Wiki info, How much depth?

nezze00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By nezze00

Sooo, I was wondering, how much info is good enough for a Wiki in your guys' opinion? Say a game has no real single player story mode, such as Shadowrun. In your opinions, is listing weapon info, class info, and Powers too much? Should the information on the pages be general, such as Singleplayer, Multiplayer, and plot? Sorry for the many questions, but I'd like some thoughts on this. If we can get most of the Wikis to look about the same structure-wise, the whole site would be easier to sort through. Thanks for the input.

Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Schizoid

I'd say list as much as you can, there doesn't seem to be a limit saying that it can only be a certain length.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Termite

It can be as long as you like, but weapons stuff seems a bit much. That seems like it belongs in a guide but then again some wikipedia articles on games list weapons so...go for it

nezze00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nezze00

Hmm, I understand what you're saying Termite. I was thinking, maybe weapons belong in a strategy guide or w/e. I just don't want it to look cluttered. I was gonna do, Overview, Single Player, Multiplayer, Weapons, Tips. Something like that. Maybe I will leave weapons and stuff out or make it brief.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Clean

it seems like it is going to take a while for everything to upload but other than that its great

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By RVonE

Wouldn't weapons be under "objects"?

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By KindGalaxy

I think, at much as you possibly can, if you can find the weight to a weapon, projectile speeds on bullets, then add that stuff. Or if you just want to do some game info and the basic story to the game then add that. Hard part is writing something and not trying to sound biased, "BIOSHOCK BEST STORY EVA!!11" probably not a good sentence for the wiki.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Hamz

In my opinion every wiki article for a game should go like this...

- In depth review of the plot detailing and outlining it as best as possible.
- Comment on any unique or inovative features of the game, Eg class customisation of COD4
- Note any special information about the game such as DLC, variations between platforms etc.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By samcotts

RVonE has a good point. Make a page called 'Shadowrun weapons' maybe.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By SSbabel

The more the better, thats what i say.

nezze00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nezze00

Hmm, i'm liking the feedback. I'm not too familiar with the objects thing, but I will check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

@KindGalaxy: yeah i get your point, but I'm not really gonna be reviewing it (as I already did), but more so just detailing all of the game's features. I'll try not to sound biased at all though, promise lol.

@Hamz: Yeah, im gonna try to get in some plot. I do want to avoid spoilers as best as possible. I'm not sure if it is necessary, but I feel that it is the best option. Oh yeah, definitely gonna comment on special features. Was just wondering how deep I get into it. Kinda like what KindGalaxy said about weight, speed, of weapons etc. About your last point, I'm lucky it's only on one platform, however, I will talk about mods, custom maps, etc. (Cause im reviewing a pc game) :]

So yeah, I kinda see where I'm going now, Will still check out the objects thingy. Thanks :D! More comments are welcome too.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KindGalaxy

Yeah, just go with what you feel; at your Wiki Point level it'll be moderated by the BombGods and even then, someone might come around in the future and want to improve on your editing a bit.
There are a couple of games from the 80s and 90s I'm a complete nerd about and will be doing details like min-max damage, specific gun/weapon details etc. just because I can in this format, great thing about GiantBomb is moderated posting and community editing input will drive the quality of each page.