Which series were you way late to the party for but now really enjoy?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

I recently started playing Ace Combat 7 and I'm really enjoying it. I think I once touched AC4 but this is the first time I'm actually giving the series a real shake and hot damn, I've been missing out! It has a lot more depth then I expected and I quite like the tone of the narrative. I'm finding the game a decent challenge so that's a plus! I'm glad I found another series I can go back and dig more into.

Which series did you get into really late but now a fan of?

Trondood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Hellblade. Didn't even think about it until it came to Game Pass and now its one of my favorite games. So good!

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yakuza, for me. Just played 0 earlier in the year and fell in love. Initially planned on working through the series at like two a year, but with the lockdown I've been busting through games really quickly.

Oh man, I'm excited for you getting into AC. With the exception of 3, each numbered entry is pretty good or great, although 1 and 2 are visually pretty...archaic. Still, you're in for some good times.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Well, I'd say the Tales series, although I'm not sure if it's a case of "really enjoying it." My first one was Tales of Vesperia, which I did genuinely enjoy (it's one of my favorite JRPGs). That led to me getting Tales of Zestiria, which I really did not enjoy (I think it's one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played). I then skipped Berseria when I heard it was closer to Zestiria.

Nonetheless, I'm keeping a curious eye on Arise. Hopefully it will be much closer to Vesperia.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Efesell

Even as a huge JRPG fan I still only got into the Legend of Heroes series a few years ago, which has since become one of my highest water marks for the genre.

@therealturk: I will say.. I also hated almost everything about Zestiria but Berseria has ended up being one of my favorite games in that series.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Does Doom and Resident Evil count? I really liked Resident Evil 4 and 5 but I first played those a solid decade ago, and I didn't get into Doom until around that time. So it's been a long time since I got into those games, but also I got into both series well after they got started. I haven't played every RE since, primarily because I don't really care for the fixed camera angles and tank controls of the original games, but I'd consider 4, 5, and the remake of 2 some of my favorite games in my Steam library. I guess that's less "a fan of the franchise" and more "a fan of a specific few games in the franchise", but whatever.

Yes, 5. I know, I know, it focuses way more on action than survival, horror, or puzzle solving, and frankly I wouldn't consider playing it single player these days because babysitting Sheva sucks, but the first RE game I really played was 5, I finished it single player, I enjoyed myself immensely, and I finished it several more times. I've also finished it at least twice co op. 6 is genuine hot fucking garbage, though. Still need to play 7.

Castlevania's another really good one to bring up. I got into it when I played Dawn of Sorrow in 2013? 14? Anyway, I thought it was great. I had played Aria of Sorrow for a few hours at some point in high school but that was a friend's copy and I never got into it. When I finished Dawn of Sorrow, I got a hold of Order of Ecclesia, played Aria in an emulator, and played some Portrait of Ruin. Unsurprisingly, those are my favorite Castlevania games. Symphony is all right, but hardly my favorite, and of the classic style games I quite enjoyed Super Castlevania IV and Rondo of Blood. However, with regards to this specific franchise, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon and Ritual of the Night are the absolute best that classic Castlevania and Symphony-style Castlevania have ever been, respectively. Both games are a fucking blast and I'd recommend those two before anything in the actual Castlevania line up. That's not to say that Castlevania games aren't worth playing now, many of those entries certainly are, but Bloodstained was just that much better.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's cool that you are enjoying Ace Combat. They are all pretty challenging, where more often than not, you always feel like you're just scraping by the skin of your teeth, and the amazing soundtrack to them heightens this feeling and fits so perfectly to the actions on the screen and the in-game story being told. That said, when I go through them I simultaneously hate them and love them because there are so many parts that frustrate me in that they make you fly a specific way, often in tight spaces, and yet it's still awesome. I guess for your question, although it happened in 2016, for the best example, I'd say the Soulsborne games. I played Demon's and Dark Souls at launch but didn't get fully into them until 2016. Yakuza is another recent one and I had just finished up the series up to this point earlier this year. There is nothing that I am currently trying to catch up on if you will. There are a handful of games that are in a trilogy at least, that I played late and really enjoyed, like The Longest Journey games. I played through those in 2015 (although I had to wait for Chapters to come out on PS4).

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Gotta be Resident Evil for me. I played through Resident Evil 4 about 3 years and now I'm making my way through REmake and already purchased Resident Evil 2 to play after I'm done with that. I don't think anyone can convince me to play 6 though. That game looks like a train wreck.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Bloodborne is a good one. I was always wary of the difficulty of From games, but something about the Giant Bomb footage of the game lured me in at some point once it was on a deep sale...I bounced so hard. I was not into it at all.

A couple more years pass and it's a PS+ game, there's the Return to Yharnam event posted everywhere and I've got nothing new on the docket so I re-download it...even then, I was late in the sense I played a 7-hour marathon session wandering Central Yharnam and its sewers looking for a purpose, vowing to get better and slugging back whiskey until finally, practically randomly, I stumbled onto the Cleric Beast's bridge and realized...oh, now I can level up. The reason this game was so hard was that I was playing it like I had to clear every enemy, and because I was terrible enough at that I never made it to a boss.

Bloodborne is now probably my favorite single bit of lore in all video games. Still never played any other From game outside Tenchu demos on the PS1.

Final Fantasy VII specifically I was pretty late to. I loved FFVIII so I held a grudge against FFVII for how much more popular it was. Then I loved IX, X, X-2, XI, XII...at some point, I felt like I was older, taking liberal arts classes in college...lemme give FFVII another go. I was hooked, cruised through it in just over a week. Still not my favorite, but the combat system and charm of certain characters were way better than I ever gave it credit for as a teenager. Turns out that's exactly how the Remake translated for me as well.

finaldasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#10 finaldasa  Moderator  Online

Kingdom Hearts.

I started playing KH1 in 2018 when a friend urged me to. Despite that game being pretty dated I pushed forward last year and tried out Chain of Memories and KH2. Since then I've been pretty hooked to the story and remaining games.

Honestly, it has been genuinely enjoyable to stretch my video game legs in an entire franchise that has several games released. I can sink my teeth in as deep as I want and still have an entry or two left to devour.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza, Dark souls (although I had demon souls at launch), Diablo and ARPGs

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Final Fantasy, specifically XIV, I did play XIII a while back which I did not like to put it midly but I absolutely love XIV.