Will Patrick Klepek beat Dan Ryckert's SMM Challenge?

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

Edited By fobwashed

Poll Will Patrick Klepek beat Dan Ryckert's SMM Challenge? (2816 votes)

#TeamPatrick 50%
#TeamDan 50%

The Grudge

After Patrick Klepek beat the latest Giant Bomb Community Level, he threw down the gauntlet

The Challenge

And Dan Ryckert responded with a challenge!

The Rules

• Patrick has 72 hours from the start of his first attempt to beat Dan's level
  • There is to be no help from the chat, community, or miiverse posts
  • If Patrick beats the level, he wins the war and Dan must donate $100 to a charity of Patrick's choosing
  • If Patrick fails, Patrick must donate $100 to a charity of Dan's choosing and admit that Dan has defeated him

Challenge Accepted!

And the challenge was accepted!

No Caption Provided

With $100 on the line, who do you think will win the bet of the century? Are you TeamPatrick or TeamRyckert!?

Donations

https://www.gofundme.com/theryckoning

There has been a gofundme set up where you can vote with your $$$. Are you TeamRyckert or TeamKlepek?

Further Updates

Game Over Greg Miller is firmly on the side of TeamPatrick putting up $100 of his own!

Dan Ryckert has finished building the level and has started attempting to upload it.

• 
Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By Quantris

@jellybones said:

Hm, how much has the level changed? I was sure the goal was to take the trampoline through a pipe so you could spawn a second one. You should be able to keep the cape that way as well.

I didn't try it because he took it down again, and bunny-hopping through that tunnel four times seemed like a chore.

I just beat it (seems I'm #20). I didn't see the previous version(s) so not sure how much it changed, but on my path getting a trampoline was pretty much the final step. I only screwed up once after that point. Will have to watch others' videos to see if I did things differently. Be warned all these spoilers are for the currently uploaded level.

Also, I only had a cape for about 20 seconds and it seemed like this was by design. The only part I'm not sure I did the expected way was that I was "super" when I reached the very end. I suspect this wasn't the plan because it makes the 2nd P-switch irrelevant (though I did get it)...I thought being super was necessary to get the trampoline so came up with a strategy to achieve it, but maybe it just makes that part easier (or I missed a better way to do it). Other than that, I was always small in the tunnel so the only "chore" part of it was jumping back into the right side of it which usually took a few attempts. I suspect the tunnel has changed from what you're talking about...I don't think it's possible to get through if you enter it while big.

For a while my strategy was to release the trampoline at the same time as the P-switch, but when I finally managed to make it back with the POW block it had despawned. Are you saying that going in and out of a pipe (I actually didn't use any pipes) with the trampoline would prevent that? That would definitely make the 2nd half of my strategy far less error-prone, but I'm guessing it's not the intended path either, since then the star near the end of the level isn't needed (I used it to get the trampoline on my 2nd visit). BTW for me both the Bill Launcher and the trampoline despawned, so I don't think you'd get two trampolines that way, but at least you wouldn't have to find an alternative way to drop the launcher.

EDIT: I watched the stream linked previously in this thread. I did it basically the same way except for the difference mentioned above...which required less timing IMO but also was harder to set up. I came up with this without looking at the editor (I did get lucky that I tried the correct door at the end first)...it's pretty fair given that you're expecting there to be dead ends / troll pipes etc. As long as you know that you can fly with the cape (and also the stand-on-POW-block trick, which I didn't know before GB Level 2) I feel like the hints to the right path are present in the level.

Specifically:

Right from the start there's a weird arrangement of coins leading to POW block surrounded by spikes. You can even jump up on the right and see that it seems like there's something above this structure. That path of coins continues to the right with multiple width-1 gaps...so pretty much right away I knew I should be looking out for a P-switch. The star that's at the right end of that path confirms the idea...it's totally useless for the next section but obviously needed to get past the fire bars & spikes. I think that this would be pretty obvious to Patrick given how analytically he's been approaching these levels.
It took me forever to figure out that underground was completely a waste. It wasn't too hard to get down a certain pipe with the cape and reach the one-way walls. But couldn't find a way back out after that. When I finally managed to get enough of a run over the skull movers to fly all the way to the right, and didn't see anything, I abandoned this path.
Right after you get the cape, there is a long flat stretch, and a bit later you can see clouds. Both are suggesting to try to fly here. I disagree with a previous poster that said if you didn't know bombs work on ice that you'll get stuck. If you find this area, it's pretty obvious that the bomb is there for something. I thought the ?-block was the goal here (it totally isn't) but in the process discovered that the bomb breaks ice. I think the pipe entrances covered in ice also are suggestive that it's breakable. The Goomba in ice cage is pretty conspicuous, and once I had reached the end and seen the P-switch I knew I needed something to throw at it.
I *definitely* got lucky finding the trampoline. I was just throwing the Goomba to "restun" it and hit the dry bones. Not knowing about the trampoline resulted in wasting probably about 2 hours trying to figure out ways to get more POW blocks (I thought the solution was going to be to build a tower of them...at this point I didn't know that the one I had been leaving at the end had been despawning anyway. Spent quite some time trying to get the leftmost one from underground back out, and also searching for a pipe to Yoshi who's standing on two POW blocks.

All told this level took me about 6 hours of actual playtime to beat (note-blocks are the number one killer for me), but about 15 hours of real-world time since I had to put it down several times (which helped work through what possibilities I hadn't been trying). My successful run was near the beginning of a fresh session this morning.

I think Patrick has a chance (he solved GB level 2 way faster than I did, and I think he's less sloppy with platforming than me), but only if he puts some solid time in to methodically rule out all the dead end paths.

SWAGGY_Paz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some people just want to watch the world burn (aka. Dan Rykert)... Smh.....

Let's go #TeamPatrick!

Jellybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@quantris: You can't keep the cape anymore, but yes, I'm saying if you take the trampoline through the pipe and back out, then grab the star and kill the dry bones with that, the bullet bill launcher will give you a second trampoline.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#204 chaser324  Moderator

@jellybones: That almost seems like an unintended bug in the game itself, but a lot of the stuff with carrying items through screen transitions seems a bit weird.

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Having now seen a play through of the level, dear good lord I don't see how Patrick will do it without looking at it in the editor first. I think Dan's got this in the bag.

jeddy201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This level is horrible and I'm 90% sure patrick won't be able to beat it without looking stuff up. #TeamDan

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mjbrune said:

The other part of this is that it's timed so all Dan really has to do is fill a LONG level with random crap like the GB stream levels and watch patrick never figure them out. "Take pipe 3-4-2-1-4-6-3-3-1-3-5-7-2-3" would be a solution that would take more than 72 hours to brute force. Specially with all the devious misdirection you can use. The path you thought was the answer and was working on for the last 5 hours turns out to be a pure dead end.

There is no way to cram even a tenth the amount of pipes for that combination into the game.

A long elaborate dead end is exactly like a normal level becouse you have limited space to work with. If you make a long dead end well then when Patrick finally power through it he just has the other path (the remaining space) left to go and so he would even if it wasnt a dead end becouse then he would just continue instead of restart and go the other path.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris: You can't keep the cape anymore, but yes, I'm saying if you take the trampoline through the pipe and back out, then grab the star and kill the dry bones with that, the bullet bill launcher will give you a second trampoline.

Nice. If I had tried that probably would have beaten it last night, but by the time I discovered the trampoline, I had already written off the underground. And formulated a strategy assuming that after killing the dry bones, that launcher would stick around for when I returned with the POW block (sadly untrue, but fixable). I guess that dry bones killed by goomba throw will return if you go through pipes, but ones you jump on will return if you go far away enough (weird).

Theoretically Dan could have just made it impossible to get back out of the underground, but I hope he leaves the level as is. I kind of doubt Patrick would try this, but would be neat if he came up with this solution for reaching the end.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla: you probably don't need exponentially many pipes to set up a "guess the password" level with an exponential search space. Clearing a Mario level is known to be NP-hard -- Dan could (conceivably, hypothetically...look, I don't think anyone thinks he's capable of pulling something like this, but humor me) cook up some difficult 3SAT instance and embed it in a level, and Patrick might not figure out how to beat it in his lifetime. And that's even if he stares at it with the level editor!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@robbparris: Is there a link anywhere for this? I searched YouTube to no avail.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#211  Edited By Aegon

@humanity said:

@robbparris: Is there a link anywhere for this? I searched YouTube to no avail.

Yeah, I haven't seen this level in any form so far.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 chaser324  Moderator
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By Humanity

@chaser324: Thank you

You are a hero and a gentleman

EDIT: dear lord, although I still think 3 full days is too long. If he had 1 day to do this I would say probably 100% no way, but within 3 days he will have it. It's crazy but the amount of possibilities to try out through pure brute force isn't that high.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whether Patrick beats it seems like it will depend on how much time he wastes on false paths. I'll be honest, I don't find these levels that fixate on carrying stuff around very interesting, because the actual skills needed to complete it aren't really that much. Completion is more a matter of knowing which random bullshit to carry to what place at what time, which is largely a matter of trial and error because you have no idea of what's needed next because it's in parts of the level you haven't seen yet.

mrsmiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@aegon: @humanity: Here's a link to a playthrough of The Ryckoning: http://www.twitch.tv/sodiumeyes/v/20089234

Wow... just... wow. Dan is kinda of a genius. He's totally right, too. There really is no "trick" and you don't even really have to do any crazy moves like throwing a trampoline into a wall and bouncing off of it or stuff like that. I never in a million years would have thought to use the goomba like that. To me that's probably the most difficult part of the level (along with not dying on the stupid note blocks).

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 chaser324  Moderator

@mrsmiley: I don't know...I kinda disagree with saying that there's no "trick" to it. In terms of execution, it's certainly far more straightforward for the most part, but discovering the correct path and the necessary series of events to access it will be far from simple. The level is covered with red herrings and places where Patrick could potentially waste a ton of time doing stuff that gets him no closer to actually figuring out how to reach the end.

mrsmiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#217  Edited By mrsmiley

@chaser324 said:

@mrsmiley: I don't know...I kinda disagree with saying that there's no "trick" to it. In terms of execution, it's certainly far more straightforward for the most part, but discovering the correct path and the necessary series of events to access it will be far from simple. The level is covered with red herrings and places where Patrick could potentially waste a ton of time doing stuff that gets him no closer to actually figuring out how to reach the end.

Right, but those aren't "tricks" as much as they are simply figuring out the puzzles in the level. To me, "trick" levels are the ones that require insane maneuvers by throwing and bouncing on shells, hitting items as they fall in mid-air, and stuff like that. Dan's level is basically a more-complicated version of a Nintendo-made Ghost House level than anything else. Those levels often require back-tracking, have false endings, etc that requires trial and error before completion.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing this level for a few hours now. I've tried a lot of stuff so far, but I'm still stumped. Ugh, this level is garbage.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzuel said:

I've been playing this level for a few hours now. I've tried a lot of stuff so far, but I'm still stumped. Ugh, this level is garbage.

I had the same experience, but I felt it was the good kind of garbage where I couldn't stop trying to beat it. But partially it's because I know Dan made this level...if it was made by some random person I probably wouldn't have seen it through to the end.

That's why I'm #TeamPatrick. Because a world where Dan Ryckert goes unchecked is a world that nobody should have to see.

IMO the "puzzle" aspect of it is kind of impressive (but I tend to enjoy puzzles that require some head bashing)...and there are so many places where the level could have been more dickish (i.e. a fire piranha here, spikes on the wall there). As it is the main troublesome parts from an execution perspective are (as you'd expect) the note blocks and ice blocks; it did take me about 75 tries once I'd figured out a viable approach to actually perform it without screwing up.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

After watching the playthrough I've completely changed my mind and I think it's going to be impossible for Patrick to beat it without looking at the editor. There are too many variables and specific things you need to do, it's like just making a gigantic pipe maze with a super specific path to beat it.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure Dan saying it took 150 tries to upload was just mind games. It's not really that hard once you know what to do. That being said, I highly doubt Patrick figures it out.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how much total time Patrick will actually sink into this level.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty obvious from watching Patrick play is that he has the speluky devil in him and he will dismantle the levels and finish them with out Dan's cheap tricks and foreknowledge.

The answer is clear make a level with all ? Blocks and invisible blocks. No more note blocks or level platforms. Make dead end that aren't obvious dead ends. make him stay in a area wondering why there is two or three invisible blocks that lead to a Vine and and one or two clouds. If you don't up your game Patrick will do it to you. Then we end up with a scenario where Patrick beat Dan's levels and Dan couldn't beat any of his levels.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally figured out what I need to do, completely by accident, after exhausting every option. Even knowing what to do, this level is fucked. I'm rooting for Patrick, and I think he can do it, but it's gonna be real hard.

I thought I was gonna beat it this last try, but the game fucked me over. It spawned the trampoline in a spot I couldn't grab. I tried running out, but then it despawned the bill blaster as a final fuck you. Here's a picture of my suffering.

I'm gonna take a break.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's pretty obvious from watching Patrick play is that he has the speluky devil in him and he will dismantle the levels and finish them with out Dan's cheap tricks and foreknowledge.

The answer is clear make a level with all ? Blocks and invisible blocks. No more note blocks or level platforms. Make dead end that aren't obvious dead ends. make him stay in a area wondering why there is two or three invisible blocks that lead to a Vine and and one or two clouds. If you don't up your game Patrick will do it to you. Then we end up with a scenario where Patrick beat Dan's levels and Dan couldn't beat any of his levels.

I dunno; I thought about the reverse of this challenge a few days ago when some people mentioned it, and Dan seems like the type of guy who would spend 18 hours a day for the 72 hours trying to beat the level just so that he could say he did and rub it in Patrick's face.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patrick could do this but I don't know.

mjbrune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly what my theory was in the first place a few days ago.

@mjbrune said:

The other part of this is that it's timed so all Dan really has to do is fill a LONG level with random crap like the GB stream levels and watch patrick never figure them out. "Take pipe 3-4-2-1-4-6-3-3-1-3-5-7-2-3" would be a solution that would take more than 72 hours to brute force. Specially with all the devious misdirection you can use. The path you thought was the answer and was working on for the last 5 hours turns out to be a pure dead end.

E.g. create a bunch of paths where you can easily waste time and have only the right one be obfuscated by random things. This is just the pipe theory without specific pipes. "Find a goomba in a load of crap, grab a star, make a jump, take the left door, grab a goomba, make a jump, take another door, do more random things. It's certainly a "trick" in the sense that the only way to finish the level is to either brute force the solution or decrypt the secrets of the level using the editor and work backwards from the flag.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate note blocks. They're usually what ruin my runs.

Also, I guess everyone grabs the goomba in the ice to kill the dry bones to get the trampoline? That seems way harder and less reliable than the way I've been killing the dry bones. You can grab the star next the dry bones, run into the hole, and then jump up from the exit of the hole to kill the dry bones. It's pretty reliable and I thought that was the intended way to do it until I started reading about how everyone else was doing it with the goomba. I guess if Dan is reading this, don't fix this if it's unintended. The level is already fucked enough.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

This stage is only a "puzzle" if a 1000 piece puzzle came with 10000 extra pieces that all look like they could belong but don't actually fit properly into the picture. Really want Patrick to win but it seems super unlikely to me, and I feel like Dan misrepresenting his stage is going to significantly handicap Patrick in his attempts unless he somehow can clear his mind of any expectations he might have.

jmacdoug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just beat it in 55 seconds with a difficult skip:

Get the star above the small tunnel, and time a running jump out of the tunnel's right side so you can kill the flying dry bones while invincible to get the trampoline.

Use the trampoline to get the P block, and bring both the trampoline and P block under the floating double doors. Position the trampoline in the middle of those two spaces, and position the P block half way off the left side of the trampoline so it bounces directly under the left door and gives you enough room to also use the trampoline to get up to the doors without triggering the P block.

If you time it absolutely perfectly, you can land on the bouncing P block and enter the left door during the handful of frames that the triggered P block actually holds you up.

From there, complete as normal.

Also, screw music blocks.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 chaser324  Moderator

@jmacdoug: Wow. That is pretty impressive, both in terms of having the imagination to see that path and executing it.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Quantris

@razzuel said:

I hate note blocks. They're usually what ruin my runs.

Also, I guess everyone grabs the goomba in the ice to kill the dry bones to get the trampoline? That seems way harder and less reliable than the way I've been killing the dry bones. You can grab the star next the dry bones, run into the hole, and then jump up from the exit of the hole to kill the dry bones. It's pretty reliable and I thought that was the intended way to do it until I started reading about how everyone else was doing it with the goomba. I guess if Dan is reading this, don't fix this if it's unintended. The level is already fucked enough.

People using the goomba are using the method where you bring the POW block from the start of the level to the end (taking the p-switch back is required for that AFAIK).

So, that strategy is basically:

1) use the cape to get the goomba -> take to end

2) use the goomba to get the p-switch -> take to near beginning

3) use the p-switch and get the POW block -> take to end

4) use the star to kill the dry-bones and get the trampoline

5) use the POW block and trampoline to enter the door (left one)

TBH, after a few tries you can get up to grabbing the POW block pretty reliably. It might seem that you might as well use the goomba to kill the Dry bones in step 2, but when I did this the trampoline had despawned when I returned with the POW block (and the dry bones + launcher was also gone, so stuck).

However, it turns out that you can enter the door off the P-switch instead of the POW block (haven't tried it but I guess the timing would be quite tight). then indeed you can skip right to 4 and use the trampoline to get the P-switch, and use both to get into the door. So is that what you're doing after getting that trampoline?

Another method (haven't done it myself, but described in previous commetns) is to use a peculiarity of SMM to get two trampolines; after getting the first one, then you can backtrack, enter the one pipe that you can return from, and go back and get another. I think to be able to do that you use the goomba to get the first one and the star to get the 2nd (easy since you have a trampoline)...but maybe having the trampoline is enough to be able to hit the DB without a star...I'm not sure. Anyway you can then use two trampolines to get in the door.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mjbrune said:

It's certainly a "trick" in the sense that the only way to finish the level is to either brute force the solution or decrypt the secrets of the level using the editor and work backwards from the flag.

I did neither of those and managed to beat it. I don't think Patrick would be expecting that what Dan means when he says "no tricks" is that every element of the level is contributing to progress towards the goal, i.e. if you don't die you'll beat the level. And certainly he won't be surprised that there are trap pipes or a 50-50 choice of which door to enter. You can go all the way to the end of the level without doing anything special and *see* that there are doors that you'll need some way to get to behind the one-way wall, right beside a P-switch that you'll need to jump up to or throw something at to get. And you can also see the very conspicuous POW block at the start of the level and obvious coin trail leading to the entrance of its spike-cage.

The cape and stars are also in plain sight. The goomba is a little out of the way but FWIW I found that area the first time I tried flying around with the cape...also those clouds are visible when running the level normally. The trampoline is the only part that I'd say is pretty unfairly hidden...I didn't even notice that DB had a launcher on his back until I accidentally killed him. Up to that point I thought I was trying to find enough POW blocks to build a tower (though due to despawning, it seems this can't really work unless you somehow juggle multiple POW blocks through the level).

Of course I did waste a lot of time pursuing a dead end in the underworld, but I would call this exploration rather than brute force...I was actively looking for a way to get a P-switch to use with the star + coin trail.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I would certainly not have beaten that level in 72 hours. It's way more creative than I expected.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say Patrick the man does not give up.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#236  Edited By yates

Gonna have to go with Ryckert on this one. All of the previous levels (while dirty) were definitely beatable. The fact that Dan knows where to go and it still took him hours to beat it doesn't fill me with much hope for Patrick.

EDIT: Ok yeah, after seeing the playthrough I'm even more convinced that Patrick won't be able to do this. Would love to be proven wrong!

samuelrgreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want Patrick to win but after seeing the level I can't fathom how anyone can finish it without knowing what to do / losing their mind.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Idk I played the level it was kind of boring. It's a lot of music blocks and a lot of "well I don't have this specific thing in this specific spot from this other part of the level so it's impossible to advance here" or "this entire section is meaningless" which is just really boring. I mean the trolling doesn't work when it's really predictable and that Dan has like ten other levels that do the same thing, it's just gimmick at that point. Hopefully Patrick can beat it, that would probably be more entertaining.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Ghostiet

@samuelrgreen: That's how Dan wins - either Patrick gives up or goes so crazy that he's able to figure it out, but he ends up irreparably broken.

Man, Dan Ryckert's heel turn got dark.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris: Oh, okay, I was misunderstanding how they were using the goomba. I didn't realize the bill blaster despawning was more of an issue than I originally thought. As for the P switch trick you and @jmacdoug mentioned, I actually had the same idea. I only tried it once and it didn't work. Knowing it works now though, I am totally trying it again!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I want Dan to win just cause it'll probably be funny, but Patrick is nothing if not one smart, persistent mofo so I'd be surprised if he didn't end up coming out on top.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gofundme campaign is just $80 short of hitting $4000 which is pretty cool!

I think given 72 hours and depending on what else he has to do in that time frame Patrick will do it. Looking at the videos of people completing it the execution is no harder and is probably easier than previous levels Dan has made but figuring out what to do is the problem. Patrick could spend hours wasting time in the sub-world. I know some people don't like the idea that the sub-world is a complete misdirection but I think for this sort of challenge it's fine. It's a legitimate way to stress someone out in a challenge that's meant to stress people out.

Batavist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, Patrick has started. Was there a way for Dan, to only release his level when Patrick was about to start? He should have done it if there is, Twitch chat is on thin ice with some comments, and according to other comments in the water.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaoot: Let the misdirection begin.. I wonder if Dirty Dan has any other tricks up his sleeve.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By BoFooQ

having just seeing patrick's first run I have to assume he not even close. I'm guying he need the p switch at end to coins into runway to fly out. I'm guessing he should take the star on the way back too so he can fly and die on spikes.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By hatking

Man, Twitch chat sucks even when it is mostly civilized people. They just can't control themselves. "Please no hints on the level." Seems like a pretty straightforward request, and not an opening to debate the semantics about "hint" while expelling all of the tricks in the level. Patrick seems to be doing a good job avoiding the hints, but I feel bad for the people who were trying to watch this thing without knowing the level beforehand.

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

89 Ryckonings (deaths) during Patrick's first run. He will tweet when he continues his mental bre.. journey. He approximated 6:pm as his starting time, which is in.. approximately 8~ hours from now.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@chaoot: Not particularly. In order for that to happen, Patrick would've had to give Dan the go ahead to upload it, but then wait for Dan to finish the level himself to actually upload it. Or the other way, Patrick sits by a phone waiting for the call from Dan that it's up. But realistically that's not a viable option because it'd result in Patrick sitting around waiting and putting everything else on hold.

What Dan could've potentially done would be to upload it using a ghost account and not give anyone the code for it other than Patrick but as this thread shows, giving out the code helped Dan find two short cuts that he then removed from the original upload.

@hatking - some people just can't help themselves. I think Patrick would be better playing this without Twitch chat enabled and anyone else who wants to see it happen clean do so too.

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

Man, Twitch chat sucks even when it is mostly civilized people. They just can't control themselves. "Please no hints on the level." Seems like a pretty straightforward request, and not an opening to debate the semantics about "hint" while expelling all of the tricks in the level. Patrick seems to be doing a good job avoiding the hints, but I feel bad for the people who were trying to watch this thing without knowing the level beforehand.

Yup... I came in blind, and didn't want any spoilers at all whatsoever. Luckily for me, as I was busy keeping the death counter going so I didn't read the chat. I hope Patrick turns off the chat completely from his side so that he cannot read it at all.

I do agree with you that it is annoying, but what can one do? Well, turn off the chat seems to, sadly, be the only option.

tomservo50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By tomservo50

@hatking:

agree. I watched the first two GB levels created before Patrick played them, and the best part of watching him play them was his own little discoveries that no one thought about when making the level. I remember watching him play GB level 1 at first frustrated that he wasn't trying to run through the springs, then he did that cool double spring thing with Bowser and I thought "man, can't wait to see what crazy novel discovery he makes next." I'm pretty sure part of the joy Jeff and Dan get from watching Patrick's Mario Maker videos is due to that as well.

This time I'm trying to go in blind and just discover the level as Patrick does, but yeah the chat sure likes to spoil things. What's worse, having watched a number of Patrick's other live streams, is that Patrick's chat is normally pretty positive, fun and mostly spoiler free when he's only pulling 1000 or so viewers. The times when he's done the GB levels have tended to be both spoilery and (at least starting with the GB level 2 run) have a less positive atmosphere to them. I can understand some of the sentiment for the spoilery stuff, but considering that Dan made his level away from mass viewing and that he made a puzzle level in the spirit of Suspicious Skyfort, the spoilers here give away a lot of the fun to be discovered. Regarding the atmosphere, today especially might have been some of the most negative chat I've seen on any of Patrick's streams, and it was clearly coming from elements within the GB community. There are people here that really need to a) chill out and take video game stuff less seriously, and/or b) not feel the need to parade spoilers to show how much more they know.