Would anyone else here want to play some updated version of current-gen games on next-gen consoles?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Would anyone else here want to play some updated version of current-gen games on next-gen consoles? (122 votes)

Eh, no. I'd much rather the developers just focus on making cool new games. 48%
Yeah, that'd be cool. There are quite a few games this gen that I'd love to go back to in an updated form on next-gen consoles. 26%
... Maybe? 25%

I personally would, and have actually been thinking about it for a good while now. I know some probably don't like the idea; it's kind of like the PS2 games being put in HD this gen, though to a certain extent less updated since it's already HD. I would just love to play some games with updated visuals, and some with fixed gameplay as well, like Mass Effect.

I want to see on next-gen consoles the Mass Effect trilogy, but all of them look and play the same, consistently so it's not a jarring experience throughout, and it'd be as if you're playing one large game instead of three different games. It'd also be nice to play a game like Red Dead Redemption at 60 frames per second, with the best anti-aliasing, draw distance and lack of, or faster load times (as an example).

I just beat the Last of Us, and for this gen, it's near perfect looking, depending on how you want to look at it, it could be 'perfect', but I find that since it can drop in frame rate in some instances and the anti-aliasing is less than perfect, it benefiting on the PS4 ever so slightly would be a plus to me. I actually find very little problem with it really, but I'm just saying it is something I noticed that could be fixed on next-gen, and make the experience that more immersive.

What about you guys and girls?

• 
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By TruthTellah

Sure. Even if they just improve the framerate of the games to something closer to 60, I'd say that might draw my interest. Perhaps reduce texture pop-in or improve anti-aliasing a bit.

Throw in shorter loading times as well and you've got a deal.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Sure! GTA V, Red Dead, Halo 3

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last of Us with the crispness of a modern PC game, would have made the experience more complete.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JasonR86

Depends on the game. But if I really cared about it then I would.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would love a next-gen port of Mass Effect Trilogy, especially since BioWare butchered the PC releases.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bigjeffrey

GTA5, Red Dead, Halo 3 ODST, Halo 4, Gears Of War 3

So sure.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I often enjoy enhanced remakes but I would rather the time and money go towards new ideas

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really I'm pretty much done paying with whatever has already come out, bring on the new IPs for next generation.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The leap isn't big enough to be worth it as far as I know, but hell, maybe the next gen is secretly incredibly powerful. In that case, sure why not.

But I'd rather they wait another generation and leech off of my nostalgia with even better updates.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure! GTA V, Red Dead, Halo 3

In case of GTA V and Red Dead that would have already been possible were there PC versions ;)

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not worth the time and resources. At all.

atholm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I second Red Dead. Also a game that comes into mind is Alan Wake. It is a great game, but its environment and character animation would be much better realized on next-gen consoles.

I never played PC version though, maybe they did tune it up already.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scampbell: I was actually thinking about that earlier today: "What would this game look like on PC" That's not going to happen though.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'd rather have some form of BC because, while I do want to be able to return to things like mass effect, I resent being sold things again simply because they can. For example, I'm really looking forward to the HD editions of Kingdom Hearts and FFX I will buy them, but I wouldn't need to if my PS3 still had BC...it really all depends. I have several HD editions, with most of them, they were bought either for nostalgia or as something I missed last gen, but with the the improvements it doesn't seem worth it...

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bigjeffrey

@atholm said:

I second Red Dead. Also a game that comes into mind is Alan Wake. It is a great game, but its environment and character animation would be much better realized on next-gen consoles.

I never played PC version though, maybe they did tune it up already.

Alan Wake had terrrrrrible Animation. but i still love that game

Have you seen Remedy at the top of their game regarding tech? Alan Wake would of really benefited from not being in development for 5 Years.

The PC version had better textures improved lighting, but still suffered from what you listed above. This gif alone is better than any animation in Alan Wake, except the coffee thermos grabbing one of course. Here is their new game,

I love Remedy

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Roger778

@bigjeffrey:

Holy crap! That character looks like a real person.

Also, I voted yes. I would love to see some of my favorite games updated for next-gen consoles.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EchoEcho

Absolutely. This gen really went on far longer than it should have, and there are plenty of games that really deserved better hardware to let them reach full potential without so many cut corners. Obviously I want new games, but I don't see any reason why some of the best games of this generation couldn't also be given some upgrades along the way. There's time enough for both, I'd think.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Onimusha series as a collection.

Loading Video...

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Jeldh

Red Dead for PC. Thats it. Maybe the latest Halo for PC too. Altought this has nothing to do with updated graphics, just that I want to play my games on a PC instead.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Nope. Just make a follow up to PoP 08 and I'll be fine with that

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No way. New systems; new games.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Honestly, 90% of games can be played on a PC with anti-aliasing, 60 frames, and higher resolutions. So I'd rather see new games.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By penguindust

Not really. It hasn't been that long for the current gen games, and so the differences won't be that apparent. PS2/Original Xbox era games, yes; PS3/360 games, no.

Besides, the new consoles have the power to craft games better beyond appearance, so I'd rather see smarter games than prettier ones re-hashed.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Corvak

Just tell Rockstar to stop being so fail when it comes to getting their games on PC in a timely manner.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I kind of liked HD collections this gen because games from last generation looked like garbage in HD. There are still a few of those that I'd like to see remade, but as far as games from this gen go, I don't see the point. Seems like kind of a lame cash grab.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be kind of interested. Although, what I would be looking for more is Wii games with graphics updated to PS4 levels. Thats probably not a realistic want, but eh, Skyward Sword has enough art hidden behind a low image quality device that it would be the biggest jump I can envision. Or something like a quick Saints Row IV port of the PC version to the newer consoles.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Give me new games. I've always hated this trend of HD remakes we've seen this generation. Developers should spend their time making something new and different.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just give me new games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo. I'm already sick of this generations games and the graphics gap does not justify a remake at all.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think whether or not we want them we're still going to get them. I could go for some.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, 90% of games can be played on a PC with anti-aliasing, 60 frames, and higher resolutions. So I'd rather see new games.

This, If I wanted to see those games look better on better hardware I would simply just play them on a PC...like I already do.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#32  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I wouldn't want to buy another re-release, I'd rather they'd go the PC route, let you play the games on higher settings (like what I think was possible with PS2 games if you had one of those early PS3's, and that's certainly possible by emulating the Wii on PC), maybe release DLC adding higher resolutions textures, kinda like what happened with Battlefield 3, but for playing the games on next gen consoles. Sure, there wouldn't be any money in that, so they won't do it. But I can play most of my 90's PC games just as well today as back then, some of them looking considerably better than they used to, either through forward thinking developers (Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun and Total Annihilation for example) or active mod communities (stuff like Doom, Quake, Warzone 2100, System Shock and Freespace)

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last of Us with the crispness of a modern PC game, would have made the experience more complete.

Yeah, more so for me because after playing for over a year with 1080p/60fps games it became really, really hard for me to play through Last of Us. I still have yet to finish it, I wish I didn't play on PC that much so I wouldn't be so sensitive to all of the technical issues that game has.

I would love a next-gen port of Mass Effect Trilogy, especially since BioWare butchered the PC releases.

How were they butchered? The only thing that sucks about them is that they lack controller support, that's it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Hunter5024

I would be cool with Wii games getting re-released.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

I would kill to play Ninja Gaiden 2 with a stable frame rate.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@believer258 said:

This, If I wanted to see those games look better on better hardware I would simply just play them on a PC...like I already do.

Yep.

Though, I'd like to see some of the Xbox exclusives get PC ports with Steamworks and not GFWL. All of the Halo's and the latter two (dunno about Judgement) Gears games would be welcome additions to my Steam library, plus I'd like to play Forza Horizon on a system that doesn't feel like it's breaking down every time I turn it on. Seriously, my old white Xbox isn't going to last.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't mind seeing a Twin Snakes style remake of ME1, but they would have to really put the effort in to balance the game to work with the Mass Effect 2/3 combat system.

As far as anything else, I am not really that interested. I have very little interest in graphics, to me most 360 games look just fine. Even the minor framerate issues that can arise don't bother me too much. I have always been more about the experience of the game and the gameplay rather than cutting edge visuals, especially when art direction can make games on weaker hardware look better than the most drab "gritty" shooter. There are more than a couple 3DS games that have a better look in my mind than games made for consoles/PC.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I think Deadly Premonition is the obvious choice. Give that game a graphical upgrade and swap out its combat for something else, and it could be really great.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Good God no. I don't want to see a 3 after a title for at least the next 5 years. Give me fresh new titles. If I wanted to play rehashed games from a few years ago with slightly better graphics and framerate I'd just play games on the PC.

Avatar image for beyond_the_infinite
Beyond_the_infinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One could argue that everything on the next gen consoles shown so far is just updated current gen games.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only games I would want re-released on newer hardware are games that ran horribly on the system they were originally released on. Unlike last generation, virtually all games that came out on PS3 and 360 ran fine. The ones that struggles a bit (Far Cry 3 comes to mind) had PC releases that ran like butter.

People are saying that they want RDR rereleased due to there being on PC version, but I thought the 360 version was fine; I don't remember the framerate dipping at all. Only thing a PC version would bring (other than crisper graphics) is mod support.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@falserelic: <3 you for reminding me of that badass intro to Demon Siege and hate you for reminding me a proper sequel will never be released in the series..... Samanosuke!!!!!

On topic though, other than the few exceptions like RDR. There's more than enough DX11 PC versions of current gen console games that fill that hole.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I would, but for a stand alone titles that now look dated, rather than a remake of something with lots of sequels - such as Halo Anniversary (and I say that as someone that bought it). Why only stand alone titles? Well mainly because games that are part of a series tend to become more refined and are released long after the original came. Most of those sequels still retain enough of the originals mechanics that they could effectively be called a remake themselves (Mechanically at least). Plus it tends to be a little frustrating going back and playing a game that looks brand new but doesn't have the benefit of years of improvements behind them.

So would I want to see a GTA III remake? No, I'll take GTA 5. Halo = Halo 4 etc? Not really. Would I want a photorealistic, brilliantly animated version of Afrika/Hakuna Matata? Yes. Yes I would.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RavenX302

I just want an updated version of the Pirates of the Caribbean game released on Xbox and PC. I remember trying to play that on PC a few years back and it was a fucking buggy mess on that as well. Though, I hope they release Okmai again and again. Each gen, sense the PS2 I have bought that game, over and over again. Actually...I want them to port it to the SNES, as well as a Sega CD version. On the Sega CD version, I want to be able to mix my own video of me playing it as well...with bad ass scenes of Marky Mark.

Oh man, the 2600 version would be SIIIIIiiiicckkkk! I'm paintin all those sprites, motha fucka! Amaterasu's foot steps would be that sick ass sound from Haunted house! The brush would make a terrible CUUUUUUuuuuuuussss sound and caught all other music out. Yes.....that is what I want....fuck releasing Old games for new systems....I want New games ported to old systems. Intellivision presents.....Ubisoft's Watch Dogs....

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By 71Ranchero

I voted "Maybe" because I would love some reworked/better looking versions of the games I like but I didnt much care for many games this generation. I want HD version of Saturn/Dreamcast and OG Xbox/PS2 games for sure though.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really. I want new games. This current gen I have been keeping up so there really isn't much I would like to revisit. It seems like video games are becoming like Hollywood with the remake cash grabs. I'm not into quirky indie games so I want big studios to focus on pumping out AAA IPs.