Why do I keep wanting to buy PC games I already have on console?

ElNeebre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ElNeebre

So there's a lot of games I've bought on Steam through sales like Arkham Asylum/City (City was free with my video card) and even launch games like Dishonored, and I haven't played any of them for more than an hour or two.

I do have a pretty good PC, but for some reason I just keep thinking I'll put more effort into them if I had them on 360/PS3, it's a bit weird.

Anybody else have this? I'm actually sitting with all the games in my basket, ready to rebuy.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Fearbeard

Well recently I bought Hitman on PC but then I was at a redbox and saw it for rent on xbox 360 so I ended up renting it and finishing it on console. Same thing with Far Cry 3, except it was mainly to see how the console version plays (not well) and I have no intention of finishing it on console

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

Set up your PC with big picture mode and the problem is mostly solved? Unless your friends are playing elsewhere I don't see a reason not to play those games.

I have this same problem, and it's usually caused by the internet.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

Because you want to see how much prettier they are on PC. I did the same thing when I switched to PC, I enjoyed replaying games (most of the time not all the way through) I played on console to experience the better visuals and higher framerate. It's only games that I haven't played before that I'll play through all the way.

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By hanktherapper

I'm the same way. I buy games on Steam and if I play them it's only for an hour or two and never go back. Rather sit on my couch than my office chair.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TorMasturba

Easy solution: Get rid of your consoles or only buy console exclusives and play everything else on the PC.

kunoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kunoh

I've bought numerous games on PC that I already own on console. My main reason for buying them is PC versions tend to be a lot better (especially graphically) than the console ones, and they have a lot better support in terms of user-made-content (Skyrim for instance). I'm a lot better about this now - I usually check if a new console game has a PC version before I buy it.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Snail

I've been considering buying Mirror's Edge and Assassin's Creed for PC, two games I've already played through on the PS3, because they look better on the PC and are pretty damn cheap, and I miss those games (especially playing through Assassin's Creed, since I replayed Mirror's Edge like, earlier this year).

So, no, I don't have your problem. For the most part, I'd much rather play games on the PC these days.

Maybe it's because of achievements/trophies?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

You'll get no explanation from me, I'm trying to figure that out myself. I guess there's something to just having it all in one place on steam I guess. And it gives you another reason to play through them again.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

I've done the same thing. However, I'm going to be devoting far less time to consoles since most of the games can be bought on PC (and generally run better). The only reason I'll bother with console is for exclusives like Forza Horizon.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Seppli

@ElNeebre said:

So there's a lot of games I've bought on Steam through sales like Arkham Asylum/City (City was free with my video card) and even launch games like Dishonored, and I haven't played any of them for more than an hour or two.

I do have a pretty good PC, but for some reason I just keep thinking I'll put more effort into them if I had them on 360/PS3, it's a bit weird.

Anybody else have this? I'm actually sitting with all the games in my basket, ready to rebuy.

Since there's a de-facto standard gamepad for PC (the 360 gamepad), that's almost 100% supported by all games on PC (at least console ports), gaming on PC feels like gaming on consoles for the most parts. Especially with cohesive online platforms like Steam and Origin on the rise. Steam especially already feels like a proper gaming platform. Achievements. Social groups. Forums. Everything.

Since about 2010, my gaming habit has shifted from console-centric to pc-centric, because the pc does everything cosoles do - only better. At least until the next generation of consoles will wet my appetite for gaming in a closed online environment with standardized hardware - which has its upsides. Generally less technical problems, and way less cheaters.

Every now and then, you'll just pick a game that won't play well on your PC, and it's a bummer everytime. Most recently for me, NfS : Most Wanted - that game is gamebreakingly unstable on my PC (it has become so over time, apparently filling up my autolog has something to do with it), and I'm still waiting for a patch to fix it (it's coming).

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Strife777

Because it's so easy to get them on PC. Steam is like some sort of spellcasting video game provider. You just buy games.... cause.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MiniPato

For the convenience.

One of the reasons I don't replay a lot of old games on my PS3 is because I'm just too lazy to switch to the HDMI signal and bend down to attach the audio cable to my PS3 everytime I want to play it and then reconnect it to my PC when I want to use my PC. Plus my monitor is pretty dumb and stops displaying my PS3 if I switch between HDMI and digital too much. So right now it's not picking up my PS3 and I have to do some voodoo shit to get it working again.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Justin258

I do the same thing, for the better framerates, better graphics, and better resolutions. I can go back to console games, and indeed have several times, but if I can pick up one of my favorite console games for five bucks and have a better version of it, then I will do that.

ElNeebre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ElNeebre

Think my problem has something to do with me forcing myself to play through my games that I've owned for months and never touched

I just need to get back to my 'play what I want, when I want' motif

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I do get into that mood sometimes that I'l purchase a PC version of a game I already own and beaten on console. It's also because I'm a sucker for Steam's huge sales and I'm really hoping they do one for end of year 2012.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#17  Edited By Dimsey

I've been doing that a fair bit lately, though mostly because I've only recently got a PC capable of actually running those games.

I still MAINLY purchase my games on the console, because I'm a sucker for achievements and I know more people who play on console.

But if I see a game I already bought on console for sale on Steam I'll have no qualms about revisiting it on the PC.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

it's because you like the PC better. i play my pc and console about the same.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By glots

@Colourful_Hippie said:

Because you want to see how much prettier they are on PC. I did the same thing when I switched to PC, I enjoyed replaying games (most of the time not all the way through) I played on console to experience the better visuals and higher framerate. It's only games that I haven't played before that I'll play through all the way.

This in my case, at least. I loved Dead Space 2 on PS3 and thought that version already looked pretty awsome, but always wondered just how much more awesome it could look. I've been very tempted to buy the pc-version from, maybe 5-7 different sales, by now, but something like common sense (and not-so-great laptop) has kept me from doing it. But now that I'm expecting my new PC to arrive next week, I'll probably have to buy it from the inevitable Steam Christmas Sale.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By haggis

Steam is like crack. I'm not sure I understand why, exactly, but I often have the same temptation even though my current PC sucks (it's still better than my Xbox, though). I usually resist the urge to rebuy.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zeforgotten

I do the same thing, especially when stuff is on sale. 
No idea why, maybe I just like using money, I don't know. 

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By shirogane

I thought you meant the other way around. I'm always tempted to buy a game i already have on consoles during Steam sales cause theyr'e just so cheap. I've had to resist buying Saints Row 3 like 10 times.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By RIDEBIRD

It sounds like you enjoy playing in a console way (couch, controller) but want the hotter grafixx and 60 FPS. You should spend some cash on setting up a good solution to play PC games on your TV. Then you can play all multi platform games there and still play the console exclusives.

I don't own a console, but if I did, that's how I'd roll. No point in having a game on two systems imo.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By niamahai

.... I am not alone in this world...