#1 Posted by FireBurger (1604 posts) -

Hi, everyone!

I'm currently working my way through the Steam version of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and have decided that Farah is the worst companion I've ever had to suffer. Not only does she require constant baby sitting, but she can ACTUALLY SHOOT YOU WITH ARROWS BY ACCIDENT!

Anyway, who do ya'll think is the worst/most annoying companion in a game?

#2 Posted by Efesell (4318 posts) -

Silent Hill 4 has maybe the last half or third of the game with a wounded follower who can basically do nothing and is easy to have an ending ruined if too much damage is taken.

Although at some point you might be happy to have that ending.

#3 Posted by htr10 (1027 posts) -

Trip from Enslaved. If you went too far off exploring, she just outright killed your ass.

#4 Posted by ConfusedOwl (1212 posts) -

Sheva from Resident Evil 5. I gave up my second playthrough of that game not too long ago because she kept dying to a boss 5 seconds after it loaded.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
#5 Posted by BladeOfCreation (1236 posts) -

Carth Onasi/Kaiden Alenko from KotOR/Mass Effect. Essentially the same annoying character, Kaiden is the only party member in any party-based RPG I've ever told to leave (in Mass Effect 3) my group. I always keep characters I don't like around just in case they turn out to be useful. Kaiden was the one exception to this.

#6 Posted by OMGFather (1027 posts) -

Ashley from Resident Evil 4

#7 Posted by Nightriff (7193 posts) -

Fi from Skyward Sword. Number one with a FUCKING bullet.

Atreus from God of War for me. Didnt care for him, didnt utilize him in combat. Couldve just had kratos tell him to go hide at every encounter and kept all the story bits.

Best companion is Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite, great character, story, doesn't die in combat and actually helps you. Great fucking game that ages better every year. Cant believe it's almost been 6 years...

#8 Posted by FacelessVixen (2523 posts) -

Fallout 4's incarnation of Dogmeat. He constantly gets in the way of me looting things from containers, runs away when I'm trying to either give him stuff or take things away, and on one occasion got me killed by bumping me into a frag mine. I get that all animal companions can't be D Dog, but for fuck's sake, the human and robot companions work well enough. So if there's a mod where I can give Dogmeat Adderall, someone let me know.

#9 Edited by Onemanarmyy (4169 posts) -

Can't point it down to a specific character, but if you have a health bar and like to stand around in the middle of a combat arena, you're a bad companion! If you waste my potions on yourself, you get extra points.

#10 Posted by BrunoTheThird (824 posts) -

Resident Evil Zero's companion stuff was nothing but an inconvenient grind. That game separates you in such silly ways sometimes, and the iffy A.I. doesn't help. It's still a decent game, somehow, despite that trash.

#11 Posted by BoOzak (2515 posts) -

Navi? I dont remember anything about her except that she never shut up and kept stating the obvious.

@bladeofcreation said:

Carth Onasi/Kaiden Alenko from KotOR/Mass Effect. Essentially the same annoying character, Kaiden is the only party member in any party-based RPG I've ever told to leave (in Mass Effect 3) my group. I always keep characters I don't like around just in case they turn out to be useful. Kaiden was the one exception to this.

If you hated him that much why didnt you just send him off to die in Mass Effect 1 ;p Carth does suck though...

#12 Posted by Sweep (10559 posts) -

Tails from Sonic 2. When you went into the bonus stage his jump was always delayed so he'd always womp it on the mines and lose you a bunch of rings.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
#13 Posted by BladeOfCreation (1236 posts) -

@boozak: Hey, Kaiden wasn't a bad person. Just an annoying one.

Ashley was straight up awful, though.

#14 Posted by zombie2011 (5584 posts) -

Rico from Killzone.

Also the two kids from Lost Odyssey were pretty annoying.

#15 Posted by Rorie (5613 posts) -

I almost stopped playing Alan Wake because of how annoying Barry Wheeler was. And Zeke in the inFamous games was terrible, too, especially in the first one.

#16 Posted by FacelessVixen (2523 posts) -

@boozak said:

Navi? I dont remember anything about her except that she never shut up and kept stating the obvious.

@bladeofcreation said:

If you hated him that much why didnt you just send him off to die in Mass Effect 1 ;p Carth does suck though...

Contextual ME spoiler: To be fair, choosing between Karth 2.0 and a space racist is apparent;y a tough choice around here. I'm personally okay with Kaiden when playing as Fem Shep since he opens up a bit more compared to Standard Shep, which is a trait that I can relate to. As for Ash, well... I mean... The Evil Dead?

#17 Edited by Superharman (296 posts) -

Jokell in Ashen!

Now look, I got him to follow me eventually by means I still don't fully understand and the dude helped me out for a lot of the rest of the game including the last boss BUT because AI Controlled Jokell's refusal to follow me in this really hard dungeon...fuck that guy:

#18 Edited by Wraithtek (426 posts) -

He's not so much a full-blown companion, more of a temporary coworker, but my vote's for Congo from Shenmue II. If you choose to work with Congo, you're forced to complete an infuriating QTE minigame. Ryo has to help Congo carry crates across a room, by hand (no forklifts in this warehouse, apparently). You slip up on your D-pad presses (which is pretty much guaranteed to happen), you both drop the crate and Congo chews you out. Add to that bad English voice acting (in a style that I assume is meant to convey that Congo isn't super fluent in Ryo's native tongue) and it didn't take long for me to hate Congo.

I looked for videos of the Congo minigame on YouTube, just to see if it was super easy and I was just bad at it. But the let's play I found had the players making the same mistakes I remember making. (Embedded video should start at 08:33.)

Loading Video...

#19 Posted by TheRealTurk (449 posts) -

Natalia from GoldenEye 64. Given that you need to keep her alive in every mission she's in but she is absolutely determined to run straight into a hail of gunfire every single time or position herself between you and every single enemy you are trying to kill. Those missions are gonna be fun for Dan on Die Another Friday. And by fun I mean excruciating.

Also, Navi from Ocarina of Time. Extremely obnoxious (Hey! Hey!) and also sort of sucks a lot of the fun out of the game. I mean, if you've played Zelda before, you know to toss a bomb in the giant dinosaur's mouth. If you haven't played Zelda before, figuring that out is kind of core to the experience. Why is she even there?

#20 Posted by hermes (2588 posts) -

Sheva Alomar in Resident Evil 5. As a character, she is fine, but as an AI controlled character with her own life bar and agency in the inventory, in a game that requires coordination and resource management, she is infuriating.

I don't know if one of the companions on RE6 is any worst though, 5 left such a bad taste in my mouth I never returned to the series...

#21 Posted by jamesyfx (141 posts) -

Any time you need to pair up with an NPC in Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout 3 etc.

Why is their running speed faster than your walk but slower than your run?! Bugs me that I can't just keep pace with them, always have to stop and start.

#22 Posted by nutter (1882 posts) -

Clippy from Windows

#23 Posted by FireBurger (1604 posts) -

I also just remembered when I played Fallout: New Vegas on hardcore (i.e., your companions perma-die) and my companion got stung ONCE by a bee monster and slowly, unavoidably died because he wouldn't use an anti-venom, even if I put it in his inventory.

#24 Edited by Onemanarmyy (4169 posts) -

It's sad to see all the AI complaints about Sheeva. I've only played that game with a buddy of mine and that game is a whole lot of fun if you play it that way. Sad that they couldn't recreate that experience for the solo players. Annoying eachother by yelling CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS over & over is fantastic :)

#25 Posted by turboman (9812 posts) -

Sheva from Resident Evil 5. I gave up my second playthrough of that game not too long ago because she kept dying to a boss 5 seconds after it loaded.

I remember that there was some kind of stealth section where you had to avoid walking into the paths of the dogs and she just sprinted right into the damn thing right in front of me and got me killed.

#26 Posted by ConfusedOwl (1212 posts) -

@turboman: Yep, RE5 just isn't designed for solo play and it's a damn shame because I think it's a good game despite being one of the weaker games in the series.

Avatar image for tarpit_carnivore
#27 Edited by Tarpit_Carnivore (22 posts) -

The first one that popped into my head was Elizabeth from Bio-Shock Infinite, but that was the execution of her and what she could have been in the story more than her hersel being 'worst'.

I know this is likely extreme, but it's literally the only one that popped in my head.

Avatar image for lobster_johnson
#28 Posted by lobster_johnson (67 posts) -

Anyone in Fallout New Vegas.

"Right, let's just hop over these rocks, and our objective is just down the valley there."

"DUH, ME CAN'T JUMP UP TINY ROCKS. ME GO OTHER WAY BY SELF, LONGEST WAY POSSIBLE, WHERE DEATHCLAWS LIVE. DUH."

#29 Posted by nutter (1882 posts) -

@tarpit_carnivore: Care to explain your point of view on Bioshock’s Elizabeth? I’d like to understand.

I thought she was pretty great, but eye of the beholder and all...

#30 Edited by nutter (1882 posts) -

@turboman: @confusedowl: Man, was it RE5 where you’d be lining-up a sniper shot and Sheva would just dash into your crosshairs with a deathwish?

I know some 360-era, co-op/AI companion game would do this routinely...feels like RE5.

Avatar image for tarpit_carnivore
#31 Posted by Tarpit_Carnivore (22 posts) -

@nutter: I liked who Elizabeth was and her backstory, but I personally was expecting more from it? I felt the execution of her just saying "Booker here" and throwing supplies to you was a little weak. This is why I said her execution and not the actual character. Her running around after you first encounter her and engaging in everything was really good. It was just the long term use and execution.

#32 Posted by nutter (1882 posts) -

@tarpit_carnivore: Thanks!

Maybe I should play again, it’s been a few years. Didn’t she use rifts to support you in battle, late-game? I thought she could warp objects in and out of the environment...

And yeah, I loved moments like the beach. I thought some of that was very well done.

#33 Posted by PraiseDaSun (12 posts) -

This one is kind of an oldie, but in the original Fallout if you gave an automatic weapon to Ian (or any other companion iirc) he would more often than not shoot a spray of bullets in the general direction of the enemies with no regard if you or other companions where in front of him.

It was as infuriating as it was hilarious really. You just couldn't give him any weapon with a burst mode, he couldn't help going on a shooting spree whenever he had the chance. It was just poor AI design, but I liked to think of it as a personality trait of his. Good times.

#34 Posted by Hello505 (6 posts) -

Dom because he would never stop crying about his damn wife.

"MARIAAA!"

Just shut the fuck up man.

#35 Posted by webrunner (78 posts) -

that box in Portal, wouldn't shut up about knives

#36 Posted by Fezrock (712 posts) -

We talking gameplay or story?

'Cause story-wise, I'm going with Sera from Dragon Age: Inquisition. Her aggressively forceful manic pixie/cloud cuckoolander was beyond grating, and she would get so angry anytime you tried doing something remotely responsible.

Gameplay-wise, any melee-focused character in any Bethesda game. They just get in my way, die easily, and then are gone forever; and they probably aggro'd a million demonic spiders right before they died.

#37 Posted by FireBurger (1604 posts) -

@fezrock said:

We talking gameplay or story?

Either one! The topic was prompted by my frustration with a companion during gameplay, but people clearly hate companions for purely personality reasons too.

#38 Posted by TobbRobb (6566 posts) -

She is just a product of a much larger issue with the game, but she does give all those issues a face to complain about... Fuck Fi from Skyward Sword. Also fuck Skyward Sword.

I bet if I looked at a cast list and thought about it for a while, Chrono Cross is almost guaranteed to have a contender in there just from sheer size of roster and general one-note nature of the characters.

I also know there's always that one fucker in "enter anime game here" that's bad comic relief at best or straight up offensive at worst. So I'll give a general nomination to that one party member we all pretend isn't there.

#39 Posted by NTM (11568 posts) -

I am not sure I have one, but yeah anyone that hinders my progress can be annoying. I was actually thinking that one of my favorite, most (purposefully) annoying sidekick characters in games was Barry Wheeler from Alan Wake though, contrary to what Rorie said. I guess the most recent one would be Micah from RDR2 if that counts. He doesn't do anything that detracts from the gameplay really, but he was just very clearly a bad guy throughout the entire experience it was easy to dislike him in that context.

#40 Posted by soulcake (2624 posts) -

That dude nobody used in ME3 or that IGN reporter in ME3 ( she was just there so you had more "romance options" jeez.

#41 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3764 posts) -

@jamesyfx: This is something that happens in WoW as well. NPCs walk faster than you but run slower than you. So you've to either stutterstep behind them or constantly start/stop with them. I started playing Yakuza yesterday and when you've to follow an NPC you just hold in R2 and the game does the rest. 10/10.

From a game play perspective, almost everyone in Dragon Age Inquisition, but most of all Iron Bull. Iron Bull is meant to be an absolutely hot shit champion warrior. Big two handed hammer swinging brick house. Playing on normal and letting him do him, he did nothing but use all my potions and then getting battered in combat and when there was no potions for him left to chug he'd just fall over.

#42 Posted by interlude (13 posts) -

"Fallout 4's incarnation of Dogmeat." YUP.

#43 Posted by someoneproud (477 posts) -

Any one that isn't invincible / there's a penalty for letting them die, except Yorda in Ico (it felt pretty essential there tbf). I hate when they turn a game I'm enjoying into a babysitting sim for a few segments, didn't finish Manhunt back in the day because of that fucking reporter.

@fezrock : God, I loathe Sera to my bones.

#44 Posted by Casepb (593 posts) -

I've played so many games with them, thinking of the worst is a bit tough. I guess Ashley from RE4. She was just the most annoying creature in the whole game.

#45 Edited by Cure_Optimism (76 posts) -

Felicia Day in Dragon Age 2 was pretty awful. For one, BioWare decided to hire on a celebrity voice actress, which is something they inexplicably like to do, and it's always distracting and unnecessary. It was also just weird seeing Felicia Day's face superimposed on a freakish, low quality Dragon Age elf model. Jessica Chobot in Mass Effect 3 probably takes the cake in terms of sheer worthlessness as a character in any video game, and it's still to this day a utterly baffling inclusion. I also couldn't stand the weird little ratty hat guy or the unhinged elf lady in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Found them both super annoying and unpleasant to listen to. There's always a couple companions in BioWare games who feel like they were written by a fanfiction author, but then you got Garrus so all is forgiven.

#46 Posted by liquiddragon (3281 posts) -

Gotta echo a lot of ppl here. I liked Sheva as a character but playing solo with her as AI is the reason I think that game kinda sucks.

#47 Posted by pappafost (212 posts) -

Far Cry 5's Hurk is the worst. Visually he looks amazing (Danny McBride with a rocket launcher and American flag sweatpants), but then he opens his mouth, says the worst written dialogue of any Ubi game, and that's saying a lot, and will not stop talking. Actually all the FC5 companions are horrible, except for the ones that don't talk, IE, Cheeseburger and the other animals.

#48 Posted by Efesell (4318 posts) -

Terrible Sera slander happenin' in this thread god damn.

The mechanical example of Iron Bull coming in to drink all of your fuckin' potions in one fight is a great pull though.. asshole takes more damage than a mage.

#49 Posted by WMoyer83 (1014 posts) -

Ashley from RE4. All you did is literally hide her inside dumpsters

#50 Posted by Thursday1977 (118 posts) -

@wmoyer83 said:

Ashley from RE4. All you did is literally hide her inside dumpsters

Which, to me, made her a perfectly okay companion for most of the game since you could keep her out of the way for so much of it. Sure a bit of backtracking to retrieve her, but it sure beat the alternative of constant babysitting.