Why cant game developers get ARABIC right ?

• 74 results
Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Insectecutor
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

"personally i despise my language and culture"

if you mean "care out of respect", ofcourse they shouldnt give a fuck.   

Your lack of self esteem and respect for your own culture disturbs me. I'm not an Arab, but dude you don't need to slam on your own culture for us to respect your point.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By KaosAngel

I speak Arabic, and it really doesn't bother me.   

I play most my games in English or Japanese, and I heard enough arabic in my life time. 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By trophyhunter

who cares

Trejik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Trejik

Ubisoft is effin' awesome with this. The Italian in AC2 was more than decent, and it's the entire games worth. Not to mention that their Spanish is also really good.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@eroticfishcake:  so are you chinese or have u learned the language ? 

@Insectecutor said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

"personally i despise my language and culture"

if you mean "care out of respect", ofcourse they shouldnt give a fuck.   

Your lack of self esteem and respect for your own culture disturbs me. I'm not an Arab, but dude you don't need to slam on your own culture for us to respect your point. "
im not slamming on my own culture for you to respect my point. im doing it for you to know that this thread is non-patriotic. not that you wouldnt respect it if it were, but it isnt and u should think it is when if it isnt :P

also, why does it disturb you? (I dont see what self-esteem has to do with this, i have enough self-esteem). i do hate my race and culture though and i have my reasons that i dont wish to discuss cuz it's gonna be considered racism (not sure how it can be racist when its against my own race, but hey, people say thats possible)
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Ahmad_Metallic: I am Chinese! Or to be specific, ethnically a Hong Konger (which is different). But I grew up in Ireland so I am fluent enough in Chinese but not a perfect speaker.
ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57  Edited By ToadRunner

better question is who the fuck cares...

stupid forum trolls

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Hamst3r

You think you've got it bad...you should hear what they do to American.

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By Rehehelly

I can't understand it.

I don't care if the letters aren't connected. When I was playing MW2 it really wouldn't of bothered me if they were all saying "durka allah muhammed jihad, ah durka durka durka". Probably make it a better experience, cos i'd crease up.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Meowshi
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @natetodamax said: 
" Is it incorrect when someone yells "GRENADAAAA!" in Call Of Duty? "
It's been a while since i played CoD, but arent the ones shouting "grenada" russian ? if they're arabs, then yes we dont call it a Grenada.. its called "qonbola" which you might've heard in Battlefield 2 

@Axxol said:
" Hahaha... I doubt they care if it's accurate. "
if you mean "care out of respect", ofcourse they shouldnt give a fuck. but they should care in a "we want our game to be as realistic and accurate as possible" way 

"
I get that you seem to have some sort of unhealthy hangup on your own culture or whatever, but really, everyone is deserving of respect.  This uncle tom-ery is annoying the hell out of me, honestly.
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By MarkWahlberg

That's weird, you'd think it wouldn't be all that hard to find someone who can tell you how to speak/write a language, and not even to learn, just to translate it. Huh. I can't say I'm surprised, but it does seem like an easy thing to take care of during development.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Donos
@MarkWahlberg said:

" That's weird, you'd think it wouldn't be all that hard to find someone who can tell you how to speak/write a language, and not even to learn, just to translate it. Huh. I can't say I'm surprised, but it does seem like an easy thing to take care of during development. "

I don't have any first hand experience with Arabic, but from what I've heard/read it's supposed to be a much less mechanical language than most, with lots of subtleties in intonation and rhythm. Basically, not a language condusive to learning, except through experience. And from what I'm reading in this thread, the problem with Arabic as presented in games is that those subtleties are missing.

Basically, I don't think Arabic will be represented correctly in games unless you find native speakers/writers to handle it.
Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Spoonman671
@gabha said:
@Ahmed: It does rub me off the wrong way some times
There is no wrong way to be rubbed off.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#64  Edited By Meowayne

Hello.

Try being German.

Goodbye.

oysteinBrenne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By oysteinBrenne

dont you have a war to fight???  

oysteinBrenne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By oysteinBrenne
@Meowayne:    the germans and arabs is just as much hated so you cant talk!!!! 
sorry to burst your bubble :(
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#68  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Meowayne:  so you're saying German is done badly and inaccurately in games?
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#69  Edited By citizenkane
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Meowayne:  so you're saying German is done badly and inaccurately in games? "
Some of it is, same with Russian.  They aren't as butchered as Arabic and Persian, but still pretty bad in some games.
JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By JokerSmilez

It's a common rule in sound design for movies, games, etc. not to make something sound like what it actually sounds like but to make it sound like what most people believe it sounds like (which is only occasionally the same thing). 

That's why most helicopters sound like Huey's, why just about every silencer in a movie or game ever has a "peww" sound, etc.  

It's not important to get it right for the small percentage of people who would know, it's important to give the majority of the audience what they're expecting so it doesn't pull them out of the experience by seeming wrong (even if it's right). 

There are a million things movies and games get "wrong" but it's for the sake of visual and audio "flow", trying not to break the experience for the majority of the audience who don't know any better.

orangefrys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By orangefrys
@Ahmad_Metallic: is that robert downy jr?
Earthborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By Earthborn
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @ShaneDev said:
" If you despise your language and culture then why do you care if the language is spelled properly or not. "
the video game industry aspires to be as realistic and accurate and perfect in every way and in all aspects, right ? 

@kermoosh said:
" i know its a proper arabic, many people who speak arabic have different dialects, so even if you know arabic, you might not understand the proper arabic or whatever "
thats a good point, but incorrect arabic is incorrect. 

@HandsomeDead said:
" Do Arabs even play video games? "
just...... just Fifa 10..... and some Vice City .....     *cries* "
"

While your concern is valid, the reason entertainment works in any medium is because we can understand the characters are meant to represent the nationalities they are without actually being that nationality. Parody changes the relationship between what is depicted and the message of that depiction. So, no, entertainment does not need to be accurate and where did you get this idea that the video game industry "Aspires to be as realistic and accurate and perfect in every way and in all aspects"? There instances when I wish a company had chosen a better actor to portray a specific nationality (or at least got someone of that nationality).  I find it irritating when Americans do bad british accents, for example, or when foreigners do bad American. Gerard Butler does a poor job in "Law Abiding Citizen." Chow Yun-Fat did a poor Cantonese accent in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (He's from Hong Kong). If you're concened, write to the game developers. Dialects are difficult to do correctly in entertainment, and, as Jimbo said, close enough is often good enough.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#73  Edited By citizenkane
@JokerSmilez said:
 why just about every silencer in a movie or game ever has a "peww" sound
Well that's pretty much because a silencer has no sound.  They make a sound for it in movies and especially games to make the audience aware something is happening.  Same with night vision goggles in games.  Real night vision goggles don't emit any light(it defeats one of its purposes).  In games, of course, that could be a problem because it can cause you to lose sight of where you are, hampering gameplay. So, they just slap tiny green lights on the lens to give the gamer an area of attention.
JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By JokerSmilez
@CitizenKane said:
" @JokerSmilez said:
 why just about every silencer in a movie or game ever has a "peww" sound
Well that's pretty much because a silencer has no sound.  They make a sound for it in movies and especially games to make the audience aware something is happening.  Same with night vision goggles in games.  Real night vision goggles don't emit any light(it defeats one of its purposes).  In games, of course, that could be a problem because it can cause you to lose sight of where you are, hampering gameplay. So, they just slap tiny green lights on the lens to give the gamer an area of attention. "
Silencers (or I suppose more correctly, "suppressors") still make some sound. It basically sounds like a "snap" accompanied by a metallic "clinking" sound of the gun mechanism working. It's been described as similar to a loud stapler, but they're certainly not entirely silent, especially not so silent that the person holding the gun (as in a video game) wouldn't be aware they've even fired it.

The iconic "peww" sound was apparently invented by a sound designer for some movie or another who was constructing a sound for a silenced pistol and had no idea what an actual silenced pistol sounded like, so he made something up. From the on, it became similar to the Coconut Effect, which is how for a long time they used coconuts to make the sound of horse hoofs during old movies or radio plays, so much so that when it became possible to use a more realistic sound, they continued to use coconuts, because that's what the audience thought horse hoofs sounded like. Eventually enough people will become knowledgeable on the subject and movies will begin to use the actual sound, and maybe we'll see a change - or maybe it'll be like most gunfire in movies and games where every gun, regardless of caliber or muzzle speed, sounds huge and impressive.  

In general, the majority of the sound effects you hear in movies are added after the fact with either sound design or foley work. Most of the "from the set" audio is just dialog and even then they re-record about 25% of it with ADR (Automated Dialog Replacement). You'd be surprised how often the sounds of things in movies, in particular things they want to sound "big", are constructed from many pieces of other sounds, for example the sound of Arnold's shotgun in Terminator 2 was constructed from the sound of I think 6 different guns, including a cannon. 

This point was made abundantly clear to me in a sound design class I took as part of a recorded audio production degree. We had to recreate all the sound for a scene from The Day After Tomorrow, the scene where the Royal Family's helicopter crashes in the mountains. We were given the specific limitation of not being allowed to the use the sound of an actual helicopter for the sound of the helicopter in the movie. Mine was created using the sound of a jet engine starting up in reverse, combined with the sound of a high speed train, and using the sound of a machine gun (again, in reverse) to trigger a gate which chopped up the sound. It was amazing how much it sounded like what I imagined a badass helicopter to sound like.