Why is games for windows live so god damn bad?

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I bought red faction Guerrilla from steam for like a quarter, and it was all fine and dandy until I encountered this amazing software known as "games for windows live."
Not only is it the dumbest name for anything its like new super mario brothers wii, but never mind that. I was about to start the single player game when suddendly this message popped up saying "IF YOU WANT ACHIEVEMENTS SIGN IN HERE PLZ!". 

And let me get this straight I could not care less about xbox live achievements believe me I do enough of that in world of warcraft so dont come pestering me with your ridiculous gameplay lenghtening schemes microsoft and whoever else was involved in this retarded process.  

HOWEVER! it also said "by the way if you for some reason want to save your game you need to sign up aswell" which is when I throw my mouse into the god damn wall and start punching babies. Why? why do you do this to me microsoft? why torment me with your terrible software, I have been exposed to way too much of your "innovative software solutions" like microsoft access, the millenium OS, IE 7 (heck all the IE's are shit), word and Microsoft 3.0. WE ARE GIVING YOU OUR MONEY BUT YOU STILL WANT TO BOTHER US WITH THIS NONSENSE WHY?! 

But I am getting off on a tangent, lets focus. Ok so I said to myself F it I paid a quarter for this game there is no way in hell microsoft is going to keep me from playing it. so I started not only is it baffling besides the fact that I bought it off steam I have to enter a fucking Cd key, that being said valve once again has shown their brilliant genius and made this process helpful by displaying the code in the corner of the screen. so I did that and then of course it needs to be updated and by that they mean installed on my computer, great more crap on my hard drive thanks alot guys really appreciate it. However microsoft has somehow managed to fuck this ridiculously simple old as mud practice up in an extraordinary fashion. I am currently stuck at 99% on the download bar thingie which it has been for 2 hours and under it, it says.

"Dude do not turn of your computer or anything dumb like that seriously wtf man." 2 hours. 2 HOURS and yes my internet connection is working no firewalls or any bs like that its perfectly fine, 2 HOURS I COULD LEARN HOW TO PLAY CHESS I COULD LEARN LATIN OR JUMP OFF A FUCKING BRIDGE! I wonder if I get a achievement for it. 

Now to the point, I guess there really werent one just incredibly pissed off and I wanted to make everyone elses day as bad as mine and come with a warning whatever you do, do not, under any circumstances ever. download games for windows live, no matter what where how or why, dont. do. it. Trust me. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I think you can make an offline profile, I am not signed onto games for windows live online yet because I could careless about that. Games like gears of war and resident evil 5 is offline, it works and I can save.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Microsoft likes cash. So to cut down costs, they don't innovate, but rather copy as well as they can from other companies. Their not like Valve's Steam service, meaning they suck.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aeterna

Yes you can use an offline profile, it's kind of awkward to get to the create screen for that though, if memory serves to be correct. 
 I used to find it really annoying as well, but now I just auto-sign in to be done with it.

intoblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By intoblivion

Happend to me, I cried, ran into a couple of walls. Great game though!

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Driadon

Yeah, I hear that was a big patch but made frame rates much much better. And, yes, updates take a fucklong of time. But, really, that's the only issues I've had with it are how long these updates take. Making a Live account is quick and painless and by no means is a mouse-throwing experence unless you have the patience of the Angry German Kid.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Geno

As for GFWL, yeah you're pretty much right. Although it autologins once you've registered. 

As for the download issue, try pressing launch game. Sometimes it will display downloading but it's actually done. Also there's no problem in closing Steam and restarting or anything while downloading. I've done it a million times. 

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awesome the amazing update finally finished however small catch, error message have redownload the whole thing again. 
Which well gratz microsoft you have succesfully prevented me from playing red faction good going keep on doing gods work I guess.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By Willy105

You are exaggerating.

Sure, GFWL could have more features and games that support it, but so far it has been fine for me.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By 71Ranchero
@griefersstolemykeyboard said:
" 2 HOURS I COULD LEARN HOW TO PLAY CHESS I COULD LEARN LATIN OR JUMP OFF A FUCKING BRIDGE!"

You may want to try to learn English first.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Evilsbane

HEY! IE 7 was Ok! IE 8 on the other hand is a steaming pile of shit.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@BestUsernameEver said:

" Microsoft likes cash. So to cut down costs, they don't innovate, but rather copy as well as they can from other companies. Their not like Valve's Steam service, meaning they suck. "

they like cash...and yet a live id is free on pc...

P.S: oddly enough i've yet to have a problem with GFWL or any of the games, Viva pinata works fine, and tinker works fine, any updates if have to download have downloaded in about 30 seconds and installed just as quickly...I dont get why people have such problems with it.
Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" @BestUsernameEver said:
" Microsoft likes cash. So to cut down costs, they don't innovate, but rather copy as well as they can from other companies. Their not like Valve's Steam service, meaning they suck. "
they like cash...and yet a live id is free on pc... "
So is steam. Don't you think Microsoft gets a little cut just by putting out live from the games themselves?
crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By crusnchill
@griefersstolemykeyboard:

Chill out... I mean you're going to blow your top over a GFWL issue. There are more important thing's in life. Maybe, according to you, apparently not. 

Granted it is annoying when this sort of thing happen's, but the test of patience is to keep them in check when you're close to losing it. 
Go play with something/someone else while it is downloading and come back later. This way you're barely even waiting for it anymore since you're not staring at your screen just waiting for the download to finnish. 

Plus, you'll have had fun/been entertained, instead of got more and more frustrated.
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thecleric

This issue is pretty much exclusive to RF:G 

blame THQ for a bad port, not GFWL. The reason it takes so long is, for some idiotic porting reason, the menu in RF:G consumes all of your CPU

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Driadon
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" @BestUsernameEver said:

they like cash...and yet a live id is free on pc...  P.S: oddly enough i've yet to have a problem with GFWL or any of the games, Viva pinata works fine, and tinker works fine, any updates if have to download have downloaded in about 30 seconds and installed just as quickly...I dont get why people have such problems with it. "
It also depends on the size of the download. GFWL doesn't like 50MB+ patches, I've found.