• 118 results
Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

Because in general the average person that thinks he's cool won't read comics.

That dude that thinks he's cool has the right idea, comics suck, however, give me any Manga and I will most likely read it.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#102  Edited By Jeust
@Abyssfull said:
" I loved The Watchmen, that over Dark Knight for my superhero movie of 2009 anyday. "
One of the best movies i have ever seen!
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By Nasar7

I didn't like this movie. At all. And not for the "it's faithful to the comic" reason most have given. I could care less about that. It was just a terrible movie. Everything about the dumb plot to the erratic pacing, bad acting, bad dialogue, unlikable characters, bad interaction between characters, and the trying-too-hard-to-be-edgy-and-cool vibe it gives off leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm glad I didn't pay to see it.

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By blackbeard

Because non-nerds... i.e. my wife... thinks it's lame and pathetic... and because many of the costumes looked like lame cosplay. 

Oh and need I remind you there is a giant blue smurf dick on screen half the time... 

I like the movie... so don't take me the wrong way... but its a niche movie for comic and sc-fi geeks. Most average people don't give a crap nor like the things we like.

henrymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By henrymor

Not the best DC movie or watch series but it's a decent one. Even IMDB rating is average for DC standards. Even the watchmen series by HBO is fine to watch.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me or has the number of really old threads getting bumped gone up quite a bit in the last few days?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@htr10: Usually bumped by bot accounts, but then someone starts talking about the topic again. Totally harmless, the latter.

To stay on topic, I dug Watchmen, but I never read the comics. My understanding is that comic fans found it too safe, too much a copy of the source, and that it didn’t get enough of the texture and flavor that the comics presented...but again, I’m just a guy who saw the film and read a little feedback at some point or another.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the movie, but having now watched the HBO show too, they really should have had the squid in the movie. I know, real hot take.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I love when these old posts pop up, some of which I commented on 10 years ago. Though I think I missed this one. I personally read the graphic novel before seeing the film. I liked both and was surprised how faithful the film was for the most part. Chalk me up as another like for the film. I haven’t seen the HBO show, which is what I initially thought this thread was about. But, now I may have to check it out.

Jarp12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I have enjoyed all of the Watchmen.

Comic, movie and show. I didn't know it wasn't liked.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a video essay by Jesse Tribble called "A Clock Without a Craftsmen" which explains very eloquently why the movie is not as good as the comic. This thread is helola mad old at this point but it's really worth a watch and the points are also applicable to a whole host of lackluster movie adaptions. I'd recommend people to give it a watch.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You folks realise these decade-old threads are primarily bumped by bots, right?

FlashFlood_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By FlashFlood_29

A lot of people put it real well on the first page. The movie doesn't seem to get across points that the novel does. It feels very superficial and as that it fails, while it also fails to convey properly convey what's going on. It all felt stitched together in a way that felt true to the source in terms of cinematography but also doesn't capture the connection between scenes. The scene on Mars in the movie seemed rushed with what I remember odd dialogue.

Having read the novel first, the movie was nice in that it reminded me of the different parts of the novel and what it meant as I read it. The movie seems to try and capture the emotion of the novel's scenes without really... investing in it.

It's a hell of a project they tackled but it just didn't do it for me as a fan of the novel.

Edit: @the_nubster great link. Perfectly nails the general idea of my dislike and then some. Snyder faithfully transplants the the pages and dialogue but it's ultimately hollow.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 14

#116  Edited By Humanity

I might have commented on this thread years ago, I don’t have the energy to check, but I can safely say my opinion on the matter isn’t changed and I still think that the movie is probably THE best adaptation of a graphic novel to movie format that I’ve seen.

It will never be a 1-to-1 sort of deal and I think the changes ending was a real bad choice and they should have kept the squid in but what can you do. The film is full of visually striking imagery ripped straight from the pages and a lot of moments like Rorschachs death certainly carry the same emotion and gravitas as they did in the graphic novel. The main argument that the violence is “ugly” in the comic and more “flashy” in the film is a minor gripe that is clearly done in service of the movie adapting its own language and cadence. The intro fight where we see the demise of the comedian is a perfect example of this - the slow motion, the framing, it’s all masterfully done and it’s saying the same story but in a way that only a movie can and a comic never could. You either appreciate that for its own artistry or you dig in your heels and refuse to just let some things go.

These days a Joker styled Watchmen would be an interesting proposition where the world is ugly, the violence hard to look at and the behavior and motivation of the characters difficult to stomach. Of course that in of itself would a whole different story, but also one I would be interested in seeing.

The HBO TV show in contrast to both film and comic is like a crayon outline filled in by an excited teenager. There were a few cool moments but the tone is at times so all over the place and the dialog so corny that it was difficult to watch at times. Kudos for trying to adapt the story to modern issues but ooofff..

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: The HBO show was the most Lindelof show ever. Starts well but then fails to do anything with the promise. Tries to be against racism, but is pretty freaking racist itself. Tries to tell a nuanced story, but ends with the most black and white division of the characters ever.

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

I didn't like the movie, I thought the pacing was too uneven - a few actions scenes interspersed by overly lengthy dialogue sections. Overall, the movie felt too slow for me.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonbonetti: If I remember correctly, and it's been 10 years since I read the book or watched the film, the book wasn't very action packed either. A lot of pondering with interspersed action, but it's possible I am not remembering correctly.