Which Giant Bomb Crew Member do you agree with most on videogames?

• 117 results
CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sorry if this has been asked before but I've always wanted to know who the GB community relate to the most when it comes to their choices in video games. This is not a "who do you like the most"-question but more about what GB member's reviews or outlook on videogames do you tend to agree with the most.

As someone that's been with these guys since the GameSpot days, I think I have a fairly good idea of which members I relate to the most in terms of video games. I've factored in reviews, types of games they like, and the level of openness they have to games that I would find interesting. Also, if you don't want to factor in reviews, then that's fine. Rorie hasn't done many reviews but definitely has some interesting viewpoints on games... same with Vinny and Jason.

I was going to put a poll, but realized that doesn't make any sense because there can be combinations of GB crew members that people can relate to the most instead of one person, for example, I may not like "Brad games" but if Dan and Brad like a game, then I will probably like it.

mine are:

1. Brad

2. Brad + Jeff

3. Dan

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good question.

Jeff is a very mechanics focused guy. It doesn't matter how good everything else is if the game doesn't feel good to play. I like a lot of games that aren't the most polished or interesting, gameplay wise. So that probably rules out Dan too, because he isn't interested in story focused games at all. It's hard to separate Brad from Brad Games. I have less than zero interest in games like Starcraft, DOTA, or Destiny. So he's out. I like a lot of Jason Games, and it's a lame how they treat his game preferences on the site. But some of the things he likes are a little too Jason even for me.

You know, I'm going to have to go with Vinny on this one. I like Adventure games. I can have fun with a lot of different things. I can have a good time with a game even if it's not the best.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I think Jason and Ben are probably the closest to me in terms of taste in games, but those guys don't write reviews, and I'm not entirely sure that I like the games for the same reasons they do. I can also get down with Dan Ryckert's taste for Nintendo stuff, but again, not all the same games or anything. Brad is my worst match, he's all in on RTS/MOBA stuff, dull loot/progression systems, "I heard the framerate is bad"/"This game is doing amazing stuff techonologically/graphically" stuff and this experience is really hitting me right in the heart you gotta play it games that don't have the same effect on me, like Brothers or Inside. Brad loving something is pretty much a warning sign for me.

I don't really go to the GB members for purchasing advice on games. I go to the kinds of people on youtube that can get deep into this kind of game or this kind of game and look at what they have to say about it, combined with my own experience with the genre and how good videos of it looks. The GB conversations aren't something I take to heart as "Ah, X person liked it, then I need to play it". So it's fine that there's nobody on staff that really likes all the stuff I do, it's not what I'm here for.

dpedal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is a tough one, I am going Brad and / or Vinny. I like hearing Jeff's thoughts on mechanics and such as @luchalma mentions, but I am not a fighting game guy at all!! Tried them but just don't get them. Lately though I have enjoyed Ben's tastes.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All but Alex.

I don't really agree with Alex on anything. :-D

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

I'd say Vinny. Vinny pulls from the largest variety of gaming and seems like he's more willing to play some odd, under the radar, indie game rather than playing the latest hype game.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess Vinny? There isn't really an RPG guy on staff

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Tough to say, but I think I lean closer to Vinny and Jeff. Vinny because he seems to be the only one on staff who actually enjoys old school point & click adventure games. I know Brad has some nostalgia for the old Sierra stuff but I don't know how much he enjoys playing any of that nowadays. And Jeff is just more of a gameplay/mechanics kind of guy when it comes to most games which I also am.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I align with Jason quite a bit (character action, Monster Hunter, etc..) but I'm not quite as big on fighting games as he is.

I was going to say Jeff too because I tend to like the games he gets really into but he also tends to despise games that I really enjoy. I'm more likely to overlook performance issues and quirky mechanics I guess.

Interesting thought experiment.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Blannir

I'd go with Jeff, he tends to look at games with a more measured eye and doesn't really get swept up in hype. I like that he is very careful with heaping praise on a game until he's really had a chance to dig in and pick apart the mechanics of what works and what doesn't.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Generally Brad and Jeff. Sort of a mix between the two, but I know if Jeff likes something there's a chance I'll like it, too, and what Brad gets excited about I'll get excited about, too.

But, when it comes to GOTY discussions I usually side with Jeff on arguments when it comes between the two.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hans_maulwurf

That's really a race to the bottom. Even if I do end up liking/disliking the same game as any of them do it's often for completely different reasons.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff for the more grounded critical takes (for something to impress him there must be something to it), and Brad for the more pie in the sky views and for just having a real passion for games that shines through. Plus it's always a treat to read his reviews (*cough* write more! *cough*)

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#14  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Vinny and Alex probably, out of the current staff. Historically it has definitely been Dave and Drew though, loved it when there was a lot of simulation, strategy and space sim coverage, but I'm into most of the adventure games Vinny has brought up. And, yeah.

Thumper.

Dan seems to have most of the same preferences as me when it comes to strategy games, RTS games in particular (as did Drew however), but I wouldn't say there's much overlap in our opinions when it comes to any other genre. Brad seems to enjoy many of the same genres, but seems to enjoy and dislike pretty much the opposite aspects than I do.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By liquiddragon

For the longest time, I thought it was Brad but I think is Old Vinny + a tiny hint of Jeff. The Old Vinny had a lot of time and was willing to jump in and try out most games and come to conclusion after finishing them and once in a while he would really not like something and with Jeff, some of the mechanical nit-picks I can get behind. Papa Vinny just doesn't have the time and can't get into it like he use to.

I think I like a wider spectrum of games than most of the crew so I like what some of the individuals like but I don't quite have the almost violent reaction of the things I'm not into and rarely feel like something I dislike is "garbage". I don't know Ben well enough but he seems be a bit more open, Abby seems a bit more picky.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Its still mostly brad for me and second place Jeff. I don't tend to disagree with the others, I just don't have the same hype for the games they hype.

Skullomania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm ride or die Vinny all day! I think he's got a broad taste but loves the obscure at times and is a sucker for a cool aesthetic. I also for sure enjoy a decent RPG of any kind and I've played way more Sonic and Sega All Star Racing than I care to admit (and I don't have a kid)

Also, "Mass Effect 2 is the game of the generation, you people are crazy." + "Mario Maker is not the best game of 2015, you people are crazy."

I also cannot do Mobas, RTS games or any technical fighting games.

I could say Dan, but his mechanics over all other things philosophy kinda separates us.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rorie, I think. He's the one most into CRPGs and story-based gaming in general; but so rarely gets to talk about what he's playing. Besides him, probably Vinny; though I do also rely on Jeff to know if a game is actually good or it's just hype (There are plenty of good games that he doesn't like, but I've never really seen him like a bad game).

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

When it comes to Single player games probably Vinny, multiplayer games Brad. Gun to the head you can only pick one situation, I'd pick Brad since his taste in single player games is closer to mine than Vinny's taste in multiplayer games.

But really it probably goes more granular than that, down to even developer and genre.

e.g. when it comes to FPS games and racing games Jeff's opinion matters the most to me, I just don't play many of those. And I find my feelings on Nintendo games are similar to Dan's. Even though our rationale is often different his score is often close to what I'd score a game. I'll turn to Jason on a alot of more obscure japanese stuff and Alex seems like secretly the most reliable generalist on the staff. Ben and Abby I don't know very well yet, but I'm sure I'll discover where their tastes align with mine before long. So really everybody's opinion has a lot of value, just have to know what a person's strengths and weaknesses are.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cornfed40

I'm just glad that it is a pretty varied crew. People like some of the same games, but usually for pretty different reasons. Vinny probably lines up clsoest to my own personal tastes, but no one is a perfect match.

Jason is probably the furthest away from me in terms of what I like, and I would probably never play 85% of the games he likes and spends a lot of time with, but its still interesting to hear about other stuff, even if I have no interest at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's tough because I have way more of an interest in RPGs, and Japanese games more broadly, than anyone on the staff has, or ever had. So I guess if I had to pick, I'd say Vinny, since he's typically the most open-minded, but for the games we do line up on (shooters, open-world action games) Jeff is better at articulating an opinion I line up with and good at prioritizing "game feel." Pie-in-the-sky, combine Jeff and Jason, subtract the love of fighting games, and that's probably as close as you could get.

I think Alex is my favorite reviewer on the site at this stage, though.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It used to be Ryan :(

Now I think its Alex. Not always, but far more than any of the west coast.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

At this point? I dunno. Maybe Jason, because he likes Monster Hunter. I feel like my tastes have drifted pretty far from most of the GB crew over the years. They tend to treat most of the games I like (i.e. RPGs, Strategy stuff, a lot of mechanically dense stuff) as inscrutable or insurmountable. That's fine, but it does mean that I tend to roll my eyes a lot whenever those kinds of games are mentioned.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zeik

Alex is probably the closest these days. He played and liked P5, Nier: Automata, and Yakuza 0, which all gives him points in my book. Although I do appreciate Vinny's eclectic tastes and willingness to try weird stuff and dumb fmv games.

The GB crew has never really meshed with my tastes though, being a fan of RPGs and niche Japanese games of various varieties. Austin was probably the closest anyone on the crew has gotten to sharing my tastes, (which is why it was duch a bummer when he left), but even his unusual tastes tend to often veer pretty far from my own. While I still occasionally enjoy listening to them talk about games they are passionate about, their actual opinions rarely influence my own.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny used to be almost one to one with me in regards to what games he played, what he appreciated in games and the way he played them. As time has gone on and Vinny has gotten less time to play games (and his tastes have probably changed over time too) we have started to differ a fair bit, but I still think he is the one I agree the most with out of the crew.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Probably Vinny with a bit of Jeff and Dan, as I can truly love terrible games if they are ridiculous enough or fun to fuck around in/try to break. Also, FMV games are great.

Alex: I share his love of music games, at least. It's hard to tell what he actually likes and hates, given his persona.

Brad: I like a lot of what Brad likes, especially old-school shooters, but we're polar opposites just as often.

Rorie: Very little in common. He seems to be immune to gaming nostalgia, whereas that's my bread and butter. Matt Rorie Presents: Alpha Protocol: A Matt Rorie Production was awesome, though.

Jason: I like fighting games and all, but not at all in the way Jason does. +1 on being the sole defender of the horror genre with Patrick gone, though.

I don't know enough about Abby or Ben's tastes to say just yet.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I think Vinny. Although he plays some types of games I can't touch like Kerbal, he is the staff member who champions narrative adventure games, and it feels like he and Patrick are the only people in all of Giant Bomb who ever played a visual novel. Besides that, we agree on plenty of random games over the past few years like Overwatch, Metal Gear Solid V, and Life is Strange.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Hmm Vinny I think.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Probably Brad? Cross between Brad and Jeff probably.

Nomad175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nomad175

Abby and Jeff are probably the ones I'm most similar to in terms of taste. Old GBE (Vinny, Austin, and Alex) are generally close, but Jeff and Abby are pretty much the people I find best represent how I'll feel about a game while I'm playing it. Also, I agree 110% with Abby when it comes to lore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4a957513e44
deactivated-5b4a957513e44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I do agree with Jeff; mechanics are a game's core. That is why we come back to them. However, Jeff and Dan tend to assert their opinion through loud noises rather than a reasoned argument. With Vinny, he seems to like everything and give it a shot. Vinny tends to be the most positive staff member, and tries all sorts of games.

Vinny for the win!

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None. I come to Giant Bomb for the varying personalities that make me laugh and cry. And while I respect their opinion on games, I couldn't disagree more with them. Not a single duders taste in games matches mines and that's ok, sometimes I like to hear them discuss a game I didnt care for or how they disliked my favorite game.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It was definitely Ryan when he was still with us. Nowadays I would say Dan...with a caveat. If he likes a game then I can assume that I will probably like it too. If he dislikes a game then all bets are off.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By ArtisanBreads

It was Austin the most probably but now? I don't even know. I usually honestly completely disagree with them. I got over getting angry about it when I grew up but listening to them talk the Witcher 3 for example did still annoy me. I like RPGs and strategy games quite a bit for example so there's about not much on GB for my tastes in that regard. But it's about more than that and sometimes I appreciate getting a look at games that I wouldn't play at all.

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad or Vinny. Brad cause we like similar games and Vinny cause I like to complete stuff sometimes.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Vinny for me - when I found out how much he loved Sleeping Dogs and broken games, I knew we were kindred gaming spirits.

cashbasket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jiff. We both may like different games, but we both DON'T like the same ones :)

Jibanyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Alex; his passion for Thumper played a big part in getting me to check it out, and that was my favorite game of last year. Aside from that, nobody on staff is really into JRPGs, so...!

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's probably Vinny, we overlap the most I think. Sometimes Rorie, though I'm not that much of an MMO person.

buttle826

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more I think about it, the more I realize it's Alex. We both are willing to give the weird, interesting games a shot. We both love story focused games. We both love rhythm games. And neither of us is super into multiplayer, but sometimes succumb to things like Splatoon or Overwatch.

Welding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny and Austin (ex bomber, but still).

Games interested in systemic narratives, immersive worlds and unnecessary details.
Also big robots.

Nulix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny and Alex. Austin as well, if we're counting ex Giant Bomb boys.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Brad & Vinny. Mostly Brad with the whole Starcraft , Dota , Destiny arch. I never played Destiny, but i think i would be pretty into it. Vinny for the adventure & management games. Both like Dark souls-ish games as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Definitely Papa Vinny. The others don't even come close.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

There's no real overlap for me - I like games across a wide variety of areas that the others don't really like (CRPG's, Total War games etc, Sports games) but then don't like some of the games that the guys gush a lot about - I'm not big into indie games or rogue likes (though there are of course exceptions to the rule). I'd probably lean to a combination of Vinny and Alex mostly

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I suppose Alex in terms of, well, I consider sports games not just a valuable resource but the primary thing that I do. I will buy MLB The Show and NBA 2K every year, and the rest is up in the air. I'm not even a "wait for sales!" guy so much as I just get so wrapped up in my summer of Diamond Dynasty with MLB and my fall/winter of MyLeague with NBA 2K that I often will purchase games and then completely forget to play them.

So also, in that sense, none of them? In terms of the sorts of games that will come up on the podcasts, it's a bit of a toss up between Jeff and Vinny, but I'm not much of a first person shooter fan other than Destiny and DOOM 2016 and it's been over a decade since I was in the adventure game rabbit hole, so...honestly, I don't have much of an answer. I also put a ton of time into Civ IV, so...hey Alex, this Bud's for you.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Jason for me. Fighting games and MH, winning combination.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This would have made a good poll to see the results at a glance.

When it comes to games Brad shares most of my sensibilities. On the other end of the spectrum is Jason as fighters and Monster Hunter play no role in my life.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's who I most align with and trust for judgments on games @ GB, it's easily Jeff. Of the games he has reviewed and I have played a lot of, I either agree with his scores and assessments or we're like one point off. There's an outlier in the books somewhere no doubt, but that's how I've felt about his reviews on games many, many times. As far as game genre preferences, it's either Jeff or Vinny I guess, but Vinny does like the weird and broken stuff way more than me, but that rpg love is strong.