Why Videogames, why?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Devil240Z

I feel like I spend more time reading about videogames and searching for new ones to play than actually playing them. Its kind of rare that a game will hold my interest for more than a few hours. I wish there were some drug I could take to make me more into videogames, I feel like I have a sickness that needs to be cured. And dont say weed, thats not what I was talking about. I'm legitimately concerned that I'm losing touch with the only hobby I have ever loved.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

I feel like I spend more time reading about videogames and searching for new ones to play than actually playing them. Its kind of rare that a game will hold my interest for more than a few hours. I wish there were some drug I could take to make me more into videogames, I feel like I have a sickness that needs to be cured. And dont say weed, thats not what I was talking about. I'm legitimately concerned that I'm losing touch with the only hobby I have ever loved.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

That is the problem I had. I used to read about games all the time, but now I don't care about reading any (except Watchdogs). I have started playing games again, from Steam, and realised that not playing them and spending that time on the internet instead was not as enjoyable.

M_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By M_33

I'm kind of having that problem. It's been a really long time since I just sat down and played through something and simply enjoyed it for what it is. The only things that seem to be able to keep my attention now are fighting games, which I sink countless hours into. Maybe I've gotten overly critical about games, maybe I've just developed a really short attention span, who knows.

Avatar image for divineshadow777
DivineShadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By DivineShadow777

I honestly have no idea how you couldn't love video games. Maybe you need to branch out and try new type's of games or try a new series. Maybe get a new system or if your really crazy/desperate to rekindle your love for games. Get 300$ go out to a game store and but spend all that money completely on impulse and see if you can find at least one new game you can love.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only game I really play is starcraft 2. I might play another game every other weekend if I find the time. Every now and again a game catches my attention on steam though.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Devil240Z

@M_33 said:

I'm kind of having that problem. It's been a really long time since I just sat down and played through something and simply enjoyed it for what it is. The only things that seem to be able to keep my attention now are fighting games, which I sink countless hours into. Maybe I've gotten overly critical about games, maybe I've just developed a really short attention span, who knows.

Yup, For me I'm basically waiting for a new gran turismo game to come. I play GT5 consistently a few times a week.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28
deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I don't have a ton of free time for video games anymore, so I only really get into a game during holidays, when I've got lots of free time. I tend to play the smaller games a lot more now - KSP is fun to pop into and play after work, since I can play it and chat online at the same time, but games with intense stories, or games that require a ton of dedication (Skyrim, for example), are game that might be fun for a holiday, but I doubt I'll ever go back to them once the holiday is over. I've done that with games like Mass Effect, Saints Row 2 & 3, Assassin's Creed 1, about half of Assassin's Creed 2, and some others that I'm forgetting. Of course, I haven't played Skyrim, but I know that people claim it eats up a lot of your time, so if I do play it, it'll be during a holiday.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PillClinton

I was kinda getting this way too, so I took a nice break from basically all videogames for about a couple months-ish (which was quite easy during this summer drought). Now I'm back in it with Darksiders II and it has me hooked in that excited, don't-want-to-stop kind of way.

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Willtron

@DivineShadow777 said:

I honestly have no idea how you couldn't love video games. Maybe you need to branch out and try new type's of games or try a new series. Maybe get a new system or if your really crazy/desperate to rekindle your love for games. Get 300$ go out to a game store and but spend all that money completely on impulse and see if you can find at least one new game you can love.

Sure. Let me just pull three hundred dollars out of my ass--oh wait, I need to pay rent and buy groceries.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

It gets like that for me at times. The sickness will be cured as soon as devs release awesome games in rapid succession.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, I have to remember that gaming is a hobby, not a profession. I shouldn't be compelled to complete them for the sake of completing them. That sucks all the fun out of it. So I just let it go for a bit, read about the stuff, but don't force myself to start playing again. Util I remember why I find the damn hobby to be so much fun. And then I'm back in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5945386c8a570
deactivated-5945386c8a570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like video editing which takes my time, but i have to try and make some for all the games that are waiting for me, feels like i dont ever have enough time to get around and really play anymore.

Avatar image for divineshadow777
DivineShadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DivineShadow777

@Willtron: Sorry. Just that I always keep 1,000$ saved up do do stupid or impulsive stuff with if I ever need to.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By artofwar420

It's part of the hobby I think. I enjoy reading news and stuff about video games as much as playing them.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Brenderous

I probably read about them more than I play them, but I like reading about them too, so it's all good. But It's not like I don't still play a lot of video games. I have a loooooot of Civ V and Endless Space hours logged.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Joeyoe31

Well yeah but that's because I follow the mentality of "I play games when I want to" not "all the time". Playing video games all the time is a good way to hate video games. Reading about video games takes almost no effort, and is a good way to pass time when you don't feel like playing games.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By frankfartmouth

Hobbies change. I know a lot of people who've done the same thing with playing guitar, golf, sailing, you name it. Sometimes your interest wanes. You need to just go where it's taking you. Don't force yourself to play video games right now if you don't really feel like it. Take a break. It doesn't mean you're necessarily growing out of it or anything. You might just be burned out on them a bit. I had to quit playing Skyrim for months because the side quests were all starting to blend together, and the strings were starting to show. So I just quit and came back to it months later, and now I'm really enjoying it again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's called growing up and realizing there are more important things in life, but still having the lingering fond memories of videos. I still play games sometimes, but I'm in the same boat. I find reading/listening about video games more interesting than actually playing them lately.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

There's nothing wrong with having an interest in the industry itself and the stories within it. They're still stories about people. If the games themselves are video game history, then following the industry and the stories that drive it is video game anthropology.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

i know that, i do that also. i feel it might be the games. i got gta 3 and enjoyed it and could play that game for hours but other games i can't.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By supamon

Hey at least the stories and news are sometimes interesting. I mean, imagine if you were into vegetables!

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By DoctorWelch

It's the old console generation, trust me.

dozerking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By dozerking

I've had this feeling for many years now, but luckily every few months I happen to fall in love with a game. At 35 years old, I still love gaming as much as when I did when I was younger, but I'm waayyy more picky about what I like and what I buy. I probably listen to more gaming podcasts as well, like Weekend Confirmed, Bombcast, The Instance, Gamers With Jobs, etc etc.

I'm hoping the Guild Wars 2 early launch this weekend will draw me back in. I also have to admit though, I re-installed the free to play Hellgate and I'm addicted again, such a good time despite the lag.

Avatar image for deactivated-592be1c2327fc
deactivated-592be1c2327fc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best thing you could do now is stop buying video games.

Hopefully that will encourage hardware companies to release new consoles sooner.

They keep saying on the Bombcast that, since game sales are so high, why would they release a new console anyway?

I came to the conclusion you had too. So many games made me feel, "Been there, done that."

So I stopped buying new games. Why encourage them to produce more samey shit?

It's your move developers: make something worth spending money on. And another sequel- with the same game engine- and some new assets- isn't going to do it for me.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kgb0515

My problem is a little different right now. I have trouble playing just one game at a time and finishing it. I recently forced myself to play the entire Gears of War trilogy without switching to another title, but after that I have been jumping around quite a bit. For example, I recently downloaded ArmA 2 (to actually play ArmA 2...gasp), and about 20 mins in I had to stop and download World of Tanks as a diversion. It has been driving me crazy.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By AngelN7

I think is best to get away from games and game related stuff from time to time I kinda enjoy games more now that I have less time to play them , I used to play games a lot a few years back and I got kinda bored of them now I look foward playing whatever I can and If I don't want to I don't do it, focing yourself to keep playing a game is the worst.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Ramone

Try playing something out of your comfort zone or something you always wanted to play but never did.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bell_End

Take a break from gaming. You don't have to play games.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Justin258

You need to find something else to do.

Honestly, that's it. That's all. Build a model car, learn to play guitar, find a buddy and go play some tennis, join a local sports team, work out, get laid, learn photography, read a book, write a book, learn to draw, anything really. And don't do it so that you can come back to games with a better perspective, do it because finding other things to do is good for you in more ways than you can count. Doing other things makes you a more interesting and sociable person, so go out there and find something else to do!

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By sixpin

I had a similar problem a couple years back. What I did was take a break. I didn't really play much of anything or follow any game news for a little while. Then one Saturday afternoon I grabbed the first game off my shelf that caught my attention. After that I started playing and enjoying games like I did years ago. For me it was the BS inside baseball stuff that really was killing off my love of the hobby. I spent so much time reading or listening to industry people complain about how crappy things were that I lost touch with the fun of just playing games. I just don't take the opinions of others too seriously anymore. That's why I don't really read reviews very often (and not for any kind of purchase recommendation purposes). Guess I just needed to cleanse the palate.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lost_Remnant

Just do something else man. As you say, videogames are your favorite hobby. Wouldn't it be awful just to force yourself to play them as some kind of service or "that thing you have to do"? turning your favorite hobby into a chore is all kinds of awful. If you don't feel like playing a game today, a week, or even a month or more then that's cool. They will be there when you come back and maybe the ones you had a passing interest in will be cheaper as well and lead to an impulse buy that turns out getting you back in.

Everybody gets moments like this, I've gone quite a few months before without much gaming under my belt. I just wasn't feeling it, sometimes you just need a break especially if you play a ton of videogames. I also sometimes do the whole reading about games then actually playing them thing. Which is fine since I do enjoy reading up about the industry and just general impressions of games from people who make them and others like me who play tons of'em. That can lead into a trap though, since the internet is probably one of the most insidious time sink's I've encountered especially if you have a laptop. So maybe take a break from reading about games as well and try to do a whole new thing and as Sixpin above me said, grab something off your shelf that looks awesome when your ready and just jump into it and see what happens.

I also sometimes mix up a cocktail (rum and coke for me) to ease me into a game. It loosens me up and I'm more relaxed and just able to play the game and has helped with that problem of only being able to play games in annoyingly small stretches problem.