Why have city racing games gone extinct?

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Howardian

For the past decade, Burnout, Need for Speed and the Crew have provided "highway racing." Most races are on highways through the mountains and deserts.

I'm playing Payback right now, it's another highway racer.

All the racing games I've found online are either rally (Dirt etc..) or track racers (Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, Forza, etc).

Are there no new racing games where you race inside a city at night? (NFS Underground 2, NFS Carbon, etc).

petedee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By petedee

Need for Speed (2015) and Forza Horizon 3 both offer city racing as well as the mountain / desert racing, you also have the likes of GTA 5 taking up this mantle.

In the move to be open-world games I think they've broadened themselves out a bit so don't have to be exclusively focused to urban areas, its probably lead to smaller cities in these games but they are still there.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petedee said:

Need for Speed (2015) and Forza Horizon 3

The first is a multiplayer game, the second is a console exclusive.

@petedee said:

In the move to be open-world games I think they've broadened themselves out a bit so don't have to be exclusively focused to urban areas

I wish they went from 100% urban to 50% urban 50% highways, but what they did is really go 5% urban 95% highways.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#5  Edited By isomeri

@howardian said:
@petedee said:

Need for Speed (2015) and Forza Horizon 3

The first is a multiplayer game, the second is a console exclusive.

I don't know why Forza Horizon 3 would be disqualified just because it's not available on the PS4 or Switch. And Need for Speed (2015) is not exclusively a multiplayer game at all. In fact I don't think I ever did an online race in that game.

And the obvious reason for the lack of city racing games is probably that city environments are hard to render if you want them to look nice and keep up performance. The city parts in Forza Horizon 3 are a notorious example of how badly the framerate can drop between highway and city environments.

Also, it's hard to make city driving both fun and somewhat realistic. You need cars on the road to make the city feel livable, but those same cars will get annoying if you're driving around blind corners between buildings. Having pedestrians on the streets is an obvious no-go for licensed car manufacturers, although the Forza Horizon games have been able to go around the issue with some indestructible fences and so on.

My hope is that the small city environments of Forza Horizon 3 were a good testing ground for larger cities to be featured in the sequel.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and there have been those rumors and leaks of a supposed new Midnight Club game.