Why was my thread deleted?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Swiftopian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

A bit confused as to why my thread deleted. I posted about a Kickstarter yes, but I was pretty sure I made it clear that I'm not part of the development team and have no financial stake in it. I simply want it to get funded because I think it looks very cool and I would like it to exist so I can play it someday. Is any discussion of Kickstarter games banned?

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Wolfgame

you can find the rules for details on self promotion, you will probably need to post providing not just a kickstarter description but also original commentary to generate a discussion. Kickstarters get posted but it's usually in a broader context so it doesn't just come across as advertising

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think the new community rules specify that even if you have no stakes at the Kickstarter you cant post about one ... or maybe Im just missreading I dunno bummer duder but you should pm a mod to see whats up and not create threads for this. ( I hope I do not come out as rude or anything duder ... just pointing out what probably a mod would tell you)

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By cornbredx

You were the person who posted about a Kickstarter in general discussion if I recall.

I suspect it was deleted because the thread had little discussion value and looked like spam. It didn't help that it was for a Kickstarter game in the general discussion board titled "This game looks good you guys." The reason that is suspicious looking is that there are wiki forums for games so if the game isn't in the wiki and you post on the general discussion about it- that looks suspicious. Even more so if it's a Kickstarter (if you're curious where would be apt to post a thread about a Kickstarter that would be under the "Kickstarter" wiki forum).

That being said, you should speak with mods about it. It is frowned upon to make a thread to dispute moderation.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#5  Edited By Slag

@blargonaut: I think one of the new rules (actually an old one I think) is that all questions about moderation that's been applied to you are supposed to be PMed to the mods, not discuss it in the forums.

Use the "PM all Mods" link on the right side of the forum under "Contact the Moderators" to ask them man.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ajamafalous

I think the new community rules specify that even if you have no stakes at the Kickstarter you cant post about one ... or maybe Im just missreading I dunno bummer duder but you should pm a mod to see whats up and not create threads for this. ( I hope I do not come out as rude or anything duder ... just pointing out what probably a mod would tell you)

NO Commercial advertising: You may not advertise or sell any product or service on Giant Bomb. This includes, but is not limited to; developers creating threads to advertise their games, advertising fundraising for Kickstarters or other commercial products for personal gain, and advertisements of personal sites for personal gain (monetary or otherwise). We’ll usually except posts from this rule if they’re intended to give away a beta or Steam key. If you’re a developer or publisher who would like to give away copies of your game on the site, please get in touch with Rorie via a private message.

It reads to me as if you can post a Kickstarter as long as it's not for your own personal gain (i.e. you are part of the team receiving money from it or whatever), so either that needs to be reworded to be clearer in the forum rules, or OP just didn't elaborate enough on the link in his other thread.

Either way, PMing the mods is a better way to handle this anyway, as this thread will just be locked too.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Aetheldod

@ajamafalous: :P so I did missread that ... altho if we kind of , you know , distort the meaning , if a game that I would like to see funded because I like the concept gets funded because of views it would mean that I got a personal gain right??' Right? D:

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

...so either that needs to be reworded to be clearer in the forum rules, or OP just didn't elaborate enough on the link in his other thread.

I think that was the larger issue. As far as I can tell, the OP's last thread just had a few sentences saying that the game looked cool and then a URL link right under it.

@blargonaut: Another general policy is that every thread has to have some sort of discussion value. I think it's less that you were talking about funding a Kickstarter game, and more that your original thread was a bit nondescript and didn't really provide enough actual info about the game to get us talking. There have been many other Kickstarter game threads that weren't moderated at all because the OP not only just said they were excited about the game, but offered specific reasons why, to the point where we could add our opinions too.

Also understand that some shady devs do pretty often advertize their Kickstarters in these forums, and your post was pretty similar to how theirs usually look. Not to mention that all of the mods had their hands completely full with that stressful Anita article today, so they probably just really didn't have time to ask you to embellish your post or anything like that.

But also, as others have said, any questions about moderation should always be PMed directly to the mods and not aired in the forums.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

As stated we don't allow promotions like kickstarter campaigns to be posted on the site. If you're wondering where a forum post goes please, in the future, just PM us mods. Don't clog up the forums with yet another thread.