Which MMO has a bigger population ?

Recostar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I want to start playing one of these MMO's again but i can't decide which one.

I think it might come down to how popular they are and how many people are still playing them. I don't want to be stuck in ques to long :P

Star wars: The old republic

Guild wars 2

Think you could give me a hand deciding, which would you choose?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I booted up Guild Wars 2 again for the first time in ages (then uninstalled it the following day) not too long ago and there's still plenty of people playing that. Every zone felt like it had tons of people running around in it and it wasn't even during "peak" hours so I assume the game is still going strong.

I haven't played SWTOR since beta, but from everything I've heard, the game is still doing well and is still very healthy in terms of population numbers.I assume that like most MMOs similar to it, the lower level areas are kinda barren, but I don't know for sure one way or the other.

Honestly, I personally wouldn't recommend either game at this point (for different, but a variety of reasons), but if someone put a gun to my head and made me choose, I'd say get GW2.

Recostar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: Thanks for the feedback , very helpful.

Is there another MMO you might recommend?

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Blommer4

I recommend Runescape, even runescape classic. The playerbase for runescape classic isn't that big but runescape 2007 and the latest runescape have a nice size playerbase. If any of you do want to try out runescape classic, I recommend the private server for it as it has an active community and not just bots. From the two you listed, I enjoyed SWTOR more, but haven't played it since launch basically so my opinion there means little to nothing. I never really got into GW2, I felt there was very little that really pulled me into that game and very much I straight up disliked

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fredchuckdave

SWTOR is somewhere around 250,000; GW2 might well be more than that since they aren't quite as scummy on the free to play front.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@recostar: The first MMO I'd recommend these days is FF14. However, it has a sub fee so that might be a deterrent for a lot of people. If we're talking just F2P (or B2P in the case of games like GW2) though, I'd only recommend Vindictus, Rift, and TERA.

Vindictus is an MMO more like PSO than WoW in that it has a hub area and you go on missions which are just lobbies that hold anywhere from 4 (for normal missions) to I think 16ish or so (raids). The combat in this game is fan-freaking-tastic for an MMO and even trumps a lot of single-player character action games. The one major downside is this game gets sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo grindy later on. It's like...painfully grindy at a certain point lol. That said, they do put on a lot of double/triple XP events and if you have a buddy to play with, it makes the grind easier. Still looks/sounds great. Still tons of people playing. Still getting content on a regular basis. Still going strong.

Rift is pretty much f2p WoW. Not much else to say really haha. I mean...there are some differences like the class system and dynamic content (which will probably get old fast) other little details, but...like...it's more or less WoW/SWTOR/that type of game. The reason I'd recommend it over SWTOR though is that all the content is available to all players whether you pay or not. Paying just gets you extra things like more bag slots, character slots, cosmetics, mounts, etc etc. Also, they still seem to be putting out content for it at a good pace too.

I wasn't a fan of TERA, but I'd still recommend it because it's just different enough from everything else. Like Vindictus, the combat is all real-time, but unlike Vindictus, it takes place in an open world...and the combat isn't nearly as good as Vindictus. Again, that's just my opinion. Give it a shot though. You may enjoy it more than I did.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of the two you put out there, I'd say GW2 is the better. Not having the F2P scum in there is a big plus. I would recommend against playing WoW however. As someone who played WoW for the first time after Cata, people are not very helpful and expect you to know a ton about the game from the get go. That said I did end up enjoying WoW, I just used the internet and had to read for a long time to figure out what was going on.

For my recommendations, GW2 unless you are a huge star wars guy and are interested in the story

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Guildwars 2 is a much better game overall, the quest system and combat are way more flexible and active than SWTOR. I've played both to to max level and even at launch SWTOR felt super empty b/c so much of the game is instanced areas. Conversely GW 2 is laid out in such a way that your constantly working with people just because they are in the same general area.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Elder Scrolls and Wikdstar will have plenty of people playing in the coming months, and they're both pretty strong games.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@elwoodan said:

Guildwars 2 is a much better game overall, the quest system and combat are way more flexible and active than SWTOR. I've played both to to max level and even at launch SWTOR felt super empty b/c so much of the game is instanced areas. Conversely GW 2 is laid out in such a way that your constantly working with people just because they are in the same general area.

It's funny; I feel the exact opposite about the games because of the combat and quest systems. TOR plays like BC-era WoW, while the GW2/Wildstar-style combat is actively unfun for me.

Also, I just went back and checked out TOR again at the end of February. Like you, I had quit after the first month because there was nothing to do at 50, but they've done a pretty good job of adding a bunch of stuff to do at max now. The way they do F2P is garbage, but if you were already subbed at one point (or you buy something on the cash shop) you get past most of it. I actually subbed for a month and don't regret it.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By IamTerics

Guild Wars has a way of shuffling there servers around so you ,should be, always in a populated zone. Its a little bit more complicated than that, but that's why its easier to find people doing stuff. Its relatively recent too.

Game wise, Guild Wars 2 was the only MMO I have really enjoyed. Though I'm not a huge fan of MMOs in general.

dizzylemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It can depend on what kind of MMO experience you're after?

SWTOR is a pretty good example of a single player MMO. You can get all of the story, and it is quite a good story for the most part, done solo with the odd group dungeon or PVP match along the way. Endgame is a bit hit or miss but there's enough to do that if you enjoy it there'll be people to do it with. Do consider throwing in a few bucks for the account upgrade if you've not played before though!

People have covered GW2 quite nicely, but i'd also recommend that.

Another option is Lord of the Rings Online. It's dated and pretty barren for the most part, but the questing is nice and there's lots to do, especially if you're into the lore of it all. You can get to 20 without any financial commitment to see whether it's worth putting some money in to.

Recostar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: Thank you so much for the help and recommending Vindictus, this game was no ware near my radar. I stayed up pretty late watching a twitch player and the combat in the game really does look fantastic. I think I'm going to give it a try.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I booted up Guild Wars 2 just now and people are still actively playing it and also saw some people from the giant bomb guild online as well. I also played swtor a little bit and while I'm not in any guild of any sorts the server I was on seemed pretty light. If you weren't in any of the major hub cities it seemed pretty dead everywhere else.

Avatar image for phantomgardener
PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blommer4 said:

I'd recommend WoW, it still has a huge playerbase and if you get into it there is an expansion coming out in about half a year. From the two you listed, I enjoyed SWTOR more, but haven't played it since launch basically so my opinion there means little to nothing. I never really got into GW2, I felt there was very little that really pulled me into that game and very much I straight up disliked.

The starting and low level areas are pretty dead now in WoW aren't they?

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Aviar

The newest mmo's Elder Scrolls and Wildstar are are gonna be a safe bet. It seems there are plenty of people playing both of these, I myself in playing ESO, but there seems to be a lot of hype around Wildstar as well.

I have never seen a queue in ESO and i'm not sure about how Wildstar.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Blommer4

@phantomgardener: It all depends on the server and faction, but unless you play at the right times, you won't see that many other players in the lower levels - you're right about that one!

kahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Out of those two Guild Wars 2

kinggiddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If those games happen to get boring for you make sure you check out the Giantbomb corporation for EVE. (Trial link in thread!)

We're here by duders for duders, so anyone interested in welcome. If you happen to drop by pipe up in the "giantbombing" channel and say, "hi!"

flameballz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By flameballz

currently I think they are WoW > FFXIV > GW2 > ESO > RuneScape > EVE > SWtOR.

sorry for the bump. Just posting as I was looking for this myself (saw this on the first page) and know people are searching for it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything about the way New World was made seems like a fucking nightmare.

If that game turns around I'll be more impressed than I was with FFXIVs rebirth.