Why the lazyness in the industry?

KingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Edited By KingX

I don't like the gaming industry that much right now, the ps3 are capable of handling more powerfull stuff than the 360, there are games out there that prooves it, and IM getting tired of hearing ppl "well u know.. the hardware is more tricky to handle" ok, maybe it is, but if u can't handle the hardware then don't bother to release the game at all OR lower the price, don't expect me to pay fullprice when YOU as a developer haven't used the hardware all the way, if you have problems learning, then ask those that KNOW how it works. There are games out that proves that many many talented man and women knows how to handle the hardware on both the 360 and ps3 as much as possible! Learn from them, I want the best for each console as a console gamer, I don't care what the gaming industry has to say about that; I buy their games, and I expect them to actually USE the hardware on eachconsole as much as possible or dont make the game at all! 

KingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By KingX

I don't like the gaming industry that much right now, the ps3 are capable of handling more powerfull stuff than the 360, there are games out there that prooves it, and IM getting tired of hearing ppl "well u know.. the hardware is more tricky to handle" ok, maybe it is, but if u can't handle the hardware then don't bother to release the game at all OR lower the price, don't expect me to pay fullprice when YOU as a developer haven't used the hardware all the way, if you have problems learning, then ask those that KNOW how it works. There are games out that proves that many many talented man and women knows how to handle the hardware on both the 360 and ps3 as much as possible! Learn from them, I want the best for each console as a console gamer, I don't care what the gaming industry has to say about that; I buy their games, and I expect them to actually USE the hardware on eachconsole as much as possible or dont make the game at all! 

DEllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By DEllen

Multiplatform games are hardly changed for the ps3, primarily due to it being development time that only counts towards a portion of the sales. It's business not lazyness.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By owl_of_minerva
Except that you need a team to handle each release for any console you're making the game on, and games cost a ton of money to make as is. Smaller companies might not bother to go multiplat at all. The rough and ready ports come from it costing too much and generally making too little a difference to matter. Sony is harder to develop for, so unless it's a Sony-exclusive company, multiplatform developers frankly don't care as those who only have a PS3 won't have a choice anyway. Also, why would a Sony-aligned company go out of its way to help another developer make games for the system? It's a business, not a charity.   
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Jadeskye

No point utilising additional resources (specifically time and money) to achieve higher graphical levels on one platform when it'll bring in the same revenue. 

Bad business.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Jeust

And  you're being harsh. For taking advantage of the PS3 it would take much more time and money, and the profits they would take if they did that wouldn't make it viable. Game development isn't easy and there are schedules to keep. The games that you see really shinning on the ps3 are the exclusives, and they are financed in part by Sony.  

So there is your answer. Sorry to say but you come off as a bit of a fanboy, power doesn't mean anything is you don't know how to use it. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jimbo

PS3 exclusives rarely sell enough copies to justify it, unless you're owned by Sony.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By davidwitten22

I think what he's referencing is mostly games like Bayonetta that are ported to the PS3 and are horribly glitched and broken, much like my copy of UFC Undisputed 2009 is plagued with slowdown and stuttering that never happened when I played it on 360. I doesn't have to look better, but it needs to be competent. Frame rate issues are unacceptable.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I agree with you but the industry is all about taking as few risks as possible, so that is one of the reasons and a business is a business.

Jaxboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Jaxboy

A game does not require great graphics  to be good.  Great graphics are simply a bonus.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Ps3 exclusives = cell processor effects + 256 gpu split architure = exclusive style graphics = not as much memory for textures compared to xbox360 = why you are seeing stronger multiplatform games on the xbox360 = 10% of games looks better exclusive wise at 720p on the ps3  

Xbox360 = not alot of cpu power or any at all + 512mb shared memory not split + powerful gpu = enough memory for multiplatform games and textures, less powerful exclusives because it has no effects (cell) processor = 90% of games looks better multiplatform wise  

industry = money = xbox360 is easiler to program for is is selling the most = no use of a cell processor multiplatform wise which = time and extra money = made on xbox360 first, ported to the ps3 second and pc third = no effort to use the cell processor style of graphics = pc, xbox360 are strongest versions gpu wise and memory = not lazy, rather that's the reality.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Cube
@Jimbo said:
" PS3 exclusives rarely sell enough copies to justify it, unless you're owned by Sony. "
Yeah, just look at MGS4, Resistance, and Ratchet & Clank. Those games just don't sell.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jeust
@Cube said:

" @Jimbo said:

" PS3 exclusives rarely sell enough copies to justify it, unless you're owned by Sony. "

Yeah, just look at MGS4, Resistance, and Ratchet & Clank. Those games just don't sell. "
Compared to multi-platform games they don't sell well. And as they take longer to develop, it isn't viable for most developers.  People are also envious in nature most of the times, and if a game looked considerably better on the ps3, many users would discard the xbox game as being useless or broken, much like what it happened with Bayonetta on the PS3, and wouldn't also sell as much. So they go with pleasing the majority. 
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cube
@Jeust: ...So a game sells better on 2-3 platforms versus on one? 

This is some shocking news. 
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ninjakiller

Oh Sweden...I thought for a second you were a troll.  

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EdIsCool

as a programmer I can tell you that multi threaded programming is the most bloody awful work someone can do. I find 2 cores hard, 8 cores is insane, Sony made a mistake with its architecture decision. Its a really powerful machine but decent threading libraries are only just arriving.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeust
@Cube said:

" @Jeust: ...So a game sells better on 2-3 platforms versus on one?  This is some shocking news.  "

Glad to see you shocked. lol 
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EdIsCool

3 seems to be a good sweet spot for devs, as they are used to quads on PC

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By EpicSteve

Less people own a PS3 so more games will be developed for the 360. It's easy to understand. If you had 70 million to make a game, wouldn't be in your best interest to spend that money in ways that'll make the most profit? Keep in mind this is a business. These developers aren't getting together to make a fun happy project for kicks a giggles, they're making a product to produce money. This is why exclusives are few and far between and the days of going out to get a new graphics card to run the new bit PC games are pretty much over.

Also, everything has a budget and a set amount of time to get everything accomplished. You don't see every movie release having great writing and A-list actors for that reason. Making shit is also hard.

RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RoujinX

"Why the lazyness in the industry? "

@KingX:

Ironically, you misspelled laziness.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By toowalrus

It seems like the original poster doesn't understand how difficult, expensive and time consuming making a video game is.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cube
@Jeust: The thing is, it's not about selling as much as multiplatform games, it's selling enough to be viable. With the right circumstances games can sell well exclusively, look at Demons Souls and Valkyria Chronicles. 

Will you make more money going multi? Absolutely, but it's not so set in stone that going exclusive is not profitable. 
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@Cube:  True, but they were developed with the Japanese market primarily in mind and it's not really a multiplat HD market there.
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mazik765

Ok OP. I'm sure it's that easy, I'm glad you, in all your years of experience in the gaming industry have enlightened my ignorance.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@Jeust said:
" @Cube said:

" @Jeust: ...So a game sells better on 2-3 platforms versus on one?  This is some shocking news.  "

Glad to see you shocked. lol  "
That doesn't sound right lol. :P
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By Binman88

Indeed a lot of developers are lazy, but I'm more inclined to think they are lazy with story telling and actual gameplay, more so than graphics.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@jadeskye said:
" No point utilising additional resources (specifically time and money) to achieve higher graphical levels on one platform when it'll bring in the same revenue.  Bad business. "
This man speaks sense. People are happy to pay for the content as it currently stands - and it takes a lot of people a long time to make it. It's hard enough making a profit on software already in this economic climate, look at all the companies gone bankrupt over the past few years. People can't really afford to take risks.
Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lowbrow
@TooWalrus said:
" It seems like the original poster doesn't understand how difficult, expensive and time consuming making a video game is. "
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jimbo
@Cube said:
" @Jimbo said:
Yeah, just look at MGS4, Resistance, and Ratchet & Clank. Those games just don't sell. "
So 'rarely', like I said.  Resistance only sold because it was a launch game, and Ratchet & Clank only sold a couple million units, which is decent but hardly mindblowing.  Sales of PS3 exclusives compared to 360 exclusives are a joke.  If PS3 owners went out and bought copies of Uncharted 2 in the numbers that 360 owners bought Gears 1 or 2 (not to mention Halo), then more developers would be inclined to 'put the extra effort in' and fulfill the PS3's extra potential.  PS3 owners simply do not buy games in the quantities that 360 owners do.
KingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KingX

This is not some taking sides, even exclusive games on both systems can look better than they do, so this is not a "only ps3" related issue! We still pay the bloody money for the machines and we pay the money for the games - its nothing wrong with feeling a bit ripped off when the games don't live up to the standard we know the consoles can! 

and I know its buisness, money is more important than the final result even in the gaming industry nowdays, its the same everywhere, mobilephones that are "outdated" within a year etc. that's not because all things develop so fast, its becuase they don't want consumers to have the "best" there is right away, since we wouldn't buy so much knew crap all the time. This has affected the gaming industry aswell! Nowdays more and more games, exclusive or multi quite often don't really come up to the standards at least I want to see.

@EdIsCool

said:

" as a programmer I can tell you that multi threaded programming is the most bloody awful work someone can do. I find 2 cores hard, 8 cores is insane, Sony made a mistake with its architecture decision. Its a really powerful machine but decent threading libraries are only just arriving. "

then learn or don't develop for the console at all, it works in other industries, just becuase you are a nurse, and good at it, don't justify it to become a doctor and not be able to do that work so well, and this is not to look down at your job, I bet u are a good programmer but u might be better working on the 360 than on the ps3, I don't care if sony looses money if games stopped being made, Im the consumer I only care for the endresult, and today Im not always getting what Im paying for.  Work with the machine u can the best and make the most out of it that's my tip as a consumer, NOT as a fan of either Microshaft or $sony :D 
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EdIsCool
@KingX said:
" This is not some taking sides, even exclusive games on both systems can look better than they do, so this is not a "only ps3" related issue! We still pay the bloody money for the machines and we pay the money for the games - its nothing wrong with feeling a bit ripped off when the games don't live up to the standard we know the consoles can! 

and I know its buisness, money is more important than the final result even in the gaming industry nowdays, its the same everywhere, mobilephones that are "outdated" within a year etc. that's not because all things develop so fast, its becuase they don't want consumers to have the "best" there is right away, since we wouldn't buy so much knew crap all the time. This has affected the gaming industry aswell! Nowdays more and more games, exclusive or multi quite often don't really come up to the standards at least I want to see.

@EdIsCool

said:

" as a programmer I can tell you that multi threaded programming is the most bloody awful work someone can do. I find 2 cores hard, 8 cores is insane, Sony made a mistake with its architecture decision. Its a really powerful machine but decent threading libraries are only just arriving. "

then learn or don't develop for the console at all, it works in other industries, just becuase you are a nurse, and good at it, don't justify it to become a doctor and not be able to do that work so well, and this is not to look down at your job, I bet u are a good programmer but u might be better working on the 360 than on the ps3, I don't care if sony looses money if games stopped being made, Im the consumer I only care for the endresult, and today Im not always getting what Im paying for.  Work with the machine u can the best and make the most out of it that's my tip as a consumer, NOT as a fan of either Microshaft or $sony :D  "
sadly the games industry is a business, a publisher will want to sell to the whole audience(unless heavily incentivised not to) they will hire a dev team, the dev team they hire will be the cheapest team that the publisher can get which will make an acceptable game. The dev team have to eat so they make the game. The publisher is not interested in paying for a team with enough people who can handle lots of threading as it s a rare skill and the people who possess it want a lot of money to perform their dark art.  The public will accept an ok PS3 version (they keep buying them), the publisher is not incentivised to spend more money just to ensure a good version on both systems. 

Developers dont really get to choose what they develop for.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ProfessorEss

Tunes change when shoes are reversed.

People need to start "expecting" less and start dealing with what is put in from of them.
It's not laziness for a company to say something isn't worth the investment, it's intelligence.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By Astras
@KingX said:
" I don't like the gaming industry that much right now, the ps3 are capable of handling more powerfull stuff than the 360, there are games out there that prooves it, and IM getting tired of hearing ppl "well u know.. the hardware is more tricky to handle" ok, maybe it is, but if u can't handle the hardware then don't bother to release the game at all OR lower the price, don't expect me to pay fullprice when YOU as a developer haven't used the hardware all the way, if you have problems learning, then ask those that KNOW how it works. There are games out that proves that many many talented man and women knows how to handle the hardware on both the 360 and ps3 as much as possible! Learn from them, I want the best for each console as a console gamer, I don't care what the gaming industry has to say about that; I buy their games, and I expect them to actually USE the hardware on eachconsole as much as possible or dont make the game at all!  "
Was just wandering if you realised that the gaming industry is designed to extract the maximum amount of money from your wallet while implementing the lowest possible production costs although some companies do care about making good games (CCP, Bioware, Bestheda etc)
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33  Edited By damnboyadvance

Not as many people own a PS3. It doesn't matter what the capabilities are. While some people will take advantage of it and invest in it, others prefer to keep their money safe.

KingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KingX
@EdIsCool:  yeah IM fuly aware of how buisness works nowdays, its the same all over.. this blog entry is just my personal feelings, as I still thinks its a shame.

@Astras said:
" @KingX said:
" I don't like the gaming industry that much right now, the ps3 are capable of handling more powerfull stuff than the 360, there are games out there that prooves it, and IM getting tired of hearing ppl "well u know.. the hardware is more tricky to handle" ok, maybe it is, but if u can't handle the hardware then don't bother to release the game at all OR lower the price, don't expect me to pay fullprice when YOU as a developer haven't used the hardware all the way, if you have problems learning, then ask those that KNOW how it works. There are games out that proves that many many talented man and women knows how to handle the hardware on both the 360 and ps3 as much as possible! Learn from them, I want the best for each console as a console gamer, I don't care what the gaming industry has to say about that; I buy their games, and I expect them to actually USE the hardware on eachconsole as much as possible or dont make the game at all!  "
Was just wandering if you realised that the gaming industry is designed to extract the maximum amount of money from your wallet while implementing the lowest possible production costs although some companies do care about making good games (CCP, Bioware, Bestheda etc) "

of course therer are companies that makes the most out of they have! and Im glad for it, totally glad! its just as a gamer that has been around since the commodre64 now I can tell without lying that the games was more often in the past much moer well done thatn many games today, sure we have better graphics etc. but its not that they go all the way anylonger as they used in the past, of course this has much to do with the fact that money is much more important than the quality of the product today, for many companies - we see it everywhere, mobilephones, tv's etc. They don't make the best tv's if they DID we would not buy another one in 2 yrs time and they know this, sadly this behaviour has come into the gaming industry aswell which is sad.. becuase there are so many games out here that could have been AWSOME but instead we are just given a few awsome games each year.
and Im not trying to bash down on the smaller companies that work the best they can with the equipment they got. Im talking about those that actually put out games that seems to be not really ready for shipment, I'll called it lazyness but I realize now that I should have called it "profithunger" :D
234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By 234r2we232

The people in the industry work their butts off and receive little thanks from cretins such as yourself, and I'd hazard a guess and say they work harder than you, so this topic makes me quite sad. As far as I'm aware, most developing studios produce multi-platform because they're instructed to by publishers, because it will make them money which ENABLES THE GAME TO BE MADE. It should not be left as the developers fault that Sony is failing at being a video game platform due to their inability to provide for those who want to develop for their console. If you want to point the finger and blame so badly, I suggest giving Sony a call.

@Astras said

Was just wandering if you realised that the gaming industry is designed to extract the maximum amount of money from your wallet while implementing the lowest possible production costs although some companies do care about making good games (CCP, Bioware, Bestheda etc) "

You're making my head hurt, this is just silly. But, I'm sure *insert name of your favourite studios here* appreciate your support.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ProfessorEss
@KingX said:
...as a gamer that has been around since the commodre64 now I can tell without lying that the games was more often in the past much moer well done...
I think most people are lookin back on this stuff through rose-tinted glasses. They weren't better made back then, we just weren't so nit-picky.
Games were plagued with flashing sprites, framerate issues, game crashing bugs and all same the types of things that today's games suffer.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

As someone who is working towards getting a job in the games industry I despise when people say that games developers are lazy. There are so many people out there who want to make games and the companies hire only the most dedicated and talented people. Here in the UK only the top 1% of games programmers actually get a job in the industry and I do know two people who have previously worked for big-name companies. If there's a problem with a game it's much more likely to be because the studio didn't have the time and/or money, not because all their employees decided to take every Wednesday off.

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mono_Listo

Have I already responded? I forget. Anyways, in the console world the hardware means little, it's all about the SDK and how well development skills at large translate to a given console. And also how much a given development studio spends on developers that are skilled in a given platform - or how much they outsource that work. And those things are typically driven by external business decisions (the 360 has a large user base, so more money is spent there).

Sony kind of fucked itself in the ass during the first two years of this generation. They're catching up now, but I would not expect to ever see the PS3 get more quality exclusives or better performing cross platform games this generation. And again, that has nothing to do with the hardware itself, because any objective observer realizes that the 360 is inferior in many ways. And, again, that doesn't really account for shit.

I said "and again" et al a lot. I'm drunk and therefore uncreative right now.