Will you buy the first 8th gen console at launch?

• 73 results
K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By K0rN
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Brunchies

I think I'll wait and catch up with games I missed this gen first.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Th3_James

more than likely. If there are any decent launch games. I bit the bullet with 360, and that turned out fine. The next year I did the same with ps3, but i didn't buy a ps3 game for 7 months after i purchased it :P

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Kyreo

No... there is that window of equality where the Current is so good that it can still contend with the Next.  And in that time the Next Gen is usually fixing whatever Game breaking bugs it may have. 

I dont normally buy anything right after it comes out... things tend to have glitches and stuff.  Example... the iPhone.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

Probably not, I was still playing my ps2 long after the 360 was debuted. The ps3 I still left a few months too before I finally got me one.
Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ApertureSilence

Yes, absolutely. I am an early adopter.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust

No, most systems come out before Christmas and are too hard to get.  I usually wait until after the New Year and gets some games as well.

Avatar image for thehideousshrew
thehideousshrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By thehideousshrew

Nope, second price drop.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

Yes...and my strategy will be the same as always. Pay a bum $50 to wait in line for me all day and all night. Rip the $50 in half, he gets the other half when I show up to take his place. Worked like a charm for both the PSP and Xbox 360 launches.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By Jost1

Well at this point who knows when that'll be. But knowing myself, yes

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Probably not. Launch lineups are usually very average, with only one or two decent games. And I don't like paying hundreds & hundreds of pounds just for a couple of games.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By MildMolasses

I've never bought one at launch before, so I would like to do it just once. For a while it looked like I would have had enough credit at EB to do it quite easily, but that has been mostly used up. I have bought the last 2 Sony at close to launch prices though, but by those points there were enough games that it didn't seem like any kind of risk.
thehideousshrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thehideousshrew
@MB said:
" Yes...and my strategy will be the same as always. Pay a bum $50 to wait in line for me all day and all night. Rip the $50 in half, he gets the other half when I show up to take his place. Worked like a charm for both the PSP and Xbox 360 launches. "
That's horrifically exploitative... I like your style.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bombs_Away

No...Like Brunchies I'll wait till I've played everything I've wanted in this gen before moving on. I'm still playing PS2 games I never got round to play the first time.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#15  Edited By Soap

yeah i will, i'm a technohoe, I must have it.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By danielkempster

I didn't get a PlayStation 2 until March 2002. I didn't make the step up to the current generation until May 2008. I don't see myself breaking that pattern next gen.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It just depends on the launch titles and how much of an improvement it is over these consoles.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel

Possibly, so long as I feel it'd be worth it at the time and not Microsoft's successor to the 360.  No way I'm giving them my money at launch.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By mike
@thehideousshrew said:
" @MB said:
" Yes...and my strategy will be the same as always. Pay a bum $50 to wait in line for me all day and all night. Rip the $50 in half, he gets the other half when I show up to take his place. Worked like a charm for both the PSP and Xbox 360 launches. "
That's horrifically exploitative... I like your style. "
Thanks. For the 360 launch I actually gave the guy an extra $40 at the end of the deal because it was freezing ass cold and raining for 24 hours straight. I brought him food and coffee and stuff while he was waiting, so it worked out for both of us.
triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By triple07

Nope I'm not really an early adopter. I'll wait at least until a big game comes out for it and see what the other consoles will be like before I make a decision.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Rowr

Who buys consoles at launch? Seriously.

Best to wait for the first price drop, by then its becoming a little clearer about quality etc.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jack268

If it has good games during the release year(Like the 360) then yes. 
If it has few games(Like the ps3) during the first year then naw, I'll wait until it takes off.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fishmicmuffin

It depends on the launch lineup and my financial situation at the time. If there are some good games and I have some extra cash, then I would likely go for it. Otherwise, I have no problems waiting it out.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Th3_James

I am just happy the first 8th gen console is coming out Q4 2013 

You heard it first here. I am calling it

thehideousshrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thehideousshrew
@MB said:
" @thehideousshrew said:
" @MB said:
That's horrifically exploitative... I like your style. "
Thanks. For the 360 launch I actually gave the guy an extra $40 at the end of the deal because it was freezing ass cold and raining for 24 hours straight. I brought him food and coffee and stuff while he was waiting, so it worked out for both of us. "
That has warmed the sterile cockles of my horrifically twisted, blackened and atrophied heart. There's a lesson for all of us missanthropic shut-in's here I feel.
frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By frankfartmouth

When you weigh all the pros and cons of getting one at launch, it definitely makes all the sense in the world to wait; launch lineups are usually weak, launch consoles are usually buggy, and launch lines/campouts can be hell. But for whatever reason, the systems I got at launch are the ones I remember the best. Not that they were even the best systems, it's just that bringing home a shiny new, acrid smelling console that hardly anyone on your continent has laid hands on is always an experience. That always turns into an all-nighter, even if it's with a shitty launch game.  

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Skytylz

Yes, if it's not another wii.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#28  Edited By BeachThunder
@Skytylz said:
" Yes, if it's not another wii. "
It will be Virtual Boy 2 =)
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By brukaoru

I don't think I would ever buy a launch system, even if there was a game I really wanted that was available on launch day. Any problems that occur with launch systems are usually fixed in the next batch of systems released. Plus, it's usually hard to get a system when it launches due to high demand anyway. 

soundandcolour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By soundandcolour

no, im broke flat broke (i aint got it)

thehideousshrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thehideousshrew
@frankfartmouth said:
"

When you weigh all the pros and cons of getting one at launch, it definitely makes all the sense in the world to wait; launch lineups are usually weak, launch consoles are usually buggy, and launch lines/campouts can be hell. But for whatever reason, the systems I got at launch are the ones I remember the best. Not that they were even the best systems, it's just that bringing home a shiny new, acrid smelling console that hardly anyone on your continent has lain hands on is always an experience. That always turns into an all-nighter, even if it's with a shitty launch game.  

"
This was pretty much my experience with the Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure, it's amazing how one can will oneself into enjoying a game just because your caught up in the delerium of a sleepless night combined with the culmination of a year of anticipation.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Brendan

Yep, I'm all about the hype.  I will pre-order months in advance and walk in and out of the store on launch day.
lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By lemon360

nah.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bionicicide

Probably will wait a year.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@Hailinel said:

" Possibly, so long as I feel it'd be worth it at the time and not Microsoft's successor to the 360.  No way I'm giving them my money at launch. "

In my opinion the 360 had one of the strongest launches of any console ever.  Yes the build quality sucked, but in terms of available games and features it was unmatched.  Most others take a very long time to build up anything worthwhile at all.  Look at how long the PS3 took to get any decent games.. let alone the PSN being at all up to scratch, which was a massively inferior service for a very long time.  Even now, XBL can do pretty much everything PSN can do, and has been able to do so since launch.

The faults were a huge issue yes, but look back in comparasion with the original Xbox which was built like a tank.  The 360 is a technical mess because they rushed it out to be the first next-gen console to market, a mistake I think we can be sure they won't make again.  The 360 was the only current gen system I felt was worth the time at launch.

If the first next-gen console can at least match that then I'll definitely go for it.  But if it's a case of paying a lot of money, for a system with few games just to be among the first to have one..?  No thanks.  Like with the Wii/PS3, I'd rather wait for them to drop in price and build up a slightly more impressive library.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By rjayb89

No, but if I had to it'd probably be for a Nintendo console/handheld. 

@MB: You sir, are a master.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By raiz265

probably too expensive

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By ptys

Launch titles are always comparable to the previous generation's best... took them 2 years to really start pushing the hardware on this Generation, and with high price at launch,  you could really argue it's a waste of money. I did a poll on this site of which company they hope'd made a new console, and the majority said Microsoft... followed closely by SEGA!.. LOL.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iam3green

no, i usually get it when the price drops. the problems that this generation had i am going to wait. when the 360 pro dropped to $350 it only lasted me 4-5 months after purchasing it. i usually wait for the problems to get fixed.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By GeekDown

No. Launch titles are usually garbage, so I will wait a while.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By Rockdalf

Maybe, but doubtful.  The only reason I could forsee my ass sitting in line waiting on for a console is that I'm still working third shift by then so I'll be used to being up all night anyway.  But as a rule, I stay away from release consoles.  Hell, I just got a 250 ps3 slim and not regretted the wait.

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By K0rN
@Hailinel said:
"Possibly, so long as I feel it'd be worth it at the time and not Microsoft's successor to the 360.  No way I'm giving them my money at launch. "

Then why the hell were you on the Alan Wake forum?
zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43  Edited By zyn

Depends on the games...

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#44  Edited By jacksukeru

Probably not, I've never really done that before and it hasn't failed me thus far. 

But this thread is getting me excited for the next generation of hardware. What will the names be? Can Sony really call it the Playstation4? and what about the 360? (Personally I think calling it either the Xbox 360 2 or simply Xbox 4 would be the funniest). 

Will Nintendo step up with the rest of the graphics powerhouses, or contently stay half a generation behind. Maybe they'll even stay at their current level or close to that, either way I bet their next handheld will be effing sweet. ( I "less than three" my DS)

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Famov

My name is not red on accident. I bought the DS and Wii on launch (N64 and Gamecube were Christmas presents when I was younger, but they were still bought on launch). The next Nintendo console, if it hooks me the way the DS and Wii did, will be the same.

Of course, if Nintendo's next platform is anywhere near in price to the launch PS3 and 360, then this will not happen. Frugality is a virtue.
EasyPeasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By EasyPeasey

depends on whether i have money or not

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yes, because by then I'll actually have cash and I'll actually be at least 18 years of age.

fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By fisher81

If it's an Xbox, then yes. The others, no.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#49  Edited By Hailinel
@WinterSnowblind:   It's precisely because of the build quality that I'm not going to buy their next console at launch.  Why should I reward them as an early adopter if I don't feel particularly confident in their ability to produce decent hardware?
theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By theduke

i don't like buying launch because not enough games are out at that time and I have a pc to satisfy the graphics needs.
I like to wait for a few great RPG games come out before I buy the console