Why is it that ALMOST every time...

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for dinocrisisfreak
dinocrisisfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dinocrisisfreak

Why is it that ALMOST every time someone brings up how games aren't as good as they used to be, which is true, some 12 year old kid says "oh you're just thinking about nostalgia, games are so much better now, look at Command & Conquer 4, that's so much better than StarCraft or Command & Conquer 1. At which point the argument is pointless since the twelve year old kid just proved how stupid he is. Now I'm not saying all games now suck, because they don't, we still get a gem or two released every now and then, but true innovation has died for the most part. And now developers make games specifically for the lowest common denominator, in other words they dumb everything down and make it so little kids understand them, instead of fans of the actual game franchise. They always take games, and they skewer them, so that there are no more genres anymore, only "wee explosions" type games. Sure, we do get a few great games like Alan Wake, Heavy Rain, Singularity, Metro 2033, and a couple other great games, but for the most part, everything sucks.

I know that some kid is going to reply to this thread and say something stupid like "but Modern Warfare 2 is the best game ever," and while he is entitled to his opinion, he is still wrong. It seems like ever since gaming went mainstream with this current generation, and game developers/publishers decided to switch to the console market and make games for the lowest common denominator, that's when gaming started to suck. It's not just nostalgia, it's the truth, games were made better back then, now everything is all about the graphics and the lowest common denominator. Someone in this thread will probably just say it's because of nostalgia or that I'm a retro gamer (which I am), but I don't care what you think.Well I just said my piece, I hope you enjoyed my informative post regarding the truth regarding game quality, or rather the lack there of this generation. Now go have a nice Friday. 
JDMan1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JDMan1313

Try harder next time.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

Umm. Huh?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By FancySoapsMan

why is it that I don't give a fuck

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777

I find that most games I loved as a kid don't hold up very well at all nowadays. Sure I have fond memories of them, but believe it or not game design has evolved for the better (well, mostly).  

Stuff that was fine back in the day is just monotonous and annoying nowadays. A prime example is random battles in RPG's. 

Just my 2 cents.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Vinchenzo

Uh, nostalgia is a bitch. I'm not saying MW2 is good, I'm just saying, for example, Goldeneye isn't good anymore (and never was, actually).

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LiquidSwords
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Troll. If you seriously can't find more than five games you like from this generation, you simply cannot be pleased, or you just have shitty taste in games.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By mazik765

No Caption Provided
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kingzetta

fart

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By toowalrus

I had more fun playing Bayonetta than I would have if I picked up Super Mario Bros 3 now. New games are better.

Avatar image for metalgeargeorge
MetalGearGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MetalGearGeorge

It is because most old games don't hold up very well. For example, since as a kid i only had a playstation 1 i had never played GoldenEye on the 64.  That was until i got the chance to play it last week at a friends house and all i've got to say is that the controls suck so much ass i only played for 5 minutes and then gave up.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho
@MetalGearGeorge said:
" It is because most old games don't hold up very well. For example, since as a kid i only had a playstation 1 i had never played GoldenEye on the 64.  That was until i got the chance to play it last week at a friends house and all i've got to say is that the controls suck so much ass i only played for 5 minutes and then gave up. "
You should try playing with friends next time, and maybe play longer than 5 minutes before delivering your peasant verdict.
MetalGearGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MetalGearGeorge
@ryanwho:  Dude didn't you read the part where i say i was at a friend's house?
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Another dick comment. What a fucking surprise.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when it comes to what someone thinks is "the best thing out there" (ex. games, music, etc.) nobody is really right or wrong because its THEIR opinion.  sure they might have different opinions than u, but maybe its cause they havent experienced the same thing you have, or simply have different tastes.  no need to go critisizing a 12 year old kid cause they really dont know any better.  well i do get what you mean....  i mean campaigns for games are so short lately but to be honest a 50 hour god of war game would be such a bitch...  and there wouldnt be enough gods to butcher.  i have a feeling you also hate more popular music too because lots of people like it and you listen to local indie bands that nobody cares/gives a fuck about because it "sets you apart from the others."  am i wrong?

dinocrisisfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dinocrisisfreak

The reason for games being not as good as they were is because human beings are generally stupid, and back in the 90s, gamers were generally very intelligent people, as they were typically geeks. However now that everyone and their grandma is a gamer, companies can get away with releasing really garbage, so called "AAA" titles.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ

But Modern Warfare 2 is the best game ever.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By huntad
@FluxWaveZ said:
" But Modern Warfare 2 is the best game ever. "
Agreed. Thead, done.
Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By Xanth93

Why is it that ALMOST every time someone brings up how games aren't as good as they used to be, I come across a thread like this? Oh wait, all the time.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By stinky

you never properly ended the 12 year old's quote so he went on talking for a long time, it got kinda weird. 

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Skytylz
@MetalGearGeorge: Don't worry ryan who is an ass.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Vinny_Says

hip hop went mainstream and started to blow, same goes with games I guess. People want to appeal to the largest crowd possible, and if most of them are "idiots" well too bad live with it.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Scrawnto

Troll harder. No one would argue that C&C 4 is better than StarCraft or even the old C&C games.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I was kinda with you until you said Heavy Rain was a great game.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By hockeymask27

Anyone else read that and have no idea what you just read?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryanwho
@MetalGearGeorge said:
" @ryanwho:  Dude didn't you read the part where i say i was at a friend's house? "
So your 5 minute experience was split between single player and multiplayer?
face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By face15
@dinocrisisfreak said:
"games aren't as good as they used to be"  
 "true innovation has died for"

The current generation of consoles is extremely expensive to develop for, so yes, the major game publishers don't take risks on new ideas very often. Instead they refine and improve the old formulas. This has two major benefits; firstly, that we are getting some of the best and most well polished games ever from established genres (ie. StarCraft II, Uncharted 2, Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise, and yes, Modern Warfare 2), and secondly, we are now seeing a increase in popularity in small downloadable indie games that push the medium to new interesting places.  (ie. Flower, Braid, Portal)

So actually, you're wrong on both your points.
MetalGearGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MetalGearGeorge
@ryanwho: Man are you trying hard...Dude i just talked about the freaking controls as an example. I didn't like them but i didn't say it wasn't a good game in general.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King

You do realize that by saying how gaming sucks now and that the old days were automatically awesome, you're making yourself just as stupid as those twelve year olds, right? Old games were still pretty damn uncreative; it's just that they were uncreative in different ways. Instead of space marine patriotism jerk off and linear anime cutscene fest, you had furry mascots jumping for collectibles and spaceships making bland aliens explode into power-ups. (I'm not trying to malign either era; I'm just pointing out the some of the lows of both.)

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By ESREVER

The games were awesome then, and the games are awesome now.  
End verdict: Games are awesome, and are becoming more awesome as time passes due to better technology and support for the medium. 

Awesome

dinocrisisfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dinocrisisfreak
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
" when it comes to what someone thinks is "the best thing out there" (ex. games, music, etc.) nobody is really right or wrong because its THEIR opinion.  sure they might have different opinions than u, but maybe its cause they havent experienced the same thing you have, or simply have different tastes.  no need to go critisizing a 12 year old kid cause they really dont know any better.  well i do get what you mean....  i mean campaigns for games are so short lately but to be honest a 50 hour god of war game would be such a bitch...  and there wouldnt be enough gods to butcher.  i have a feeling you also hate more popular music too because lots of people like it and you listen to local indie bands that nobody cares/gives a fuck about because it "sets you apart from the others."  am i wrong? "
I do hate most new music now that you mention it. What the hell is up with this Justin Beiber, Hannah Montana, Kesha, and all of this rapper stuff? Whatever happened to real music?
MetalGearGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MetalGearGeorge
@ESREVER: Your post is Awesome.
dinocrisisfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dinocrisisfreak

I personally would take some of the B-rated 90s games over the current gen games.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By AhmadMetallic

poor 12 yr olds, they get all the shit talk

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

AAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNDDDDDD Flagged.

dinocrisisfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dinocrisisfreak

A huge thing with modern games is that they have no replay value, are really short, and are typically one-play charlies. Most major modern games are FPS games and are MP-focused. I still play games from the late 90s all the time. Hell, I've logged sveral thousand of hours of StarCraft and hundreds of hours for other games. The ONLY game I can see real replay value in this generation is Alan Wake.

Little Bobby says: Modern Warfare 2
I say: Tribes 2

Little Bobby says: Command & Conquer 4
I say: Total Annihilation

Little Bobby says: Chromehounds
I say: MechWarrior

Little Bobby says: Rainbow Six Vegas
I say: Rogue Spear

Little Bobby says: Resident Evil 5
I say: Resident Evil

Little Bobby says: Metal Gear Solid 4
I say: Metal Gear Solid

Little Bobby says: Fallout: New Vegas
I say: Diablo

Little Bobby says: Mass Effect
I say: Final Fantasy VII

Little Bobby says: Civilization IV
I say: Civilization II

Little Bobby says: RuneScape
I say: EverQuest

Little Bobby says: Medal of Honor (2010)
I say: Medal of Honor

Little Bobby says: Halo
I say: Quake

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kingzetta
@dinocrisisfreak said:
"  A huge thing with modern games is that they have no replay value, are really short, and are typically one-play charlies. Most major modern games are FPS games and are MP-focused. I still play games from the late 90s all the time. Hell, I've logged sveral thousand of hours of StarCraft and hundreds of hours for other games. The ONLY game I can see real replay value in this generation is Alan Wake. "
Of all the games to pick you pick Alan Wake to have the most replay value?
What are you smoking? old games were shorter and had less replay value and that's a fact.
Since saved games had not been invented yet, games were made to be 20 minutes long or shorter.
And password systems were horseshit.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By Animasta
@ryanwho said:
" @MetalGearGeorge said:
" It is because most old games don't hold up very well. For example, since as a kid i only had a playstation 1 i had never played GoldenEye on the 64.  That was until i got the chance to play it last week at a friends house and all i've got to say is that the controls suck so much ass i only played for 5 minutes and then gave up. "
You should try playing with friends next time, and maybe play longer than 5 minutes before delivering your peasant verdict. "
nope, I played that shit all the time in middle school but it just doesn't hold up anymore
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By blackbird415
@LiquidSwords said:
"
"

HAHAHAHAHHAHA I love that show.

I do tend to agree on some level, but it more has to do with art direction and style. I am a huge fan of the blade runner gritty cyberpunk style scifi which the last game I can recall had that was deus ex really. Half life to me I love, but is a different type of scifi still. What Id like to see is the 90s style of the scifi genre of games to come back. Westerns are also a thing I believe has had so much potential, but has seldom been touched as a set piece. As a person hoping to enter the games industry from an artistic level that I can bring back and change games to fit what games in the 90s did right.
iek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iek

god forbid innovation slows down as time goes on

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jmfinamore
@dinocrisisfreak: I don't understand the argument that a dense, obtuse, and cumbersome experience makes for a better game.  

But different strokes for different folks.  
cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By cjmabry
@dinocrisisfreak: My question is, why is it a big deal that people have different opinions than you. I like sushi. You don't? F YOU MAN! F YOU! 

Seriously, games are not objective. A game cannot be factually better than another game. If I think Modern Warfare 2 is the greatest game ever, then that's my opinion. Go clean out your diaper and try again.
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By blackbird415
@cjmabry said:
" @dinocrisisfreak: My question is, why is it a big deal that people have different opinions than you. I like sushi. You don't? F YOU MAN! F YOU!  Seriously, games are not subjective. A game cannot be factually better than another game. If I think Modern Warfare 2 is the greatest game ever, then that's my opinion. Go clean out your diaper and try again. "
uuummm you mean they are subjective
cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cjmabry
@blackbird415: Woopsies. Thank ye kind sir.
Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Subjugation
@dinocrisisfreak said:

"  A huge thing with modern games is that they have no replay value, are really short, and are typically one-play charlies. Most major modern games are FPS games and are MP-focused. I still play games from the late 90s all the time. Hell, I've logged sveral thousand of hours of StarCraft and hundreds of hours for other games. The ONLY game I can see real replay value in this generation is Alan Wake.    Little Bobby says: Modern Warfare 2I say: Tribes 2Little Bobby says: Command & Conquer 4I say: Total AnnihilationLittle Bobby says: ChromehoundsI say: MechWarriorLittle Bobby says: Rainbow Six VegasI say: Rogue SpearLittle Bobby says: Resident Evil 5I say: Resident EvilLittle Bobby says: Metal Gear Solid 4I say: Metal Gear SolidLittle Bobby says: Fallout: New VegasI say: DiabloLittle Bobby says: Mass EffectI say: Final Fantasy VIILittle Bobby says: Civilization IVI say: Civilization IILittle Bobby says: RuneScapeI say: EverQuestLittle Bobby says: Medal of Honor (2010)I say: Medal of HonorLittle Bobby says: HaloI say: Quake "

Seriously? You copypasta'd a Youtube comment?

There are good games and bad games with every generation. Always has been, always will be. Generalizations and blanket statements just make you look stupid though.
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Enigma777
@dinocrisisfreak said:
"  A huge thing with modern games is that they have no replay value, are really short, and are typically one-play charlies. Most major modern games are FPS games and are MP-focused. I still play games from the late 90s all the time. Hell, I've logged sveral thousand of hours of StarCraft and hundreds of hours for other games. The ONLY game I can see real replay value in this generation is Alan Wake.    Little Bobby says: Modern Warfare 2I say: Tribes 2Little Bobby says: Command & Conquer 4I say: Total AnnihilationLittle Bobby says: ChromehoundsI say: MechWarriorLittle Bobby says: Rainbow Six VegasI say: Rogue SpearLittle Bobby says: Resident Evil 5I say: Resident EvilLittle Bobby says: Metal Gear Solid 4I say: Metal Gear SolidLittle Bobby says: Fallout: New VegasI say: DiabloLittle Bobby says: Mass EffectI say: Final Fantasy VIILittle Bobby says: Civilization IVI say: Civilization IILittle Bobby says: RuneScapeI say: EverQuestLittle Bobby says: Medal of Honor (2010)I say: Medal of HonorLittle Bobby says: HaloI say: Quake "
LMAO! 

That's quite a list of the "top" current gen games.
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By blackbird415
@cjmabry: 

Oh no problem good sir. 
I got what you were trying to say. 

I will say I do agree with you
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#49  Edited By ESREVER
@dinocrisisfreak said:
I'm not one for insulting people, but that comment was really dumb. I don't know why you felt the need to edit that and add in that "little bobby" fiasco. You really aren't helping your argument.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By Jeust
@face15 said:

" @dinocrisisfreak said:

"games aren't as good as they used to be"  

"true innovation has died for"

The current generation of consoles is extremely expensive to develop for, so yes, the major game publishers don't take risks on new ideas very often. Instead they refine and improve the old formulas. This has two major benefits; firstly, that we are getting some of the best and most well polished games ever from established genres (ie. StarCraft II, Uncharted 2, Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise, and yes, Modern Warfare 2), and secondly, we are now seeing a increase in popularity in small downloadable indie games that push the medium to new interesting places.  (ie. Flower, Braid, Portal) So actually, you're wrong on both your points. "
This started saying what I'd like to transmit, but it went elsewhere. 

Games nowadays are expensive to develop, what makes the number of possible developers of big titles lower than before. Also like it said, developers, even because of the crisis, aren't risking in what can constitute a possible liability. That creates a market with a lot of generic games and sequels.  

Arguably it was better in prior generations, still the industry is striving with great quality in the downloadable and indie markets. So not all is bad.