Avatar image for sir_loin_of_beef
#1 Edited by Sir_Loin_of_Beef (80 posts) -

The previous two years of Hitsmas were amazing, but I didn't get my fill of Hitman 2 from this years Winter Games. Will there be a Hitsmas this year?

UPDATE: Yes, there will be a Hitsmas this year! :D

#2 Posted by Shiftygism (807 posts) -

I think both that and Rockband are safe bets.

#3 Posted by davidfox1983 (130 posts) -

I’m hoping for Hitsmas and a Super Mario Party Party.

The Sims stuff has been interesting but my fingers are crossed that that isn’t ALL we get with just a different staff member doing it each day.

#4 Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef (80 posts) -

@shiftygism: I totally forgot about Rock Band! I hope they both happen :)

#5 Posted by glots (4229 posts) -

If the one hitting today is Hitsmas, then we're in for a treat. Day five's video with just over an hour would seem like a good candidate for Rock Band.

#6 Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef (80 posts) -

@glots: *crosses his fingers* Please be Hitsmas today :D

#7 Posted by NeoCalypso (745 posts) -

There's no way we don't get a Hitmas with 1. As popular as the "series" is and 2. the part where a new Hitman came out this year and it's one of the best games of the year.

#8 Edited by ripelivejam (13074 posts) -

Dat length = Super Mario Party Party?? = Blinking white guy himself on GB????

#9 Posted by ltcolumbo (133 posts) -

@ripelivejam: yeah, that’s the thing: if they do Mario Party, Drew has to be part of it. This is his legacy now.

#10 Edited by OMGFather (1015 posts) -

The 3:49:29 video is definitely Hitsmas

EDIT: Well FML, it's God damn Mario Party...

#11 Posted by Efesell (4255 posts) -

Okay maybe it wasn't Hitsmas.

But..it's worth it for the intro alone.

#12 Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef (80 posts) -

@efesell: Yeah. The Intro was nice, but I'm not watching almost four hours of Mario Party. Here's hoping for Hitsmas tomorrow! :D

#13 Posted by OMGFather (1015 posts) -

Even if that is Hitsmas, it's under 2 hours of Hitsmas and almost 4 hours of Mario Party. That ain't right.

#14 Posted by TheMasterDS (2971 posts) -

Maybe tomorrow's videos are both Hitsmas? A two parter for no reason like on Tuesday?

#15 Posted by stinger061 (462 posts) -

Ironically now that most of the crew are more confident with the mechanics it's likely any Hitman content will be shorter. A lot of the chaos and hilarious moments in the past stemmed from indecision or not fully grasping the various states of suspicious, trespassing, compromised etc.

#16 Posted by Panfoot (290 posts) -

Looks like it's Day 5 or bust...gonna be super disappointed if we don't get one this year.

#17 Posted by ChangingShade (25 posts) -

@panfoot said:

Looks like it's Day 5 or bust...gonna be super disappointed if we don't get one this year.

We aren't getting one, the Day 3 podcast has a bit around the 4 hour mark (that clearly wasn't supposed to be recorded) where Vinny mentions Hitsmas and Brad says they aren't doing it. They clearly just scheduled badly and ran out of time.

#18 Posted by glots (4229 posts) -

Real shame about no Hitsmas, when there’s such amazing new levels they could’ve done. But I suppose it’s nice that they’re keeping things fresh.

#20 Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef (80 posts) -

If it's true that it isn't happening this year then that's a shame :( it's just not Christmas without Hitsmas. I'm sure they must've considered it though, but now I'm curious to know why it won't be happening.

#21 Posted by TheMasterDS (2971 posts) -

They brought back Winter Games but not Hitsmas?

#22 Posted by shepdelonge (46 posts) -

No Hitmas is very disappointing. The GOTY content this year is largely disappointing and comes across as a little lazy in all honesty. Three pointless podcasts talking about games in an attempt to streamline the awards process, and video content like Mario Party that was once it’s own feature and has now been shoehorned into the GOTY stuff. I really hope they re-think the whole thing for next year because if it’s just going to be Winter Games and Rock Band again then I won’t be watching, and I love this time of the year at GB.

#23 Edited by Shiftygism (807 posts) -

If it were me, I'd compile the GotY list and pull all discussions of them from both podcasts and put them up the week before as GotY prep....basically what they're doing now. Then open the week with a collection of short confessional style videos where each of the crew discusses their top ten which they can produce well in advance leading to a heavily streamlined category rundown slash nomination process and winner deliberation over two podcasts running no longer than eight hours total.

The rest of that time? Devoted to video content. The current setup has gotta be hell for many involved, especially GBE, it's incredibly redundant if you're a regular listener (even more so if you watch the new review videos), and there's just no reason to spend over twenty hours crammed in a tiny room like sardines going into discussion that heavy for something that doesn't really matter outside the few people that still for some reason place importance on this sort of thing.

GotY should take a backseat to entertaining segments like Rock Band, Hitsmas, etc. That is what I personally look forward to, and revisit multiple times a year, but the endless deliberations? I'll skip around. It's time wasted when there's better stuff they can do. This however, is coming from a non-subcriber who digests way more podcast content than their livestreams so understandably I'm gonna feel the holiday stuff feels incredibly lopsided. I still enjoy it despite my gripes, but feel like they should revamp the hell out of it next year.

#24 Posted by Panfoot (290 posts) -

@panfoot said:

We aren't getting one, the Day 3 podcast has a bit around the 4 hour mark (that clearly wasn't supposed to be recorded) where Vinny mentions Hitsmas and Brad says they aren't doing it. They clearly just scheduled badly and ran out of time.

Huge bummer, I've grown to dislike the actual GOTY stuff and don't bother with it anymore so that was kind of the only thing I was looking forward.

#26 Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef (80 posts) -

@panfoot said:

I got to that part in the day three deliberations podcast earlier, and you're right. It sounds like they just ran out of time to film other content. To be honest the GB crew probably feel worse than we do about it not happening this year. They know Hitsmas is a good laugh but they just couldn't fit it into the schedule.

#27 Posted by TheMasterDS (2971 posts) -

Look at the schedule right now everyone, it’s a Hitsmas Miracle!

#28 Posted by Panfoot (290 posts) -

Oh thank Santa 47!

#29 Posted by Shiftygism (807 posts) -

Wait....does that mean there's no Rock Band?

How can you have no Rock Band?

Worst Holiday Special-Tacular EVER.

#30 Edited by Sir_Loin_of_Beef (80 posts) -

@themasterds said:

Look at the schedule right now everyone, it’s a Hitsmas Miracle!

Woah, wait. Where's the schedule post confirming Hitsmas?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it! I'm using the new site layout and it doesn't show up on there..... but Hitsmas is coming to town!! :D

#31 Posted by BertyLurch (10 posts) -

@shepdelonge said:

No Hitmas is very disappointing. The GOTY content this year is largely disappointing and comes across as a little lazy in all honesty.

Maybe let's wait until all the content this year has actually been posted, before declaring it as lazy? Legitimately curious, what strikes this year's content as "lazy" or 'Disappointing' to you? As with every year, I'm thoroughly enjoying watching the content. Trying a new format with the discussions (which was needed!), plenty of guest articles to read through and hours of video content; especially with Abby and Ben continuing to be a great addition to the site - especially so with the new 'create-a-sim' feature.

They are in a tricky situation I'm sure, between stuck doing 'old favorites' such as hitmas and winter games while keeping them fresh and entertaining; or trying something new and have everyone complaining they didn't do X feature. Personally, I think it's as good as ever.

Hitmas is dropping today, according to the 'upcoming' table; btw.

#32 Posted by musclerider (891 posts) -

@bertylurch:

Personally in my personal opinion which I came to on my own (personally):

My favorite parts of old GOTY were the dumb skits (Fake TV Shows, Giant Bomb FMV Game, etc.), staff members highlighting some individual games, and the daily write ups for the silly categories (Character I'd Most Like to Party With, etc.). The guest lists have never been something that I cared all that much about since I come to this site specifically for the people who work for this site.

New podcast format where the first 3 days are spent reiterating their general opinions on every big release throughout the year and then nominating them as they go. I guess the idea was to have less games in the actual deliberation part but get games talked about anyway. Even then, pretty much every game got nominated for 2-3 categories which made the two episodes where they actually did deliberations insanely long. I liked coming to the site and seeing the 3-4 categories that got chosen that day and having the episodes be more compartmentalized.

I also think that a couple of features like the Create-A-Sim, Millenials React, and Smash Melee were incredibly disappointing. I loved Deadly Sims but my favorite part was the part where they were playing the Sims. The Millenials video was like Game Tapes without the best part of Game Tapes (people who were there talking about the event or time period). The Smash video just had a single joke that it ran into the ground for 45 minutes.

For all the love Donut County got from Jeff on the podcasts just give me a video where he shows it off for 30 minutes and I would've preferred that to any of the three videos I mentioned above.