Why is there nothing about the Bombathon on the home page?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

As this is apparently a huge sub drive, it seems weird that I stumbled across the announcement on the Youtube algorithm

Surely this is more front page material than an album review?

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Because, as much as I love Giant Bomb, the website itself is organizationally in shambles. And that's on top of communication never having been GB's strong suit.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Never heard of it. Thanks!

Loading Video...

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I saw the teaser on Instagram. I never thought I'd see the day where GB's Instagram were more on top of things than the website itself, but alas ...

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Wait, using a browser to go directly to a company's website? Sounds like something only folk with a subscription to said site would ever do ;)

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Efesell

This is as ever one of my eternal pet peeves with the site that no one seems interested in addressing.

Follow everyone on Twitter and listen to every podcast and occasionally I guess you’ll know what the site is doing at any given time.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's pretty ridiculous that I'm hearing about this for the first time on a forum post. I'm not, like, super annoyed or anything, but I should not be compelled to be on social media or find the time to listen to a 2+ hour podcast to know what's going on with this website when I'm a paying subscriber.

...granted I've got no time to watch this anyway and at this point should probably just cancel my subscription because I am barely using any premium features anymore, but it's the principle of the thing, dammit!

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SethMode

@efesell: Yeah, I'm even mostly a fan of the new direction and this is nuts. I fell off for a couple of weeks and in that time also got rid of the major social media outlets so now I feel like if I ever miss a Bombcast that's it, I'll never know what's happening. It's such a wild thing that has been justifiably complained about for literally a third of my life.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@sethmode: It reminds me of the days of surprise live streams with an hour's notice. Of course, in those days, regularly scheduled streams usually started about half an hour late also.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hey not sure why the video wasn't uploaded to the site but I'll try to get it up there!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

And more generally I've definitely heard that people on-site have not been feeling like they're quite in the know about the goings-on that are more easily blasted through the socials and stuff. That's mostly on me for trying to be in like twelve places at once lately. I know Vinny had his forum thread that he updated every once in a while with stories from around the site; let me see if I can revive that tradition.

TurtleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: It reminds me of the days of surprise live streams with an hour's notice. Of course, in those days, regularly scheduled streams usually started about half an hour late also.

Big marketing difference between a surprise live stream of people playing Warlords vs something that looks like it’s being positioned as the spiritual successor to the Big Live Live Show…

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie add the Giant Bomb twitter feed to the homepage

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@rorie: A forum thread is useful, but it feels like a band-aid. I know there isn't much you guys can do with the current site format, but it needs a full on overhaul that tells people whats upcoming right front-and-center.

That said, I very much appreciate what you do and how communicative you are, Rorie, and reviving the forum thread would still be a good step in lieu of a total site redesign!

stealydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not ideal that we are almost required to visit often-toxic outside platforms in order to know when cool, new things are happening on a site that we pay a subscription for. Blasting socials is not enough.

The fact that the most prominent spot on the home page is dedicated to showcasing something that has already happened, rather than advertising a livestream that will happen soon, is one place I think a significant improvement could be made.

The schedule page is definitely a step in the right direction, though. That has been super handy.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The current design of the site seems to feed into this continuing lack of communication. The main featured spot is always a recent video and it was a major oversight during the most recent redesign to build the site in this way. Major announcements and communication/information was clearly not even considered in the redesign.

I hope a new look for the giant bomb website will address this continuing issue.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By htr10

@rorie:

You do a great job, Rorie. The community very much appreciates all you do.

Sometimes it’s hard for people to keep up with goings-on because there are a lot of goings-on. That’s a good thing in my opinion.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I mostly know that something is happening when my phone app tells me the site has gone live or that a Twitch stream has started. At least now there is an app, back in the day you didn't even have that. I'm holding out hope for the next site redesign whenever that happens. With the current state of things it just is what it is - I mean this complaint has been around for years. I suggested a pinned thread for ages and then when Vinny finally made one that didn't really stick for too long and then Vinny left. A thread on the message boards isn't really a great way to inform the wider public of things either way but like it has been said above, it's at least a bandaid.

dijidiji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was this recorded? I'd be bummed if timezone differences meant I missed out on this completely.

ampillion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dijidiji: It's at least currently still in the Twitch VODs, I'm sure it'll be back up on the site soon enough too.

VectortheAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rorie: The schedule is an excellent start and I would like to see either site goings-ons added to that or another article posted beside it. I rarely ever check the forum but having that on the front page would be extremely useful.

chiefbeef123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By chiefbeef123

I didn't even know it was happening until I saw the final video posted today, but I rarely check this site anymore (mostly due to work but also because I care about video games, not internet culture minutia that I already get way too much of on Twitter)