• 123 results
#51 Posted by Zeik (5192 posts) -

@killem_dafoe: I consider Jak 1 to be one of the best 3D platformers of its time tbh. I really think it did what it was trying to do much better than Jak 2, which was ambitious, but flawed.

#52 Posted by FrodoBaggins (2046 posts) -

I guess my answer is ICO... does that fit the bill?

#53 Edited by atomicoldman (831 posts) -

Dark Souls 2. I think Scholar of the First Sin struck a good balance with difficulty and improved the overall graphical quality, so that's the version I prefer. Plus it had all the DLC, which I don't think stands up to the quality of the DS3 DLC, but is still much more enjoyable for me than the DLC of Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

The biggest draw to me is the NG+ and bonfire "buffing." I really enjoyed just how much the game changed the more you ramped up a particular location. There's also a wide variety of covenants, all of which offer something unique, and I found playing online that this was maybe one of the more stable and enjoyable of the Souls games. The story/lore also jumped out at me more than any of the other Souls games (outside of Demon's), and I thought a lot of the characters were endearing in their own weird dumb quirky ways.

#54 Edited by Qrowdyy (366 posts) -

Twilight Princess.

Like everyone I played Ocarina of Time and thought it was the best thing ever. I played Majora's Mask and thought it was fucking amazing.

Then I played Windwaker(Here's where I go on a little tangent). The graphics were gorgeous, but there were so many other problems. The dungeons are extremely unmemorable. To date I can't remember any except the first one and the stealth one. The combat is probably the worst in the 3d series.

"But Qrowdyy," you say, "What about the open world? Windwaker had the most expansive open world before BoTW."

Well, random misguided Giant Bomb member, to that I would say that 90% of that open world was a flat, featureless, blue plain. Sure they tried to spruce it up with assorted mini-games while you sailed, but those got boring faaaast. Maybe I just hate sailing in games? But, that's not true I loved AC: Black Flag to death. So, imo, Windwaker has the smallest open world in a 3d zelda, because all the empty space between points of interest(land) don't count(/endrant).

So after years of adventuring in the lands of off-beat Zeldas, one good, one dissapointing, playing Twilight Princess was like coming home. Basically a modernized Ocarina, there wasn't a speck of innovation in it. Probably the only unique thing about Twilight Princess is that it has a companion character that doesn't suck(Midna is the best). Also it's PS2 quality graphics were slightly off-putting even when it first came out. What it did have, in comparison to Windwaker, was better dungeons, better combat, better exploration. Gameplay over graphics all day.

It's a Zelda ass Zelda game and there are only two 3d Zelda's to choose from if that's what you want. If you've replayed OoT a few too many times, but are still looking for that same feeling, I heartily recommend Twilight Princess

#55 Posted by Draugen (978 posts) -

I ride or die with Dragon Age 2, forever. Loved the hell out of that game, despite the flaws.

#56 Posted by Ravelle (3304 posts) -

I really liked Final Fantasy 13, have not played the other two though.

Also Max Payne 3 was amazing.

#57 Posted by Brackstone (888 posts) -

Oh boy, I got a bunch of these, my taste in video games is weird.

• Halo: ODST is a top 3 Halo game.
  • Max Payne 3 is easily the best in the series, the gameplay is on another level entirely from any other shooter.
  • Dead Space 3 is a very good game, just not as good as the others. It's a Dark Souls 2 situation, if to a lesser degree.
  • Speaking of which, Dark Souls 2 is an outstanding game despite being easily the worst in the series.
  • Far Cry 2 is the best one in the series.
  • This one I'm not sure about, given that it's super popular anyway, but I think Metal Gear Revengeance is by far the best Metal Gear game. It's not even close for me.
  • The Witcher 2 is where the series peaked.
  • GTA4: The Lost and the Damned is the best GTA game and one of the best written games ever. Johnny Klebitz is one of the best video game protagonists. GTA5 was such a massive step backward that I'm concerned the Housers have completely lost it. Or perhaps RDR and Lost and Damned were just flukes.
  • Hotline Miami 2 has lower lows, but higher highs than Hotline Miami 1. If the game was just the Son and the Fans (and maybe Jake), it would be near perfect. I suspect it originally was just those parts, but the scope got expanded, for the worse.
  • Morrowind is the best Elder Scrolls game. It's a common opinion, but since Skyrim is such a monolith in this industry, I think it fits.
  • Resident Evil Revelations 2 is the 2nd best resident evil game (but I haven't played 7 yet.)
#58 Edited by Bonbonetti (107 posts) -

Mass Effect (original) and Mass Effect Andromeda. The original game did not have the technical quality of #2-3, playing on the Xbox 360 there were moments where the game would bug out and just freeze. Apart from that I still think it's the best game in the series, by far. Andromeda had a large number of technical issues on the regular PS4, but it was considerably more fun and interesting to play than #2-3.

Assassin's Creed Rogue, Syndicate and Unity. Playing on console I did not experience that many technical issues, and they still have the same unique "world immersion" the early games had. It's one of the things that have always attracted me to the Assassin's games. Syndicate and Unity in particular, I would count among my favourites in the franchise, despite their technical flaws.

Forza 3. People complained that it was too clinical, that it didn't have much of a personality. I agree that of all the Forza games, this is the one that feels closest to a PC sim, where there's no filler, just racing. Perhaps Turn10 felt inspired by the Simbin games, who knows. It certainly doesn't have the feel of the other Forza games. It's still my favourite though, since I prefer this presentation over what the latter games have.

Gran Turismo Sport. Despite being announced as a multiplayer game, which logically implies you need an internet connection in order to play the game, they have bulked up the single-player content significantly (all of it free). While many consider it the lesser in the series, right now it is actually feeling like a "regular" Gran Turismo game to me. While it's hard to beat GT 6, I think GT Sport is on the way of doing that for me.

Far Cry 2. The side-missions were boring, and the save system on console anoying. The rest of the game however, still has an impact on me to this day, perhaps it's the setting or the topic, but it's still one of the most memorable FPS games I have ever played. Far Cry 3-5 are all good games, better in most aspects, but they don't have the same impact on me.

Grid Autosport. The mainstream didn't really like it that much, since perhaps it didn't have the same Need-For-Speed feel as the original game. However, as a motorsports game I think they did a great job with it. Meaning if you actually follow motorsports on TV or elsewhere, this is a better game for you than the other Grid games, ... although I still dislike the narrative approach.

Dirt 4. While the PC version seems to have a few issues, according to the Steam pages, my console version works really well. To me this game is as good as the first Dirt game, which so far has been my favourite in the franchise. Yes Dirt Rally was fun, but there was so little content in that game, certainly not worth the hefty pricetag. Dirt 4 has an abundance of content and gameplay that can be as technical as you want. It feels like a worthy successor to the first game.

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#59 Posted by SloppyDetective (1599 posts) -

I liked CoD Advance Warefare quite a bit. I feel like outside of this website and within CoD circles it's looked down upon. It was the one that got me back into CoD multiplayer.

Tony Hawk Underground and Pro Skater 2 are my two fav TH games.

#60 Posted by Humanity (18711 posts) -

Assassins Creed Revelations is the best AC game in the franchise, having the most robust and varied gameplay mechanics and systems. Ironically people say that Origins is the best AC game to date, yet it’s barely an AC game to be honest. They basically made an AC game for people that never liked these games to begin with, which is kinda odd.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
#62 Posted by pompouspizza (1563 posts) -

@ohagan: Holy shit, how could I not mention Max Payne 3?! It is absolutely the best one.

#63 Posted by BBAlpert (2906 posts) -
Hell yeah HoMM IV, baby!
Hell yeah HoMM IV, baby!

#64 Posted by Humanity (18711 posts) -
#65 Posted by jinxplayer (23 posts) -

Yup, Zelda 2 on the NES

#66 Posted by viking_funeral (2881 posts) -

Dark Souls 2 - What an overblown reaction. It was a 9/10 compared to the original's 9.5/10. It was also the most fun I've had with PVP in the series to date.

#67 Posted by OurSin_360 (6155 posts) -

Dark Souls 2 - What an overblown reaction. It was a 9/10 compared to the original's 9.5/10. It was also the most fun I've had with PVP in the series to date.

I would say it's the best game in the series honestly.

#68 Posted by TobbRobb (6582 posts) -

I've seen a few of mine repeated here already. But Jak 1 is one of my favorite games of all time and I prefer it over it's sequels (those are good too though).

I enjoy DMC4 more than 3. Though, if I were to compare my hype level first playing 3 and first playing 4, the answer would be different. But with the test of time I just enjoy the combat system of 4. And I think Nero is a really fun character to play as.

I vastly prefer Mass Effect 1 over it's sequel. The universe felt expansive and novel. The plot was intriguing and huge in scope. 2 by comparison felt very small and linear with less focus on world, and more focus on characters. Which in my book is a negative.

It's hard to argue past Witcher 3, but back when 2 came out I was firmly one of the people who prefered the original. My view on the franchise is more or less that they first made a game with a huge scope and ambition, but couldn't follow through on it. Learning from that lesson they scoped out the sequel in a more humble fashion but polished it as much as they could. And then for the third game they decided to just say fuck it and succesfully both kept and ate their cake through sheer unhealthy man-hours. Either way, the ambition of the first game has always stuck with me, and I was pretty disappointed by the linearity of 2.

I've never quite been able to figure out where the majority lands on this, so maybe it's not applicable. But MGS3 is my favorite game in the franchise by a long shot. I think as a complete stand-alone package it's an amazing game in it's own right, and the way it influences the overall Metal Gear universe is almost just a nice bonus.

I actually have no idea if this is a common opinion or not, but my favorite Splinter Cell is Chaos Theory. To me, that was the perfection of the formula with a fantastic toolset for stealth, great levels, amazing music and a pretty solid story. I've played just about every single one of them, but none have gotten close to dethroning that game for me.

And lastly, I vastly prefer XCOM 2 over Enemy Unknown. I can't tell if my impression that I hold an unpopular opinion on that is just because of the bombcast or not though.

#69 Edited by jkz (4286 posts) -

Agreed on Max Payne 3. Easily one of my favorite games of that generation, and I far prefer it to 1/2.

Not sure where exactly it ranks (I know it reviewed well but I never hear it mentioned): Splinter Cell Blacklist is the best SC game since Chaos Theory, and might even be my second favorite from the series (and I'm an enormous Splinter Cell fan).

Dark Souls 2 is great (I think its world-building is awesome and I love the feel of the combat), same with Dragon Age 2 (most people covered why—love the small scale, more grounded story it tells).

Far Cry 2 is still far and away the most interesting and memorable Far Cry.

There's definitely more. GTAV is my favorite GTA, for example. But that's probably it for ones I'd "ride or die" with.

*EDIT* OH. And Diablo 1 is still the best Diablo. I replay that game (with the Beelzebub mod) yearly. I love the structure of it—the whole slow descent into hell thing—and the atmosphere is unmatched by 2/3.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
#70 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2071 posts) -

Devil May Cry 2. Look, it's not that much worse than DMC1 in terms of gameplay, you can totally beat the game just using the guns without ever engaging in the melee combat but that's not my willpower's problem. You know what it does have, though?

Dante fighting a hyperbeam firing building and Dante shoots darkness incarnate (Satan? I have no idea) in the head in the dumbest way possible.

It's not the best DMC, but it's so hilariously stupid I love it. The first time I played it I was shocked. Every cutscene is so freaking weird that I dunno how people hate it this much. Well, I did learn from the new DMC that people take this series very seriously so maybe that's it? It's a fun experience.

#71 Posted by Justin258 (15641 posts) -

@zeik: Jak 2 is the highest critically rated in the franchise, and I've always heard people talk more highly of it over 3. I think the criticisms regarding it going a more "edgy" route is something that happened in retrospect years after the fact. A lot of games were doing that back then. I was also like 14 when it came out, right in that demographic, so I didn't really have another perspective, haha. It was a weird departure for sure, but it was the kind of bold decision that you would never see today. I think I was just really into it back then. I definitely think the original is weakest of the trilogy. It's a fun game but not much more than a relatively simple Mario 64 clone.

Where? I was a pretty big fan of the Jak and Daxter games back in the day and I cannot recall anyone preferring 2 over 3. Throughout the years, general consensus on Jak 2 has continually gone down, while people have thought better and better of the first game, and the third to an extent. You might be able to find a few Metacritic scores that place 2 higher than 3, but those numbers don't really mean all that much when we're talking about a PS2 game in 2018.

But while we're on the topic of Jak and Daxter, Daxter was a damn good PSP game. I remember enjoying The Precursor Legacy, too, but I never finished it.

#72 Edited by BoOzak (2570 posts) -

Ninja Gaiden 2 (XB360) it's not as good as NGB but it's fun, dumb and messy in all the right ways. It feels like the Contra: Hard Corps of Ninja Gaiden in how stupidly over the top everything is when compared to the first game. I especially like that Ryu has got to the point where he is eating the raw reagents that make healing potions because he needs a bigger hit.

#73 Posted by rethla (3725 posts) -

@dcav said:

@rethla: I had a weird arc with 3 where at first, I hated the combat but the story kept me enthralled, and by the end I hated the story and was in it only for the combat (which I learned to love.) I have though about trying previous games, but haven't yet. How do you think 1 holds up?

I think 1 holds up fantasticly but even so it has always been a hate it or love it game. Being a top down mousclicker the combat is from another school entierly so i really cant say much based on your W3 experience.

#74 Posted by KillEm_Dafoe (2634 posts) -

@killem_dafoe said:

@zeik: Jak 2 is the highest critically rated in the franchise, and I've always heard people talk more highly of it over 3. I think the criticisms regarding it going a more "edgy" route is something that happened in retrospect years after the fact. A lot of games were doing that back then. I was also like 14 when it came out, right in that demographic, so I didn't really have another perspective, haha. It was a weird departure for sure, but it was the kind of bold decision that you would never see today. I think I was just really into it back then. I definitely think the original is weakest of the trilogy. It's a fun game but not much more than a relatively simple Mario 64 clone.

Where? I was a pretty big fan of the Jak and Daxter games back in the day and I cannot recall anyone preferring 2 over 3. Throughout the years, general consensus on Jak 2 has continually gone down, while people have thought better and better of the first game, and the third to an extent. You might be able to find a few Metacritic scores that place 2 higher than 3, but those numbers don't really mean all that much when we're talking about a PS2 game in 2018.

But while we're on the topic of Jak and Daxter, Daxter was a damn good PSP game. I remember enjoying The Precursor Legacy, too, but I never finished it.

I dunno, anytime I saw the topic come up in online discussions people seemed to favor 2 over 3. I think even my few friends who were into the series did, as well. But yes, I am specifically talking about "back in the day." People have certainly cooled on it over the years.

#75 Posted by Relenus (222 posts) -

@nutter:

Mass Effect 1 is also the only Mass Effect game with a compelling villain.

For all ME2 gets right, I think the Collectors look dumb and the boss fight against the giant Terminator was a wet fart.

#76 Edited by fnrslvr (579 posts) -

Majora's Mask is the greatest game of all time.

I will die on this hill.

---

@qrowdyy said:
Like everyone I played Ocarina of Time and thought it was the best thing ever. I played Majora's Mask and thought it was fucking amazing.

Then I played Windwaker(Here's where I go on a little tangent). The graphics were gorgeous, but there were so many other problems. The dungeons are extremely unmemorable. To date I can't remember any except the first one and the stealth one. The combat is probably the worst in the 3d series.

"But Qrowdyy," you say, "What about the open world? Windwaker had the most expansive open world before BoTW."

Well, random misguided Giant Bomb member, to that I would say that 90% of that open world was a flat, featureless, blue plain. Sure they tried to spruce it up with assorted mini-games while you sailed, but those got boring faaaast. Maybe I just hate sailing in games? But, that's not true I loved AC: Black Flag to death. So, imo, Windwaker has the smallest open world in a 3d zelda, because all the empty space between points of interest(land) don't count(/endrant).

I don't mind Wind Waker. I agree with you that the dungeons are weak, which pushes it pretty low on my personal ranking of Zelda games. (But Zelda games are generally better than other games, so this is still a good place to be.) I also think it uses its visuals as a bit of a crutch, plenty of people seem willing to overlook weak content or annoyances for the slick cel shading. But I tend to sorta disagree with you on the exploration: whilst there is a lot of blue nothingness and the content is very regimented into an island per square, the act of navigating the seas and figuring out an island or a random sea altercation with enemies or whatever is really satisfying. I also think Windfall Island has some of the more endearing townsfolk and minigame content in any Zelda game.

---

That being said, I think the bigger problem I have with WW is that it was the wrong Zelda game for its time.

The hype surrounding the new consoles circa 2000 was all about this massive leap in visual fidelity. It was an era of fanboys poring over hardware specs and talking about polycounts like they had any idea what they were talking about. Sony had MGS2; Microsoft was entering the console war and had Halo. Zelda needed to be Nintendo's trump card; Nintendo fanboys were waiting for a hyper-realistic, gritty, *edgy*successor to OoT, the most critically acclaimed epic adventure of all time, so they could talk mad shit next time they ran into the Sony or Microsoft kids in the playground.

Against that backdrop, with console manufacturer levels of money at stake, Nintendo decided to get weird. Wind Waker would go on to undersell, the GCN would barely eke out 20 million units sold as the PS2 confirmed Sony's dominance of the console market, and Nintendo would never bring another "mainstream" console to market ever again.

And yes all the edgy fanboy shit was/is asinine. That's the entire point. Nintendo misread the room: gaming sentiment was in its awkward teen years, gamers were in endless pissing matches about which console had more graffixxx. Wind Waker was poor marketing. It was impossible to defend that game against the other thirteen-year-olds in the playground, so Nintendo lost market share. If self-preservation was at all a priority for Nintendo, then they should not have made that game at that time.

#77 Edited by Doom616 (54 posts) -

@cerberus3dog: Exactly man I agree with everything you said. This AC is very much about family and I loved that. Also not every protagonist has to be Han solo.

Of course connor was the way he was considering what was happening to his people. Being native myself I figured I was a bit biased.

#78 Posted by csl316 (14959 posts) -

Mass Effect 3 is one of my favorite games of the generation. It's a lesser entry than ME 2 for most people, it seems, but I found 3 to be better in every way.

And I liked the original ending! Plus the surprisingly awesome multiplayer. Man, what a cool game.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
#79 Posted by VincentVendetta (521 posts) -

People say the best Lumines is the first one, I would say it's Electronic Symphony on the Vita.

#80 Posted by BrunoTheThird (827 posts) -

God of War II is better than 3 and 1, despite the fact my sister played Umbrella by Rihanna over and over again during the week I started and finished it.

#81 Posted by viking_funeral (2881 posts) -

@brunothethird: Don't most people consider GoW 2 to be the best game in the series?

#82 Posted by HatKing (7450 posts) -

Mass Effect Andromeda. I played the game about eight months after release, so the hot mess had mostly been cleaned up by then. Despite not being interested in the story when I heard the pitch before launch, I was won over pretty quickly once I gave it a chance. I think the new universe let them get back to the sense of discovery the first game did so well. I ended up liking most of the crew as much or more than previous crew members.

#83 Posted by HatKing (7450 posts) -

@draugen: You're right about Dragon Age 2, but I'm also representing Mass Effect Andromeda, so maybe I just like Bioware trash.

#84 Posted by liquiddragon (3320 posts) -

I'm kinda sad most ppl are taking "lesser entry in a series" to just mean "any game not considered the best in a franchise." I was really talking about specific ones that kinda got shafted harshly or widely considered lower tier.

A game like Mass Effect 1 just doesn't belong in this conversation. Any convo about the ME series will devolve into which is better, 1 or 2? (The answer is 1) ME3 is a good pull, ME:A even more so if you like it.

Dragon Age 2, Majora's Mask, Daxter, or AC3 are the types of picks I'm talking about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
#85 Posted by deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1 (158 posts) -

Gears of War Judgment was better than 4 & Ultimate

#86 Posted by impartialgecko (1941 posts) -

The Phantom Pain has the best story and themes of any Metal Gear game.

#87 Posted by Draugen (978 posts) -

@hatking: I'm a bit back and forth on Andromeda. I was disappointed, but I wound up enjoying my playthrough. But it's the only BioWare game I've never gone back to again. It had it's moments, but it's a little to bloated with busy-work. Ooooon the other had, it might be time to make another run at it.

#88 Posted by imhungry (1115 posts) -

I will go to bat for FF8 knowing that it's maybe actually a terrible game with some real pacing issues but it's just fun. It had some really great set pieces and honestly I really enjoyed its anime bullshit story.

I think the consensus is that Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies is one of the weaker entries in the series too but I wound up really liking it. I think Athena's a great character, though she totally got the shaft in the sequel, and the game has an amazing final twist. As I was playing through the game I thought it a pretty mediocre entry in the series but figuring out the final twist about 30mins before the reveal and being right about it was an amazing experience because it was such a crazy twist that I was convinced I was wrong.

#89 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (1380 posts) -

Resident Evil 3 Nemesis is one of the best core RE games and I feel people don't give it enough love. It is also one of my personal favorites.

#90 Edited by BrunoTheThird (827 posts) -

Silent Hill: Homecoming. I thought it was an interesting, atmospheric, polished, tense and worthy addition to the series. Never, ever understood the hate. I think it's better than 4. It is the only action-horror game in the series, though, so I get the hate in theory, but as a standalone game, it doesn't deserve it IMO.

#91 Posted by nutter (2102 posts) -

@relenus: I liked the whole working-with-the-Elusive-Man thing, but you’re right. Saren was a great villain and probably the most compelling aspect of that series.

He’s a trope, but a very well executed trope.

#92 Posted by nutter (2102 posts) -

@tobbrobb: I think MGS3 is PROBABLY the game most view as the apex of that series.

Chaos Theory is hands-down the best Splinter Cell. I remember SC1 more fondly and it made more of an impact with me, but SC3 recovered from the stumble that was Pandora Tomorrow and made a polished and compelling stealth game.

#93 Edited by Akeldama (4367 posts) -

So heartening to see Max Payne 3 get so much love here.

Silent Hill 4 was the last good Silent Hill.

#94 Posted by ATastySlurpee (662 posts) -

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune & Batman: Arkham Origins, While neither are my favorite in the series, both are supremely under-rated and better than people give them credit for.

Also, Hitman: Blood Money is my favorite Hitman. DmC is the the only Devil May Cry I felt compelled to beat.

#95 Posted by Eroq (89 posts) -

Tony Hawk: Underground is the best in the series.

#96 Posted by nutter (2102 posts) -

@akeldama: Max Payne 3 is my favorite Max Payne.

#97 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (432 posts) -

@onemanarmyy: Hell yes with the FFVIII love. I’ll never forget the school music and the overworld music. Loved the shit outta that game. XII also.

#98 Posted by BallsLeon (556 posts) -

Command & Conquer: Renegade This is one of my all time favorite online-multiplayer shooters. The way they translated RTS mechanics into an FPS surprisingly worked really well. You could purchase and pilot all sorts of famous GDI/NOD vehicles and you could purchase individual characters from the series with varying loadouts.

Like a traditional C&C game the point is to destory the other teams base, by any means possible: Low-Orbit Ion Cannon/Nuke, squad of Mammoth tanks, an APC loaded with C4, and or literally just shoot the building with a gun.

#99 Posted by cloudymusic (2120 posts) -
@bbalpert said:
Hell yeah HoMM IV, baby!

I really wonder what HoMM4 could've been if they had an extra 6 months to work on it (judging by some developer comments). I love that they tried some new ideas after HoMM1-3 were just continuing evolutions of a single formula, but not all of them really came together. Super interesting, though.

#100 Posted by nickhead (1258 posts) -

@viking_funeral said:

I would say it's the best game in the series honestly.

Dark Souls 2 is fantastic and everyone that hated it is wrong.