Which of one of these action RPGs excites you the most?

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which of one of these action RPGs excites you the most? (242 votes)

The Witcher 3 64%
Dragon Age: Inquisition 23%
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor 12%

So the title says it all. Personally, I'm torn between The Witcher and Shadow of Mordor, but I'm leaning towards the former.

• 
ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Right now it's Dragon Age, but only because it's closer to release. In the long run The Witcher 3 is definitely the game I'm most looking forward to.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Witcher isn't really an Action RPG since the combat is such a small portion of it. 90% of the gameplay is walking around talking to people and inventory management.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The E3 trailer for Witcher 3 earlier this year got me really excited, but since then it has kinda fallen off my radar. That said, it still looks very promising and I'll likely grab a PS4 copy for meself once it's released. Dragon Age I've never had any real interest in and Middle-Earth...mneeh. I really liked them movies, but don't really care for the world outside of that. Of course it all does depend a bit on whatever they'll be praised by the critics or not.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Clonedzero

Is middle earth even an RPG?

Either way, Witcher 3. It looks absolutely amazing, every trailer, every gameplay clip they show, it's stunning.

Dragon age looks pretty decent, but i'm still skeptical.

Witcher 3 is the sure bet, and dragon age is the wild card. MIddle earth is the chaser you drink between hands.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zella

Don't really think Shadow of Mordor could be considered the same genre as the other two. Seems to be much more of an action adventure than an rpg like Witcher and DA. I voted Inquisition as from what I have seen it looks like the best parts of 1 and 2(which I really liked despite its many flaws) and the Witcher series has always seemed a little too dense to me.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I would say Shadow of Mordor? Witcher 3 and Inquisition look great, but I want to play the older games in the series (at least Witcher 2 and I never finished my save of Origins, I should do this) and I'm terribly slow at beating games, especially RPG's. Mordor has no previous games so I could easily pick it up and just play through it and not irritate the part of my brain that almost always demand I play and finish previous game of series whenever a sequel hits.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher isn't really an Action RPG since the combat is such a small portion of it. 90% of the gameplay is walking around talking to people and inventory management.

It's a role playing game with real time, action oriented combat (which is far more than 10% of the game btw). That's pretty much the definition of an action RPG.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The witcher 3 looks really cool. I hope the ps4 version isnt that much worse than the pc version in terms of visual quality. I was amazed when I watched a recent gameplay video for it and the trees were realistically swaying in the wind. Hope stuff like that doesn't get cut.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The witcher 3 looks really cool. I hope the ps4 version isnt that much worse than the pc version in terms of visual quality. I was amazed when I watched a recent gameplay video for it and the trees were realistically swaying in the wind. Hope stuff like that doesn't get cut.

I am hoping the same thing about the Witcher 3. Given how amazing it looks I know there is little chance I'll be able to get anywhere near max settings with my PC, but I was hoping to get another year out of my PC before having to upgrade. If the PS4 version is at least close to the PC I'd gladly go with that one rather than having worry about what kind of setting I'll be able to run it at.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#10 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Witcher 3, I picked up the first Witcher game on a whim and have loved that series since.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

They all interest me equally (zilch)

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witcher 3 looks awesome. I was never really interested in the series until I saw that reveal at E3. It kinda reminded me of the first everyone saw Skyrim being payed like "WHAT AM I WATCHING?! I NEED THIS NOOOOWWW!!!!"

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witcher 3 easily. I don't really care at all about the Lord of the Rings game, and I similarly don't give two shits about the new Dragon Age either, so the Witcher wins by default. Even if I DID give a shit about the other two, given the fact that the Witcher 3 is the finale of the series and everything released about it so far has looked absolutely fucking amazing, I'd still go with it. I'm completely on board the hype-train when it comes to The Witcher 3, but with my current computer, I'd probably be lucky to get the graphics to run at medium settings, which really bum me out.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age. Although I played lots of Witcher 1 (loved it, but never finished it) I never got into Witcher 2.

Also I'm hoping that DA-Inq is like Origins, because I finished Origins twice, so I want more of that >_>

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to say the Witcher 3, since that game seems like it could be pretty awesome, but I still haven't played The Witcher 2 and I have no idea when I'll be able to upgrade my computer to do so. And while I could skip it and just get 3 on the PS4, skipping the middle chapter of the story feels antithetical to my very existence.

So it's Dragon Age for now, which is only a very recent development, since I was pretty much completely ignoring it until I played DA2 like a month ago and enjoyed it way more than I expected. I'm glad I did though, because taking a closer look at Inquisition it seems like it could be the best of both DA1 and DA2 and more.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3, but I'm still going to buy Middle-Earth and will be avoiding DA

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

The Witcher looks like everything I want in an RPG. Dragon Age 3 is something I'm gonna get. Shadow of Mordor is a maybe.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlexGBRO

is shadow considerd a rpg?

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Witcher 3 of course. Doubt I'll buy eiter of the other two day one since reasons. Wait to see if there's a Black Friday Sale for DA (got origins for $35 the year it came out and happy 'bout that savings on such a great game), and Shadows of Mordor I want to wait for review and general impressions. Sound like that game could be great, or the enemy system just a superficial addition in the menus and the actual game being somewhat monotonous and tedious.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By penguindust

Dragon Age Inquisition for me. Because I started out with pencil-and-paper RPGs, I will always chose the game which allows me to create my own character rather than having me play a pre-made one. Character customization means a lot to me. Additionally, while I do believe Witcher 3 will be very good, I have no attachment to Geralt.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Witcher 3 of course, watching all the interviews and gameplay videos it seems that action is at every corner of the game.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher ofc.

Bioware has 2 recent failed rpgs in their backpack and what is Shadow of Mordor?

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By excast

It's a bit of a toss up.

I have never played a Witcher game as I have a Playstation 3 and don't really play much on my PC. The Witcher 3 looks absolutely amazing and I can't wait to dive in once I do get a PS4 down the line.

Dragon Age also looks great and I have played both previous games, so my investment into that universe is a little bigger.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Palmlykta

DA franchise is so bland, I don't see the appeal there.

And I just can't get behind Shadows of Mordor, sorry, but no. When it comes to LOTR I'm a conservative asshole.

The Witcher 3 on the other hand... I'll play that.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age. I played but never finished Witcher 2, I enjoyed it but I never quite clicked with it to where it became a "must continue" sort of thing but the new one looks really nice. And I am a bit tired of Lord of the Rings related things, so that Shadow of Mordor game better be something extra spectacular for me to bother.

For as much Dragon Age 2 was a bit of a disappointment in scope, I still enjoyed it and finished it.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zenmastah

Im planning on building a new PC for TW3.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadows of Mordor may be a good start for me for the very reasons people state here, RPG light, action heavy. But I always have wanted to play a Witcher game (I even have them-steam lib.). For a graphically intense modern action RPG I have played the Stalker series.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

You know this thread really got me thinking just how wildly different these games are.

Shadow of Mordor seems to just barely be an RPG; much more of an action game with the classic "RPG Elements" thrown in.

The Witcher is undoubtedly an RPG but combat never feels like the focus of the game. Funny enough I feel it's a 60/40 Talking/Fighting split here but I'd say the opposite about Dragon Age, which while it has tons of talking also has a real focus on fighting. So maybe 60/40 fighting to talking.

None of these to me are action rpgs anyways, I can only think Diablo when I hear those words. But eh, genres are genres.

All in all I'm most excited for Witcher 3 but really surprising myself how pumped I am getting for DA:I.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#29  Edited By StarvingGamer

DA:I, especially considering that the "A" is optional. Also because I just like DA more than Witcher.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I don't really consider DA an action RPG, but I picked it since it was there. It took me a long time to finish Witcher 2, and while it was certainly pretty good, it just didn't hit me the same way the first one did.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Voted Witcher 3, mainly because I assume after I finally play the first two I'll be ready for it AND I'm tentatively excited for DA:I after the disaster that 2 was.

Shadows of Mordor looks cool, hope for the best.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I own the Witcher 2 (and possible the first one - though I doubt I'd go back to it anyway) so the Witcher 3 doesn't excite me as I see nothing there that I'm invested in that I can't just get from actually playing the one I have but am only a couple hours in. So I went with dragon age because it seems to be trying something new (almost as if it were a new IP - just in the universe we know). I didn't play Dragon Age 2 though, so maybe if I had I'd be less into this new one.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Voted Witcher 3, since it looks gorgeous and I loved the first two entries in the series.

I'm a Lord of the Rings snob, so I cannot in good taste vote for Assassins Creed:Orcs, I mean, Shadows of Mordor.

DA:I, well, I still hold out hope for it, but I become less enthusiastic the more I see of it. Bioware just seems like a company so scared of its own shadow that it can no longer parse criticism effectively whatsoever. Instead of picking either DA:O or DAII to base things off of, they seem intent on just throwing elements of both games into a pot and making an unholy mess of things, because heaven forbid there be a single person who doesn't like something about the game.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3. That game just looks to have so much polish.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm looking forward to DA:I mainly for the combat, and The Witcher 3 for the story. That said, I'm still a bit skeptical -- or rather cautiously optimistic -- about them, since both are trying this open world thing for the first time.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DA:I so far. Mordor might also be fun, but I haven't really watched much of it yet.

The Witcher I don't care about at all. I tried 1 and 2 a few hours each and I just don't give a damn about the story, which for me is one of the main reasons I play games at all.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

When you compare it to something like Diablo sure. But the first two Witchers had a lot of combat. And there's so many different sub genres of RPGs it's getting harder and harder to categorise them.

Anyway, as ive said before in the 'Witcher v DA' thread. The Witcher 3. It isnt even close. I loved the original Dragon Age for it's mechanics but I could not care less about the universe or any of it's characters and that's kind of a problem in an RPG.

And Shadow of Mordor is an action-adventure. It's basicly Batman in Middle-Earth. Which is fine. But i'm kind of burnt out on that formula. (the nemesis system seems cool though)

Bipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glottery said:

Middle-Earth...mneeh. I really liked them movies, but don't really care for the world outside of that.

It's ok, the game doesn't care about that world either.

Calmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Calmgamer

Voted Witcher 3, but am going to get all 3 games. All look like mature takes on the genre. Going to be a fun fall... just wish at least 1 of the 3 would have come during the spring/summer dry spell.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im just gonna pencil in Bloodborne for ya

bgmnts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadows of Mordor is something new and I'm not quite over LotR yet.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It goes witcher 3, dragon age, shaddow of mordor. I'll probably buy em all so whatever.

HelloDanni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing through Dragon Age Origins right now, so I'll go with Inquisition.

Avatar image for soulharvester45
SoulHarvester45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44  Edited By SoulHarvester45

Most excited for Dragon Age: Inquisition. Love the franchise, and hopefully Inquisition will get rid of the sour taste that DA2 left in my mouth.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

Right now it's Dragon Age, but only because it's closer to release. In the long run The Witcher 3 is definitely the game I'm most looking forward to.

agreed

CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Shadow of Mordor is the only one of those games that interests me. I tried but disliked The Witcher 2 and I haven't been that big on Bioware since they were acquired by EA, plus Dragon Age 2 wasn't exactly the greatest.