Wife wants to gift me a game so i narrowed it down to these three options. Which do you recommend?

procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By procrasturbate

procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By procrasturbate

I think X-Com would give me more bang for my buck but i hear Dishonored and Sleeping Dogs are really good. Thoughts?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By AndrewB

I know you don't want to hear the "you can't go wrong with any of those" answer, but I can speak personally for Sleeping Dogs and XCom at least. Totally depends on the type of game you want to play, not really on how many hours you'll get out of any of them. Sleeping Dogs is fairly lengthy, especially if you like the open-world collection aspect of getting and unlocking every little thing. XCom can last you as long as it takes you to get bored with the mechanics.

I'm not deep into XCom, but man do I personally love tactical games, and it's been a blast so far, so if you need an answer besides what appeals to you, get XCom.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Sleeping Dogs is really fun, XCOM is a great strategy game that works with a controller.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By Danteveli

If you like turn based games then grab X-Com. Sleeping Dogs is great for that open world itch. I did not like Dishonored as much as the other two.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Giefcookie

I enjoyed Dishonored, and Sleeping Dogs is next on my list. But I can't recommend either of them over X-Com.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By morningstar

Oh man, those are all great games. It comes down to what type of game you like the most I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't help you on this one, and I'm not going to vote either.

They are all great games, so when I know nothing about what games you like I can't give you any accurate advice, but in the end you can't really go wrong with any of them.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By daiphyer

There is no real wrong answer here. They are all very good games. So it really depends on your mood. What type of game do you want to play?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Funkydupe

When you're done with the story I feel Dishonored is spent, it never felt special to me, or different. I feel it is a little different in XCOM as it sort of proved that there is an audience for factors of luck/unfairness in games still coupled with the turn-based gameplay that has been absent for a long time, although I do recommend spending quite some time between playthroughs of it though. I hope some of the quirks can be patched. I can't advice on Sleeping Dogs as I've not played it.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Vinny_Says

I haven't even played XCom but there's no way it can be worse than Sleeping Dogs.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By RIDEBIRD

XCOM dude.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Karkarov

Those games are wayyyyy to different to really make a recommendation. Of the three I had more fun with Sleeping Dogs but I also am biased because open world/sandbox type games are probably the ones I like the most. If you want to play a good tactical game that is about planning tell her X-Com, if you want to play something "similar" to a GTA go with Sleeping Dogs, and if you want to play a Bioshock spinoff Dishonored is your choice.

I can personally attest that both Sleeping Dogs and X-Com are great games.

Also if she wants to save money I think X-Com might still be on sale with steam, as well as Sleeping Dogs. Dishonored not so much.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SlasherMan

I haven't played XCOM yet, but between Sleeping Dogs and Dishonored, it's an easy choice: Dishonored. That said, I'd expect your assessment of XCOM is accurate based on what I've seen and heard, so if you want best bang for the buck, that'd be the way to go.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EXTomar

I always though the point of gift selection is that it is a statement between the gift giver and gift receiver. Don't let a message board do that job for you where instead you should talk about it with her.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By crusader8463

XCom. Sleepy Dogs is ok but gets really old really fast. Dishonoured I just hated the entire time and once you play it once you will not want to play it again.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I haven't played XCom, I played both Sleeping Dogs and Dishonored and liked them both a lot. If you like Strategy games go with XCom because fucking everyone ever says it's a really good game.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Fearbeard

I went with Xcom but honestly, you'll be fine with any of those choices

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By toowalrus

I haven't gotten around to playing any of them, but Sleeping Dogs looks the most fun.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20  Edited By Giantstalker

Well, the choice is clear from my perspective: XCOM.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Justin258
@Vinny_Says

I haven't even played XCom but there's no way it can be worse than Sleeping Dogs.

What didn't you like about Sleeping Dogs?
I voted for Sleeping Dogs, but I haven't played the other two. Still, I don't think you could go wrong with Sleeping Dogs, I only beat it a month ago but I'm already wanting to do it again.
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By musubi

Sleeping Dogs one of my favorite things of the year.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By mesoian

XCOM most definitely.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By JoeyRavn

I haven't played X-COM yet, but I'll say X-COM anyway. Why? Because that's so me.

Sleeping Dogs and Dishonored are both great games, but if you only can get one and just one, the won't feel like they are enough. You can finish Dishonored in around 10 hours if you don't play very steathily, and Sleeping Dogs in around 20 if you stick to the main story quests (and possibly some of the more important side stuff). But X-COM? Sink your life away, duder.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By nightriff

Dishonored is a good game but I really can't recommend it at full price, haven't played the other two but I have to assume they are better overall games.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fredchuckdave

XCOM, because its the worst game of the year in the past like 15 years. Note: It's still a fun game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Year

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By Sooperspy

I've played all three and even though they are all amazing in their own rights, I would say XCOM is the best.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NegativeCero

I have played exactly none of these games. That said, I bought Sleeping Dogs when all three of those games were on sale today. I feel like it would be the most fun (and least stressful) of the bunch,

procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By procrasturbate

Went with XCOM for $25! Can't wait to spend some time with it. Thanks for the advice.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By icicle7x3

Throw up them Xs

XCOM

diresu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By diresu

Sleeping Dogs. It's one of my favorite games this year, and a possible GOTY.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#32  Edited By Little_Socrates

I really, really have yet to love my time with XCOM. I'm generally terrible at strategy games, and XCOM isn't helping with that very much. It's very well-made and most people seem to adore it.

Sleeping Dogs is really neat, but I wouldn't say it's special. If you like games like GTA and Saints Row, this is definitely a good one of those games. But it doesn't hold up against the best games in that genre.

Then there's Dishonored, which is fascinating and I still think about a lot. That would be my pick, for sure, and to someone who doesn't play strategy games, it'd be my recommendation. If you do play strategy on the reg, though, XCOM is what I'd pretty much have to recommend to people.