Will they have to announce PS4/720 at the VGAs?

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By rachelepithet

360 was unveiled in early May 05 leading up to E3 a few weeks later. But in today's industry, the big games of next Christmas are usually announced the Christmas before. Skyrim, Arkham City, LA Noire, and others have used late fall/ early winter reveals to get every ounce of hype they can, especially now that E3s are a month or two later than the old days. GTA5, Metal Gear 5, Bioshock, 1313, Last of Us, Tomb Raider, Gears Judgment are all off wraps. You gotta think that anything new to be announced at the VGAs or on January issue game mag covers, must be a next gen game, or at least one expected to be on both PS3 and PS4 (next Need for Speed, Madden, Modern Warfare) Do you think they'd promo a next gen game this winter without announcing the new systems?

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#2  Edited By Lazyaza

They won't show the new consoles, those are definitely reserved for big E3 reveals but some next gen game trailers? sure don't see why not.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JasonR86

That would be an awful idea. The VGA announcements seem to me to be for products consumers would be able to buy relatively quickly. New consoles won't be out for likely another year. Plus new console announcements are usually reserved for business conventions. Though E3 doesn't always look the part, it is a business convention where business gets done. The VGAs are a fluff show that aren't conducent to proper business.

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By natedawg_kz

The PS VITA 2!!!!

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Nope, they will show them at E3 2013!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#6  Edited By StarvingGamer

Nope, not unless the VGA's are going to give them an hour to talk. Each.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll point you to E3, and then I'll see you (and maybe some new consoles) there.

The VGA's are not the forum for announces consoles, it is the right place for 30 second trailers, not long announcements.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#8  Edited By Little_Socrates

It'd be a lot more interesting than watching the host eat people's food and joke about refilling his health bar or watching Felicia Day use only her face to drop cupcakes into a tupperware container.

If either of those consoles has a strong exclusive launch lineup, I wouldn't be surprised to see a console at this year's VGAs. In fact, I've very much had the same thought myself. If the launches for Orbis and Durango are gonna be a bit light on exclusive or early software, though, they're gonna wait till E3.

I can almost guarantee we'll see some more Tomb Raider, Gears Judgment, and The Last of Us, though. Maybe some more of BioShock Infinite and GTA V, but those games really don't need a lot more hype going into them.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By TruthTellah

@boocreepyfootdoctor: You may see a few "next-gen" trailers before E3(some that leak, as well), but the consoles won't be getting announced at an event smaller than E3.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Mystyr_E

GDC announcement or their own personal event with base specs or functionality with full reveals of actual games at E3 is my prediction

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rachelepithet

Don't you guys think mid-June is a little late to hype consoles now? Especially when the big two are battling for one holiday season. I bet one of the two will jump the gun and get details out early enough to the mainstream audience, the kind that watches the VGAs to see the hot girls from maxim mags presenting awards... the kind that doesn't read Patrick Klepik stories or watches E3 via stacked windows of live streams, the kind that walks into a GameStop in September and gets asked if he wants to preorder Asassins Creed 3 and goes "oh, shit, they making assassins creed three?!"

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By willin

Maybe they only announce the name, a logo and a photo of the console but that's a big maybe.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By alternate

I agree with most that VGAs are too small but I would voted for shortly prior to E3 at their own events. There will be some gamesmanship about who announces first - after last time neither can afford to give the other a head start. you might even see the crazy situation where both launch the same day :o

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By sirdesmond

@Little_Socrates said:

It'd be a lot more interesting than watching the host eat people's food and joke about refilling his health bar or watching Felicia Day use only her face to drop cupcakes into a tupperware container.

Yea, while I'm sure that neither company will do any sort of console unveil at the awards, I would be far more interested in them if they did.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind

It would be a terrible idea to announce shiny new consoles for next year just before Christmas. They want people to keep buying 360's/PS3's for now.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By impartialgecko

What are they going to announce at the VGAs this year anyway? The VGAs have become the event to announce your mass-appeal games at and neither Sony or Microsoft are going to allow anyone to announce next-gen releases until E3 when the consoles are unveiled. Trailer-wise, what's going to fill that time?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'm expecting trailers for some of the games of 2013 that we already know about. Bioshock Infinite, Watch Dogs, Remember Me, Last of Us, and Tomb Raider seem pretty likely to make an appearance.

There's an outside chance that you might see a game destined for next gen consoles, but there won't be any mention of the hardware.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By mclargepants

E3 is too late to announce the systems. I'm still assuming they are coming out next year, because they really need to come out next year. They could easily throw their own events to debut them, but wait for E3 for demos of the games and such. There's also CES.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mcmax3000

For anyone thinking CES, remember that Microsoft isn't doing a CES keynote this year, so at the very least, the chance of a new Xbox being unveiled at CES is just ever so slightly above zero.

I'd say E3 is most likely. There are still a lot of BIG games coming out in the first six, or so months of 2013 (Bioshock, Last of Us, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell, GTA V, DMC, Dead Space 3, Metal Gear, Gears, God of War, Crysis 3) that they will want people's attention to be on. Announcing the new consoles before the end of this year will take the attention off of all of those releases early next year, so I'd say there's no way they get announced before E3 (or within E3 timeframe, maybe at an Xbox/Playstation specific event shortly before).

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By L44

Maybe like an announcement of an upcoming announcement?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

I don't think you're supposed to announce new consoles at a funeral.

begilerath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By begilerath

@boocreepyfootdoctor said:

Don't you guys think mid-June is a little late to hype consoles now? Especially when the big two are battling for one holiday season. I bet one of the two will jump the gun and get details out early enough to the mainstream audience, the kind that watches the VGAs to see the hot girls from maxim mags presenting awards... the kind that doesn't read Patrick Klepik stories or watches E3 via stacked windows of live streams, the kind that walks into a GameStop in September and gets asked if he wants to preorder Asassins Creed 3 and goes "oh, shit, they making assassins creed three?!"

Yep and that is why I believe there wont be next gen consoles by the end of the next year, if they were they would have announced them by now.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By AndrewB

@Video_Game_King said:

I don't think you're supposed to announce new consoles at a funeral.

A funeral sponsored by Mountain Dew, no less.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mcmax3000

@Begilerath said:

Yep and that is why I believe there wont be next gen consoles by the end of the next year, if they were they would have announced them by now.

360 wasn't announced until the week of E3 2005, so I wouldn't take that as a certainty that we won't have new consoles next year.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By AndrewB

I think we can all take the stagnant sales numbers and first-party title releases, as well as murmurings of people switching to PC who don't normally play PC games to indicate that it will definitely be next year (shown at E3). At least on the Microsoft side of things.

The VGAs will have trailers for next-gen games, but they won't have a platform name attached to them.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@JasonR86 said:

That would be an awful idea. The VGA announcements seem to me to be for products consumers would be able to buy relatively quickly. New consoles won't be out for likely another year. Plus new console announcements are usually reserved for business conventions. Though E3 doesn't always look the part, it is a business convention where business gets done. The VGAs are a fluff show that aren't conducent to proper business.

Not really, a lot of games are announced at the VGAs. And I think more people watch the VGAs. There is a reason E3 isn't a big place for announcing consoles, only the enthusiast press really covers much of it, and so all the mainstream get out of E3 is "There will be a new PlayStation." Mind as well announce it on a televised event that might actually get some attention. Buy up half an hour of time on a big network, run a quick, highly polished announcement show there, and get actual penetration with the mainstream audience. eave E3 for showing enthusiast press what kind of cool new things will be happening on the new consoles.

I don't expect the VGAs will be the place, but it won't be E3 either.

@adam1808 said:

What are they going to announce at the VGAs this year anyway? The VGAs have become the event to announce your mass-appeal games at and neither Sony or Microsoft are going to allow anyone to announce next-gen releases until E3 when the consoles are unveiled. Trailer-wise, what's going to fill that time?

E3 is not going to be the announcement of new consoles, it happens much too late. And we've already had two games announced that will run on next generation platforms. All they have to do is not announce platforms.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#27  Edited By EpicSteve

Nope

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#28  Edited By Soap

I think they are probably going to announce them at E3 next year, although to me it feels like that isn't giving them enough time to prep it for a late autumn release, especially if they take any feedback on board.

I think ideally they should announce at or around CES, it's early enough in the year that they can get the initial announcement out of the way with just a trailer or two and then come and hit hard at E3 with features and prices.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Phatmac

No way.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WinterSnowblind said:

It would be a terrible idea to announce shiny new consoles for next year just before Christmas. They want people to keep buying 360's/PS3's for now.

This

And then again E3 seems a little too late, so spring?

I can't wait to hear some more about the next gen tho

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mcmax3000

@MordeaniisChaos said:

There is a reason E3 isn't a big place for announcing consoles, only the enthusiast press really covers much of it, and so all the mainstream get out of E3 is "There will be a new PlayStation." Mind as well announce it on a televised event that might actually get some attention.

E3 isn't a big place for announcing consoles? If that was the case, why has pretty much every other console been announced at E3?

It's not just the enthusiast press that is covers E3 anymore. Just look at a couple of years ago, when Microsoft was first really showing off Kinect (as in 2010, when it was an actual product, not the year before when it was an on stage prototype), the first outlet that showed it off was Good Morning America. You just don't hear much from the non-enthusiast press when there isn't anything big to cover. If there's something big, they will cover it.

The VGAs aren't much more mainstream than the E3 press conferences at this point. Hell, they air on the same channel. All Microsoft and/or Sony has to do is schedule their briefing for primetime, and I bet it will do as well as, if not better than, the VGAs from a ratings standpoint, and certainly better than the VGAs from a coverage standpoint.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By gamer_152

We might see some new trailers, but big new game announcements are really not what the VGAs are about. They're about recognising the games that are already out there, and Dane Cook performances.

Avatar image for dontgetanybigideas
DontGetAnyBigIdeas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lazyaza said:

They won't show the new consoles, those are definitely reserved for big E3 reveals but some next gen game trailers? sure don't see why not.

This statement is pretty spot on. Chances are we will hear about the specs and maybe see tech demo videos, but E3 2013 is where the consoles will likely be on the floor, playable and with launch line-ups being announced. For those who have been complaining about less than stellar E3's of later, this year should be a really good one.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By scroll

I would bet on Microsoft having their own special event to announce it in the next few months building up to specific details of specs and announcement of launch date at E3.

begilerath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By begilerath

@mcmax3000 said:

@Begilerath said:

360 wasn't announced until the week of E3 2005, so I wouldn't take that as a certainty that we won't have new consoles next year.

I did not know that, well I guess if that is MS way of doing things there is a chance that there is going to be a new console next year. But I still don't believe is a certainty that there is going to be a new console next year, like most people seem to think.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Bollard

@Begilerath said:

@boocreepyfootdoctor said:

QFT

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@boocreepyfootdoctor:

It's not too late, it worked out ok with the 360. Also I still think PS4 is 2014 fall, maybe spring if they push it forward so they won't be looking at an early announcement. I've always found it kinda weird that nintendo and sony announced stuff so far in advance.

Games will be announced with no consoles attached to them, that's how companies will get around that.

@mcmax3000: yep the 360 is full of stuff Q1&2 leaving the holiday season completely empty (points to new systems). Where as the PS3 looks like it'll probably have Last of Us come fall/winter(which is why I think, they think, they won't need a new console). Even if consoles were announced in, say February, it's not like games are just going to stop selling.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mcmax3000

@BlatantNinja23 said:

yep the 360 is full of stuff Q1&2 leaving the holiday season completely empty (points to new systems). Where as the PS3 looks like it'll probably have Last of Us come fall/winter(which is why I think, they think, they won't need a new console). Even if consoles were announced in, say February, it's not like games are just going to stop selling.

The games won't, but the console itself likely would, and with so many games coming out the first half of next year, it could drive some hardware purchases, so I think it would be a mistake to do an announcement until most of those games have launched, which most of them will have launched by E3 next year.

They may not first be revealed at E3, but I don't think it will be too long before that (as in, no earlier than May).

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kindgineer

I don't see them releasing much news about the next generation systems with (so many) huge hits making their way out of the wrapping paper soon. The idea of watching a reveal and knowing that everything I'll be playing up until Q4 2013 will be obsolete will be killer for many. The next-generation of consoles are mostly going to be about graphical power (and a few technological ideas) - so that sort of scare could mean a lot less of sales.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ExplodeMode

I think there is a chance Microsoft could tease something, like showing a trailer that looks too good for 360. I don't see Sony doing it.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Mystyr_E said:

GDC announcement or their own personal event with base specs or functionality with full reveals of actual games at E3 is my prediction

It put money on that or a early 2013 MS press event. But a VGA teaser wouldn't be out of the question, Skyrim had it's reveal there, also I wonder if Rockstar is working on GTAV for the next Xbox, would maybe be the greatest launch title ever.

@WinterSnowblind said:

Good point but the PSP is still outselling the Vita, this would be an expensive machine aswell which people coming this late into a console cycle would avoid.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@mcmax3000 said:

@BlatantNinja23 said:

yep the 360 is full of stuff Q1&2 leaving the holiday season completely empty (points to new systems). Where as the PS3 looks like it'll probably have Last of Us come fall/winter(which is why I think, they think, they won't need a new console). Even if consoles were announced in, say February, it's not like games are just going to stop selling.

The games won't, but the console itself likely would, and with so many games coming out the first half of next year, it could drive some hardware purchases, so I think it would be a mistake to do an announcement until most of those games have launched, which most of them will have launched by E3 next year.

They may not first be revealed at E3, but I don't think it will be too long before that (as in, no earlier than May).

people always say that it'll cut into sales but history (PS2, DS) as proven that this isn't the case. There is a clear reason for this. The market of people that want to buy a 360 or ps3 this/next year, is a very different market that will buy the new consoles. Most likely it's price conscious consumers who would never buy a $400+ console. The amount of people who are still thinking of a 360 and would decide to instead wait and pay twice as much for the new console is incredibly low. If they have waited this long, I doubt they care about what the new console even contains.