Will the 299 Elite offset the PS3 Slim?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Do you guys think that the 299 Elite will offset the 299 PS3 slim. Both have a 120gb HDD, but PS3 has Bluray, and other features 360 dosent. However, wether or not people care about those features is up to argument. Personally, to me a 299 PS3 is a better deal than a 299 360. I do hope this turns out well for sony, since I personally believe they have the better syestem this gen, but thats my opinon.
Ninjakid7396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Ninjakid7396

no because more people were waiting for a price drop to buy the ps3 now that a price drop has happened it will sell very well

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Baillie

Hey mr. blue name! 

Um, I'm not sure. I think the 360 is more widely recognised now rather than the PS3. I would like the PS3 to start pulling in a lot more sales though.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ravensword

Heres another question: can sony pull ahead of Microsoft now that they have this? They still have about a 8 million unit lead on SONY.
bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bubahula

i dont think so because my friend was going to sell his 60g  ps3 for a slim but he ended up with an elite because of online and he never used bluray,
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Baillie

Oh right, yeah I forgot about that aspect, Bubahula...

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Cube
@Raven_Sword said:
" Heres another question: can sony pull ahead of Microsoft now that they have this? They still have about a 8 million unit lead on SONY. "
8m isn't really that much when you look at how much Sony led the competition in PS1/PS2 era. 

I think people blow it out of proportion.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ravensword

Is it even a big deal if SONY is third this gen? I mean, as long as there profiting (which they soon will be) than the games will still keep coming, and if they sell Respectably, I cant see Developers dropping support or taking it less seriously.
bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bubahula
@Baillie said:
"Oh right, yeah I forgot about that aspect, Bubahula... "

im just sayin that alot of people are buying 360s because they know lots of people to play online with,
harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By harrisonave

The slim PS3 is going to sell well, but it's not going to remain strong.  I think we'll see a spike once they hit shelves, and through the holidays, when all those people that were waiting finally bite.  After that, I see Sony right back in the same position it is now.  When it's all said and done, I fee like it's going to come down to software.  And while I'm excited about a handful of PS3 games right now, I honestly feel like the 360 has the better software lineup.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By jkz

The slim will pull in a huge wave of sales, and then settle into a sales pattern with probably about a 15% or so increase in sales prior to the re-design/price drop. In other words, it will have stronger sales, but not strong enough to catch up to the 360, and of course nothing will ever catch the Wii. 

Oh look, I sound like bloody Michael Pachter

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#12  Edited By Valkyr

It is going to catch up due to strong Japanese sales, Persona 5, FF XIII, FF VS XIII and Tales of Vesperia will do the trick, great sales boosts with each release. European sales may skyrocket too, it was always a Sony territory and a lot of people must have been  waiting for a price drop. Remember the 360 launched a year early, wouldn't the install base be equal if they had launched at the same time?.

DirtyFuture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DirtyFuture

I think most people who wanted an xbox at $299 already have one, while I think there are a lot of people who were waiting for a ps3 price cut.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By get2sammyb
@Baillie said:

" Hey mr. blue name!  Um, I'm not sure. I think the 360 is more widely recognised now rather than the PS3. I would like the PS3 to start pulling in a lot more sales though. "

That's a crazy thing to say. I see where you're coming from but dude, this still has the word Playstation on the box, despite the PS3 being in last place the brand still carries a helluva lot of weight worldwide. There are still people who refer to video game systems as "the Playstation" just because the brand is massive.

If Sony get the marketing spot on, they could steal a lot of the 360 Elites thunder. But it's ALL going to depend on perception. They have to get it right. They have to make sure people know that the PS3 is not only affordable, but it's also pretty darn feature-laden and thus much better value for money; especially in areas such as media hub, wi-fi and most importantly Playstation Network -- the latter of which they really need to start pushing as a brand. I think people naturally jump to the conclusion Live is better, and while I'm not going to argue that point (Live is very good), the PSN has caught up to Live in a massive way. They need to make sure people know that too.

I think it's the XBOX 360 Arcade that will offset the PS3 Slim however.
Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Reuben
@DirtyFuture said:
" I think most people who wanted an xbox at $299 already have one, while I think there are a lot of people who were waiting for a ps3 price cut. "
This is pretty much what I was going to say.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By Cerza

I don't think a cheaper 360 elite will offset the new PS3 slim, because everyone who wants a 360 already has one, or two, or three pretty much. However, a lot of people that want a PS3 don't have one yet, because they said it was too expensive and have been waiting for the price to drop. Well, now the price drop is here so my guess is those people will now buy a PS3.

Anarchist4Eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Anarchist4Eva

Too early to tell. Sony seriously dropped the ball early with the PS3. But there is light at the end of the tunnel if they don't screw the proverbial pooch even further. Keep the quality of games high, no half baked ports from 3rd parties. Make it at least on parity with 360 or better (Utilizing some of those extra cores in the cell perhaps?) can help out here. Keep boosting PSN. It's not on par with XBL, but since it is free it's still a great value. Uncharted 2, GOW3, GT5, Mod Nation Racers, & more feature laden hardware that doesn't break down can close the gap. But no more of this talk; "We offer value that nobody else can at this price point." That kind of marketing speak when PS3 was $599 was a near death blow to the brand.

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Clubvodka

I don't think so either. I have an Elite and my family has a ps3, I would like a PS3 of my own to take to universty with me, especially for blu ray since I now have a HD TV however I'm no rush I played Metal Gear, Little Big Planet was fun and for now I'm content with my PS2 and Persona.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By wefwefasdf

They still have a lot to make up for and being the owner of two systems, the PS3 has been on the back burner as far as games. I can't afford two consoles worth of games so I only buy top exclusives for the PS3.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Quacktastic

More people will perceive the PS3 price drop as an actual drop in price.
The 360 Elite at 299 is cool but I think people have seen a 299 price tag (and 199) next to the 360 for a while now.