Wii U is kinda awesome.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

Edited By Hizang

I've had the Wii U for a few days now, I can happily say that it is an incredibly awesome console. With Miiverse being awesome and its integration with games being awesome and with awesomeness of the GamePad and the awesomeness of Little Inferno just make the Wii U awesome. I had so much to say in fact I made a video, it's not a review but more of a quick look, if I was to use Giant Bomb's own phrases, which I'm sure is copyrighted, so I'm not.

Part 1

Part 2

In other news I've started working on my GOTY awards as well as my 2012 year in review. I've making my way through Far Cry 3 and New Super Mario Bros U and Paper Mario Sticker Star slowly but I really should hurry the fuck up. Years almost over folks, better get cracking.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hizang

I've had the Wii U for a few days now, I can happily say that it is an incredibly awesome console. With Miiverse being awesome and its integration with games being awesome and with awesomeness of the GamePad and the awesomeness of Little Inferno just make the Wii U awesome. I had so much to say in fact I made a video, it's not a review but more of a quick look, if I was to use Giant Bomb's own phrases, which I'm sure is copyrighted, so I'm not.

Part 1

Part 2

In other news I've started working on my GOTY awards as well as my 2012 year in review. I've making my way through Far Cry 3 and New Super Mario Bros U and Paper Mario Sticker Star slowly but I really should hurry the fuck up. Years almost over folks, better get cracking.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By colourful_hippie

A system that currently has no games that interest me and has a bloated/slow OS that makes the Wii's OS look more like next-gen is not my idea of awesome but hey at least someone likes the thing.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hizang

@Colourful_Hippie: I think the Gamepad is one of the better controllers I have seen in years, it seems like it wouldn't work but it really does. Miiverse is really amazing, I check in every day just to check out all the new crazy pictures people have managed to draw. It's launch lineup is one of the better launch lineups I have seen, Little Inferno was fantastic and one of the best games this year and New Super Mario Bros U is great fun, much better than the 3DS one.

But I agree, the loading times need to be fixed.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@Colourful_Hippie: Stop talking about something you've obviously never used.

Anyway, I've had mine for a week now it's actually pretty damn awesome.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Sackmanjones

I agree. Sure there aren't many games right now but for someone who hasn't owned a Nintendo console since the NES, NSMBU is so damn fun and zombiu is an experience you truly cannot get anywhere else right now. It most definitely has its issues with the slow OS and lock ups but the thing people focus in the negative more than the positive. For 1 the Netflix app is awesome, the picture moves from tablet to TV almost instaneously which is impressive. Amazons is a bit slower but it's still cool. miiverse is kind of amazing, simply sharing a few words with people or giving them tips while in game is genius. The web browser is actually good! I've made posts on gb with my wii u and even watched some quick looks (given gbs player doesn't support it yet so I used the YouTube version).

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sackmanjones
@Sackmanjones sorry, shitty phone site.

Anyway I wanted to finish off by saying it still has a ways to go, especially with those load times but give it a few more months of some polishing and a few more game releases and I think people's thoughts will have changed by it.
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By colourful_hippie

@Hizang: Miiverse is the one really unique and exciting thing about the system for me, it has huge potential for growth and yeah the gamepad feels great. That's just about it for me though, not worth a purchase.

@SathingtonWaltz said:

You don't know anything about my life and don't try to make guesses just because I don't like something you do.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Hizang: Miiverse is the one really unique and exciting thing about the system for me, it has huge potential for growth and yeah the gamepad feels great. That's just about it for me though, not worth a purchase.

@SathingtonWaltz said:

You don't know anything about my life and don't try to make guesses just because I don't like something you do.

lol what the hell dude

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By morrelloman

It's awesome because I've never gotten a new console the year it was brand new before for chirstmas. It's sitting in my living room but DO NOT OPEN until christmas.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By colourful_hippie

@SathingtonWaltz: My cousin bought the system and I messed around with it for a bit so I know enough that I know that I don't want one so I find it cute when people say I've never touched the Wii U before just because I'm so negative about it

lol bro

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By TheHumanDove

It's awesome if bad things are awesome.

Debate me bro!

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iamjohn

I agree with this thread. Wish it would stop hard locking, though.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By laserbolts

@Colourful_Hippie: Someone is a tad sensitive.

I dunno man ive heard alot more negative things about the WiiU than positive. Im still hoping the new Zelda makes it worth picking up. I think im sort of over Mario at this point.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By colourful_hippie

@laserbolts: ok?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hizang

@iAmJohn said:

I agree with this thread. Wish it would stop hard locking, though.

I've not had one hard lock up, or any crashes or anything like that, I must be lucky.

@TheHumanDove said:

It's awesome if bad things are awesome.

Debate me bro!

The Wii U has the potential to be able to make so many types of games as it will work with a Wiimote, Gamepad and Pro Controller, I fucking hope they understand that because if they do they will do really well.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By toowalrus

I held a WiiU gamepad in a Target demo station for the first time today. It felt fine, but it also felt worse than a dualshock. Unless they put out some great exclusive games, I'm not sure why you'd ever want one. Sure NSMBU, ZombieU & Nintendoland aren't terrible, but mediocre games aren't system sellers for me. I'll be back when Bayonetta 2 comes out.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaLe

What about load times? They seem atrocious across the board. Load times are part of why I don't even boot up my 360, so I guess I'm pretty sensitive to that stuff.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By MysteriousBob

Until it gets a game I actually want, I couldn't care less.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@CaLe: I've been pretty used to PS3 load times for ages now, and the Wii U seems a tad faster. Still it needs some work but I'd take this issue over the 62% failure rate of when the 360 launched.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gamefreak9

I'm sure its good but i'm waiting for games to see if i'm interested.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sackmanjones

@TooWalrus said:

I held a WiiU gamepad in a Target demo station for the first time today. It felt fine, but it also felt worse than a dualshock. Unless they put out some exclusive games, I'm not sure why you'd ever want one. Sure NSMBU, ZombieU & Nintendoland aren't terrible, but mediocre games aren't system sellers for me. I'll be back when Bayonetta 2 comes out.

I would say those games are better than mediocre. I can understand the Mario fatigue (which I don't have) but Zombiu is excellent and Nintendoland is great as a party game. But Im defintely waiting for Bayonetta. Played the demo of the first one on ps3 And loved it but i heard that version was awful so I passed. Seems like story aint much of an issue though

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By colourful_hippie

@CaLe: Then you're not going to like the Wii U until the thing hopefully gets some firmware updates to speed it up. I thought the 360 dashboard was sluggish until I tried navigating the Wii U. I actually turned on my Wii to make sure I wasn't crazy and I realized that moving around the settings in the Wii menu is faster than on the Wii U. I can't speak for the Wii U game load times because I haven't played them all and maybe (hopefully) that is only launch title woes and future games will be better optimized.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FritzDude

I have never touched it, but I would like to so I can comment on it.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By FreakAche

It seems cool, but most of the games that I want are out in the new year.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JonSmith

@Hizang:

How much is Nintendo paying you to say these things?

HOW MUCH?!

TerrificTrevor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By TerrificTrevor

I think I am over Nintendo exclusives. Don't get me wrong, it will only one must have game for me to get a Wii U. I just can't see the next Mario or Zelda being so good I got to play them especially given the last ones I played couldn't keep my interest long enough to finish them.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Colourful_Hippie said:

A system that currently has no games that interest me and has a bloated/slow OS that makes the Wii's OS look more like next-gen is not my idea of awesome but hey at least someone likes the thing.

I wish it was cool, but my PS3 does everything I can imagine much better (and faster). The main thing holding me back is obviously no games, but also the dumb controller situation, I don't want 12 controllers for one system, some can do multiplayer, like the wiimote, one is the gamepad, you can have pro controllers, the balance board is coming back.. damn, Nintendo, make it consistent or I will not care. I don't want to get a game and learn it's only good on the pro controller, but I want to use the gamepad, or do local multiplayer and have to use a wiimote, it's dumb, it's bad design, and does no favors for a system I already am apathetic about.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Man I just can't foresee myself buying this console this year with the current game line up especially with the inevitable Steam end of year sale that will burn a hole through my wallet.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By crusader8463

I messed around with one that was on Display at a Futureshop, and the only nice thing I have to say about the WiiU is that the screen controller is actually really dam nice to hold in your hands. I was rather taken back by how light it was and how it felt to just hold it in your hands. Pictures make it look like an unyielding mess. That said however, none of the games look interesting, nothing in the future for games looks interesting, the OS looks like it runs about as slick as reindeer poo at the north poll in the dead of winter, and the screen controller having such a short battery life makes me never want to use it because when I play games I do so in long stretches and I don't ever want to need to stop playing the game to fight with a power cord half way through a game.

If you like it good for ya, but I'm going to be waiting for a big price drops, some games that look fun that I can't get elsewhere and probably a gen 2 version of the system. I have had both a Wii and a 3DS sitting in a corner collecting dust since the came out, so I'm not going to hold my breath for games coming out on it that will grab my interest.

ShatterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShatterShock

I held a Wii U controller for the first time while out shopping today. My hands didn't burst into flames upon contact, so there's that to be thankful for. It felt awkward holding the controller with it being so wide compared to other gamepads, but I could probably get used to that in time. The screen on the controller looked nice, but it won't amount to much besides a bunch of inventory screens, maps and maybe an occasional surprise here and there. What was great about the two screens of the DS and 3DS were that the screens were right next to one another, so it was easy to pull back and see both screens at the same time. With Wii U, it it feels like it'll be distracting to switch between your TV and the controller. ZombiU uses this to the game's full advantage but how many other games will just be annoying with these mechanics? My biggest gripe though was the placement of the buttons below the right stick, I just know that's going to get annoying quickly for long gaming sessions and the pro controller provides no respite, having the same layout.

I just think Nintendo is running low on ideas. They don't want to compete in a hardware/graphics war with Microsoft and Sony because those two can and will always outspend Nintendo on that front. Nintendo chose to use finesse over strength and caught lightning in a bottle twice with the Nintendo DS and the Wii but the 3DS and the Wii U aren't nearly as exciting.

....Yet I'll still get one the moment they announce a new F-Zero or Star Fox. C'est la vie!

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Dalai

The Wii U is kinda awesome. It has its issues, but every console does at launch. The only thing the Wii U needs now is more games.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hizang

People that saying there are zero games out, should check out Super Mario Bros U, the Giant Bomb guys are way to down on this game. If you look elsewhere its held in high regard, I know many of you love the Giant Bomb guys but that doesn't mean you have to always listen to what they say. I didn't and picked it up, it's the best New Super Mario Bros game and one of the best Wii U games right now. ZombiU is supposed to be really good, but not my thing. Nintendo Land is great if you have friends over, Mario chase is awesome. Nano Assault Neo and Little Inferno are gems on the eShop.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By big_jon

@Hizang: Glad to hear, I hope it only gets better.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By evanbower

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@CaLe: I've been pretty used to PS3 load times for ages now, and the Wii U seems a tad faster. Still it needs some work but I'd take this issue over the 62% failure rate of when the 360 launched.

Exactly. I have a Wii U, and while of course I'd like the load times to be faster as a general rule in all things, I'd compare them to about how long it takes the icons to load when you hit the home button while in game on a PS3.. which is to say, noticeable, annoying, but certainly not system ruining. For another example, the Wii U load times don't take as long as it does to sync my trophies, which is still preposterously long.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hizang

Chugging along in Super Mario, I have all the star coins this far and I'm just done with world 4.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By nintendork666

@TooWalrus said:

I held a WiiU gamepad in a Target demo station for the first time today. It felt fine, but it also felt worse than a dualshock. Unless they put out some great exclusive games, I'm not sure why you'd ever want one. Sure NSMBU, ZombieU & Nintendoland aren't terrible, but mediocre games aren't system sellers for me. I'll be back when Bayonetta 2 comes out.

I was shocked at how much I immediately disliked holding the tablet controller while playing Rayman at a GameStop kiosk. My hands felt awkward, being so far apart from each other.

My PS3, and 3DS will keep me more than content with modern releases until the Wii U gets a major price drop, or a must-have game.

Hell, there's still plenty of Wii titles I'm dying to play through.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By uhtaree

I gotta admit, seeing the demo station, even though it had no demos on the thing (WTFs with that), The controller sparked my interest a little bit. If they struggle coming out with games I'm interested in, however, I'll never be pushed over the edge to get one, and the way it's been going Nintendo and their third parties seem to have less and less to offer each time out.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Vonocourt

So yeah, I've been playing Black Ops II on my Wii U and I've got two main thoughts about my experience. One, Blops II's singleplayer's campaign is straight up insane. Two, the gamepad just doesn't fit with the fast paced shooting of COD, and Treyarch's games are the noticeably slower of the two developers. The stick movement just doesn't feel as tight as on the other consoles. Whether it's because of sticks being farther up on the controller, or because the analog sticks just aren't that well made, I don't know. I just don't like them that much.

Playing on the gamepad's screen while laying in my bed before I go to sleep though, pretty dope.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hizang
@Vonocourt The Pro Controller would probbaly be fine though right?
jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#40  Edited By jacksukeru

The only thing that really bothers me about my WiiU at the moment is that I would be completely in for the idea of getting all my games digitally on it, if I weren't scared that I'd lose them all if the console breaks.

Also I'd have to wait for certain times to download some games from the E-shop, because Germany.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By Vonocourt

@Hizang: Don't know, haven't tried one. I can't justify spending sixty dollars on a controller right now.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By killacam

just so some potential players don't get confused, little inferno is out on steam. so play it. cuz you dont need no stinkin gamepad!

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hwy_61

I'd like to have one, but I'm so broke right now.

Avatar image for somethingclever
SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By SomethingClever

I bought the Wii for one game (Super Mario Galaxy), the PS3 for one game (Valkyria Chronicles) and the Xbox for one game (Halo). I don't remember any particular game encouraging me to get a 360, I just wanted it. Going back further the same could pretty much be said for every gaming console I've ever had. One game. Some systems panned out better than others but they all started with one game that got my attention.

That said, WiiU has ZombiU and that game really is damn good. For that, I'm pleased. I've also played the hell out of New Super Mario Bros. U and Scribblenauts Unlimited so I consider my purchase more than justified.

What it comes down to is I am an adult with disposable income. It doesn't matter if it is actually all that good, all that matters is that I don't have buyers remorse. It's a competent little system with some interesting promise (but never buy a thing based on the promise, buy it for what it can do today). Is it perfect? No. Is it terrible? No (okay, in some ways it sort of is but it does what I need it to do).