Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Etnos

@AlexW00d said:

@Etnos: The fuck are you on about? He has explained why he is thinking this, it's his opinion. He never said what he said was a fact, so how can you call anyone ignorant of other cultures? If he, or I, or anyone for that matter, doesn't like child protagonists, then what the fuck does that have to do with culture? You're just pulling shit out of your ass to try and make a point.

I'm just pointing out it would be enriching for "his/her" writing skills to consider cultural differences and a open approach to the nature of his/her dislike. Writing hating cliches of a western player toward Japanese games is what the internet do for free. Why would a website paid a writer to do such thing?

@AlexW00d said:

If he, or I, or anyone for that matter, doesn't like child protagonists, then what the fuck does that have to do with culture?

In the case of Japan it is a figure constantly used in their Mythology (Historical Mythology.. way before video games or JRPG), there are cultural implications, again as I said, no one is force to like such Mythology figure, yet.. if OP is trying to be a "writer", It would be advisable to research on that matter.. just saying.

DespoticDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By DespoticDave

@DespoticDave said:

@DespoticDave said:

Why I don't like JRPG's? Pretentious, melodramatic, convoluted plots with unnatural dialogue, and annoying anime/Jpop characters. If I had to listen to one more JRPG character have some bullshit philosophical, psychobabble inner monologue while looking at the sky, and holding their hands over their heart, I think I'll puke. Not to mention the awful character designs that seem straight out of some futuristic Cirque du Soleil show. Keep the gameplay and lose everything else.

I just quoted my original post. Was I blunt? Yes. Did I say in that post, and future posts in this thread, that all JRPG's were like this and it was absolute? No. You got annoyed with me, and now you want me to give some sort of exposition on a bunch of random games you may have played; all so that my opinion on JRPG tropes in general can be discarded since my experience with JRPG's don't live up to your lofty JRPG experience. Ridiculous. I have played many JRPG's throughout the years and have enjoyed many of them. Unfortunately, this is the opinion I have developed due to my interaction with many of them. Again, I said in a previous post, they are not all egregious, and the ones that are less so I tend to enjoy much more. Ring of Red, Chrono Trigger, Dark Cloud, Legend of Mana, and blah blah blah...does it really matter if I list off all of them? If you really don't like my opinion than address it directly by defending those tropes, or let me know of games that I may not have played that break from that mold. I know they exist, but they can be hard to find at times. Hell, I have many issues with WRPG's as well. If you were to list off all the issues you had with WRPG's, I wouldn't call your experience with them into order; I would simply try and figure out what bothers you exactly about them, and what games I could recommend that you might enjoy. Alright, I don't have all night for this, I gotta head out to Planet Fitness before it closes!

I just wanted to repost this for clarification; I believe it got buried in the comments. Chrissedoff, you really took my original post and ran with it didn't you (I say this jokingly of course). :P

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#153  Edited By Stepside

@Addfwyn: Great, great post.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#154  Edited By Video_Game_King
Is it over?
Is it over?
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#155  Edited By Turambar
@MikkaQ said:

@Turambar: But it's NOT a game about bug catching. It's still about kids stopping terrorists or criminal organisations with fantasy creatures. The plotlessness of pokemon games gets a pass from me because it's clear the developers don't even try. It's just not an important part of pokemon, the trading, raising, breeding and fighting is the focus. What I'm saying about international standards still holds. As you mentioned, it's mainly for technical reasons. Well screenwriting isn't a free-form art. There are rules for everything, including story. That's why it IS possible to call a story objectively poor. Like I said, JRPGs are barely ever plausible, so I can't suspend my disbelief that well, and everything falls apart for me. There's not enough cohesion to the world, and magical properties only seem to serve the plot and not the world, so they seem all ginned up and false. It's just kinda... sloppy storytelling that you see in a lot of JRPGs and it's problematic.

People ask why such high expectations for story are levvied on JRPGs but that's because they portray themselves as such. The story is a major focus of most JRPGs, since that kind of gameplay can only get you so far. For pokemon to reduce it's focus on story and still be successful it had to have a completely different RPG mechanic than any other games of the time, in Pokemon's case they made it a really addictive matter of catchin' them all. Really for me the problem is for such a story focused genre, the story telling is super sloppy.

You completely misinterpret what the quote meant.  It is not that the plot of the game is a bug catching hunt, it is what you are doing that is compared to bug catching.  The core of the game is monster catching and collection, monsters being stand ins for the bugs.  Teach Rocket and every single analog that comes after them are but side stories to what the core idea of those games are, while the actual central plot has always remained being the best bug catcher in all the land by having your bugs wreck the shit out of the bugs of that world's version of the elite 4. 

Onto plausibility, I see that term thrown around fairly often, especially in the form of how WRPGs are more plausible.  Which causes me to ask: how are either of the following plausible in any way shape or form?  "A dark god comes out of the ground with a big army, turns people into monsters, and a group of people unite to kill it" vs "A dark god comes down from the moon with an army, brainwashes people, and a group of people unite to kill it."  If your only requirement is that a game be true to the rules it set for itself in a game (in the case of Dragon Age, there are evil dragon zombie gods under the earth and they come out regularly to cause a ruckus), then I'd say most JRPGs do that just fine, and rarely have any story cohesion issues you seem to run into with the genre as far as I'm concerned.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#156  Edited By Brendan

Speaking of bad character design, y'know what I never want to see again? Heels on any character in a game with combat situations ever (well, I guess Bayonetta gets a pass).

I'm looking at you...everyone.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By chrissedoff

@mutha3: @Hailinel: Basically what you guys want is proof that there are near-universal tropes that would be justification for people to say "I dislike JRPGs". I could go to the absurd length of doing a comprehensive study on the subject that includes every game under the sun, but why do you want that? I mean, let's be honest: your goal here is just to set a high enough bar for the evidence you will accept that the side with which you disagree will find it impossible to prove their side satisfactorily.

I don't know why you guys are still grumbling about this when I already gave you an out: Japanese RPGs are goofy as hell, sure, but that's what you guys like about them. You know it, I know it, and if I'm wrong and you actually find the stories and characters in these games emotionally or intellectually engaging, then God bless your heart, but that's something I will never understand. Hey, I felt that way a little bit playing Mother 3, though in my opinion that game is an outlier, not an indication that I need to reassess the genre and buy every JRPG that comes out all of a sudden. I'm not trying to take your enjoyment of these games away from you. I just want to let you know that you guys are kidding yourselves if you think people who say they dislike would reverse their opinion if they just played a whole heap of them.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#158  Edited By Hailinel

@chrissedoff said:

@mutha3: @Hailinel: Basically what you guys want is proof that there are near-universal tropes that would be justification for people to say "I dislike JRPGs". I could go to the absurd length of doing a comprehensive study on the subject that includes every game under the sun, but why do you want that? I mean, let's be honest: your goal here is just to set a high enough bar for the evidence you will accept that the side with which you disagree will find it impossible to prove their side satisfactorily.

I don't know why you guys are still grumbling about this when I already gave you an out: Japanese RPGs are goofy as hell, sure, but that's what you guys like about them. You know it, I know it, and if I'm wrong and you actually find the stories and characters in these games emotionally or intellectually engaging, then God bless your heart, but that's something I will never understand. Hey, I felt that way a little bit playing Mother 3, though in my opinion that game is an outlier, not an indication that I need to reassess the genre and buy every JRPG that comes out all of a sudden. I'm not trying to take your enjoyment of these games away from you. I just want to let you know that you guys are kidding yourselves if you think people who say they dislike would reverse their opinion if they just played a whole heap of them.

No, I made very clear what I wanted from you. You have yet to provide it. You can make all the excuses you like, but you've failed in that task.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#159  Edited By wmoyer83

I agree with a lot of your points, but a lot of these flaws are what gives jrpgs their charm

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

The Yakuza series is one of the best JRPGs ever.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By chrissedoff

@Hailinel: Arguing about JRPGs isn't what I do for a living, so unless you want to send me $100 through PayPal for this nonsense you can keep on pouting.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
@chrissedoff said:

@Hailinel: Arguing about JRPGs isn't what I do for a living, so unless you want to send me $100 through PayPal for this nonsense you can keep on pouting.

Well if you don't want to argue or discuss something, you shouldn't post to begin with.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Hailinel

@chrissedoff said:

I have no reason to pout. It's not my fault you couldn't answer my question. I'm not the one trying to support hyperbole as fact here. Please, by all means, take your ball and go home if you don't want to play.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#164  Edited By huntad

I prefer a lot of older JRPGs. Still, even back then there was some questionable dialog, and whatever.

Even then there are some western RPGs that have questionable sequences as well. Also, I tend to 'click' more so with the main characters in JRPGs when they're done right. I find that a lot of the WRPG protagonists can be very stoic, manly, bravado types. I think it's because the Japanese seem to let loose with a lot more emotion and ridiculous situations. Sometimes it backfires and some major disconnect can occur. When it's done right, though, it seems that the interactions and the resulting feelings bounce around from character to character in JRPGs. It makes it kind of fun. With that said, I love Fallout 1&2, Dragon Age Origins (1 of my fav rpgs of all time), KotoR, and more.

RPGs from both regions do things right and do things wrong. It's too easy to place stereotypes on one or the other. I take 'em as they come and judge them on a game-by-game basis. There are always exceptions.

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Tackchevy

Realism has been rough on JRPGs. SNES classics were great mainly for the same reason that books are great: imagination. It was much easier when an animated sprite could waggle a finger, or sweat, or make some goofy expression. The player interprets these gestures in whatever way is most real or appropriate to the player. That minimalism is lost when you can hear the inflection of the character's voice and see them in full body capture animation. Those quirks and actions that made sense before suddenly seem awkward and annoying when the creators have the opportunity to fully express their actual vision.

That being said, I imported Xenoblade and loved it. It pushed the old genre forward and made it awesome and exciting again, if only for 80 hours or so.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#166  Edited By Commisar123

Goddamit, I told myself I wouldn't get involved in this. Look this debate is not constructive. Square should not stop making their kind of JRPGs just because someone doesn't like them very much. There are so many other companies out there like Atlus, Bioware, Nis, CD Projekt Red, and many others both Japanese and Western that are making RPGs you should be able to find something that appeals to you. I want Square to keep doing what they are doing because somebody loves it as much as I love Atlus and Bioware. Above all we should avoid blanket statements like the ones that have been made in this thread, and maybe make thread titles that don't piss people off before they even read the dam post.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#167  Edited By Slag

@jbrown08 said:

This is my first ever blog post, and really my first ever piece of writing that has nothing to do with a school assignment. I would like to eventually break into the world of game coverage, whether it be in writing or other forms. I welcome any and all criticism. Please tell me why I'm wrong, stupid, boring, an idiot, and whatever else you think of my writing. I'm just trying to refine my writing style here to the point where I am at least interesting. Rip me to shreds, I can take it.

Also, tell me why I'm awesome. It makes me feel gooey inside :-)

I guess it depends on what you tried to do here. if you were trying to write a provovative blog, then yeah I'd say you did it. if you were trying to write a more professional critcism piece I would you were largely unsuccessful.

You did a decent job explaining why you personally don't like JRPGs, but you didn't make a convincing argument for why the reader should share your feelings. That's the difference in my opinion between writing a blog and writing a professional criticism piece. People who already share your POV are going to like your piece and people who don't are going to instantly reject it.

There's also a lot stylistically in what you wrote that is completey unecessary in a professional game opinion piece. E.g. the entire first paragraph.

FWIW I'd also suggest start with smaller topics than such a broad one, until you get your groove on. If you can write knowledgeably in depth about a smaller topic it can do a couple things for you 1)- in the process of rsearching it you may gain an area of knowledge that isn't common and 2) it will be more distinctive from other comeptiting pieces out there. But keep writing man, the more you do the better you'll get at it. If you want to do game coverage for a career, prepare to work your butt work off for little pay for a good while.

good luck!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#168  Edited By toowalrus

That avatar... for a minute, I thought you were someone I used to hate... so long ago. He was pretty much the reason Giantbomb doesn't have a +1/-1 feature anymore...

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By QuistisTrepe

@jbrown08:

I agree with most of you blog, except for your examples of good, memorable characters. You failed there big time.

You know who's to blame for your dislike of JRPGs? You are. So am I, and everyone else who mindlessly tossed money at this nonsense for so many years. I especially blame the FFVII fanboys who cried foul at every turn whenever Square attempted to modernize Final Fantasy. Has there ever been another genre that has evolved as slowly as JRPGs? If it weren't for Atlus, we'd still be playing the same boring, vanilla adventures over and over again. No question, JRPG gamers are just as much to blame as the developer. We didn't want changes, we wanted the same recycled template. Gamers kicked and screamed and cried over having to actually do something with the controller besides tapping "X" over and over again.

I see how far the JRPG genre has fallen behind the times (though the genre has shown signs of progress) and I can't help but be relieved that Japan is no longer the center of the gaming universe (even though they think they are).

sanchopanza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#170  Edited By sanchopanza

@Hailinel: Did you even read the whole discussion? For starters, how is 'give me some examples of how these games are different' the same as 'prove to me that concept XY does not exist in this game'? Anyway, I assumed the guy saw a James Randi lecture somewhere, because in all my life and in years of studying philosophy that is the only person I have heard use 'prove a negative' (meaning trying to prove something does not exist). In that case his point is stupid (as I said, games are not like santa, they exist and can be discussed). However, if he was making a general argument then his point is borderline retarded, especially after he said 'that is not how logic works'... What? WHAT? A) In philosophy and discussion of logic a positive can be just as difficult to prove as a negative, and B) I can very easily prove a negative: I am not imaginary because cogito ergo sum (there you go, apparently I just destroyed this dudes concept of logic). The point of contention here is his appeal to logic, not any kind of argument about scientific evidence.

I actually know what I'm talking about here, but thanks for your idiotic wikipedia post anyway.

So....videogames huh?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#171  Edited By Seppli

I do hate JRPGs too, and yes, I too torture myself by trying to enjoy one from time to time, because of the great fondness and nostalgia I have for them. Btw. you forgot to mention 'bellyfree top wearing' effeminate males. Most irksome JRPG character design trope ever.

Oh - current day JRPG fan please go ahead and debunk JRPG tropes with examples and plug the best modern JRPGs. I shall try some of them out.

• Non-flamboyant character designs
  • coherent story
  • Non-melodramatic emo-overdrive
  • Non-candyland worldbuilding
  • Believable character development
  • Non-teenage Protagonist

If I think of a JRPG setting I'd be excited for, I think of the Berserk universe... have a wiff of it and tell me why I can't have something like that. Or if such a thing exists, why haven't I heard of it.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#172  Edited By CaLe
@Seppli: There was a Berserk game released for the PS2 but it's an action/adventure game, not a JRPG. Amazon.co.jp have it in stock but it says below that they can't ship it overseas. It's not an amazing game, unless you're a huge fan of Berserk. Still, I enjoyed it a lot, but mostly because it was a break from the norm. Anyway, if you liked Berserk then I'd recommend シグルイ (Shigurui). It's a very mature themed anime/manga (in terms of violence), and not suitable for kids. I don't know if it's available in English though. Might be worth looking for. 

Berserk game 
Berserk game 
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Seppli

@CaLe:

Neat^^. Only knew about the Dreamcast one, produced by Sega, which they even sold around these parts.

Looks like a fun romp.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Seppli

@CaLe:

Holy motherfucking cow! Catch this...

They're turning the Berserk Saga into 3 feature length animation movies! Looks like top notch production quality too. Might even see a global theatrical release with that Warner Bros. backing! I can't describe how much my guts are twisted in anticipation of seeing this. It's like a dream come true. I think I have to taint a woman with my love today - in celebration of this incredible news. I am excite!

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By CaLe
@Seppli: It does look really nice, especially compared to the original version which has aged by now. Guts twisted in anticipation is probably the perfect way to describe anticipation for this^^ Hopefully they don't tone it down too much. Who knows, maybe this could even lead to a Berserk JRPG. You can dream ;) 

And unless my ears deceive me, the voice actor for Griffith is 櫻井孝宏  who did the voice work for Cloud in the Final Fantasy: Advent Children movie. So he does have some relationship with Square Enix. Well most voice actors really do get around, but just a thought.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Hailinel

@sanchopanza said:

@Hailinel: Did you even read the whole discussion? For starters, how is 'give me some examples of how these games are different' the same as 'prove to me that concept XY does not exist in this game'? Anyway, I assumed the guy saw a James Randi lecture somewhere, because in all my life and in years of studying philosophy that is the only person I have heard use 'prove a negative' (meaning trying to prove something does not exist). In that case his point is stupid (as I said, games are not like santa, they exist and can be discussed). However, if he was making a general argument then his point is borderline retarded, especially after he said 'that is not how logic works'... What? WHAT? A) In philosophy and discussion of logic a positive can be just as difficult to prove as a negative, and B) I can very easily prove a negative: I am not imaginary because cogito ergo sum (there you go, apparently I just destroyed this dudes concept of logic). The point of contention here is his appeal to logic, not any kind of argument about scientific evidence.

I actually know what I'm talking about here, but thanks for your idiotic wikipedia post anyway.

So....videogames huh?

I already explained why proving a negative is a bad idea. If you're going to start slinging insults, you might as well step out of this conversation.

Oh, and here's the wikipedia article you probably want.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#177  Edited By VisariLoyalist

I think all of the issues you're bringing up are just differences in culture. I'm sure there's a lot of things western characters do that from a japanese perspective seems illogical in the narrative context. I do agree that those cultural differences make it very difficult to enjoy a japanese game in this day and age with so many good western alternatives.

sanchopanza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By sanchopanza

@Hailinel: Are you for real? Read my post again, then read it again, think a little and then it may become apparent to you that what you just wrote makes no sense. What is the point in giving me that link? I told you I have knowledge of the subject from actually having studied it, clearly you do not and can only copy-paste wikipedia crap.

And, no, you didn't explain anything, you just went round and round in circles without addressing any of the points I raised in any of my posts (again, read what I actually wrote and try to understand it instead of doing google research). Feigned intelligence is very easy to spot. Geez, you remind me of that Yagami guy that posted nonsensical blogs a while back.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By DeF

@sanchopanza said:

@Hailinel: Are you for real? Read my post again, then read it again, think a little and then it may become apparent to you that what you just wrote makes no sense. What is the point in giving me that link? I told you I have knowledge of the subject from actually having studied it, clearly you do not and can only copy-paste wikipedia crap.

And, no, you didn't explain anything, you just went round and round in circles without addressing any of the points I raised in any of my posts (again, read what I actually wrote and try to understand it instead of doing google research). Feigned intelligence is very easy to spot. Geez, you remind me of that Yagami guy that posted nonsensical blogs a while back.

I don't even remember what you guys are fighting about.

@VisariLoyalist said:

I think all of the issues you're bringing up are just differences in culture. I'm sure there's a lot of things western characters do that from a japanese perspective seems illogical in the narrative context. I do agree that those cultural differences make it very difficult to enjoy a japanese game in this day and age with so many good western alternatives.

Yea that's probably a huge part. back in the olden days, there were only a few alternatives and those came out mostly on the PC so all the console people just naturally played more JRPGs compared to today where everything is everywhere. there are more games that represent their worlds more in line with how the rest of western pop culture does it so we can associate with it more easily than with those "crazy Japanese games".

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Hailinel

@sanchopanza said:

You asked where the negative was. It's been explained to you that the negative in this case would mean the lack of what is claimed to be in a game. You are therefore requesting evidence of absence. I don't see what's so difficult to understand about that. I'm not trying to bamboozle you, here. It's pretty straightforward.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Still_I_Cry

But..but..all your..base are belong..

Upon further meditation on the points..only one thought runs through my head..I am disappoint.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#182  Edited By Cincaid

Can't wait for part 2 of this flamefest.

What were we talking about again?

sanchopanza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By sanchopanza

@Hailinel: No one asked for evidence of absence, you were asked to provide examples of differences between games, which is a little different. Even if that was the case, my main point of contention was his appeal to logic (which I mentioned on more than one occasion, but you seem to have missed completely). So I repeat....if he is talking about proving a negative in the James Randi sense, his argument is foolish because videogames are known quantities and can be examined. If he is making a general appeal to logic then his argument makes no sense whatsoever because (as I said more than once, but again, you seem to have missed) giving evidence of a positive can be just as difficult, conversely proving a negative can be a simple proposition, as such making a statement like 'that is not how logic works' is idiotic in the extreme. Which part of that do you not understand?

@DeF: I don't even know anymore, I think I somehow got into an argument with an otaku wikipedia warrior.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#184  Edited By AlexW00d

@Etnos said:

@AlexW00d said:

@Etnos: The fuck are you on about? He has explained why he is thinking this, it's his opinion. He never said what he said was a fact, so how can you call anyone ignorant of other cultures? If he, or I, or anyone for that matter, doesn't like child protagonists, then what the fuck does that have to do with culture? You're just pulling shit out of your ass to try and make a point.

I'm just pointing out it would be enriching for "his/her" writing skills to consider cultural differences and a open approach to the nature of his/her dislike. Writing hating cliches of a western player toward Japanese games is what the internet do for free. Why would a website paid a writer to do such thing?

@AlexW00d said:

If he, or I, or anyone for that matter, doesn't like child protagonists, then what the fuck does that have to do with culture?

In the case of Japan it is a figure constantly used in their Mythology (Historical Mythology.. way before video games or JRPG), there are cultural implications, again as I said, no one is force to like such Mythology figure, yet.. if OP is trying to be a "writer", It would be advisable to research on that matter.. just saying.

Whilst I see where you are coming from, I don't think it's as important as you're making it out to be. Research is always a good thing, of course, but sometimes, it really won't help. If the OP had written something along the lines of what you said about Japanese culture and child based myths, but carried on to say what he said anyway, do you think people would react any different?

Anyway, as a dude reading another dude's blog, for a first time piece it was very good, and the only way to learn, is to do stuff like this and see what happens.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Hailinel
@sanchopanza And I'll note again why it's easier to prove a positive in this case. To prove the negative, you must thoroughly examine the entire game to ensure that an element is truly absent. Proof of a positive does not require that thorough of an examination because the moment that evidence is found, it is proven to exist.
sanchopanza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By sanchopanza

@Hailinel: True enough, but not what I was really arguing about so I'm not sure why you went through all the trouble. Its the whole 'not how logic works' thing that bugged me, which why I used the examples that I did, in philosophy/logic the line between positive and negative is not so straightforward. (Look up Hume's fork and Gettier type question to get a sense of where I'm coming from)

Anywho, good blog OP, I look forward to more.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#187  Edited By PixelPrinny

@Video_Game_King said:

Is it over?
Is it over?

lol I dun think so XD Easiest way to get a high view/post count to a thread on GB forums: Use the words "JRPG" and "hate" in the title, then just sit back and watch. :P

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By freakin9

I've recently found myself in a "I'm going to try out a JRPG after years of ignoring them!" jag. But damned if everything doesn't look so unappealing about them. I think from the character design, to the sheer amount of game they expect you to go through it's not a easy nut to crack. I think I just want to unleash summon hell on some enemies, there's probably a non-JRPG that would fill that itch better yet here I sit, going over JRPGS trying to find "the one".

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#189  Edited By Video_Game_King

@PixelPrinny:

Oh, I've gotten a lot more from things that aren't JRPGs, and I've seen others get a lot from Katawa Shoujo. (Then again, that's probably because I post the shit out of those threads.)

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By GooieGreen

@freakin9: We should have seen it sooner that the absurd amount of belts and zippers that Final Fantasy X brought us was the sign of the end. We were just too foolish to realize it. Personally, I spent my time playing Blitzball, so I was too oblivious. Maybe the re-release of FFX is closer to the time when you jumped off from JRPGs that it would be an easier game to pick up.

I wish you luck on your quest, for it is a foolhardy one.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#191  Edited By Ace829

I'm looking forward to Xenoblade.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#192  Edited By Superkenon

A lot of JRPGs are garbage.

For that matter, lots of western releases are garbage too.

Just like with TV, movies, and books... if you care to find something you might like, you have to sift through all the crap first. But it's harder to do that if it's a genre you're not as familiar with. I've played enough JRPGs to know which ones to avoid, and which ones will appeal to me.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#193  Edited By Catolf
@Superkenon said:

A lot of JRPGs are garbage.

For that matter, lots of western releases are garbage too.

Just like with TV, movies, and books... if you care to find something you might like, you have to sift through all the crap first. But it's harder to do that if it's a genre you're not as familiar with. I've played enough JRPGs to know which ones to avoid, and which ones will appeal to me.

The truth. This topic is done! (or blog post)
jbrown08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By jbrown08

Wow, way more conversation generated by this topic than I expected. I'm writing up a fairly long response, but I'm currently limited to 5 posts per day, so it may be tomorrow before I get it up. Giant Bomb certainly is an active and passionate community.

Sorry for the Tales of Symphonia/Vesperia gaffe.

devitiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By devitiffany

I don't hate JRPGs, but I can say that in this day and age I really don't have the patience for turn based RPGs any more. I like stats and loot and all that stuff, but I'd rather it be used in something where I feel in control of the character like a Deus Ex, or Fallout or Torchlight. The only turn based stuff I can really stand is either something like Paper Mario where you have a bit more control with button presses and such, or it's a SRPG like Front Mission or something.

SirPhoebos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By SirPhoebos

I saw someone inquire if there were any games with a "character-driven story" a while back. I'd recommend playing Deadly Premonition if you can get past the graphics and gameplay being on par with last generation. The game really is more about learning about the character you control than the mystery he's attempting to solve. Horror games in general tend to be good examples of this, such as Silent Hill 2. EDIT: As for a "JRPG" that has more in common with its western cousins, check out Way of the Samurai 3.