Which of the next big JRPGs do you have the highest hopes for - Bloodborne, FFXV, P5 or X?

• 81 results
Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Poll Which of the next big JRPGs do you have the highest hopes for - Bloodborne, FFXV, P5 or X? (277 votes)

Bloodborne 23%
Final Fantasy XV 12%
Persona 5 58%
Xenoblade Chronicles X 8%
Other (eg next Tales game, FF Type-0, etc) 1%

Which of the next big JRPGs are you looking forward to most or have the highest hopes for?

Personally, my vote has always and will always go to Persona 5 - but I'll likely pick up every game on this list bar X, since I have no plans to buy a Wii U.

• 
GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GabrielCantor

I'd probably have to say XV? Mostly just because I have more faith that P5 will be good, and honestly, even if it's just more of the same I'm ok with that. XV though, seems like it could easily go real bad but I want it to be really good, and believe it can be.

Despite not playing Xenoblade Chronicles, I'm pretty excited for X too. And open-world-ish, action JRPG, with mechs, and music by Hiroyuki Sawano? It's kind of everything I want. I'm also more likely to get a Wii U soon for a handful of other games than I am a PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I pretty much have no hope FFXV will be anything close to what I want out of a JRPG.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodborne, but I don't consider that to be a JRPG.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Bloodborne for sure, even though I'm not sure it counts in this scenario. Persona 5 is most likely gonna be good if not amazing, but with potential to be amazing.

I still have hopes for FF15, we will see though.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodborne isn't really a JRPG in the sense most people mean it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Hunter5024

My hope for Final Fantasy XV is that despite being totally divorced from what I think Final Fantasy should be, it manages to deliver a gameplay and narrative experience that's interesting in its own way. My hope for Persona 5 is that they match the same incredibly high bar that they set with their previous games. So I certainly expect more out of Persona 5, but I would define my feelings for XV as more hopeful than they are for Persona.

Can't say I have much of an opinion about X. Despite owning one of Xenoblade Chronicle's coveted copies I haven't found the time for that investment yet, and it's not really a super high priority either. I don't particularly appreciate games of that length, and the battle system is not a style I'm known to enjoy. As for Bloodborne all I can say is that I enjoyed the original Dark Souls earlier this year, and I guess I'd be up for another one of those.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assuming you count it as a JRPG, Xenoblade Chronicles X (although if I had a PS3 Persona 5 wouldn't be far behind at all).

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust

Persona 5, and after it X.

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of the above. Don't make me choose!

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it weird that I only consider two of those games (P5 and X) JRPGs? Until I get some kind of release date for Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky II: Even More Words to Type, P5 is the runaway winner.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If P5 doesnt win this poll in a landslide, I've been seriously misjudging this community for years.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodborn isn't a JRPG

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I guess I'm just an optimist till the end, but I hope all those games are good.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Persona 5. I'm excited for Bloodborne and X, but not on the same level so many other people seem to be. My hopes for FFXV is that it's better the XIII saga so I can't really say those hopes are "high."

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only upcoming JRPG I have any interest in is Bloodborne, which plays far too much like the Souls games. People act like being unable to block is a big change. Well, I don't even use shields in Dark Souls II anymore, but I still like to block with my sword sometimes. I'm fairly sure you can't block because they want to emphasize dual wielding but are unwilling to change the controls. If it were for balance, they could have put in timed blocks.

FFXV, P5 and X all have really unappealing art styles. Typical of Japan these days.

Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Ninja

Bloodborne definitely isn't a JRPG and I haven't really considered Final Fantasy as a JRPG franchise in recent years, it's really lost it's identity and FFXV doesn't look like it draws from the series roots any more than XIII did.

I'm really excited for Persona 5 though!

Cimpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cimpy

So I just traded some guy for a vita and have been LOVING P4 Golden. I have to say though that playing it on a handheld is the best way for me to enjoy it. As a busy guy I only have snippets of time to play. The vita lets me suspend and resume whenever I like so it makes this game a joy to play. I don't know if I'll enjoy P5 as much if it's not on vita.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I have some interest in all 4 of those, in roughly this order and for these reasons:

BloodBorne - I'm still into the Dark Soulsian type of gameplay a fair bit and this one seems to shake things up just enough to keep me coming back for another round. Looks great too.

Final Fantasy XV - I'm sure there'll be plenty of things I won't like about this game, but I'm hopeful that it will be engaging enough to stick with. Hoping the characters won't be eye-rolling, story will be fine and that the combat system is just deep and varied enough for how flashy it looks to be enjoyable.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - I played the first one a fair bit and thought it was interesting and well made in many ways, even the story had a few interesting ideas I was into. Unfortunately, like so many other long RPGs I burned myself out on it and never finished it. Doesn't mean I won't give a similar game another chance though.

Persona 5 - I'm fairly confident this will be a good game, and Persona 4 was one of a rare breed of RPGs that I actually pushed myself to finish. I'm just not sure I want more of its particular premise, if it remains unchanged. For Persona too keep my interest I want it to keep looking closer at the core of its characters. You could say that, out of these four games, it has the highest expectations and that's why I have the least confidence in it being everything I can imagine it to be. It's the one game in this bunch out of whom I expect evolution over iteration, I guess you could sum it up like that.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy

Xenoblade X. This was actually a hard poll. Bloodborne I know is going to be good. Persona 5 could go either way, it has huge shoes to fill. XV looks and sounds amazing and I'm really excited for it, but when comparing to Xenoblade Chronicles, which I thought was one of the top 3 games of last gen, I think X gets my vote because I am expecting so much from that game.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Silly labels.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

If we start defining JRPG as any RPG originating from Japan, then we need a new term for what JRPG currently stands for.

Bloodborne is not a JRPG right now.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Highest Hopes - FFXV ( I hope it is good and can "save" the series)

Most Excited For - Persona 5 (I personally want to play this game more than any other announced RPG)

I can't wait to play Bloodborne but it's not really a JRPG.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Xenoblade.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ezekiel

JRPG is far too broad a genre, and it's only going to get worse as games become more experimental. I'm going to keep interpreting the term as "Japanese(-made) RPGs".

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm actually really excited for all of them. I haven't seen a group of JRPG's coming out this close to each other of such pedigree in a long time. I'm sorry I can't choose!

Harknett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Of those games, Persona will probably be the only one I play.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as traditional JRPGs go Xenoblade, as far as just random games mentioned in this thread for some reason Bloodborne. But the Witcher 3 is a PRPG and it's really a tossup between that and Bloodborne.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sterling

But the Witcher 3 is a PRPG and it's really a tossup between that and Bloodborne.

Lets get nuts and call the Witcher games PRPGs. The P is for Polish.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have pretty high hopes for P5. I'm confident it will be a good game, but I'm hoping/expecting them to mix things up in a way that makes the series feel fresh again. I don't necessarily mind iteration, but this is the time to go all out. Though even if it is another iterative entry I'll probably still play the hell out of it and enjoy it.

I liked Xenoblade Chronicles a lot, but I'm not sure what to think about X yet. Maybe it's just because I don't have a WiiU yet, but I'm not necessarily dying to play it. (I had similar feeling about Xenoblade though, until I played it.)

I have no strong love for Final Fantasy, so I kinda don't really care what happens with this game. My expections are pretty in-line almost every other FF. I'll play it, have some fun, and then forget about it. The chance of it being another FFIX (ie, the only one I legitimately love) seem non-existent.

As for Bloodboorne, I've found myself not caring one bit about anything I've seen about that game. I don't know why. I've played every Souls game so far and enjoyed them, eventually. Maybe I'm just finally burnt out on these games. Or maybe I'm just not in a "Souls" mood right now. I'm sure I'll play it eventually, but right now it's completely off my radar.

Party

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

P5. It's the only one I can actually play! ALL ABOUT THAT OLD CONSOLE LYFE.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5 and Bloodborne. I look forward to both a ridiculous amount.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

I have pretty high hopes for P5. I'm confident it will be a good game, but I'm hoping/expecting them to mix things up in a way that makes the series feel fresh again. I don't necessarily mind iteration, but this is the time to go all out. Though even if it is another iterative entry I'll probably still play the hell out of it and enjoy it.

I liked Xenoblade Chronicles a lot, but I'm not sure what to think about X yet. Maybe it's just because I don't have a WiiU yet, but I'm not necessarily dying to play it. (I had similar feeling about Xenoblade though, until I played it.)

I have no strong love for Final Fantasy, so I kinda don't really care what happens with this game. My expections are pretty in-line almost every other FF. I'll play it, have some fun, and then forget about it. The chance of it being another FFIX (ie, the only one I legitimately love) seem non-existent.

As for Bloodboorne, I've found myself not caring one bit about anything I've seen about that game. I don't know why. I've played every Souls game so far and enjoyed them, eventually. Maybe I'm just finally burnt out on these games. Or maybe I'm just not in a "Souls" mood right now. I'm sure I'll play it eventually, but right now it's completely off my radar.

lol this guy needs a hug hahahhaah

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zeik
SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodborn is a third person rogue-likelike.

FF15 will be a great third person action adventure, hopefully with enough RPG elements to make it FF13'y or better.

Persona 5 ought to be great and RPG as heck unless they change the formula too hard.

Xenoblade Chronicles X if it beats Xenoblade will be The Shit, The Ultimate GET A WIIU BEFORE THEY SELL OUT Shit.

FF Type-0 promises changes from the negatives of the PSP version so of course.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Bloodborne and Persona 5 are the ones I know I'll have an amazing time with.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ford_Dent

I am so stupidly pumped for Persona 5 I don't even know what is going on in my brain anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

X is the only one of those I think I'd buy, so that I guess. I'm not too sold on what I've seen of the game, though.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@somejerk: @nasar7: @zevvion: @sterling: @ninja: @pyrodactyl: @giantlizardking:

Just want to note that I was stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the two definitions of "JRPG". I personally define it as any RPG made in Japan (and Souls is still an RPG in my books since it borrows so much from Dungeons and Dragons).

Why? Well if you look at Persona, FFXV and Xenoblade, they all share roots in classics like Final Fantasy, Legend of Mana, etc but are clearly very VERY different games. Heck, the parts of Persona that this community loves most are the dating sim elements.

Anywho - I refer to what I think you guys are talking about as "traditional JRPGs" and wouldn't call any of these games traditional JRPGs.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By slyspider

p5 is the only correct answer.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Persona 5 is the only one of these that I have any interest in so I guess it wins by default.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pyrodactyl

@selfconfessedcynic said:

Just want to note that I was stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the two definitions of "JRPG". I personally define it as any RPG made in Japan (and Souls is still an RPG in my books since it borrows so much from Dungeons and Dragons).

Why? Well if you look at Persona, FFXV and Xenoblade, they all share roots in classics like Final Fantasy, Legend of Mana, etc but are clearly very VERY different games. Heck, the parts of Persona that this community loves most are the dating sim elements.

Anywho - I refer to what I think you guys are talking about as "traditional JRPGs" and wouldn't call any of these games traditional JRPGs.

JRPGs aren't RPGs made in japan. They're RPGs focused on characters and story over player agency. They often have old school turn based or MMO combat, multiple party members and a clear japanese (anime) feel. You can debate whatever Penny Arcade: OTRSPoD, costum quest, Persona or xenoblades are JRPGs (I would say they are) but Bloodborn definitively isn't. It's a one character action RPG with clear western influences.

The classification of RPGs made in japan as JRPGs doesn't serve any purpose. It doesn't tell you anything about what the game actually is and that's the whole point of genre classification.

Loading Video...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

FFXV for me. Don't know enough about P5 yet. I expect I'll pick up X but get bored of it like I did with Chronicles. Also lol at Bloodborne on this list. At that point you might as well include Smash except I guess it's already out sorta.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Bloodborne is 1 of only a very few games that I am actually hyped for, not sure it fits this catogory but w/e.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Persona gun be good.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't use to be a Persona fan or that big of a JRPG player. But having recently played 3 and of course watched the endurance run on this site, I'd be lying if I said I weren't just a tiny bit psyched for Persona 5, fuck all that fighting game jazz give me the real thing!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Bloodborne!

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have hopes for all these except for FFXV. If it does turn out to be fine, then great, but I'm not holding my breath. On the other hand, I have some much hype for Persona 5. It's been five years since P4! Get bent!

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NegativeCero

Bloodborne not JRPG, in my opinion. But definitely P5. I have no reason to think they won't make a quality game. It just might not be able to top P4, though.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I wouldn't consider Bloodborne a JRPG so I'm gonna vote for P5. I'm really, really pumped for that game. I have lost pretty much all hope for Final Fantasy at this point.