• 97 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for allworkandlowpay
#1 Posted by allworkandlowpay (928 posts) -

They seem to have invaded the internet, filled the youtubes, hell even some of my friends have started producing them ... and I just don't understand why.

I get Quick Looks, you watch a bit of a game in action to get a feel of what it's actually like. Makes sense.

I might even be able to understand watching a Let's Play if people doing it are generally funny or insightful, but I've yet to see a let's play video series that is. Almost everybody (if not, everybody) that makes these videos seem like drooling morons. The least offensive of them seem to occasionally mutter one or two nasally sentences in a ten minute video, but the worst of them seem to get off on their own voice, blabbing the most unfunny quips possible every second they can get.

What am I missing here? Somebody enlighten me.

Avatar image for euandewar
#2 Posted by EuanDewar (5160 posts) -

This was the only LP I've ever enjoyed because he hates every aspect of what he is doing and is very synced up with my own type of humor.

Avatar image for meowshi
#3 Posted by Meowshi (2917 posts) -

Because I find the people making them to be funny and/or insightful, as opposed to drooling morons?

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
#4 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2749 posts) -
Avatar image for brainspecialist
#5 Posted by BrainSpecialist (575 posts) -

Exactly the same reason people watch Quick Plays, or Last Saves. They either want to see what a game is like being played, or they think the person playing is funny.

Avatar image for allworkandlowpay
#6 Posted by allworkandlowpay (928 posts) -

@Meowshi: I've gone through a cursory examination of all the top rated ones on youtube. They all seem like driveling, nasally morons.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
#7 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5777 posts) -
@Meowshi said:

Because I find the people making them to be funny and/or insightful, as opposed to drooling morons?

Avatar image for allworkandlowpay
#8 Posted by allworkandlowpay (928 posts) -

@BrainSpecialist said:

Exactly the same reason people watch Quick Plays, or Last Saves. They either want to see what a game is like being played, or they think the person playing is funny.

I must just not be seeing the right ones, because I have not seen a single one where the person doesn't just sound like some idiot making one word quips or dumb sentences in stupid voices.

Avatar image for louiedog
#9 Posted by louiedog (2391 posts) -

Hell if I know. I don't have the endurance to watch someone run through an entire game. I'd rather play it myself.

Avatar image for peasantabuse
#10 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5098 posts) -

I've also never found one where I think the person is funny. Although I do enjoy the videos Hamster makes from time to time.

Avatar image for rubberluffy
#11 Posted by rubberluffy (788 posts) -
@allworkandlowpay said:
Almost everybody (if not, everybody) that makes these videos seem like drooling morons. The least offensive of them seem to occasionally mutter one or two nasally sentences in a ten minute video, but the worst of them seem to get off on their own voice, blabbing the most unfunny quips possible every second they can get.

What am I missing here? Somebody enlighten me.

Sounds like you've only seen Youtube LPs, so there is the problem.  Go look up Research Indicate's Trespasser or stuff by Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus (especially 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand and MGS LPs.)  I'd link them but I've done it so many times on this site in so many threads that I'm gonna be lazy for once.
Avatar image for marz
#12 Posted by Marz (6095 posts) -

I don't have the money to buy every game ever released.  So i usually watch a lets play to see how the game's story plays out.   I'm guilty of doing this for Deadspace 1 and 2.

Avatar image for video_game_king
#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -
@allworkandlowpay
 
You seem to be limiting yourself to a very specific type of Let's Play. There are subtitle LPs, screenshot LPs, text LPs, group LPs, LPs where people switch between videos or whatever, and all other types. Done right, it can deliver decent entertainment value, insight into the game, game tips, or a bunch of other stuff.
Avatar image for allworkandlowpay
#14 Posted by allworkandlowpay (928 posts) -

@louiedog said:

Hell if I know. I don't have the endurance to watch someone run through an entire game. I'd rather play it myself.

That's probably it for me as well. I just don't see the appeal. (I also don't really see the appeal for the Endurance Run on GB either though. I watched a few, and they were funny, because the GB crew actually are pretty humorous, but I can't watch it all.)

I do have to say though, I forget who it was, but one persons Let's Play of Europa Universalis III did help me both learn the games mechanics, and decide to purchase it for myself. But I only watched four of his 182 videos of the game.

Avatar image for ds8k
#15 Posted by ds8k (432 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay said:

@Meowshi: I've gone through a cursory examination of all the top rated ones on youtube. They all seem like driveling, nasally morons.

That's because you're watching YouTube LPs.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
#16 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7598 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay said:

@BrainSpecialist said:

Exactly the same reason people watch Quick Plays, or Last Saves. They either want to see what a game is like being played, or they think the person playing is funny.

I must just not be seeing the right ones, because I have not seen a single one where the person doesn't just sound like some idiot making one word quips or dumb sentences in stupid voices.

This one is really excellent. It's done very professionally and features a game that's pretty much unkown by most.

But yeah, for the most part I agree. It almost makes me wish Youtube had some kind of quality control, the majority of LP's are absolutely abysmal.

Avatar image for donutfever
#17 Posted by DonutFever (4051 posts) -

Giant Bomb ERs are the only ones I've ever enjoyed.

Avatar image for louiedog
#18 Posted by louiedog (2391 posts) -
@DonutFever said:
Giant Bomb ERs are the only ones I've ever enjoyed.
Same. I have a lot of interests (video games, reading, TV, spending time out in the neighborhood, etc) and I can't do as much of those things as I'd like. Watching someone else play games is far too low on my list to actually get it done. If I decide to sit down for video game time I'm going to play something.
 
The Giant Bomb ERs, and most of their video content, are treated like TV for me. I dropped cable awhile back and watch TV series and movies on Netflix and Hulu. Giant Bomb content gets included with that as what I watch for entertainment. If I sat down and looked hard I might find someone who does Lets Plays who is able to break into that category for me as well, but since I'm not looking for time to fill, I haven't bothered.
Avatar image for winternet
#19 Posted by Winternet (8441 posts) -

Since everyone that I care about, regarding videogames critic/journalism/shenanigans, works at WM, I don't know any of the other shit that's out there.

Avatar image for andrewb
#20 Posted by AndrewB (7815 posts) -

I've been known to watch Let's Plays for games I like but ones I know I'd never be able to finish on my own. Agree that 99% of them need not exist because not everyone is an entertainer.

Avatar image for allworkandlowpay
#21 Posted by allworkandlowpay (928 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

@BrainSpecialist said:

Exactly the same reason people watch Quick Plays, or Last Saves. They either want to see what a game is like being played, or they think the person playing is funny.

I must just not be seeing the right ones, because I have not seen a single one where the person doesn't just sound like some idiot making one word quips or dumb sentences in stupid voices.

This one is really excellent. It's done very professionally and features a game that's pretty much unkown by most.

But yeah, for the most part I agree. It almost makes me wish Youtube had some kind of quality control, the majority of LP's are absolutely abysmal.

I suppose I could see this being interesting to someone involved in game design, and it certainly seemed informative. Unfortunately it was also dreadfully boring. the only reason why I watched the entire thing was because I've never heard of this Jurassic Park game before.

Thanks for the link though.

Avatar image for dunchad
#22 Posted by Dunchad (745 posts) -

Different people like different things.

There are plenty of games I don't plan on playing, but I'm curious about - so I'll watch someone else play them. For example, I hate scary games (I can't even play Quake 2 for prolonged periods) - but I wanted to know what Amnesia was all about, so I watched Jesse Cox play it through. I'd never touch Deadly Preminition on my own - but thanks to GB, I have experienced the story without having to suffer through the agonizing gunfights.

Right now I'm watching Deus Ex, Crysis 2 and Dead Island playthroughs because I'm interested in them, but not enough to spend money and play them myself.

Avatar image for mystyr_e
#23 Posted by Mystyr_E (1474 posts) -

a guy on youtube called Ithilion the Brave did a Demon's Souls walkthrough. Not only pleasant to hear but gave a shitload of helpful tips

another called SupaGogoMan did one of the Resident Evil remake and this one was just plain hilarious. His "esophagus" problem part in particular

Avatar image for firepaw
#24 Posted by Firepaw (3125 posts) -

There are some games I want to see but not play myself (often because they are, well, bad)

Others it is because of great and/or funny insightful and entertaining commentary.

Avatar image for smtdante89
#25 Posted by SMTDante89 (2933 posts) -
Avatar image for sign
#26 Posted by Sign (306 posts) -

Going to throw another vote in for Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus. I have watched all the LPs on their site and enjoyed them all. I like watching LPs for different reasons. Sometimes it is because I love the game and I like seeing other people's approach to it or to hear their insight and thoughts about the game. Other times it is because I have no interest in playing the game and I would like to see the story etc. Lastly, in the case of Chip and Ironicus I just generally like the personalities and much like videos on this site I will watch a video about something I don't particularly have an interest in just because I enjoy the discussion and chatter of the people being recorded.

Avatar image for ravenlight
#27 Edited by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -
Avatar image for amducious
#28 Posted by Amducious (421 posts) -

Well at the end of the day, Giant Bomb are the original and best at these kind of gameplay videos. It helps as they have an extensive history with games, plus the wit and humor to pull it off.

After that, pretty much everyone else is going to seem like second best, but they do it because Giant Bomb does it. They just can't do it as well.

Well, that's my take on it from my own experiences.

Avatar image for matti00
#29 Posted by matti00 (677 posts) -

@EuanDewar: "Got away with murder! Well, I didn't really get away with it. I've got a license to murder... License to Murder doesn't sound as cool as License to Kill."

Okay you got me, dude made me laugh. I think there's something to be said for a Let's Play video where the guy is exasperated and enraged at every aspect of the game. Maybe get Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation on the case.

Avatar image for zaglis
#30 Edited by zaglis (912 posts) -

Legendary

Not a single episode is boring or unfunny from Toby

Avatar image for iam3green
#31 Posted by iam3green (14368 posts) -

they want to watch people play video games. they watch it to find out what the game is about and stuff.

Avatar image for chummy8
#32 Posted by Chummy8 (3748 posts) -

Never heard of them.

Avatar image for guided_by_tigers
#33 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8020 posts) -

Good question.....I find the majority of people who make LP's have incredibly annoying voices making them unwatchable.

Avatar image for butler
#34 Posted by Butler (452 posts) -

I am poor and I live vicariously through them.

Avatar image for liquidswords
#35 Posted by LiquidSwords (2728 posts) -

This is a thing?

Avatar image for wiseblood
#36 Posted by Wiseblood (823 posts) -

One of the greatest LPs of all time:

Avatar image for tobbrobb
#37 Edited by TobbRobb (6510 posts) -
Avatar image for shadow
#38 Posted by Shadow (5357 posts) -

Because there's no endurance run

Avatar image for benpicko
#39 Posted by benpicko (2016 posts) -

Watch some of Total Biscuits videos.

Avatar image for benpicko
#40 Posted by benpicko (2016 posts) -
@zaglis

Legendary

Not a single episode is boring or unfunny from Toby

Also this.
Avatar image for rjayb89
#41 Posted by rjayb89 (7811 posts) -

I'm a big fan of AccountNightmare and her Devil May Cry playthroughs. She usually plays on the hardest difficulty level (Dante Must Die), except for Devil May Cry 3, and is extremely well-informed of the games' mechanics, lore, and is pretty much just real fun to watch. Also, she doesn't talk over cutscenes and is also very Australian. Two things I enjoy.

Avatar image for zelyre
#42 Posted by Zelyre (1886 posts) -

I'd agree. Until last week; I ended up watching 25 episodes of TotalBiscuit's Let's Play Terraria in a few days before getting into Terraria myself.

Avatar image for three0nefive
#43 Edited by Three0neFive (2441 posts) -

Agreed with OP. They're hacks who do nothing but cater to the lowest common denominator with shitty, year-old internet memes and "lol so randum" faux-ADHD spazfests.
 
Fuck everything, I'm done.
 
@Dick_Mohawk said:

Well at the end of the day, Giant Bomb are the original and best at these kind of gameplay videos. It helps as they have an extensive history with games, plus the wit and humor to pull it off.

After that, pretty much everyone else is going to seem like second best, but they do it because Giant Bomb does it. They just can't do it as well.

Well, that's my take on it from my own experiences.

Sorry, you're retarded. Let's Plays have been around far, far longer than Giant Bomb.
Avatar image for zzzleepy
#44 Posted by Zzzleepy (172 posts) -

Only stuff I've seen outside of GiantBomb is for games I will probably never get to play, mainly because I don't own a PS3! So I checked out Heavy Rain and some other games, never got to the end though.

Avatar image for thebunnyhunter
#45 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1543 posts) -

I like watching for the funny comentary and to see how others play games.

I like psychadellicsnake, davidx64, BlueXephos' channels on youtube.

Avatar image for zippedbinders
#46 Posted by Zippedbinders (1198 posts) -

Sir Ron Lionheart.

Only LP out there worth it.

Avatar image for tobbrobb
#47 Posted by TobbRobb (6510 posts) -
@Zippedbinders: The only thing better than that are the videos dedicated to making fun of him.
Avatar image for divina_rex
#48 Posted by Divina_Rex (368 posts) -

The only one i have watched are Fallout 1 & 2 ones. I learned a lot and I think it is funny, some parts.

Avatar image for shinigami420
#49 Posted by shinigami420 (647 posts) -

Dopefish is fucking incredible

Avatar image for aeterna
#50 Posted by Aeterna (1129 posts) -

You people really seem to only have found the bad lp's. There are plenty of older (and thus way more sensible) lp's out there.

As for why you watch them; I started watching some Resident Evil videos/lp's (back when that was pretty unique) because I really didn't like those games and wondered what people saw in them.

Then I really enjoyed the guy's commentary and watched his other videos. That's when I simply just found it fun to listen to some people. But I'm personally really selective, there's only a couple of people I can even stand listening to, much like the OP.