Will you be getting into any of the upcoming CCGs?

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Poll Will you be getting into any of the upcoming CCGs? (189 votes)

Magic The Gathering Arena 20%
Artifact 20%
Gwent 11%
No, I'll stick with Hearthstone 7%
No, I'll stick with a smaller CCG (Elder Scrolls, Faeria, etc) 3%
No, I have no interest in playing a CCG 51%

What happened? Goodbye Battle Royale, hello CCGs...again?

I'm not sure how this happened, but it occurred to me that we'll soon be bombarded with a ton of new CCGs on the market. While competition is always welcome in an industry, I'm worried about how this may split the CCG community. Hopefully there's enough folks into CCGs that each game can thrive.

Any who, are you going to give any of these games a shot? I know Gwent and Artifact both have me intrigued at the very least. Whether they'll actually be able to steal any legitimate amount of time away from me while I'm consumed with Red Dead, Hitman, and AC: Odyssey is a different story altogether though.

• 
MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'd like to play Artifact and Arena casually but I'd be way more interested if there were singleplayer campaign or seasons to play and earn cards through. Also I was way more interested in Artifact before it solidified how it doles out cards. The Dota abstraction in card form seems really interesting since I like the push and pull of Dota games but if the meta means paying twenty dollars for a hot card via the market I'll probably drop it.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive been playing MTG arena and it seems ok so far, i wish there was an easier way to get into the draft mode without forking out real money or grinding/using decks i dont like to earn enough of the free currency.

Im really excited for artifact and i think the business model is getting misunderstood, people thinking of a system like hearthstone with no way to get packs outside of paying, but in artifact there are no legendary rarities and the cards you sell will net you much closer to their true value than a game like hearthstone where you get half or sometimes less of its value in dust. Having only common, uncommon, and rare also simplifies and doesnt make anything feel out of reach.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@merxworx01: You should check out Thronebreaker then if you haven't heard of it! It looks like it's going to be a really great CCG/RPG hybrid experience. It's the stand-alone, single-player Gwent spinoff game that CRPR are developing. It comes out later this month I believe.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'll probably play the Magic one for a week and then forget about it, just like Elder Scrolls Legends and Hearthstone before it.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_denim: are they changing anything mechanics of the game from the in-game version? From what I've heard it seems interesting that they are making a full on RPG of the card game.

Unfortunately I'm just not a fan of how the game plays.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By big_denim

@merxworx01: The core concept remains somewhat similar to the original version in Witcher 3, though they've made some significant changes and overhauls (reduce game to 2 rows per team, a lot more cards and abilities, some cards can now 'damage' opposing players cards, etc.). I imagine they'll implement the new mechanics in both the RPG and the standalone CCG when they launch in October.

I believe Gwent beta is still free to play at the moment, so it's worth checking out prior to Thronebreaker launching. I don't think all of the big changes I mentioned are patched in yet, but it's still worth a look in my opinion!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MezZa

I'll be playing gwent since it's free and their reward model has been generous enough to allow for people to get good decks quickly without paying so far. The witcher lore and the associated rpg releasing at the same time also wins me over pretty easily.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_denim: Sure! Seems easy enough to try it out. I wasn't a huge fan of mechanic of whole rounds where you have to decide whether to hold better cards back for the next round or one upping the opponent at the current round. But if they are making alot of changes I'm sure it's worth another look.

Thanks for letting me know it's coming out soon.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not likely. I played the original card version fairly regularly way back in the day, but it was mostly for the social experience of hanging out with friends and chatting about books, video games, movies, music, science and tech stuff, work, etc. And I still have a metric buttload of cards, so going back to that is always an option. I just don't imagine there's going to be much of a social experience to an online CCG when playing with random strangers, since it'll likely be the typical online social experience: the majority of people mute themselves/everyone else and the ones that do talk you inevitably have to mute. It's a damn shame.

nkornek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Gwent back when the beta first started but over time I found a lot of the changes that they made really sanded down the game's originality. Lately though I've been absolutely hooked on Eternal. It's got tons of depth but has the polish of Hearthstone and a ridiculously generous F2P model.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wadtomaton

sign that you're old: you read this thread title and assumed the op meant physical ccgs XD

There is a new Warhammer CCG that is based on the Warhammer Sigmar stuff that looks pretty cool. They are also doing something crazy where every card has a code so you can have a perfectly synced digital and physical collection (assuming you take the time to enter in all of your cards), and it plays like it's own thing, it's not just a riff on magic or a simplified version of an existing game the way Hearthstone was (it was just a streamlined WoW TCG when it launched).

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Pretty excited to get back into Gwent in a few weeks. I haven't played in about 4 months waiting for the full release. I'll also try Artifact.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure how this happened

Hearthstone happened. Anyways, I've been playing Gwent on and off for over a year. The game is.... ok as a casual game. I actually really like the base gameplay a lot (although it needed heavy development), but CDPR has failed miserably at making it a success. They sure have tried though. The game has gone through more extensive re-designs than I can count, but they just do not have the skillset required for a multiplayer game. Thronebreaker looks great though.

I've also played MTGA since summer. Already said my piece about it in other threads, but ye, not something I want to spend more than an hour or two at a time with. I have no interest in Artifact. The gameplay just doesn't seem appealing at all, and I have no DOTA affections. The fact that it's even getting the attention it's getting is baffling to me. It just seems like a good old case of "I'm tired of X game, so I'll play this new similar game, which is gonna be the best thing ever for 3 weeks and then I'll hate it" (like most of these games honestly). Watching the CCG community recently is just giving me flashbacks of the MMO era.

Also, sorta funny that you mention Elder Scrolls as a minor game, when it's probably bigger than Gwent at this point.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I bought a Naruto CCG box. The titular Naruto box in fact. I have no familiarity with Naruto outside of playing a Gamecube game at a friends house for 20 minutes, but I haggled with the store owner and got it for cheap.

Long story short: help, I made a poor purchasing decision. P.S. if anyone knows how to play the Naruto CCG please teach me.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In this part of the world Shadowverse (looks like a Hearthstone clone) is king.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Artifact initially intrigued me, but I'm turned off by the pricing model, the possible complexity, and Valve being Valve. If I were to ever get back into a CCG, it will be Hearthstone (although I haven't played Hearthstone in like 3 years)

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By nutter

I only need to get into one CCG...

No Caption Provided

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By xymox
@wadtomaton said:

sign that you're old: you read this thread title and assumed the op meant physical ccgs XD

I dunno. I don't think CCGs translate that well into digital. I've tried a few digital CCGs but nothing really sticks. You just can't beat the feeling of cracking boosters, sleeving cards, putting cards into binders... it's very meditative. And just that feeling of holding the real physical cards and playing the actual thing.

@cursethesemetalhands said:

I just don't imagine there's going to be much of a social experience to an online CCG when playing with random strangers, since it'll likely be the typical online social experience

Yeah... that's unfortunately also a very good point.

Still, I'm excited for the new digital version of Doomtrooper (which I hope is still in development). It's crazy to think they're bringing that one back. I hope it does well enough for them to start printing the real thing again, but I doubt it.

I only recently (~2014) got into MTG. Have about zero interest in "Arena". I just don't think WOTC really understands how fun MTG can be. There's also a huge disconnect between their digital releases and the real thing that they just never seem to solve or get right. I've played Duels 2013, 2014, 2015 and that free to play thing they made. Origins or whatever? I even forget what it was called.

I dislike the way they made the cards look in Arena and the user interface. It's like they're chasing that Hearthstone money without understanding what makes Hearthstone good. Not that I particularly care for Hearthstone, but still...

Speaking of physical CCGs though, I just ordered a box of MTG Unstable which I'm excited about. MTG will probably keep me going until Doomtrooper.

As for Artifact, I was a bit skeptical at first and when they finally showed the three board system I was like NOPE and now I have have negative interest in the game, so there's that.

Edit: voted "I'll stick with a smaller CCG" and I'm assuming there's not gonna be a lot of hype for Doomtrooper.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

While I'm not really interested, if I had a choice it'd definitely be Gwent.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I will try out Artifact purely from curiosity. But I've never quite been able to get into a CCG and don't expect this to be the one either.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

No Caption Provided

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xymox said:

Still, I'm excited for the new digital version of Doomtrooper

Holy hell, I had completely forgotten the name of that game. I remember having a ton of fun with that back in the day, although we played it with a ton of house rules.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By big_denim

@bbalpert: I'm pretty sure my wife still plays this game :P

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'll be dabbling with Magic : Arena while being interested in Artifact. I might jump on that as a dota player, not sure yet.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xymox: oh I definitely prefer physical, there seemed to be a bunch of new ones at Gencon this year (or at least a ton I hadn't heard of lol), hence why I was just assuming the OP was talking about physical when I saw the tread title.

Hex was really good as far as digital games go, just unfortunately mismanaged to hell and back. Will be interested to see if they manage to rebound, but as it is, it appears they are making a very long and slow spiral to death T_T

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

MTG Arena looks like the one that'll stick with me, I'm always down for Magic. Hearthstone is fun to play every once in a while. Gwent just makes me mad because I'm awful at it haha.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wadtomaton: I got more hyped for Hex than I had for any game in many years when it hit Kickstarter and threw way too much money at it. To this day, I've never even bothered opening the hundred or however many packs I got from backing. What a complete and utter mess that turned out to be. First and last game I ever crowdfunded.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Tried Elder Scrolls, Shadowverse, and Hearthstone. Didn't care for any. Gwent is one of my least favorite bits of the Witcher. None of the upcoming CCGs look appealing to me. I think I'm just gonna accept the fact that CCGs are not my thing. Even if they dropped a big budget Yugioh or Pokemon CCG right now, I doubt that would be enough to get me to play and I used to love both as a kid.

Arcsurvivor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HS is stale at this point and they are catering to newer players. I only play daily quests and Tavern brawl. Have not paid money for over 1 year.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

What happened? Goodbye Battle Royale, hello CCGs...again?

What?

• Magic has always been around
  • DOTA's balancing doesn't translate to battle royale.
  • Gwent blew up in W3.
  • Hearthstone was around before the Battle Royale craze
  • Battle Royales are still plenty.
HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might have misunderstood but I'm a sucker for Plants VS Zombies Heroes. AFAIK it's an easy way to play a CCG (if I understand correctly) with a lot of different tactics and skills.