Which JRPGS are you looking forward to this year

• 119 results
Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

Poll Which JRPGS are you looking forward to this year (561 votes)

Odin Sphere HD 14%
Star Ocean 5 16%
Final Fantasy XV 47%
Bravely Second: End Layer 17%
Dark Souls III 45%
Dragon Quest 7&8 for the 3ds 16%
Persona 5 81%
 • 
DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Persona 5, if we ever get a release date. Starting to get nervous about it again

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#2 fisk0  Moderator

Hadn't heard there was an HD release of Odin Sphere coming up, heard lots of great things about the original but never managed to track down a copy of it, so I'd love to play that one..

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Final Fantasy XV. Got the crazy $270 CE on pre-order. :)

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

All of the above.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

you're on the unofficial Persona fan club site.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

i still find it weird people classify souls games JRPG, I think they more closely resemble Zelda games and you don't see people calling zelda games JRPG's..

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

QL of Persona 5.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

Persona 5, the Dragon Quest re-releases, and Dark Souls III.

I'd never count Dark Souls as a JRPG, though. OK, sure, they have a common ancestor in Wizardry, but Dark Souls is more like a dungeon crawler with a heavy Metroidvania influence. I wouldn't say it's a full-on Metroidvania game, though, I don't like to count something as Metroidvania if you're not gathering new abilities that let you progress (as opposed to Dark Souls's thing of giving you keys that let you open doors, you never need any new abilities). Yes, it's Japanese, and you're building a character, but it doesn't look, feel, or play at all like a JRPG.

@marz said:

i still find it weird people classify souls games JRPG, I think they more closely resemble Zelda games and you don't see people calling zelda games JRPG's..

I can't recall any specific instance, but I do feel like I've seen a few people call Zelda games RPG's over the years.

EDIT: Also, I'm still curious about Final Fantasy XV. I want that game to be really good and I'm going to keep an eye on it, but a lot of what people who have played it have been saying pushes me away.

Jibanyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've yet to finish the Bravely Second demo on the 3DS yet, but I'll probably buy the full game at some point once it comes out in the U.S.

Persona 5 is the main event. I've been waiting 5+ years for it, so I think I'll be pretty excited when I finally get my hands on it; also, I've never gotten the CE for a game before, but I'm heavily betting on this being the first.

Atlus needs to put new P5 info out soon. I'm dying here.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#10 ZombiePie  Staff

I aint gonna lie...I'm going to play Final Fantasy XV at some point.

computerandy9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Poll needs I am Setsuna and Trails of Cold Steel II. Bravely Second already out in Europe and Australia but oh well...

But yeah I'm probably most looking forward to FFXV especially as the hype of the recent event hasn't worn off yet. Although I did miss out on the Ultimate Collectors Edition and so I'm kinda pissed at Square right now.

Other then FFXV probably most looking forward to Persona 5 and Trails of Cold Steel II. Persona 3 and 4 were amazing so I expect great things from it and Cold Steel 1 was above all my expectations even as a big fan of Trails in the Sky FC & SC.

This year is amazing. Year of the JRPG for sure. (Also pumped for Star Ocean 5 but who knows if it will be good or not. I liked 4 but yeah...)

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I only voted for one...because only one game actually matters Persona 5. Which is likely what 90% of people voting choose that too.

No Caption Provided
Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zeik

Basically everything from Atlus this year: Persona 5, SMT4:Final, Etrian Odyssey 5, Odin Sphere HD. Although Persona 5 is certainly the major one.

There's also Ni no Kuni 2, that Setsuna game from Square, and I'll probably end up playing FFXV at some point, but probably not day 1.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Only 87%? Camooooooooon, Giantbomb! We can do better!

Also, Dark Souls is a western RPG that happens to be made in Japan. It technically doesn't count, but congratulations anyway to Japan for making what we expect to be another fine video game!

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By LawGamer

Dark Souls 3 is about it, and I'm not certain I'd even consider that a JRPG. FFXV looks like an utter disaster and I've personally never seen the draw of Persona.

It's unfortunate DQ8 is only coming out on 3DS. I buy that in a second if it came to PS4.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm definitely going to buy Bravely Second in a couple weeks. That first game was so promising, and I'm really excited to see what they do with the sequel. Unfortunately I haven't heard much about it, which makes me think its not that interesting, but we will see.

I'm sure I will play through Final Fantasy XV pretty quickly after it comes out. More out of curiosity than excitement though. Its weird that they can put out a game that seems to be nothing like the old games I love, but has the same title, so somehow I feel obligated to pay attention to it. Branding 101 I suppose? Also I'm really anticipating I am Setsuna because I have a feeling its actual similarities to some of those old games will reignite whatever dead part of me the first Bravely Default sparked.

Loving Persona 5 is a safe bet, I'm starting to worry it won't come out over here this year, I'm a little information starved on that game.

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of them just all of them give them to me and inject it into my blood I don't care my hype is palpable.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BabyChooChoo

P5 and SMTxFE are my two most anticipated releases. P5 because it's Persona and SMTxFE because it's just so fucking weird. Honestly though, Odin Sphere HD is probably up there for me too because with all the work they put in, it's bordering on a remake, but if you're still a masochist, it comes with the original game in it's original-ass-original form which I think is awesome.

Etrian Odyssey V is coming out in Japan this year, but there's been no word on a US release yet. Either way, after finally getting into the series with Untold 2 last year, if every game in the series is even half as good as that, it might just be one of my new favorite franchises.

I'm also surprisingly excited for World of Final Fantasy. I am in love with the look and tone that that game seems to be going for.

Fucking. Adorable.
Fucking. Adorable.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5 (it feels like it's been forever since P4) and anything Dragon Quest...well, anything RPG Dragon Quest. Sadly, DQ XI isn't coming until 2017 which might give me the reason to buy an NX.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I keep forgetting that Persona 5 is a JRPG because the Persona series is too cool for the genre.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Persona 5 and that's it really. I like JRPGs, it's just that anymore it seems there's nothing noteworthy. All I see is an an endless slew of Atelier and Neptunia games.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By confusedowl

Star Ocean 5 is looking really good from what I've seen so far so I'm cautiously optimistic about it. 100% on board for Dark Souls, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest remakes, and Persona 5.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark souls 3? I mean, come on now.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By veektarius

I voted Persona 5 even though I've never played an Atlus game that I liked. I am cautiously optimistic that the style might be a step closer to my stylistic preferences based on the early trailers.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I want to play all of those games that are on consoles I own. It's a good long while until most of them. it's been some time since I checked, but I'm pretty certain that Persona 5, Odin Sphere Leitfrasir, Star Ocean and Final Fantasy XV all don't hit Europe until summer at least. It's a good thing Dark Souls 3 is out soon.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Odin Sphere: Maybe a bit less grindy this time?

Star Ocean 5: Kickass combat system, boring story I imagine but hey maybe they'll pull some magic out of the hat.

Final Fantasy XV: Top notch production values, but doesn't ultimately hold a candle to the Witcher 3.

Bravely Second: Shrug

Dark Souls 3: Not traditionally considered a JRPG, obviously going to be the best game on the list.

Dragon Quest: DQVIII is one of the best JRPGs of all time. Every other Dragon Quest is terrible.

Persona 5: I have to play through Persona 3 and 4 first, let me go find 250 hours to do that with.

@csl316@jakob187:

Fake The Last Remnant: The battle system is even more incoherent this time! And I love it.

Fake Xenosaga Game: You play as Margulis this time.

Fake Front Mission Game: This one actually has a decent amount of content!

Fake Valkyrie Profile 3: Hrist: Nearly as good as Vagrant Story 2

Vagrant Story 2: Video games are offically over

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShadyPingu

P5 and Bravely Second are locks. FFXV could be a hot mess, but whatever it ends up being I need to see it with my own eyes.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By OurSin_360

Persona 5 and now dark souls which may not fit the stereo type but is definitely a jrpg with western influence.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Pokemon Sun and Moon and World of Final Fantasy. Both of which aren't on the pool, so woo

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5: I have to play through Persona 3 and 4 first, let me go find 250 hours to do that with.

Anecdotally, I played through P4:G in about 40 hours recently and I'd never played the original. Having already seen the endurance run helped I guess, but yeah. They don't have to be 100 hour time vampires.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetfunksquad:

Also, the only links to Persona 3 and 4 in Persona 5 will probably be small references that are only there to make fans of the series smile.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Dark Souls is not a JRPG

JRPG is a style/genre that happens to be named after a region, not a group that encompasses all RPGs made in that region

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls is not a JRPG

JRPG is a style/genre that happens to be named after a region, not a group that encompasses all RPGs made in that region

This is what I came in here to say, pretty much word for word, so thanks.

Anyway, I'm looking to forward to Persona 5 big time, as well as Dark Souls, but I didn't vote for it for the above reason.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thatpinguino  Moderator

Can I write-in Final Fantasy IX PC?

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By odinsmana
@thatpinguino said:

Can I write-in Final Fantasy IX PC?

Yes, yes you can.

@ll_exile_ll said:
@ajamafalous said:

Dark Souls is not a JRPG

This is what I came in here to say, pretty much word for word, so thanks.

Anyway, I'm looking to forward to Persona 5 big time, as well as Dark Souls, but I didn't vote for it for the above reason.

I would even argue that Odin Sphere isn`t really a JRPG.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5, DS3, and NieR Automata

BoringK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Probably just Persona 5. P4 is the only JRPG I've finished in about a decade.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38  Edited By GERALTITUDE

From that list Star Ocean, FFXV and P5.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By newmoneytrash

boy i cannot wait for that dragon quest viii

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

P5, FFXV, and DSIII

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't really play JRPGs but I'm interested in whatever Persona 5 ends up being.

Does that new South Park game count as a JRPG?

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@deathbywaffle: Same here. Now that we know they have no problem waiting until the last possible second to tell us it's been delayed, it feels like all bets are off.

I forgot Star Ocean was coming out at all. I think I checked it off based on seeing the name alone.

iggypoptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By iggypoptart

FF XV: I'm now intrigued. I kind of shrugged it off initially, but it's 10-year dev cycle and Square's posturing make me feel like I HAVE to play it. Will probably not finish, just like every FF game I've touched besides VI and X.

DSIII: Haven't touched a Souls game since DaS1, but this one really seems up my alley. People describing it as more linear and a bit shorter is a big plus. Hopefully the PC version isn't borked on release. Hopping on the "not really a JRPG" bandwagon though.

Persona 5: It's Persona. How could I not play it?

Bravely Second: I really, really liked 90% of the first game. Apparently this one fixes some huge issues from the first, but has its own probs as well.

Nier: Automata: I bought the first Nier like two years ago. Will def try to go through it before this one drops.

This year seems baller for my personal JRPG preferences. I didn't really play any last year (Sorry XCX and Trails of Cold Steel :((), because 2015 was just so jam packed with great games all around. 2016 is looking a little calmer so hopefully I can play all 5 of these.

Might also give World of Final Fantasy and those 3DS DQ remakes a look too if I have time.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing through Trails in the Sky part 1 on PC at the moment and enjoying it far more than I expected to, so definitely going to check out chapter 2 when I'm done.

I don't think I can stomach anything with random encounters anymore (except perhaps as a pokemon style mechanic), but if any of these new JRPGs come to PC and don't have that then I'll definitely take a look.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Persona 5 and Dark Souls 3, though I don't think DS3 is actually a JRPG.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Persona 5 of course, with The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II putting up a strong showing in second. Grand Kingdom actually looks pretty cool too, though more in the tactical genre I guess. Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past finally plugs the gap in my DQ history. Dark Souls will be great but I probably won't get to it this year. Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE and Shin Megami Tensei IV Final because Atlus. Hoping I Am Setsuna is good. Not sure Final Fantasy or Star Ocean will amount to much but you never know.

Looking like an awfully good year for jrpgs.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#48 fisk0  Moderator

@marz said:

Huh, I'd say they closely resemble 80's CRPG's like the early Ultima games and to some extent Wizardry II, which in turn were the inspiration for the first JRPG's. So I'd say they're going back to the original inspirations for the JRPG genre and found another direction to go from there.

There are certainly hints of 3D Zelda games in there too, but I feel that's mostly in terms of that being a very intuitive control system for third person games of this style, the overarching narrative style and the actual role playing mechanics feel very much like early CRPG's to me.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Persona 5 of course, with The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II putting up a strong showing in second. Grand Kingdom actually looks pretty cool too, though more in the tactical genre I guess. Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past finally plugs the gap in my DQ history. Dark Souls will be great but I probably won't get to it this year. Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE and Shin Megami Tensei IV Final because Atlus. Hoping I Am Setsuna is good. Not sure Final Fantasy or Star Ocean will amount to much but you never know.

Looking like an awfully good year for jrpgs.

very good points, TMS#FE, Trails of Cold Steel and Grand Kingdom are really underhyped release.

There's so much coming down the pipe I have feeling I'll be playing 2016 release for years to come.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ezekiel

None of them, unless you wanna count Dark Souls III. I hate typical modern Japanese aesthetics. Well, Nier: Automata looks neat, but I've never liked Platinum Games. I find Bayonetta and MGR shallow and boring.

@gruebacca said:

Also, Dark Souls is a western RPG that happens to be made in Japan.

I don't know of any western game like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. The tight, labyrinthine, vertical level design reminds me of other Japanese games and the third-person combat has a few things in common with Ocarina of Time. It takes things from different genres and games and comes up with a few of its own rules. I would almost say that, in so doing, it establishes its own genre. I'm pretty sure if the game took place in a Japanese fantasy setting, you people would be calling it Japanese, which is stupid. Are any of the dozens or hundreds of anime taking place in Europe western? The creators can take the setting where ever they want, but it will likely still have Japanese qualities. If I never saw the credits in Dark Souls or heard anything about it, I'd still think it's Japanese.