Will websites crash for Xbox Series X and S like it did for Playstation 5?

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Poll Will websites crash for Xbox Series X and S like it did for Playstation 5? (52 votes)

Of course, it will sell out right away! 52%
They will have more preoders up front, it will be fine. 27%
Maybe not enough interest right away? 12%
Show answers 10%

I'm curious since Microsoft announced the exact times that retailers will be putting up the consoles, if the websites will crash from server load trying to preorder them or not. I don't believe Sony is entirely at fault with their mess on pre orders, since Walmart literally said, "Nah we aren't gonna wait." and everyone followed right after. But since it's next week, they could also sell out day one too, especially since the Series S is so cheap.

• 
navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think it’ll be fine, or at least better than the mess of PS5 preorders. I’m basing that on two things. One, there’s inherently less upfront hype for Xbox given the discrepancy in current gen install base. And two, Xbox preorders will be both physical and online at approximately the same time. I know I’m planning on walking into EB at 11 AM EST, for instance, so that’s one less person furiously refreshing their browser.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@navster15: I was considering doing the same for the PS5 at like a Best Buy or something, but every store I checked was sold out in store

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will absolutely be exactly the same.

Sony, while they didn't post a specific time, came out and gave a date just like Microsoft. How people are managing to throw Sony under the bus for this i have no idea other than not actually caring.

The only reason it was an absolute shit show was because Walmart decided to literally come out and say they are breaking street date(which unlike actual releases has no legal protection from Sony) and every other retailer followed suit(except Amazon who waited until midnight of the 17th).

Basically, be ready on the 21st, not the 22nd like Microsoft says.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anything, I'd think it's going to be worse. Sure, the PS5 things was a shitshow, but the way it went down meant that there were a ton of people who weren't looking because they had no idea that pre-orders had gone up. The websites still crashed anyway. Assuming another retailer doesn't break the XBOX street date, everyone is going to be sitting at their computer waiting for the exact second pre-orders go live.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Retailers need to implement captcha checks to at least slowdown the wave of bots from scalpers.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: I remember the last go around where the launch allocation of PS4’s and X1’s sold out immediately, but stock stabilized in the next month or so that most people could reasonably get a console. Seeing the scalper market subsequently take a nosedive was incredibly satisfying to watch. Here’s hoping that happens again.

krulon87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@navster15: not sure where you live or what the gaming culture is like near you but as a former employee of GameStop I would recommend maybe getting in line at 10 if you want to avoid the long lines.