Why don't all big games have demo's?

drakattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By drakattack

So I just got done playing the Mass Effect 2 demo and I was blown away. I had no idea the shooting in that game was that good. I am a Halo and WoW player and I really don't dabble in much else aside from the occasional sport game or RPG. 

If Mass Effect 2 would have released the demo alongside the games release I would have bought the game day 1. I just got back from a local game store and got it used for 29.99. That's 60 bucks the developer won't be getting from me that I would have gladly given them had they allowed me to test the game out.

On an slightly related side note I was able to pick up ME1 for 9.99. I thought that was a fair price for a used 360 game.   

Guess the lesson learned here is that if you are going to produce a game, you might as well make a demo for it if Xbox will allow you. Would have definitely made me get this over FF13.

Exed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Exed

Demo's are usually pretty expensive to make plus they have to really nail the feel of the final product. I guess this puts a lot of developers and publishers off the idea.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Exed said:
" Demo's are usually pretty expensive to make plus they have to really nail the feel of the final product. I guess this puts a lot of developers and publishers off the idea. "
This and also the fact that they take resources and time to make.  It's not (usually) as easy as cutting a slice off of the main game to make a demo.
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Pie

Some demos just dont demo well, how would a fallout new vegas demo work?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d1ab87a7ca4
deactivated-59d1ab87a7ca4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of games, like RPG's, don't demo well. Some demos make the game seem like something it's not. Making demos also take time away from the developers, when they could have spent that time polishing the game, so in a way, demos are a waste of time.

That's what I've always thought of demos at least.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By zeforgotten

Open world games (Fallout, GTA) And RPG games don't demo well. 
It's never a good idea to limit an open world game with a demo (or a timer for that matter, that's even dumber) 

drakattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By drakattack

I'd be willing to bet that Mass Effect 2 demo was worth every penny. Me, my sisters BF, and his sister all got the game after we played the demo. 3 people that I know personally. Might cost a little to make the demo, but it is cost effective. Gotta spend money to make money. All the commercials in the world couldn't make me buy that game, but one 30 minute demo sold me almost instantly.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rockanomics

I totally feel you, especially being a PC guy it's pretty rough. Getting in with On-Live has been the only way I got to try the new Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed 2. 

Gotta pray for those quick-looks!

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By phantomzxro

I would say bigger games that have a good chance of selling i would think they feel a demo really won't help them as much or maybe even hurt them. When a big game comes out the hype train will  give the game alot of sells. If there was a demo first it could be a good chance it may turn people away because it not as good as the hype and they would move along. I would say a great example would be final fanasy 13 which sold pretty well but if a demo was out first it could have hurt the sells because it was not what people expected.
secretagent099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By secretagent099

There was actually a mass effect 2 demo recently released on steam :P

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Pie
@iShayman: @Exed: @FluxWaveZ:  
But nearly all games have demos for E3 and gaming conventions, couldn't they  use those? 
Actually games do improve alot normally between E3 for example so that might not give the best impression
DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

When the press plays an early demo, they always go in with the thought that the game has time to get better.  You cannot risk that with the consumer if you have a demo that is substandard.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By mosdl
@Pie said:
" @iShayman: @Exed: @FluxWaveZ:  But nearly all games have demos for E3 and gaming conventions, couldn't they  use those? Actually games do improve alot normally between E3 for example so that might not give the best impression "
A lot of those demos are canned to make the game look better since like you said the games are not ready yet.

Plus Mass Effect was already a big name - demos probably are more useful for new IPs.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Jimbo
@phantomzxro said:
" I would say bigger games that have a good chance of selling i would think they feel a demo really won't help them as much or maybe even hurt them. When a big game comes out the hype train will  give the game alot of sells. If there was a demo first it could be a good chance it may turn people away because it not as good as the hype and they would move along"
Exactly what I was going to say.  

Demos only really make sense if you are struggling to get any kind of hype going, or if you are totally confident in your product (but even then there is still an element of risk).
GamerForLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GamerForLife

Your right other people assume developers dont wanna spend time and money to make demos, but what their missing is the fact that demos could help bring in new customers because alot of gamers tend to judge the game by its cover and name so its better to have a hands on experience with the game rather than playing russian roulet when buying a game. Like the saying goes you gotta spend money to make money.