With Uncharted 4 Delayed to 2016, What Else is Out This Year?

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@dawnshinto said:

@fr0br0: Yep, for kicks I go back and listen to the bombcast from years prior and it's the same complaints as now.... oh video games.

Yeah, I was just about to post this. Having listened to all the old bombcasts recently, every single year around this time they would try to list the games announced for that year and always came to the conclusion that it was going to be a weak year.

The more things change the more it stays the same!!!

Volt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Volt

Thanks for the article Jeff, always nice to hear your thoughts on stuff like this.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I might have missed it but where is persona 5 on that, it's the only game anyone will never need.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A new Metal Gear, Witcher, and Souls series/style game in the same year is just about all I could ever ask for. Anything else (Axiom Verge, MK, Persona 5, etc.) that ends up being good is just going to be icing on the cake.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

fwiw when I looked forward, I saw this thing kinda happening this is a major reason why I went PC this gen

And I think the reason is simple. All the AAA guys, the ones that still exist anyway, just are narrowing their product lines, especially the Japanese ones. I mean all Konami basically has is Metal Gear now right? Activision is basically the Blizzard+ Call of Duty company. EA makes Sports games + the occasional Bioware title. Sega is basically dead in AAA space. Taketwo only releases a big game every few years. Square's Japan division pretty much only has Final Fantasy for consoles now. And does Capcom have anything major planned this year at all for the West?

None of them are just making much, it's been trending that way for 5 years or better.

I'm sure there will be at least a CoD,AssCreed and Madden to add to that list before it's over though

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

MGSV-Bloodborne-The witcher 3 and Batman for me

This. There are plenty of highly anticipated games coming out over the next few months. Jeff just doesn't like any of them.

leburn98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By leburn98

I've counted at least 14 titles that are going to be released in 2015, not including games like SW: Battlefront, Quantum Break, etc. that may release this year. Factor in the 2014/2015 released games I missed out on (Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising 3, etc.), Indies, and recent releases I have yet to finish/still playing (CoD:AW, Dying Light, Far Cry 4, GTA V, Destiny, NHL 15, Battlefield 4) there is plenty for me to play now and for the foreseeable future. I suppose that is the plus of owning all 4 platforms.

For those interested, the 14 games are listed below:

PC:

1. Witcher 3

PS4:

1. Batman Arkham Knight
  2. Battlefield Hardline
  3. MGS V
  4. Resident Evil Revelations 2 (retail)
  5. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (retail)
  6. Call of Duty (Treyarch)
  7. NHL 16
  8. NBA 2K16

Xbox One:

1. Halo 5
  2. Forza 6 (maybe)

Wii U:

1. Zelda
  2. Star Fox
  3. Mario Party 10
  4. LEGO Jurassic World (strongly considering PS4 cause of trophies, but Wii U has been my LEGO box up til now with Undercover, Marvel, Batman 3 and The Movie
falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#108  Edited By falling_fast

metal gear, the witcher and the final fantasies being released seem more than enough for me. and persona 5 as well if it comes out this year. can't remember

oh right, and YAKUZA 5 :D which is a ps3 game and therefore not on this list but idgaf

also i really hope we start hearing more about MIRROR'S EDGE 2 again soon :/

BombaLuigi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

List Wars!

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The games I'm most excited about @jeff didn't even mention on this list. I'm sure he's mostly trying to think of $60 box on store shelf kind of games, but those are mattering less and less these days. On PC there barely even exists such a thing as boxes on shelves.

Pillars of Eternity releases Late March. After loving Divinity: Original Sin, I can't wait to sink my time into this game. PC exclusive as there is just about no way you can play this kind of game on a console well (see Dragon Age Origins). Hell this game alone would have been a reason for me to buy a PC back in the heyday of the Infinity Engine games. That this thing isn't getting more big press is insane to me. It has easily been my most expected game since Christmas, and now its almost out!

Broken Age Part 2. I adored the first half of the game and can't wait to see where the story goes. Def not coming to a store shelf (unless you are a kickstarter backer maybe? I dunno how their reward tiers went).

Xenoblade Chronicles X 2015 for Japan, though I bet we have to wait for 2016 to get it stateside. So prolly doesn't count. Still hyped for this one though as I also really liked the "series" going back as far as Xenogears on PS1.

KingVincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rayeth said:

The games I'm most excited about @jeff didn't even mention on this list. I'm sure he's mostly trying to think of $60 box on store shelf kind of games, but those are mattering less and less these days. On PC there barely even exists such a thing as boxes on shelves.

Pillars of Eternity releases Late March. After loving Divinity: Original Sin, I can't wait to sink my time into this game. PC exclusive as there is just about no way you can play this kind of game on a console well (see Dragon Age Origins). Hell this game alone would have been a reason for me to buy a PC back in the heyday of the Infinity Engine games. That this thing isn't getting more big press is insane to me. It has easily been my most expected game since Christmas, and now its almost out!

Broken Age Part 2. I adored the first half of the game and can't wait to see where the story goes. Def not coming to a store shelf (unless you are a kickstarter backer maybe? I dunno how their reward tiers went).

Xenoblade Chronicles X 2015 for Japan, though I bet we have to wait for 2016 to get it stateside. So prolly doesn't count. Still hyped for this one though as I also really liked the "series" going back as far as Xenogears on PS1.

Jeff listed PS4 games listed on GameStop

pirateogta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By pirateogta

Sweet! I was hoping we'd get a live commentary stream of the Bethesda conference.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#113  Edited By Onemanarmyy

A lot of cool games coming out. Just not exclusive ones. As a PC gamer i love that MGS5 (which would be a sony exclusive in a world where japanese devs never acknowledged other platforms) is coming to PC.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By falling_fast

oh shit, right. i forgot about pillars of eternity. and more broken age. there are a fuckton of good games this year

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Maybe it says more about the way I've changed about video games than the actual lineup - but there's very little on this list I actually have any real desire to play.

Quite honestly for me, all I really want to play this year is Mortal Kombat X and a MGS5.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stop fucking around Microsoft and give me a rerelease of Gears of War.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The time of the big "AAA" titles is about over. Indie and smaller team games is going to be the main stuff while the big publishers will continue to try to gain traction in the mobile arena. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's kind of like the 80's and 90's all over again. A whole bunch of smaller teams doing lots of neat things. We'll just have to live with the absence of $100 Million + titles.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By superfriend

That sort of thing happens when you get rid of all your first party devs.. well, most of em. Both Microsoft and Sony seem to only have the budget (or willingness?) to release 2-3 'big retail games' per year.

The rest is up to the third parties. Sad, really.. but I wouldn't really mind if that sort of thing didn't lead to both of them buying up other exclusives. That is a waste of money in my book, since I'm gonna play those games anyway- I've always had all the platforms. They should invest in a few more actual first party developed titles and not just snatch some half finished games up, so the competition doesn't get them.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I honestly don't care what gets announced at e3 anymore, what with release dates being so fluid nowadays, but I'll watch the ENTIRE thing as long as it has the GB panel commentary over it.

mysour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't know it seemed to me like the PS4 list was a lot more attractive what with No Man's Sky, Axiom Verge, and Bloodborne. I guess maybe this year's a great year to catch up on the backlog...and take my time getting a PS4.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Whoa now, a new Naruto game? Now that the manga is finished will this finally be the one that tells the whole story in game form?

Because I want that.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pirate Warriors 3 I'm pretty sure is confirmed for a May release, unless something has changed.

The time of the big "AAA" titles is about over. Indie and smaller team games is going to be the main stuff while the big publishers will continue to try to gain traction in the mobile arena. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's kind of like the 80's and 90's all over again. A whole bunch of smaller teams doing lots of neat things. We'll just have to live with the absence of $100 Million + titles.

AAA games aren't going anywhere anytime soon. There might be less, but they will always be around and I'm thankful for that, because a gaming landscape with just indie crap sounds awful to me.

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_boss_snake_ said:

This. There are plenty of highly anticipated games coming out over the next few months. Jeff just doesn't like any of them.

That's three games for the rest of the year, the last one to come out in September. As someone else said, compare that to 2007: Haze, Lair, Forza 2, Halo 3, PGR 4, Ratchet and Clank: TOD, Heavenly Sword, BioShock, Assassin's Creed 1, Mass Effect 1, Uncharted 1, Call of Duty 4, Lost Planet, Crackdown, Dirt, WarHawk, The Orange Box.

Granted some of those weren't good, but lots of new IP (at the time) and some absolute classics. It's hard not to feel that big console games have taken a huge step back in terms of number of releases and risk taking since that time. Even if there still is some exciting titles to look forward to this year.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#124  Edited By hollitz

Rock Band 4 could have been the only game announced this year and I'd probably be fine. It's going to be actually gross how much time I sink into that game. My only big fear is that Rock Band 4 and Persona 5 are probably going to release in close proximity. I'm guessing Novemeber for both of them.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care much about 'first party exclusives', I just want some good games. Be it a AAA or indie games.

I've been compiling a list of games I want to be this year and it's getting crazy; that list is growing way too big!

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeff Project CARS was delayed again. It's now coming out mid-May. What is going on...

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

Man, the PS4's exclusive content has been nothing short of pathetic since launch. Hopefully we'll get a cool new AAA franchise at E3, or at the very least a neat looking reboot.

Bajumeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Bajumeru

FF Type-0, Arkham Knight, DmC HD and The Phantom Pain are the games that'll justify me buying a PS4 this year. Plus I'm thinking of checking out Bloodborne. I've never played any of the Souls games, so maybe this will be a good starting point.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

For me the year looks good I have a good backlog and I'm super pumped about Bloodborne and Titan souls

MixMasterShake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While the pickings may be slim, I am incredible psyched for The Witcher 3 and MGS V. Thankfully, they seem like they are gonna be time consuming. Also may dip my toes into Bloodborn. I loved Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls and this doesn't seem like From is doing a direct copy and past job. So, while my gaming year may not be flooded with quantity, I will be more than happy with some quality experiences.

kings115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_boss_snake_ said:

This list reads less like there aren't any interesting games out in 2015 and more like any games that JEFF isn't interested. His weird idealization of first party AAA games has always been weird to me. I guess it comes from that era of Gamespot he's best known for. As for me, there's Bloodborne, MGS 5, Persona 5, The Witcher 3, Arkham Knight and many more games I'm interested in playing this year. Even with Uncharted 4 being delayed, the release of Bloodborne and P5 is worthy enough reason for me to unhesitatingly get a PS4.

Matoyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Matoyak

@iceman228433 said:

I might have missed it but where is persona 5 on that, it's the only game anyone will never need.

It isn't on the Gamestop retail list (what Jeff pulled from), and we only have a "2015" stamp on it...but we had a 2014, Japan before and THAT one got pushed to 2015. They seem to be at least pretending a 2015 launch in the West is possible, but... who knows. With even Naughty Dog pushing games back again and again this gen, a studio as slow as P-Team doesn't inspire confidence in a timely release.

(But yeah, I'm right there with ya. P5 is my most anticipated game by a very long shot, with Witcher 3 and MGSV in distant distant second and third slots).

gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me it seems like more and more games are getting delayed on these new consoles? I wonder what the deal is?

vhold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By vhold

Harness Hype. Sell speculation. Embrace cynicism once games are actually released.

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Project Cars was delayed to some time May.

AmethystRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GET READY FOR SOME CALL OF DUTY, MOTHERFUCKERS. VIDEO GAMMMMEEESSSSS

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#137 rmanthorp  Moderator

BATMAN

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

The temptation to buy a wii U is getting stronger. Maybe next year.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

No Caption Provided

For what it's worth...

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigmess: Agreed. More of the written word, please.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I mean, if Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Batman and MGSV all turn out to be good, I'd still say this was a killer year for games. Sprinkle indie games like Hotline Miami 2, Helldivers (and more to come) on top and I'd say this was one of the best.

Venekor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Venekor

The only thing the PS4 had and it's delayed....

I'm selling my PS4, useless PoS that has sat doing nothing since 2013. What are Sony even up to? The console got hyped so much, not because of what Sony was doing but the crazy hate the Xbox One was getting.

I'm done with any console unless it is from Nintendo, at least they still have lots of unique exclusives I cannot experience anywhere else.

PC + Wii U for me now, that PS4 money can buy me a nice new 960 or something.

I don't buy a console for indie games, if there was ever a machine to play those on it is the PC, they all run on 15 year old rigs.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@horseman6: It'll be released in 2015 and playable by mid-2016.

In all seriousness though a re-release of all 3 games in one package would be brilliant.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cirdain said:

No Caption Provided

For what it's worth...

Oh right...that reminded me to redeem my Doom Beta access, that came with Wolfenstein. Wonder when that'll be available...

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodborne, MGSV, and Persona 5 have all been games I'm way more interested in then anything that has come out since these games were announced. When you add games like MonHun4U, Arkham, FF Type-0, BlazBlue, MKX, Disgaea, Witcher 3, and whaever booby ninja games come out here this year it looks fantastic. Maybe it just seems like quality over quantity which is more than fine with me. I'm probably as big of a cynic as Jeff, but I honestly don't get it here. There's plenty coming out everywhere it seems. Not a lot out of first part besides Nintendo, but still plenty.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Jeff's problem is that all he cares about is Mortal Kombat (which by the way, is not an exclusive, if that's the whole point of this article)

halfdane1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By halfdane1975

A very alarming and interesting article Jeff. Keep 'em comming.

Also I'm glad I'm a PC player !

machinerebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Thanks for the article. There are apparently more big games that I will end up buying this year than I thought, but I'm right there with you Jeff in terms of "where are the big games?!?" It seems like there are a lot less. Happy to have the smaller $10-40 releases deliver, but the lack of big tent pole blockbusters is disturbing.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Won't anyone think of The Tomorrow Children?!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually looking forward to Ride but the price point's putting me off. Apparently it's out in just over a week for Europe so I'm hoping they bung us a review copy soonish. And I almost bought Bloodborne this week. Almost.