Why Aigis is an amazing love interest. Spoilers up in here.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I love Persona 3, and with some extra time on my hands recently, I felt the urge to visit it again. Now, I after completing my third playthrough. Looking back on it, i feel the urge to put down my feelings for my favorite character in words. I don't know why, since most probably don't care, but I gotta tell someone that falling in love with a fake robot was a special experience. (In short: I wanna talk about my Robo Waifu)

Aigis, The 7th Generation Anti-Shadow Suppression Weapon. You meet her(it?) in Yakushima while on a SERIOUS babe hunt as she stands, staring at the ocean in front of her. All she knows is that she needs to protect you, she doesn't know why, but she knows that it's her primary objective. As the story moves along, we see her question human life, and the purpose of her own existence. Only one thing to her is certain, that she needs to be with you. (In short: Aigis is mad attracted to you, but she doesn't know why)

The more she experiences human interaction, the less she understands. This brilliant character growth makes her more human. We aren't able to understand things out of our control. Human beings are totally incomprehensible, and we can never "calculate" why we do the things we do. (In short: She totally is becoming human)

Then she comes to an answer. The purpose of life is to be in contact with others. To not be alone. This troubles her, because as a machine, she thinks that she'll never have this. She tells you that you are important to her, she tells you that she loves you, but can never be with you. She is a machine. You are human. One day... You'll leave her. As she says this, you walk up to her, embrace her, and she runs away. This scene is sorrowful the 3rd time through... You know the bitter truth of what comes, and you know that she is right. (In short: She loves your ass!)

You talk to her, and she tells you that she has thought it through. She invites you to her room, and tells you that that she can promise one thing, that she will never leave you. You take her hand as she asks you to burn the memory of yourself to her Papillion Heart (Super delicate componet contain everything that makes her unique). The scene fades to black. (In Short: You are part of her heart.)

Then the end comes. You know it's coming. You sacrifice yourself to protect the human race from itself, then drag your tired body to the roof with Aigis as your soul slips away. You fulfill your final promise, and say goodbye to Aigis, who sheds a tear. Credits roll. (In short: This scene will have you bawling like a little baby!)

This relationship is tragically beautiful. You play an integral part making an obedient weapon become a loving human before your eyes. You make the ultimate sacrifice and leave your imprint on this girl's heart (Literally!). She lost you, but she'll never forget you. (In short: Aigis is awesome.)

Damn, this drags a bit. I should sleep...

Figured I should put a picture in here... Oh yeah, D'awwwwwwww!
Figured I should put a picture in here... Oh yeah, D'awwwwwwww!
YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I'll grant you that reading through that, I feel like it's a better storyline than I initially gave it credit for, but that's about as far as I'd go. For one, and I may be completely wrong on this, but I feel like the "machine learning to be human" is not even close to a unique storyline(again, just a feeling, I honestly can't really think of other examples. Maybe I just think it's kind of a dumb one). I find it difficult to get invested in a storyline when I don't care about one or both of the characters involved. I care about the MC because I always get attached to player avatars, but I never cared much for Aigis. Part of it probably has to do with her voice acting, but I always found her kind of boring. Though, I played through the original Persona 3, maybe she's made a lot better by having a social link.

And thinking about it(and some of this is coming from P4A), if I want a character in the Persona games who doesn't understand what it's like to be human but is obsessed with the concept, give me Elizabeth. In fact, she has very similar motivations to Aigis, but is a little late to the party so she's looking for a way to get MC back(and being awesome doing it).

I'm not sure, but I think you might be the one I called out in the Rise thread when I said that Mitsuru and Aigis are boring. I'm not trying to just rain all over your Aigis parade, A lot of people seem to like her and that's fine, just making conversation.

Oh, and yeah, that very last scene is heartbreaking.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'll grant you that reading through that, I feel like it's a better storyline than I initially gave it credit for, but that's about as far as I'd go. For one, and I may be completely wrong on this, but I feel like the "machine learning to be human" is not even close to a unique storyline(again, just a feeling, I honestly can't really think of other examples. Maybe I just think it's kind of a dumb one). I find it difficult to get invested in a storyline when I don't care about one or both of the characters involved. I care about the MC because I always get attached to player avatars, but I never cared much for Aigis. Part of it probably has to do with her voice acting, but I always found her kind of boring. Though, I played through the original Persona 3, maybe she's made a lot better by having a social link.

And thinking about it(and some of this is coming from P4A), if I want a character in the Persona games who doesn't understand what it's like to be human but is obsessed with the concept, give me Elizabeth. In fact, she has very similar motivations to Aigis, but is a little late to the party so she's looking for a way to get MC back(and being awesome doing it).

I'm not sure, but I think you might be the one I called out in the Rise thread when I said that Mitsuru and Aigis are boring. I'm not trying to just rain all over your Aigis parade, A lot of people seem to like her and that's fine, just making conversation.

Oh, and yeah, that very last scene is heartbreaking.

There was a movie in the early 2000's called AI Artificial Intelligence that had a similar plot, about an android that looked like a child and wanted to be human. It was... odd. I haven't seen it in ages, I don't even remember much about it. Aliens (or super evolved humans) show up at the end and resurrect the kid android's adopted mother. Anyway, my point is, "machine learning to be human" has been done before.

I would say that it's done fairly well in Persona 3 FES, too, though I would imagine that not having a social link for her makes the relationship between the MC and Aigis dull, or more headscratch-y. Man, I really hope that Persona 5 doesn't have an updated re-release with new social links that make the story clearer. Atlus did this with Nocturne, they did it with Persona 3, to some extent with 4...

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I like Elizabeth more..........even though she's like 20 years older than him and not even human (though Aigis isn't either I guess :P)

That scene where you, uh......do stuff with Aigis was hilarious and kinda sweet, though. Sucks that her SL isn't even in normal-ass P3. I imagine the ending being kinda weird without it. Like, the one girl in the game you can't " romance " is the one you spend the ending with? Wut?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Team Yukari here

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Team Yukari here

I'll fight you. Team Aigis for life.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I like Elizabeth more..........even though she's like 20 years older than him and not even human (though Aigis isn't either I guess :P)

That scene where you, uh......do stuff with Aigis was hilarious and kinda sweet, though. Sucks that her SL isn't even in normal-ass P3. I imagine the ending being kinda weird without it. Like, the one girl in the game you can't " romance " is the one you spend the ending with? Wut?

I didn't find it weird at all. That final scene wasn't about spending your final moments with the one you cared about most. It was just you waiting for your friends after having saved the world. Understandably, you needed some rest. Aigis could stay with you because she's a robot without any other obligations(and possibly understood through robot powers that you were "dying). I don't think I would feel more strongly about that scene from having a social link with Aigis, since the biggest impact came from everyone showing up just a moment too late.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I could never take Aegis seriously after you have sex with her by touching her CPU

also, they did the robot becomes human story much better in P4A with Labrys.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I never played the Journey portion of FES, and so I never saw Aigis's Social Link, but even without it, her arc in vanilla Persona 3 is an interesting one in the way that she grows emotionally over the course of the game. I also appreciate that they were able to keep her arc going as the protagonist of The Answer. It's just a shame that most everything else about The Answer is so painfully, poorly done.

Either way, Mitsuru "Wat iz hamburger?" Kirijo for life.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

...I liked Fuuka

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

I could never take Aegis seriously after you have sex with her by touching her CPU

also, they did the robot becomes human story much better in P4A with Labrys.

Firstly, I feel that if you look at that scene as sex, it would be impossible to take the character seriously.

Secondly, I agree with you on Labrys, but then I don't. I feel that Labrys was somewhat rushed, only having a fighting game storyline to develop. I'll agree that her development of a conciseness was more interesting, but I wanted to know more about it. In Persona 3, your faced with saving the world, and you face that with Aigis by your side. I felt that it gave it a lot more emotional weight to the development of the character that Labrys just didn't get.

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yi_orange: The social link in FES is a big part of why I love the character so much. Without it, I looked at the last scene as a painfully depressing stinger. In my original run, I didn't pay much attention to Aigis at all and missing out on a final goodbye with all of the other characters was rough.

The social link provided a more bitter-sweet feeling to the ending, and helped me really care about a character that I didn't my first time through.

Also, yeah. This is the second time my Aigis parade has been rained on by you! Thanks for reading :)

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

aigis mai number one waifu.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I don't really see Aigis as a love interest. It's obvious that she does love the main character, but I wouldn't call it romantic necessarily.

(Also Team Yukari 4 lyfe)

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are all saying someone other than Mitsuru. Therefore you are all wrong.

BambamCZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bocam

Bitchy Answer Yukari 4 Life

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

...I liked Fuuka

I knew there had to be one person.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By mpgeist
No Caption Provided

Bad idea Homie! (Also Mitsuru is da bess, but none of them compare to Chie and Naoto)

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BradBrains

It's all about mitsuru. She seems like she would help you keep challenging yourself ya know ?

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By DeadpanCakes

@viciousbearmauling: Hey, don't worry about me, Fuuka's not even a contender in this one. And I doubt anyone else is eager to defend her, haha.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling: Hey, don't worry about me, Fuuka's not even a contender in this one. And I doubt anyone else is eager to defend her, haha.

Nothing wrong with a little Fuuka action, she is a great cook and sure cute! But there is no denying that Mitsuru is best girl and the ultimate waifu.

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vocalcannibal

Y'all are weak. Yuko was the best option in P3.

(But Aigis was even better in P3P with the Female MC.)

(The entire game was better with the Female MC.)

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@voxus said:

@vocalcannibal: Take that back!!!!!!!

You have to admit that the S. Links with Female MC are a bit better

I'll disagree with the Aigis relationship and the ENTIRE game being better with her though (Specifically the dialogue options)

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling: Playing the game without Akihiko, Shinjiro, Junpei, and Ken effectively being cardboard cutouts with voices seriously enhanced my own experience.

Don't get me wrong, the Male MC being kind of a dick in the story dialog was fantastic, but that doesn't quite hit the standard that the improved and expanded social links did for me.

Plus it was always my lifelong dream to be a genki girl that can summon Lucifer, yo. It hits close to home.

TakayaIsTrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TakayaIsTrash

@yi_orange: I know this is a very old thread but still, I would like to state that the fact that aigis' english va sucks is one of the reasons to play persona 3 fes with japanese va. Aigis' japanese voice makes her sound like an actual living human being, instead of being all mechanical and monotone. Really makes you care about her growth as a character.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yi_orange: I know this is a very old thread but still, I would like to state that the fact that aigis' english va sucks is one of the reasons to play persona 3 fes with japanese va. Aigis' japanese voice makes her sound like an actual living human being, instead of being all mechanical and monotone. Really makes you care about her growth as a character.

Her being mechanical and monotone at first and then transitioning into a more natural voice is part of the character. Besides, her voice actress doesn't suck at all. She's very prolific. She also voices Nanako.

Also, it's literally impossible to judge voice acting from a language you don't understand. If you are in fact fluent in Japanese, then disregard what I just said