Why did the PS3 hacks get the most crap?

• 61 results
DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By DarthOrange

Just out of curiosity what exactly was it that caused the PS3 hack to get the most shit? Was it because they took a "long time" to tell people that maybe information got out? It only took a few days. Steam took a few months to let people know that some information got out.

No Caption Provided

Or was it because they decide to shut down the PSN until they figured out what the problem was and figure out how how fix it before more people got shit taken instead of looking for a solution while people are still going through the hassle of having credit cards charged like with Microsoft?

Or was it because it happened to Sony first and then when it happened to everyone else people were just over it? (Also I fully realize my username is blue and maybe I am a little bias but I assure you I do game on everything.)

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Draugen

I think it's like you said, because it happened to them first. We're used to it now. :P

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Anund

I'd say the reason is twofold: People couldn't access the online component of their games for a month and also, it's just kind of cool to hate on the PS3. Specially here since the whole site is pretty pro-360, editors and visitors alike.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By l4wd0g

Because they didn't tell us right away.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By mordukai

@l4wd0g said:

Because they didn't tell us right away.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By N7

You forgot to add "even though no information was leaked".

They weren't really hacked. I mean, yes and no. Someone hacked their way into their database, Sony saw that and then shut down the whole Network. They launched an investigation, FBI came in and nothing was heard since. I'd like to believe if a billion jillion people's private information was leaked onto the internet, we would have heard something like "YO these guys are FUCKED don't trust these fuckers. FUCK" from them.

It kind of happened to everyone after that though. Square Enix, I'm preeeeeetty sure Bethesda, Microsoft and then a bunch other indie sites were all hacked. If the "digital future" is going to be a thing, these guys really need to put some trust back into the use of credit cards.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Djratchet

Sony definitely fucked up, but they admitted it, even if it took a bit too long, unlike Microsoft, which refuses to admit anything is wrong while people are having their accounts gathered to buy FIFA shit.

Also, Sony gave away free stuff to say they were sorry. That was kinda cool. Was any info leaked from the Steam hack? I don't think there was? I don't read up on these things too much.

In short, people hate on Sony because it is cool to hate on Sony. My blue name may indicate "teh bias", but whatever. The month of downtime definitely sucked ass though, and Sony deserved every bit of flak it got for it.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By l4wd0g

@Djratchet said:

Sony definitely fucked up, but they admitted it, unlike Microsoft, which refuses to admit anything is wrong while people are having their accounts gathered to buy FIFA shit.

Dude, what happened to Microsoft was a phishing scheme. Not a hack.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Djratchet

@l4wd0g said:

@Djratchet said:

Sony definitely fucked up, but they admitted it, unlike Microsoft, which refuses to admit anything is wrong while people are having their accounts gathered to buy FIFA shit.

Is it? I thought it was a problem with people being able to exploit the Live Messenger side of things to access XBL accounts or something? I have read stories of people that do everything in the net security book right (use a unique password, guard personal info, etc, etc) and still had their accounts compromised.

I should probably say, I glance over news articles about this stuff, but I don't claim to be an expert on the XBL shenanigans going on, so I am happy to learn more about it.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Phatmac

Mostly due to a lack of info and a big company like Sony being taken down by hackers for over a month. Also it was bigger than gaming sites, it was a big news story on TV. Sony is a big brand across the world, for them to be compromised for a long time was brutal. Most people that don't play games probably don't know what Steam is so it isn't that big to the general public.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Djratchet: Whenever someone is hacked they ALWAYS claim to have done nothing wrong, etc, etc.

Microsoft's only flaw was that they made it a little too easy for people to reset their passwords over the phone. They've increased security measures, there's not really much else you can expect them to do. Like was said, it was simply people falling for pishing schemes, not an actual hack.

I also don't think it's because "its cool to hate Sony". They deserved every bit of flak they got, it has nothing to do with fanboys or bias. None of these other hacks have been anywhere near as severe, and everyone else has been quick to admit the problems. It's also pretty old hat at this point.. when it happened with Sony, no one expected it and it seemed far more serious at the time, even if it turned out nothing was really compromised.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Djratchet

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Djratchet: Whenever someone is hacked they ALWAYS claim to have done nothing wrong, etc, etc.

Microsoft's only flaw was that they made it a little too easy for people to reset their passwords over the phone. They've increased security measures, there's not really much else you can expect them to do. Like was said, it was simply people falling for pishing schemes, not an actual hack.

I also don't think it's because "its cool to hate Sony". They deserved every bit of flak they got, it has nothing to do with fanboys or bias.

Shit happens, as everyone that got hacked afterwards could prove. Dropping the XBL side of things, because I am not going to argue about something I just plain don't know much about, because I can't say I know anyone personally that has been affected (fortunately), the only thing I see Sony being guilty of is being the first victim of these really weird attacks. Well, that and the month of downtime. Hackers are assholes, I think we can agree on that. Agreed that more transparency could have been used, but I think everything else was handled okay for the most part (again, with the exception of the month of downtime, that still sucked)

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fattony12000

Gabe sent a personal message to every single user of Steam. Within 24 hours of the incident. That goes a long way to ensure people stay in the loop, and overall feel more confident in the people trying to fix the issue.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By l4wd0g

@Djratchet said:

@l4wd0g said:

@Djratchet said:

Is it? I thought it was a problem with people being able to exploit the Live Messenger side of things to access XBL accounts or something? I have read stories of people that do everything in the net security book right (use a unique password, guard personal info, etc, etc) and still had their accounts compromised.

According to the Telegraph it was phishing. The complexity of phishing schemes is pretty complex. People give away a lot of their information on Facebook both directly and indirectly. DoB, first name, last name, hometown, and current city. Any other information can be collected by a "test your friends to see how well they know you" quiz which asks you popular security questions, and people inadvertently give them the answers. It's pretty devious. Kind of like the Blizzard.com emails.

@N7 said:

You forgot to add "even though no information was leaked". They weren't really hacked. I mean, yes and no. Someone hacked their way into their database, Sony saw that and then shut down the whole Network. They launched an investigation, FBI came in and nothing was heard since. I'd like to believe if a billion jillion people's private information was leaked onto the internet, we would have heard something like "YO these guys are FUCKED don't trust these fuckers. FUCK" from them. It kind of happened to everyone after that though. Square Enix, I'm preeeeeetty sure Bethesda, Microsoft and then a bunch other indie sites were all hacked. If the "digital future" is going to be a thing, these guys really need to put some trust back into the use of credit cards.

"Sony released its most detailed statement to date on the hack and confirmed that personal information was stolen. The information included names and addresses for registered PlayStation Network and Qriocity users, along with their birth dates, e-mail addresses and other personal information."While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility," Sony said. It advised customers to create credit card fraud alerts and keep a close eye on charges made to linked credit cards.It also said the PlayStation Network and Qriocity would be back online "within a week."" - via PC World

It may not be a big deal to you, but when your name and articles you've written end up on a Muhiyadeen website thanks to wikileaks it's pretty damn scary.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By FlarePhoenix

Because Steam has no direct competition, or at least nothing people hold in such regard. Most of the crap (at least from what I saw) PSN got was from 360 fanboys who were using it as confirmation the 360 was obviously superior to the PS3.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By august

The information stolen from Steam was at least encrypted.

The information stolen from PSN was stored in the clear, which is in-fucking-sane.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Djratchet

@august said:

The information stolen from PSN was stored in the clear, which is in-fucking-sane.

I am still confused about this bit. I still hear conflicting things about if the PSN data was encrypted or not.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Grillbar

@Anund said:

I'd say the reason is twofold: People couldn't access the online component of their games for a month and also, it's just kind of cool to hate on the PS3. Specially here since the whole site is pretty pro-360, editors and visitors alike.

this

like i said back then apparently no Xbox users remember back when it got hacked and was shut down for 2 or 3 weeks and that was properly a year before it happened to PS3 if not a little more.

actually Xbox got hacked seriously twice almost forgot about the Fifa and account banning without reason cuz of that. maybe the PS3 just got more attention in the media and mainstream. i don't know.

this might seem like hate on Xbox or just its fan-boys it really was not suppose to

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Azteck

It's hilarious to see people say that the only people who gave Sony flack for messing up so badly with the hacking incident were Xbox users.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Slaker117

I'd say it's because PSN went down, and stayed down for a long time. It was immediately clear to anyone who tried to play online that something was wrong, regardless of how much attention they paid to gaming news. The things that are going on with Microsoft is quiet because it happens to individuals. It sucks for the target, but it has no effect on anyone else using the service. It may suggest that Xbox Live as a whole is compromised, but that's not visible to the majority of users.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RIDEBIRD

It's simple - the PSN hack was a PR disaster, wrecked beyond belief by archaic Japanese business culture. They didn't tell everyone til after a week or so. They didn't say what leaked until it was too late. They stored everyone's info in the clear and tons of credit card numbers got leaked.

Steam shut down the affected service - the forums - in a matter of very few hours, if even that. They then investigated for 2-3 days while that database/service was shut down, and then said what had happened. They immediately started an investigation and kept everyone updated for a few weeks with a message to every Steam user, and said what was going on. That + they have Steam Guard, which makes stolen accounts pointless anyway, and the standard Steam service in fact wasn't hacked - only the forums. They have since then updated every couple of months with updates on what they found out.

Sony got a lot of shit because they leaked (seriously, storing them in the clear is asking for it, and the database security was apparently laughable) people's credit cards to hackers, except they didn't say it was that bad for over a week, maybe even two weeks? Don't really remember. Regarding XBL, isn't mainly about bans and stuff? Have no idea really.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By N7
@l4wd0g: I meant credit card information. Whereas Microsoft users are having money stolen right now, all of the talk behind the Sony hack was all "Zomg hackers got my credit card!" "Whoa, if that's true you have a legitimate case here!" and you never hear from them again.

Also impossible since the credit card information wasn't leaked. If it was, everyone would have seen charges, not just random people who forgot what day the Netflix bill was due.
Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jack268

Because the communication from Sony about the issue was nearly non-existant. People still have no idea if the stuff was stored in plain text or not.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Dagbiker

They whernt saying anything so I didnt know whether to get a new debit card or not. then they finaly say "oh yah, a week ago we where hacked, so there's that." and instantly im pissed. because they could have said this a week ago, and saved me some time.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Didn't PSN also go down for a month or something? And Sony didn't tell anyone for about a week until after it had happened?

The main issue here is that; it's hard to hate Valve. They make fantastic games, and they support all kinds of great events and sales. As a result I think Valve has built up enough goodwill to be forgiven for this - they have done right by me in the past, so I'm willing to cut them some slack. I was told immediately (By Gabe himself, no less) and there was no point where I couldn't access my steam library. By contrast, Sony overprice the fuck out of everything and PSN goes down all the time. I love my PS3, but they don't deserve any sympathy and people were fully justified in being pissed.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Azteck
@N7 said:
@l4wd0g: I meant credit card information. Whereas Microsoft users are having money stolen right now, all of the talk behind the Sony hack was all "Zomg hackers got my credit card!" "Whoa, if that's true you have a legitimate case here!" and you never hear from them again.  Also impossible since the credit card information wasn't leaked. If it was, everyone would have seen charges, not just random people who forgot what day the Netflix bill was due.
The thing you are overlooking though is that XBL hasn't been hacked. It's a phishing scam which Microsoft only can do so much about, whereas Sony did very little to protect it's customers.
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By spazmaster666

@Djratchet said:

I am still confused about this bit. I still hear conflicting things about if the PSN data was encrypted or not.

As far as I know, while the credit card info was encrypted, the user info (i.e. names, passwords, birthdate etc.) was not.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By viking_funeral

Because the PSN went down, and millions of people couldn't play Call of Duty for a month.

Okay, that may seem reductionary, but I work with a lot of PS3 CoD players, and most would not stop complaining about not being able to play online. People I knew with only PS3s that play offline rarely mentioned it, except to say that it was "kind of a bummer" (translated from French).

The Steam hacks didn't stop anyone from playing their games. The 360 thing is incredibly small. Really bad for the people who fell for the phishing scams, but not going to affect a large group of people who then spend a month complaining about it.

I see a lot of people trying to blame this on other consoles, which is insane, and just brings up those stupid console war arguments all over again. This isn't politics. It's not even sports. It's freaking gaming.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By zeforgotten

Because hating on Sony was the cool thing to do.  
Wonder who it's popular to hate at this hour though, or who we're going to hate in 15 minutes

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Marz

Yeah PSN was down for like a few weeks? that has much more impact on people than, forums being down for a few days like it was for Steam.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By N7
@Azteck said:
@N7 said:
@l4wd0g: I meant credit card information. Whereas Microsoft users are having money stolen right now, all of the talk behind the Sony hack was all "Zomg hackers got my credit card!" "Whoa, if that's true you have a legitimate case here!" and you never hear from them again.  Also impossible since the credit card information wasn't leaked. If it was, everyone would have seen charges, not just random people who forgot what day the Netflix bill was due.
The thing you are overlooking though is that XBL hasn't been hacked. It's a phishing scam which Microsoft only can do so much about, whereas Sony did very little to protect it's customers.
I'm not overlooking that at all. People are being hacked and having money stolen.

Now that I think about it, how did we even get on this topic.

They are both very different occurrences.
ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ftomato

@spazmaster666 said:

@Djratchet said:

As far as I know, while the credit card info was encrypted, the user info (i.e. names, passwords, birthdate etc.) was not.

IIRC Sony went on record saying the passwords were encrypted as well.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Branthog

Primarily, it's the response. Someone eventually said, at some point, that some stuff might have happened. And then blamed Anonymous, because they're easy to blame for anything, even if it turns out to be some shady ex-employee or something.

Gabe Newell personally conveyed what they knew as soon as they seemed to know it to everyone and then has followed up, now that they know more.

It's one thing to suffer a breach. It's another to not be responsive to your users and, when you finally are, to be entirely fucking vague.

"Specially here since the whole site is pretty pro-360, editors and visitors alike."

That seems like a pretty ignorant statement. The site is about as "pro-360" as in proportion to the general population. What, it's mostly pro-360, because most quick looks and reviews are done on the 360? (Which is because that's the version that publishers usually send to reviewers). Or is there a more specific reason for stating this?

I own all the platforms and am a software developer and the problem I had with Sony, other than the clear lack of security, was the abysmal response to their customers. Shit went bad and they all went into hiding. Steam stepped up and said what they knew as they knew it. Even if some of it took many months for them to discover - that they were even still continuing to investigate is impressive.

As for FIFA on XBox - let's remember that it's largely a user problem, bolstered by some shitty behavior on MIcrosoft's part. Calling it "hacking" or "cracking" is bullshit. Either people have poor passwords, are suckered by phishing attempts, or Microsoft's own customer support is giving out/resetting account information as the result of social engineering attempts. Only in the third situation there is it actually Microsoft's direct fault. What is abysmal in that case is that once an account is compromised (even if it's because a user does something stupid like choose a simple password or get suckered into some phishing attempt), FIFA and Microsoft both seem to be dismissive of the transactions/point-laundering that occurs after it. Their lack of response/acknowledgement/handling of those fraudulent transactions is of the same "if we don't say anything, maybe nobody will notice" nature as Sony's, prior.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Azteck
@N7 said:
@Azteck said:
@N7 said:
I'm not overlooking that at all. People are being hacked and having money stolen.  Now that I think about it, how did we even get on this topic.  They are both very different occurrences.
Did you even read what I wrote? It's not hacking, nor has it ever been. As @Branthog said:
Calling it "hacking" or "cracking" is bullshit. Either people have poor passwords, are suckered by phishing attempts, or Microsoft's own customer support is giving out/resetting account information as the result of social engineering attempts.
Nothing on what is happening to xbox users is because of someone hacking into their database. It's awful, yes, and Microsoft should take more measures against it but to say that it's on par with how Sony handled it is entirely wrong. In the end, as others have pointed out, it's all about response and what made Sony fall short was that they to begin with didn't acknowledge it to the public, and when they did they gave no news as for how their investigation was going. On top of that, their online network was down for over a month. This isn't to say that Microsoft are saints or anything, the fact that they haven't issued any real response to the FIFA thing is sad, but as was said, it is largely because of the users naivety.
kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kindgineer

Because the reaction to PSN going down was a huge and it didn't recover quickly. Both Steam and Microsoft continued their services so not really a large part of the masses were affected. I didn't even know about the whole FIFA thing until Jeff talked about it on Jar time anyway.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MikeGosot

Microsoft is getting crap. It is handling the situation pretty bad... The fact that the problem is largely because of users doesn't rule out the fact that Microsoft isn't handling the situation very well.
Also, in Sony's case it was a PR disaster, they went into hiding mode for a week and then shut down PSN. A bunch of people play online, and everysingle PSN user was affected by that decision.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DeF

@DarthOrange said:

and maybe I am a little bias but

biased ... past participle. it's just a verb turned adjective ...

the PS3 got shit because they shut down everything for weeks, making it seem worse. valve keeps the service running and the customer is not impacted in any way. had they left the PSN online, it wouldn't have been half as bad.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By mosdl

My XBox account got hacked on Suberbowl Sunday for Madden DLC through windows live - they managed to add an alternative email address to my live account and reset the password. So that is still going on.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By TheHBK

They didn't tell anyone right away, or go to outside help for it.

They decided the best thing to do with fuck up everything, shut it all down barring anyone from playing on the PSN.

They didn't admit fault until much later.

Their security was designed to be compromised since they had been told by people in the company it had to be upgraded but didn't do it.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By august
@mosdl said:

My XBox account got hacked on Suberbowl Sunday for Madden DLC through windows live - they managed to add an alternative email address to my live account and reset the password. So that is still going on.

When you say this my immediate thought is that you have malware or a keylogger on your machine.
IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By IAmNotBatman

Because people couldn't play online games for a month...

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mosdl

@august said:

@mosdl said:

When you say this my immediate thought is that you have malware or a keylogger on your machine.

I had the same thought but after running all the usual tools nothing was found. So its either a bug in windows live or some other site got hacked where I had the same username/password combo (which is a bad habit of mine).

But the fact that the hacker tried to add an alternative email points at that being the entry point - if he had my account details, why bother trying to add an alternative as that sends a message to my main email to get approval.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By musubi

If you have steam guard on even if someone has your username and password they can't get into your account without having your email password as well.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hatking

The stuff with Microsoft is only a percentage of the user base, while the PSN thing was literally everybody who had signed online with their PS3/PSP. That doesn't make what is going on with Microsoft any less disgusting.

To justify either of these is just stupid though. Sony is a massive company and from my understanding they did not have the proper security on their shit. That is inexcusable. Then to think about it for a few days before admitting what had happened. It's no wonder people were upset.

The Microsoft shit is ongoing and just gross. I try not to think about it every time I turn my 360 on. I just keep my fingers crossed that no FIFA games will show up on my recently played list.

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

@Djratchet said:

@august said:

I believe they said that the method used wasn't technically encryption, but it wasn't stored in plain text ether. They said it had some other method of masking the passwords.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RobertOrri

@l4wd0g said:

@Djratchet said:

The supposed "phishing" is just one angle to how insecure Microsoft's system is. They didn't want to admit or acknowledge how weak their security was.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/13/windows-live-login-suggested-as-xbox-live-security-flaw/

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/01/how-bad-is-microsofts-xbox-live-hacking-issue/

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/02/this-was-the-xbox-problem-here-is-the-solution/

TL;DR version:

• LIVE ID login used to offer 8 attempts before showing CAPTCHA prompts (which was also laughably easy to circumvent). Now allows 20 in total before locking you out for a short period of time.
  • Microsoft will take months to "process" your account, and they often fail to lock it down for further purchases, allowing the exploiters to bleed your credit card or PayPal account dry.
  • It has nothing to do with playing FIFA Ultimate Team, that game is simply what a lot of the compromised accounts end up being used for.
huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By huntad

Everyone just needs to cool down. We're coming closer and closer to a digital age where threats are going to become crazier and crazier. Of course this kind of stuff is going to happen. Internet security won't intensify unless the people designing them are forced to. In a sense, we need these kind of problems to evolve and adapt to changes in theft and hacking (whether it be social engineering or otherwise).

I'm not going to sit here and say that one case is worse than another, and I'm definitely not going to make excuses for either company. I've had horrible customer support from both sides in situations that could have really called for some assistance. I will say, though, that we should continue pressuring companies regarding public safety over networks, and not complaining/pointing fingers at which group is 'doing it better'. Each company will end up taking different approaches and eventually settling on security decisions on their own, while also learning from what their competitors are doing. Just keep up the pressure on them all as it needs to be.

If they make no effort to help you, and continually deny your reports, keep hounding them until you're heard. It's, sadly, the only way.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@august said:

This is another great example: people still don't know what the fuck happened.

Only non-essential, non-threatening information was unencrypted on Sony's side of things. There's a reason the information you wouldn't want getting out never got out. It's easy to get someone name and address and email. But none of the significant stuff like credit card information was acquired.

People just assumed they knew everything about the situation because some angry nerd sounded off before actually figuring it out themselves.

@Anund said:

This, and because people are retarded. There was no reason to freak out as much as people did, but between the mass media getting it out there (my grandmother new the Sony thing was going on, for god's sake). It was the first major thing like that at least in a good long time. People reacted disproportionately and with far more hate and bullshit than the situation warranted.

Plus, you can't really keep "My console won't go only for like a month" quiet very easily.

@Grillbar said:

@Anund said:

this

like i said back then apparently no Xbox users remember back when it got hacked and was shut down for 2 or 3 weeks and that was properly a year before it happened to PS3 if not a little more.

actually Xbox got hacked seriously twice almost forgot about the Fifa and account banning without reason cuz of that. maybe the PS3 just got more attention in the media and mainstream. i don't know.

this might seem like hate on Xbox or just its fan-boys it really was not suppose to

Hacked? I don't remember it going down for being hacked, at all. There were about 2 weeks of spottiness with lots of errors and connections issues, but it was planned maintenance, which didn't stop people from getting on the service completely. Anyone who says that Xbox Live as we know it today was hacked and put down for 2 or three weeks is, as far as I know, either misinformed or full of shit.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Branthog

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@august said:

This is another great example: people still don't know what the fuck happened.

Only non-essential, non-threatening information was unencrypted on Sony's side of things. There's a reason the information you wouldn't want getting out never got out. It's easy to get someone name and address and email. But none of the significant stuff like credit card information was acquired.

People just assumed they knew everything about the situation because some angry nerd sounded off before actually figuring it out themselves.

People didn't assume they knew everything about the situation. In fact, that was the entire problem. Sony clammed up and didn't release any information about anything, so people were left in the fucking dark. As far as we know, no credit card information or anything else was taken, but unlike Valve and Zappos and other sites, Sony didn't just directly come out and say "this is what we think happened, this is what we think was affected, and don't worry, because all of your data was salted and encrypted and should be pretty safe".

Sony was a great example in how the fuck not to respond to a situation. By . . . well, not responding to the situation.

Zappos, Lastpass, Valve, and other services that have been breached since then have come out with very clear statements as to what happened, what they're doing, what data may have been compromised, and how the data was protected. Lastpass did an especially commendable job with this.

A few people probably still would have lost their shit over the length of the outage, but they at least would have relieved themselves of the criticism and concern of consumers and media alike where security and personal information was concerned. And, really, why wouldn't you be concerned about your private and financial information? What are you going to do -- wait six months for Sony to finally say "oh, our bad, dawg! your shit was totally stolen! Sorry we didn't say something earlier!" and then call your bank?

What's crazy is how frequently this is starting to happen. Especially in the last year. I get an email from a service or website that has been compromised almost every week, now.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ExplodeMode

Everything went down for 40 days or whatever it was.  No one could play online and even developers were having trouble with their schedules.  And at the time people were canceling cards and thinking that they were going to be cleaned out.  The only one since then to really get people talking is the MS one, because it actually ends up robbing you, but between those two a ton of stuff got hacked and no one cared, because it was a quick password change and then it was over.