Which Nintendo game did you like more?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which Nintendo game did you like more? (268 votes)

Super Mario Galaxy 2 a lot more! 4%
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild a lot more! 29%
Super Mario Galaxy a little more. 4%
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild a little more. 9%
They're both equal in my book! They're really good (or beyond that). 7%
I disliked them equally. 1%
I didn't play Galaxy 2. 15%
I didn't play Breath of the Wild. 7%
I didn't play either of those games. 21%
Other option not named. 1%

Unfortunately, I didn't play either of them (yet). I made a thread in 2012 asking if I should play Galaxy 2, and I know the answer is still yes. I kind of want to get it today; I've held off not playing it for too long. I was excited about it before it came out because I loved the first, but the biggest reason I didn't get it then was just that I didn't have a job. I put it off even when I finally got one since I was playing other things, but I also remember feeling that the game (though not to its detriment I'm sure) looked very similar to the first and that it, while a sequel, didn't follow directly after the first one in story from what I understood (which might seem silly to expect to some), and I was already kind of done with the Wii at that point. I think now is a good time to play it as I wait for other games and to finally play Breath of the Wild. I am just waiting to get a Switch before I play it; I don't really want to play it on the Wii U even though it's not that much different. I thought it might be interesting to hear what you all thought, which is the better game? They're both lauded. Lastly, does anyone think Mario Galaxy 2 still holds up? It won't affect my decision to get it, I'm just curious what you think. I'm sure it does.

• 
nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't played Zelda yet, but Galaxy 2 definitely holds up! Played it pretty recently and while I still like the first Galaxy better, 2 is still an awesome game!

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've put about 100 hours into Zelda so far. And I love it.

But both Galaxy games are in my top ten list of greatest games ever made.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought Galaxy 2. Finally! I'm also glad it downloads fast. Unfortunately, I have to use batteries for the controller, and I don't know how long that'll last. The Wiimote Nyko charger stopped working a long time ago.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I never liked the galaxy games so I'm pretty biased in this regard (thought they were too easy) but the new Zelda is pretty amazing. Honestly if you really liked Galaxy 1 it might do you better to buy 2 and wait for when the dlc for Zelda comes out to buy it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Galaxy 2 is a really good game, but if you've played Galaxy 1, it's not like a whole new ballgame or anything. You'll have an idea of what to expect in Galaxy 2, plus they add a few new powerups, Yoshi, etc. It's a good game, you'll enjoy your time with it.

Breath of the Wild is just such a whole new thing relative to any prior Zelda games, while also being a pretty original open world game in its own right that would be getting attention even if it somehow didn't have the Zelda name on it. It's really good, and I continue to enjoy my time with it.

So when you ask me which one I like more, it's like asking if I like Portal 2 more than Rock Band. It's just not a comparison I can say much about because they're such different games.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dan_CiTi

I liked BotW a few notches more, but I do wish the Galaxy games could get proper ports to the Switch. They wouldn't have to do much to put a Galaxy 1+2 HD out, besides redesigning the "monkey ball" levels (which there are like 3 of maybe) somewhat. I'm sure they would sell like hot cakes.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like breath of the wild a lot more, but Zelda resonates with me more than Mario does in general. Galaxy 2 is still an amazing game. If I could only pick one it'd be Breath of the Wild for sure. It's amazing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Galaxy 2 is probably my favorite 3D Nintendo game. Zelda's great, but we'll see how I feel about it in a couple years.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Zelda, no contest. I don't like the Galaxy games that much.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galaxy 2 (and 1) is one of the greatest platformers of all time.

BoTW is also probably one of the best games of its kind (haven't played it yet)

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan_citi: Yeah, I felt they could have done that with the Wii U. I wouldn't mind playing both of them without the nunchuck too, but with normal gamepad controls. Maybe not after I play Breath of the Wild, but I felt the same way about Skyward Sword.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own Galaxy 2 but haven't got around to playing it since I haven't finished the first one. BotW does more for me than the first Galaxy though.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM

I'm liking Super Mario Galaxy 2, but it is very much like the first one, just with additions here and there like Yoshi. While I don't necessarily dislike it, I liked the way you went from stage to stage in the first one more than how they reverted back to an older Mario style in this. Galaxy was actually more akin to Mario 64, while Galaxy 2's approach is like the side-scrolling Mario games in that way, where it's a grid. That's my memory of it anyways. Maybe it's because I haven't played the first Galaxy in a long time, but the feeling I'm getting with two is almost as if they made Galaxy 2 really quickly. Taking aspects from the first, throwing new little things in here and there and then boom, the game is complete, and because of how good the first one was, it made it hard for the second to fail. Just my take on it. I don't think it's better than the first so far, but I am still enjoying it a lot, enough to see it as one of the best games of 2010 for sure.

I am surprised that the scores for the game went up, rather than very, very slightly down compared to the first though. Something I am realizing as I play this is that 2010 was almost another 2007 (another amazing year for games to me), where it was filled with many amazing games. I'm not that far into Super Mario Galaxy 2; have about 26 stars. Impressions are so far that I like the first slightly more, but that isn't saying much just because of how good the first one was to me. I am not the biggest fan of Super Mario; they're well-made games and I'd like to experience them when they come, but my enthusiasm for them are not the highest they can be compared to other games I love. Super Mario Galaxy, on the other hand, I just find to be fantastic and my favorite Mario game without a doubt. I'm interested to see what Odyssey brings.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BisonHero

@ntm said:

I'm liking Super Mario Galaxy 2, but it is very much like the first one, just with additions here and there like Yoshi. While I don't necessarily dislike it, I liked the way you went from stage to stage in the first one more than how they reverted back to an older Mario style in this. Galaxy was actually more akin to Mario 64, while Galaxy 2's approach is like the side-scrolling Mario games in that way, where it's a grid. That's my memory of it anyways. Maybe it's because I haven't played the first Galaxy in a long time, but the feeling I'm getting with two is almost as if they made Galaxy 2 really quickly. Taking aspects from the first, throwing new little things in here and there and then boom, the game is complete, and because of how good the first one was, it made it hard for the second to fail. Just my take on it. I don't think it's better than the first so far, but I am still enjoying it a lot, enough to see it as one of the best games of 2010 for sure.

For a time, Galaxy 2 was actually going to be like Ocarina of Time: Master Quest, where it was going to be the same levels, but "remixed" so that stuff was in different places, and you start in different parts of the map and work backwards, and that kind of stuff. They eventually just made it a full-on sequel, but that's probably why you're noticing that it feels like it was made quickly. I think the most noticeable thing is that Galaxy 2 reuses like the entirety of the Honey Bee Galaxy, except it's autumn instead of spring, right? Thankfully, that's one of the only repeats and most of the game is new stages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Galaxy_2#Development

But yeah, like I said earlier, Galaxy 2 is a very robust expansion pack-esque sequel to Galaxy. Still a very well made game that is enjoyable, but nothing in it is knock-your-socks-off original and amazing compared to Galaxy 1. It's like, as good as Galaxy 1, which is still pretty dang good, but rarely did it ever surprise me.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NTM

@bisonhero: Hey, I didn't get your reply. It didn't show, unfortunately. I am just coming on since I finished Mario Galaxy 2 yesterday and wanted to briefly say what I felt. I thought the game was really well made, but not as good as the first. Like I said before, I am really surprised the game scored better than the first and as well as it did. Just as an example, If the first was a 9.5, the second should have been a 9.0. I'm just saying. It wasn't a game in my opinion that did things better than the first in any way, in fact, it took some things out that I appreciated, but put a few things in, like Yoshi. I liked whatever story they had in Galaxy more, and it didn't feel as throwaway, basic as Galaxy 2's. The music in two is really good, but there's a lot more of the old tracks just reorchestrated if my memory serves me right, while the first had a lot of good original songs, and I appreciated the map selection more than the basic grid design.

While I'm glad I played it, honestly my very first impression was correct, more correct than I wanted. I don't feel I needed to really play it because I could have just stuck with the first Mario Galaxy and been just as happy. Galaxy 2 is a really well-made game; the stage design is well crafted and the things they give you to get around those maps are good, I just think some aspects felt as if they were quickly put in, to piece it all together, and it comes off as slightly worse than the first to me. Again, glad I played it, but in the end, I don't feel like I needed to really since it doesn't really do anything new and interesting that hasn't been seen in the first. That all said, the last time I really played the first Mario Galaxy was ten years ago, but the game was good enough I believe I remember how it went.

Avatar image for socurtoxanarosa
SocurToxanarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Metroid, don't like kiddie games.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Luchalma

Breath of the Wild is very good. Very very good even. I'll need some time to look back on it and decide where it stands in the pantheon though.

Galaxy 2 is an absolute masterpiece. Just a beautiful game top to bottom. I did prefer the level progression from the first game, but I feel, and the sentiment was at the time (hence the higher scores) that the actual stages themselves were more interesting and better designed. It felt to me like they were given more freedom to try new things and get more weird with it.

Nintendo isn't always firing on all cylinders. But when they are the games they produce are in a class of their own.

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Haven't played Zelda yet, but both of the Galaxy games are brilliant.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Humanity

Where is the "I don't enjoy any Nintendo games" option? I know, I know, don't do unto others and all that.. but I couldn't help myself. Galaxy is a heck of a platformer though.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I liked BotW quite a bit, but Galaxy 2 is the best 3D platformer ever made.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Pokémon

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Tom_omb

I'm the rare Mario fan who liked 3D Mario World more than the Galaxy games. Something about using the wiimote made the first game a challenge to get into. I've dropped off and returned to Galaxy 1 several times over the years and it's prevented me from playing much of Galaxy 2.

Play Breath of the Wild.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Haven't played BOTW (looking forward to though). The Galaxy games are in a class of their own.