Which JRPG Should I Play Now 3: Revenge of the Log

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which JRPG Should I Play Now 3: Revenge of the Log (223 votes)

Suikoden 2 (PS1 played on PS3) 18%
Persona 3 FES (PS2 version) 46%
Skies of Arcadia (DC or GC) 14%
Earthbound (SNES) 15%
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PS1) 8%

So as some of you may (or likely will not) remember, I ran a poll 6 months ago for what JRPG I should have played by now (Here). Well, I finally got around to finishing that and even wrote a ton of thoughts about my experience with it. You can find that here on my blog (clicky). Because I hate spamming links to my blog and don't want to be a self-promoting jerk (and I don't want to double post it there and on GB), I figured I'd also get your thoughts on the next round of this amazing journey.

I'll choose a winner on July 3 at 12PM CST! Any votes after that will not be counted for sake of my sanity.

As for this episode's contenders, I had one rule: No Square. Since the episodes of this "feature" have been Squaresoft/Square Enix games, we need to mix it up. I found some good changeups to the routine this time and tried to not just fill it with PS1 games.

• Suikoden 2: I've heard this is a must play, and I have it on my PS3. No time like the present, right?
  • Persona 3 FES: Since Persona 5 is coming and I played 4 last year, now is the time to build the list
  • Skies of Arcadia: Again, another must play. Since I have it for Gamecube and Dreamcast, I'll decide on the version if it wins. Compelling arguments welcome on that front
  • Earthbound: Y'all know why and I'm tired of that cart staring at me asking to be played
  • Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete: This comes at the suggestion of some friends of mine. Always wanted to check it out

As usual, the game will be one of these 5. While I appreciate "write-ins" trying to manage a 100+ game poll is daunting. So, making a list of 5 and working like that seems to be a good path. If you want to make a suggestion for the next round, that's totally cool. Just know I may or may not be able to work it in.

If people are interested in the other episodes I did on this, I also wrote them up on that same blog. Feel free to check them out if you want! I'm trying to do game blogging once a week just to try something new and any advice/critique is welcome!

• 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because I can't edit the original post: I also put this on a friend's Facebook group. After the cutoff time, I will combine those polls and post the final results.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I'm playing Suikoden 2 at present, therefore you must as well (not as good as V, but an appealing game to be sure). Persona 3 and Skies of Arcadia (GC version has more shit, seems like a fine game from the ~10 hours I had with it) also in my backlog, though not playing persona makes for entertaining conversations with giant bomb people so that's a definite plus. Always found Earthbound to be quite overrated, I'm sure it's fine but unremarkable relative to the giants of its era.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

I have a feeling option 1 will win, but I voted P3FES in honor of P5 coming out soon-ish. If you do play Skies of Arcadia, I'd recommend the Gamecube version due to having more content and much lower rate of random encounters.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Had to put in a vote for Persona 3. Great game.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of your list, the only one I've played is Lunar. Which is probably odd since it's the least popular of the bunch. It was one of my favorite games back in the early-mid 90s. I'm sure some of that had to do with it being probably almost the only game worth playing on my phat Sega CD. Not sure if it holds up, but I remember loving it then.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'd say go for Skies of Arcadia. I played through it a handful of years back and while it's JRPG as hell, there's a certain freshness to some aspects of it.

As for write ins, I'd like to mention Legend of Heroes. Trails in the sky was released on PSP in 2011, but I never got around to really playing it until recently. There are 3 Sky games, 2 are currently on steam and I believe the 3rd is on it's way. The first Cold Steel game is on Vita with the second on the way. The combat is Grandia-esque and the writing is really fun and refreshing. It's a really good series.

rabincrabmink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All 5 of these are really great and you should play them all. Earthbound is my favorite - I've never seen a game show what a little kid thrown into something insane would feel like so well. Suikoden 2 has a ton of characters and references to Suikoden 1, if you haven't played that yet.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Persona 3 remains my favorite Persona game (so far). It's definitely worth playing through, but be warned that it is longer than P4 by about 20 hours.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zeik

Suikoden 2 of course. Any JRPG fan worth their salt is obligated to play that game at least once. Still one of the best.

Persona 3 is a quality game, but if you've already played P4 it's probably not going to blow you away.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Persona 3 a whole lot, but I love Suikoden 2 even more.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Persona 3 is excellent. The tower can become grueling at times, but everything else surrounding it is really great.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

have you played Suikoden 1? then play Suikoden 2

Otherwise I say go for Lunar, based on your comments about the otehr games I think the time is right for you

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zeik

@slag said:

have you played Suikoden 1? then play Suikoden 2

Otherwise I say go for Lunar, based on your comments about the otehr games I think the time is right for you

While Suikoden 2 is better if you have played 1, it's not a necessity. I actually started with 2 and I still fell madly in love with it. The game holds up perfectly fine as a standalone game.

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Viqor

I love Persona 3 and Lunar, but Skies of Arcadia is an amazing, singular experience. There's really nothing quite like it. It exudes that special magic and creativity that Sega had in the Dreamcast era in a lighthearted RPG. I would strongly recommend the GameCube version as it has more stuff in it and more importantly a much lower random encounter rate that makes that version far more palatable to modern tastes.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: I'm aware of that, I just think 1 is worth playing first.

It's super super short by JRPG standards and easily obtainable and inexpensive on PSN. There is little reason not to play it if you intend to play 2.I also think if you intend to play both, it's ideal to play them relatively close to each other while your memory of 1 is still fresh

he didn't specify if he has played 1, so I just laid out how I'd personally make the decision in his shoes so he can decide what's best for himself.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: Normally that would be my recommendation too, but for some people that's asking too much, and it would be a huge shame to skip Suikoden 2 just because you think you need to play 1 first.

Granted, Suikoden 1 and 2 together is still not even half the length of a normal playthrough of Persona 3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

It's super super short by JRPG standards and easily obtainable and inexpensive on PSN. There is little reason not to play it if you intend to play 2.I also think if you intend to play both, it's ideal to play them relatively close to each other while your memory of 1 is still fresh

he didn't specify if he has played 1, so I just laid out how I'd personally make the decision in his shoes so he can decide what's best for himself.

I actually haven't played 1, but I do have it on PSN. I had thought about making Suikoden 1 & 2 a package deal, but since I focus on one specific game I figured it would skew the poll a bit (although I didn't factor the Persona 3 running off like it is....*awkward turtle*). I've heard you should play 1 to get the most out of 2 though, but I've also heard 2 stands on its own as well. So I figured if 2 won, then I could go back if I wanted to.

It's not to say I won't play it someday, but likely as a on-the-side kind of thing.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madman356647: It's worth noting that if you play Suikoden 1 first you can carry over your save data for a cool bonus.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oldenglishc

I'd rank them like this: Suikoden, Arcadia, P3, Lunar, Earthbound. But they're all must plays if you're really into the genre.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at that poll I regret not giving Lunar more of a push. It's not Suikoden 2, but it's still one of my favorite JRPGs of that era.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If you can play the PSP version of P3 (I think it's available on vita) I would recommend that. If not, P3 is still a good choice and also the only game there I actually have played so I was going to vote for it anyway.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skies of Arcadia is, in my opinion, the old school JRPG in its perfect form. It is a big bundle of cliches, but it all works so perfectly. The exploration is great, the characters are fun, and the combat is solid. Absolutely go with the GameCube version, since it includes some DLC that is likely inaccessible on the Dreamcast now.

Lunar was my favorite JRPG for a long time, and that was back when the Sega CD version came out. I was still big into classic fantasy back then, and I just fell in love with the game, and seeing the animated cutscenes and hearing the voice acting made a huge impression on me. I don't know if the game still holds up as well, but 12 year old redwing highly recommends that one.

Persona 3 FES is my favorite of the more modern style of JRPG, but some people dislike going back to Persona 3 after playing Persona 4. I'm sure you've heard about the litany of changes made between the two, but I think all the drawbacks of the combat in 3 actually add to the storytelling aspect. The Persona 3 cast is a ragtag group thrown together by circumstance, each person with their own agenda and ideas while still combating a common foe. It makes sense that they may try to handle things their own way. Also, Persona 4 is a comedy with dramatic moments, while Persona 3 is a drama with comedic moments. So, while I still highly recommend it, there is more potential for disappointment due to personal preference there. Which is tough when deciding to play an 80+ hour game.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Skies of Arcadia is, in my opinion, the old school JRPG in its perfect form... Absolutely go with the GameCube version, since it includes some DLC that is likely inaccessible on the Dreamcast now.

Dreamcast will always be my favorite for the cute little blob on VMU that points out hidden treasures for you.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katpottz said:
@redwing42 said:

Skies of Arcadia is, in my opinion, the old school JRPG in its perfect form... Absolutely go with the GameCube version, since it includes some DLC that is likely inaccessible on the Dreamcast now.

Dreamcast will always be my favorite for the cute little blob on VMU that points out hidden treasures for you.

I did miss the Cupil on the VMU (and Pinta's Quest), but I think the extra content as well as the re-balanced encounter rate makes up for it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

I actually haven't played 1, but I do have it on PSN. I had thought about making Suikoden 1 & 2 a package deal, but since I focus on one specific game I figured it would skew the poll a bit (although I didn't factor the Persona 3 running off like it is....*awkward turtle*). I've heard you should play 1 to get the most out of 2 though, but I've also heard 2 stands on its own as well. So I figured if 2 won, then I could go back if I wanted to.

It's not to say I won't play it someday, but likely as a on-the-side kind of thing.

@zeik is right that 2 is a fine game on its' own, but I don't see why if you already have both and intend to play both that you'd play 2 before 1. As far as I can tell there is literally no benefit to doing so other than if you are unsure if you ever want to play 1. Maybe there is some reason I'm not seeing here but if you are doing so for some artificial rigidity reasons due to your blog series or the poll, I'd strongly consider making an exception. Suikoden1&2 and Trails in the Sky1&2 are special cases.

Trust me 1 is very short. 1+2 put together is ~1/2-2/3 the length of Persona 3 (not even counting the huge post game stuff), imo it is totally fair to treat the two as a package deal. You can power through 1 in 20 hours if you felt like it.

Just something to think about.

fwiw I voted for Lunar anyway and looks like you will be playing Persona 3 anyway. :)

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Everything on there but P3 and Earthbound seem like good picks. I've never liked the direction Persona took after 2, and Earthbound has been one of those games I've gone back to several times throughout the years, and always been repulsed by it.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit that's a backlog, Ive played all of those and beat everyone of them except Earthbound.

I'd say Lunar or Skies of Arcadia.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose its worth mentioning a Persona Vs Anything poll is always going to be doomed on this site.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Karmosin

Suikoden 2 is great, one of the best on PS1.

Persona 3 is good, but got alot of downtime where it feels like nothing happens.

Haven't played skies of arcadia.

Earthbound is heavily outclassed by mother 3. Still strange and quirky, but pretty bare when it comes to story and main characters.

Dunno if it's the PSP-version of Lunar star story, but if it is it was one of the most toothless Rpgs I've ever played. Didn't finish it though.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I picked Suikoden 2 over Persona, mainly because you don't want to burn yourself out before Persona 5. I feel like Suikoden 2 probably holds up, I'll be curious to read your thoughts. Earthbound is overrated, SoA and Lunar I haven't played but they both seem like "games of their time" from what I've seen.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Suikoden II. PSN has been so kind lately with all the flash sales on JRPG games I have a glut of them in my backlog now. I still have my original disc copy of Suikoden II but bought the digital version just so I can play on my Vita.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sungahymn

I was gonna say Persona 3, but since Persona 5 is coming out next year, you might want to refrain or you run the risk of getting fatigued with the Persona-style combat and progress loop earlier when you start 5 after playing FES. Then again, playing 5 after 3 may help you appreciate the changes they appear to be making to the formula, so it's up to you (obviously).

I've only watched a playthrough of Suikoden II, but even then I can tell it's a phenomonal game. A few scenes throughout the game evoke way more sentimentality than pixel sprites have any right to. There aren't many games like Suikoden II at all, so it's a good palate clenser too. Albeit all of the games on the poll are all super unique.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Kind of hard to pick anything over Persona 3 if you haven't played it. Although Suikoden II is by all accounts a classic--that's actually one in my backlog I really need to get to also.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some updates/thoughts!

First off, I do agree that playing Persona 3 before 5 is ...probably insane (especially since I have P5 on order already - dat special). Therefore, I am debating potentially DQ'ing it from this vote on that technicality and revisiting it after playing Persona 5 (knowing full well I'd "owe" you all a play of it AND making this a very special circumstance). To peel back the curtain, I had originally had Dragon Quest 8 in that slot, but swapped it at the last second because I heard it was long (I've never said I was a smart man). Plus, the upcoming 3ds potential release played a role. In retrospect, maybe I should've picked something like Shadow Hearts in that spot instead for more of an "outside the norm" pick.

I really appreciate the input and feedback. I live by the idea that if a lot of people are telling you "That's not a great idea", they might be right. That said, I don't want to turn this into "Vote then do whatever I want" either (this isn't the WWE).

So I ask the following: Should I remove P3 from the running? I'd still play one of the above but I'm too hype for P5 for my own good. Likely, I'd bring back up P3 sometime next year on a "heavyweights" bracket or something to that effect. I still wanna play it but now may not be the best time (since I hear the story can get upwards of 100 hours)

That all said, I might just start working on Suikoden 1, then maybe run the rest of this list in "penance" where I play 4 (actually 5) games instead of one. Crazy, but I'm also holding off on my new n shiny copy of Tokyo Mirage Sessions for the same reason.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Removing DQ8 for being too long and replacing it with an even longer game is an odd decision, lol.

P3 is a great game, but I think you'd be smart not to play it now. If you're not one to burn through a 100+ hour game (add an extra 20 or so if you play The Answer) in a couple weeks you're going to be devoting a lot of time to a game that is not that different to one you've already played and will share many similarties to another it sounds like you'll be playing in the relative near future.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Naoiko

They are all good games imo, but I have a special place in my heart of Lunar SSC. Such a good rpg! I hope your able to play it one day since I doubt it wins the poll.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Persona 3 is an easy win for me there. One of my all time faves.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: like I said, never said I was smart. Assumptions are very bad things.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madman356647: I'd vote for Shadow Hearts: Covenant given the option.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: it'd be the first one. Thing is, I don't want to just trash the whole poll Cuz that would be crappy.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madman356647: If you already own TMS, I'd say play that then decide what to do.

There's not too many big JRPG events these days (although we are very spoiled this year with Fire Emblem, Bravely Second, 2!!! Dragon Quests and FFXV), you might as well enjoy the zeitgeist games when they happen. Although that could be kinda persona overload issue there as well. However there is more of a benefit to playing that particular game right now though, than any other game mentioned. #jointheconversation so to speak when the chance arises.

The maybe remake the poll if you want, if you don't intend to play P3 right now, gotta be honest I don't know which would win. I'm not sure you have a true second place finisher without knowing how the P3 voters would vote on the other 4. I'd like to think it would be Suikoden but hard to say.

Really though every game mentioned is fantastic, whatever you pick you can't go wrong. Shadow Hearts: Covenant is a fantastic game and Dragon Quest Viii might be the pinnacle of the legendary series (DQV is awful damn good tho).

End of the day, you should do whatever makes you happy. I certainly won't hold it against you if you against the poll, I doubt anybody here will. Things happen man.