Wii U or New 3DS

ElNeebre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So eventually I'm going to be getting both but I'm not sure which to buy first

Both consoles have great games for me, 3DS having Majora's Mask, Monster Hunter and Pokemon which I haven't played in years

Wii U having Bayonetta, Wind Waker and loads of amazing games coming in 2015

If you have both, what console do you prefer?

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By bigmess

I have a Wii U and just ordered myself a New 3DS from Dell of all places. They're near impossible to find at the moment.

I definitely get way more use out of my current 3DS than my Wii U. The 3DS has a stupid amount of great games to play and I feel that the Wii U has a small number of very fantastic games.

I'd say get a New 3DS first if you can find one. You'll have more options of what you want to play.

Also, goddamn that Bradface/Ryaneyes photo gets me every single time.

atholm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was in the same "problem" as you. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64 and haven't played a Zelda or completed a Mario game.
I choose the New 3DS, mainly because it is a handheld and therefore I have more opportunities to play, but also because it seems like the best Zelda games can be played there.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atholm: I've got Wind Waker and Link to the Past on my Wii U and it's been doing pretty alright by me. I'm pretty bummed that Wii U probably won't be getting the N64 Zeldas, but I guess that has to do with Wind Waker being the least amount of work to get nice-looking in HD.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I own a n3DS, the Wii U has access to a much bigger Virtual Console library, which is really appealing to me since I never owned the classic SNES games like A Link to the Past and Earthbound, among others. But rather than buying a separate console for SNES VC games, I'm patiently waiting for a 3DS version release.

atholm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hugh_jazz: Yeah, I really want to play Wind Waker as it looks fantastic but settled on Ocarina of Time 3D as first Zelda experience. I guess the Wii U will come sooner rather than later :-)

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hugh_jazz

@atholm: Having never actually played a lot of Zelda before(not counting the time I was so young I can't remember it), starting off with what seems to have been a heavily edited version of a great one was a good way to go. Nonetheless it was almost too grindy for me, so the original would not have gone over well. As it was, it ended up being one of the best game experiences I've ever had.

I don't own a New 3DS, would love to get one for a few games, but mostly I'm satisfied with the Wii U. Monster Hunter is great on it, too.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

It all boils down to whether you are more of a handheld gamer or a big screen TV gamer. You can also love both if you get my point. Game-wise, 3DS is kinda on its last legs. You have a much bigger library to choose from but there isn't much on the horizon I'm aware of. Wii U had its biggest releases, MK8 and SMB U just recently and Splatoon is coming too. So you'll have a lot to do on multiplayer side and Zelda is coming to it soon as well. Maybe Pokken will turn out to be another great addition.

Tough call but I'd definetly say Wii U. I own neither but Wii U would be my first purchase.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 3ds has streetpass so definitely 3ds

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Corevi

I have to say 3DS. There's just more games worth playing.

Also I wouldn't say there's loads of Wii U games coming this year. There's Zelda, Star Fox, Splatoon and Mario Party 10. That's it.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@corevi said:

I have to say 3DS. There's just more games worth playing.

Also I wouldn't say there's loads of Wii U games coming this year. There's Zelda, Star Fox, Splatoon and Mario Party 10. That's it.

I agree that the 3DS has more games worth playing and by that measure the 3DS is the better purchase to make. However, you're selling the WiiU's 2015 library short leaving out Xenoblade, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Yoshi's Woolly World and potentially Mario Maker. It's a pretty rad lineup of exclusives, and by the time the year is up you're looking at a pretty great library for the system overall.

ElNeebre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks all for the replies

I'm struggling making up my mind, one of my worries of the Wii U is a potential new model coming out and the fact there doesn't seem to be a LOAD of support for it

The 3DS seems to be coming to the end of it's cycle also

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

If you're "eventually getting both" then 3DS is a complain no-brainer to get first. It already has a stupidly-huge library of great games, whereas the biggest hits of the Wii U are on the horizon yet.

I'd say 3DS even if you had to choose one over the other entirely. I'm typically a console guy, but I've spent more time on that thing since I got it than any other video game platform.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3DS has so many good games, it's comical. Wii U has the best games of the current gen home consoles though. they're both great in terms of games but yes, 3DS has a lot more.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Corevi

@elneebre: The 3DS still has at least another 2 years and even if it didn't the library it already has is more than worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

They both have pretty strong libraries of games, but I'd have to give the edge to the 3DS. Even though some its best games are little brother counterparts (3D Land, Smash, Mario Kart 7) they're still solid titles in their own right. (I think 3D Land is actually better than World...) It's also backwards compatible with all DS games (you just can't play ones that require peripherals) and that system also had a SHITLOAD of great games.

The Wii U is pretty cool too, but I think it can wait a few months. If you're concerned about a new model, wait until e3 or so. Your New 3DS will easily keep you occupied until then anyhow.

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an original version 3DS and often use my sisters wiiU, both are great but I prefer the 3DS despite overall being more of a console gamer.

I'd say go for 3DS hands down if you don't have a normal DS, there are SO MANY brilliant games already available. If you do have a DS then it's a bit more tricky, I'd still probably go with the 3DS though since even removing the DS games it still has way more quality games already out than the wiiU. The wiiU is backwards compatible too though so if there are wii games you want to play that's something to factor in too.

It's one of those things where I think you're ultimately just going to have to decide based on which has games out now that appeal to you more. I guess also factor in stuff like cost, whether you have another console/handheld already, whether you'd want to game much outside of the house and how much local multiplayer you think you'll play (imo much like the wii, the wiiU really shines in this regard).

Both are great options, I honestly think you'll be happy with whatever you end up choosing. I don't envy your decision though, I remember when I was trying to decide whether to go with the PS3 or 360, choosing was such a pain in the arse