love and PUBG doesn't get too much love. But ultimately I have no stakes in this and also no expectations that all of a sudden this year their taste in games will suddenly align with mine. Though Hitman goty took me kind of by surprise in that regard last year, so who knows...

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BrainScratch

I'm supporting Dan on his anti-Nier crusade.

And I'm also supporting Yakuza 0, Cuphead, Mario and Zelda overall.

However, I'm not sure if I'm going to follow all of the podcasts, I kinda got tired of it, it's too much arguing and going back and forward. I wish it was more of just "hey these games were pretty good and we're going to talk about them" instead of discussing where each games stays on a ranking.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By elmorales94

I'm primarily supporting Night In the Woods getting as high up the list as possible.

The next thing I'm most passionate about is Abby and Dan pushing Nier as far down the list as possible.

Then I'll be rooting for Persona, but my enthusiasm for that is highly tempered since I know his has a 0% chance of making the top ten. I'll be pulling for it in style and music, at least.

Finally, I'm hoping Horizon makes the list at all. That seems like a real toss-up at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm rooting for Night in the Woods, Cuphead, Hollow Knight, Wolfenstein 2 and RUINER.
Hollow Knight will most likely get no love at all since nobody on staff seemed to like it enough to speak strongly for it. I'm hoping RUINER gets some discussion for best style and best music.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Supporting games is a slippery slope for me, when I stay as neutral as possible when listening, regardless of my personal top 10, I find I finish the GB GOTY podcasts 100% less salty.

HugoBossk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stand with Alex on Nier Automata.

Glory to mankind.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By donchipotle

If Nier doesn't crack the top 5 I will riot and be angry. That game is the most interesting major release of the year and I will verbally fight anyone who disagrees. Especially if someone who disagrees thinks Metal Gear Solid is the best story in video games. Not to name any names.

I'll also be throwing my hat in the ring for Horizon, Persona 5, Yakuza 0, and the hope that Bea is a runner up (if not winner) of Best New Character. Honestly a lot of games this year felt a bit...more of the same or else just didn't leave much of an impression so a top ten is more like a reminder of games that came out. I'd be cool with Prey getting some love, as doubtful as it may be. Same with Metroid: Samus Returns.

I will roll my eyes, but understand totally, when BOTW gets a top spot. Doubly so for Odyssey. Those games are the definition of 'good first impression' and that's all they've got. Which makes them perfect darlings.