Which Halo Is the Best?

• 56 results
Posted by Coolbob423465 (19 posts) 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Which Halo Is the Best? (224 votes)

Halo Reach 20%
Halo CE (Halo 1) 23%
Halo 2 8%
Halo 3 41%
Halo 4 1%
Halo 5 1%
Can't Decide (2 way tie) specify 1%
Can't Decide (3 way tie) below 2%
Halo Wars (ugh) 2%
#1 Posted by mems1224 (2514 posts) -

2-best multiplayer

3-best campaign

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
#4 Posted by deactivated-5b031d0e868a5 (935 posts) -
#5 Posted by Luchalma (554 posts) -

Based entirely on the campaigns, Halo Reach easily. I've played them all quite recently and as much as I want to say Halo CE, that game has some very serious pacing and level design problems. Halo 2 becomes a slog. Halo 4 and 5 are simply forgettable. Halo 3 and ODST are the only real competition. And they're great, but Reach was just something special.

#6 Posted by captain_max707 (675 posts) -

For me it's Halo 2, followed closely by 1.

#7 Edited by Gutsfree (3 posts) -

I always thought Reach and I'd say the campaign is the best but playing it recently, the gameplay feels like a way worse version of Destiny. Too clunky, especially with sprint as a powerup. I think Halo Combat Evolved holds up the best.

#8 Posted by The_Greg (549 posts) -

Halo 3, without a doubt. All round brilliant game with hours of fun in both single player and multiplayer.

Halo CE is 2nd, simply because of how impressive it was at the time.

#9 Posted by cubidog (96 posts) -

I absolutely loved the first three games! Every weekend we'd have a bbq at my house, and we'd do Halo lan parties. Those are some of my fondest memories of my childhood. But in the end I would have to go with Halo 3 being my favorite. It had another stellar campaign, and the local multiplayer was still fantastic. But this time I got xbox live, and it was the probably the first real online game I played. Also it had forge, and my god I can't tell you how many hours I spent messing with maps and playing some actually amazing maps!

ODST was overpriced and I didn't really enjoy the campaign as much as the first three games. Firefight was cool, but Reach's firefight was better in every way. Speaking of Reach, it probably has the best campaign in the series. But I also didn't enjoy the multiplayer as much as the first three games. Maybe it was because everybody I played the older games with had moved on to Call of Duty. It was still fun, and I loved the jetpacks, but I didn't really like many of the maps. Forge World was interesting though.

Halo 4 was the last Halo I played. I tried playing the campaign on two separate occasions years apart from each other, and on both I got about halfway through the campaign. It just wasn't as exciting as the old games were. I don't know why, but I just wasn't having much fun. The competitive multiplayer was good, but by this point, Halo was doing what all other shooters were doing, and that was copying Call of Duty. I was pretty good at the multiplayer too, which is a shame because I didn't have any friends or family to play with. Solo matchmaking isn't as much fun.

I never played 5, but the warzone mode looked very interesting. It was not implemented as well as it should have been, but hopefully they can fix that whenever they do Halo 6. I haven't heard too many good things about the campaign, which is sad. The best part of 5 looks like the absolutely insane maps and modes people have created suing forge! I have seen tons of interesting and fun maps and modes made in that game, and if I had friends that would play that stuff, I would buy Halo 5 in a heartbeat!

#10 Posted by meteora3255 (681 posts) -

It has to be Reach for me. It was Bungie putting together everything they learned throughout the series and distilling it into a single game.

#11 Posted by Sallad (34 posts) -

No ODST in the poll?

#12 Posted by two_socks (519 posts) -

3, no doubt.

#13 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (3017 posts) -

Halo 3 is the best, most complete game Bungie has made. The campaign was fantastic and a great way to end Master Chief's story. Having 4 player online co-op for the entire campaign was also awesome. The multiplayer built upon what they started with Halo 2 and went above and beyond. Forge and the Theater mode were true innovations, especially for a console game. The offering of game modes and maps was impressive, and they kept up with good post launch support, adding a wide array of maps and keeping the available playlists fresh. They even included community made maps and modes in public playlists as time went on with things like Grifball and the always fun "Action Sack." They also did some really cool things with achievements, adding the very difficult Vidmaster Challenges which rewarded the coveted Recon Armor (looking back these sort of feel like a proto-version of Destiny raids and Nigthfalls, complete with a heavy focus on highly challenging co-op play requiring solid team communication).

With all that said, Halo 2 is probably my favorite Halo game. It came out my freshman year of high school and I was playing the multiplayer on Xbox Live with my friends pretty much throughout high school (at least until Halo 3 came out). Halo 3 is the better game, but it came out when I was starting my senior year, and I just didn't have the same long term social experience with it. My friends and I all sort of went our own ways, focusing on new things as high school came to a close, and it just didn't capture that magic of talking about the game every day in the cafeteria and all jumping online the second we got home and playing until we went to bed. I'm sure there are those a few years younger than me that there seminal multiplayer FPS experience with Halo 3, and those even younger with Reach or the newer games in the series.

For me though, Halo 2 was the perfect game for the time in my life when it came out, and I have hard time imagining any other multiplayer FPS, let alone Halo game, taking its place in my mind.

#14 Posted by Fram (1871 posts) -

ODST is my personal fave for its campaign and Firefight mode. But Halo 3 was straight up incredible.

#15 Posted by Justin258 (15693 posts) -

The first one.

It's actually Reach, because it's better-balanced than any of the others and manages to be ridiculously difficult on Legendary without being unfairly difficult (mostly), a thing that most modern shooters can only dream of. It also has better level design than any of the other games as well as more varied environments without using the old video game standbys of "snow world, desert world, forest world" and so on. It controls better than pretty much any other console shooter, even including Call of Duty, and no part of it feels wasted, overly long, or too short. It was easily Bungie at the top of their game.

But really, it's the first one. I like the first one the most. I like its imperfections, I like what it gets right, I like its story, I like its 2001-ass look, I think it controls exceptionally well even compared to other shooters in 2018. That first Halo game is still my favorite, despite having the biggest list of obvious issues.

#16 Posted by Tesla (2296 posts) -

1. Halo CE

2. ODST

3. Reach

#17 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8958 posts) -

I voted 3 but I think a strong argument could be made for Reach too.

#18 Edited by Cerberus3Dog (1029 posts) -

I did not enjoy the "alien butthole" levels in 3. I can't remember what levels those were called but when you are inside the alien ship and they make you slow walk while Cortana is going crazy. I picked Halo CE because it defined a portion of my childhood and it was the one I had the most fun with playing local multiplayer with friends.

#19 Edited by BrunoTheThird (855 posts) -

ODST my absolute fave, but Combat Evolved is default best. I like Halo Wars a lot, though -- no "ugh" from me!

Reach was weird for me. It's the only Halo game that I played from start to finish without experiencing any emotion or strong reaction whatsoever. It was the most uneventful, baseline "this game is pretty decent," mood I've been in. My face was completely dead the whole time. Creepy.

I at least hated everything about 4's storytelling while enjoying the shooting, but Reach just came and went for me. Maybe it's time I replayed it.

#20 Posted by Pie (7364 posts) -

Halo 3 is a spectacular game.

Probably the best campaign of the series.

Perfected the multiplayer from 2.

Added forge mode which added tons of user made crazy stuff to the multiplayer.

Full online campaign co-op.

The Theatre mode was way ahead of its time and only now are developers catching up with that idea.

Some of the set pieces in the campaign like fighting the two scarabs are still incredible to play.

I don't think there has been such a complete package since. Maybe the orange box which came out a few weeks later but that doesn't really count

#21 Edited by FrostyRyan (2925 posts) -

Halo 3. It's just the perfect Halo game. Should have ended there.

#22 Posted by FrodoBaggins (2120 posts) -

Halo CE is undoubtedly the best, followed by Halo 2.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
#23 Posted by OpusOfTheMagnum (647 posts) -

CE and 3 are close for me. 3 is almost certainly the better game and it added so much that I consider key to Halo like the saved games and Forge and scoring and 4 player coop and skulls, man that game added so much to the formula on all sides. Even the equipment stuff was kind of interesting. The experience of getting flared for the first time in the campaign was hilarious. And hey, that water is still kind of impressive!

Halo 3 also came about right in the sweetspot of my youth just as I was becoming susceptible to the hype train. I obsessed over every bit of coverage for that game. Remember when chief had that ridiculous normal mapping? Real time reflections?

ODST gets an honorable mention just for what it contributed to the series.

Honestly everything released by Bungie is all pretty close

Anything made by 343 was hugely disappointing to me. The story sucked, the sandbox was neutered thanks to the lack of variety with the new faction, the MP was okay but it all got away from what I liked about Halo 4 and on just don't feel like Halo games to me. Even Reach, which was a pretty big departure felt more like a mainline Halo than 4 and did in my opinion.

#24 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7695 posts) -

Greetings, Professor Falken...

No Caption Provided

#25 Posted by cmblasko (2952 posts) -

Halo CE, 2, 3 and Reach are all outstanding games and I would gladly play any one of them right now for hours on end, especially multiplayer.

My personal favorite is 2 since that is the one I grew up on and played way too much multiplayer in high school. But objectively I think 3 is the crown jewel of the series. The campaign was as good as a Halo campaign is going to be, but Bungie went so far and beyond what was expected with multiplayer that it makes the game stand out to me as one of the most impressive sequels of all time. They fixed the design flaws from 2 and perfected the multiplayer design they had been working towards since CE. The multiplayer was jam packed with different items and weapons which led to a ton of variety and customization when it cam to using Forge. The game play recording feature is still the best of its kind based on features and ease of use. The maps offered a good mix of great new levels and old favorites and were all very well balanced. If I had to guess, 3 had the highest player count of the series. Just an all around extremely well polished game.

I miss playing Halo multiplayer, hopefully 6 turns out to be great and XBox One price goes down enough that I can justify picking one up just to play Halo.

#26 Posted by SirDeimos (12 posts) -

No love for ODST? :(

#27 Posted by oldenglishc (1549 posts) -
No Caption Provided

#28 Posted by butterstick1 (45 posts) -

well for me its a tossup between Reach and ODST, but OP forgot that one existed.

#29 Posted by NTM (11906 posts) -

I like them all. I just wanted to say though, what is happening with the abundance of (spam?) threads. What is going on?

#30 Posted by Jaalmo (1754 posts) -

Halo 3 was the most memorable but Halo Reach was Halo at its very peak best.

#31 Edited by OurSin_360 (6229 posts) -

I put 2, it was the last one i beat. 3 was disappointing at the time since it felt like a slightly upresed xbox game. If i get a xbone i may give it another shot, i played a bit of reach and it was alright

#32 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (1381 posts) -

Halo Reach is the best Halo. You know why? Because there is no stupid Flood in it!

#33 Edited by pweidman (2870 posts) -

Halo: Reach for sp campaign pretty easily. Halo 3 for mp, although Halo 5 is damn good with all the pvp and the fantastic Warzone modes. And btw, Halo Wars 2 is a legit, very good rts; the best on a console ime.

#34 Posted by Fugoy (110 posts) -

3 and it's not even close. The multiplayer innovations they made with the way custom games worked and multiple playlists. The campaign that ad some bumps but overall had a nice conclusive ending to "the fight". Then there's forge which is still in 2018 an incredible mode that made for limitless possibilities.

If halo 3 was the only multiplayer game I could play for the rest of my life I wouldn't be mad one bit.

#35 Posted by Wemibelle (2650 posts) -

I enjoy the campaign from the original the most, despite its pacing problems, but I probably would say 2 is the best for me solely due to the multiplayer, which is still the best in the series. It had some of the best multiplayer maps ever made, a hardcore ranking system for those that wanted it, and (mostly) fun glitches that actually made their way into the competitive meta instead of being shamed or fixed. Everyone likes to say 3 was an improvement, but I HATED the multiplayer in 3, despite spending more time than I've ever spent on any subsequent multiplayer game on 2. It was bad enough that I pretty much went back to 2 until Reach came out, which was the next best multiplayer in the series. To this day, I still cannot understand the people who hold up 3's multiplayer as the best, as I just don't remember anything redeeming about it, save the outside functionality stuff that had no bearing on the actual gameplay.

Avatar image for justtakemymoney
#36 Edited by justtakemymoney (50 posts) -

No ODST? Poll is void.

#37 Edited by nutter (2397 posts) -

WHERE THE SAM HELL IS ODST?

Ranking of Halos:

God-tier

- Halo ODST

- Halo 3

- Halo: CE

- Halo Reach

Good-tier:

- Halo 2

- Halo Wars

- Halo Wars 2

Garbage-tier (not really, they’re good enough, but still the weakest):

- Halo 4

- Halo 5

#38 Posted by CrazyBagMan (1677 posts) -

I liked Reach best, and I'm happy to see that it's pretty high on the poll.

#39 Edited by KirkyX (370 posts) -

For me:

Halo: CE has the best campaign if you’re playing alone, and as that’s ultimately my favourite way to experience Halo, it gets the top spot.

Halo 3 has both the best co-op campaign - the first time I fought a Scarab with my friends remains one of my all time favourite multiplayer gaming experiences - and, to my taste at least, the best competitive multiplayer as well... So it’s in second.

Reach has the next best campaign, so it gets third.

4th: ODST

5th: 2

6th: 4

7th: 5 (by a bloody huge margin. I like every other game on this list, but I found playing through Halo 5’s campaign an utterly wretched experience. It’s the only Halo game I legitimately dislike, and the only one I’ve only played through once.)

I find it difficult to rank the Wars games with these, ‘cause they’re just so different. (And I haven’t actually gotten around to playing Wars 2 yet.)

#40 Posted by Coolbob423465 (19 posts) -
#41 Posted by mems1224 (2514 posts) -

@wemibelle: feel exactly the same way regarding the multiplayer. I played a ton of 3 but it never came close to being on par with 2. The map design, the gameplay, the objective game modes, the ranking system, the dumb glitches were all better in 2.

I'd say that as far as multiplayer goes 3 is better than 4 and that's it. 2, 5, Reach and 1 all have way better multiplayer.

#42 Edited by Justin258 (15693 posts) -

To the people saying that 3's multiplayer is good but not as memorable as 2's - that's gotta be a "the one you played in high school" thing. I have very few memories of playing Halo 2 online in its later days, but I played hundreds of hours, maybe thousands, of 3 with my friends in high school and it was all so much fun. Also, Halo 2 doesn't have Forge, which I spent a lot of time fucking around in.

#43 Posted by nutter (2397 posts) -

@justin258: Halo 2 was monumental for online multiplayer, but Halo 3 had the better gameplay and maps.

#44 Posted by nutter (2397 posts) -

@coolbob423465: Very different games, but both very good games with timelines that basically intersect, if I remember right.

#45 Posted by BoOzak (2687 posts) -

1>3>2>4>R>5>ODST>other spinoffs

The first games story went downhill after the flood appeared but I found fighting the flood to be more enjoyable in that game than the later ones.

To the people saying that 3's multiplayer is good but not as memorable as 2's - that's gotta be a "the one you played in high school" thing. I have very few memories of playing Halo 2 online in its later days, but I played hundreds of hours, maybe thousands, of 3 with my friends in high school and it was all so much fun. Also, Halo 2 doesn't have Forge, which I spent a lot of time fucking around in.

I feel like Halo 2's multiplayer was memorable for a lot of people because it was their first online console shooter experience. Since Halo 1 was that for me it was much less memorable but i'm willing to admit that Halo 3 had much better online mostly due to the console being built for it from the beginning.

#46 Posted by sammo21 (5976 posts) -

For me it goes:

1. Halo: Reach
2. Halo 3
3. Halo ODST
4. Halo 2
5. Halo: Combat Evolved
6. Halo 4
7. Halo 5

#47 Posted by TobbRobb (6591 posts) -

I have the strongest personal attachment to the original. But 3 is not far off, and I think overall is the best and most complete game they've made.

#48 Edited by inevpatoria (7487 posts) -

God, I love Reach. It's definitely my favorite and, in my opinion, the perfect swan song for the Bungie vision of the franchise.

The original has a special place for being such a formative game. Halo 2 defined online console gaming. Halo 3 is the ultimate realization of the promise made by its two predecessors. ODST is a brilliant capsule narrative. You could very well make a serious argument for any of the Bungie-led releases.

I don't begrudge anyone for loving Halo 4 or 5, whether for the former's dedication to humanizing and recontextualizing classic characters or for the latter's emphatic return to the world of competitive multiplayer. But it takes a genuine saint to have an unqualified positive take on either of the 343 Halo entries. No game is perfect, of course. It just happens to be the case that both Halos 4 and 5 have very real, very unfortunate blind spots.

#50 Edited by sfw44 (275 posts) -
  1. Halo 3
  2. Halo 2
  3. Halo CE
  4. Reach
  5. Halo 3 ODST
  6. Halo 5
  7. Halo 4
  8. Halo Wars 2
  9. Halo Wars

The single player in 5 is an embarrassment to Halo but, for me 5 is better than 4 for me because the multiplayer is better in 5 imo.