Would you be willing to pay full price for a Mobile purchase?

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BradBrains

So here I was just finishing up the new Guitar hero quicklook and I notice there is an ios version.

"cool" I think "A rhythm game seems perfect for the phone format. play a song while waiting for my coffee to heat" or whatever.

So I download the free version, play the two songs and think "it plays well enough. you have my money" and hit the "purcahse full version button"

$57.99

Call me shocked.

So it got me thinking: what is the upper limit to what you would pay for mobile games and do you think we live in a world where full price mobile (ipad or iphone) can be a thing and will we ever get there? phones are getting more and more powerful and can handle more and more. they can use controllers etc and more people are playing on their phones than ever before.

Personally I have spent larger sums on certain mobile games. Mainly the pinball arcade once a year or so for their season pack (Which runs about 30-40 bucks for ten or so tables) but it certainly has to be a special case.

I have certainly seen games like transistor and kotor sell for 10 bucks or so but ive never seen 60 outside of "best value" microtransactions or non gaming tools

I know people have been spending tons of microtransactiosn forever but is the up front nature something that would work?

what say you bombers?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's the same game, why not?

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Ten bucks is about my limit for a mobile purchase, I'd say.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pay 40+ for vita & 3ds games so I guess my answer is yes.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pay 40+ for vita & 3ds games so I guess my answer is yes.

I was more speaking of phones and tablets but this is certainly a good point. there isnt much of a difference between the two.

Hell when it comes to games like guitar hero live, Phoenix wright etc there is basically no differences. in face ive choosen getting games like the new Phoenix wright because I have my phone or ipad around more often.

Do you think there still is a stigma towards mobile games as legit gaming platforms (legit as in more "full" experiences unlike the "Game of war" and one quick play games like threes etc.)

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

50+ is to much for a mobile game to me. Heck, even 3DS first party games don't tend to go above 39.99. If it's a full game 30+ hour game I might pay 40 for it.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play mobile games in five minute increments and never more than spanning a two week period. That keeps their worth under three dollars for me.

And there's no way an experience with the mobile version of a retail console product will be comparable. Art, sound, gameplay, user interaction: they're all dramatically downgraded in the transition to mobile. It may have taken six months to get the shaders right for the console release, but those shaders are gone on this phone, so the work the graphics programmer put in might as well never have happened. I don't care if you wrote the most beautiful song in the world; the reel-to-reel recording of it is just not worth as much as the FLAC file.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it was worth it. I have a hard time imagining a game feasible on a mobile platform that could justify that price though.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think an iphone or an android has the technological capabilities or the games to justify a $60 price for a game.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

If it justifies the price, sure. I have yet to see a game on mobile that justifies a price higher than 10 buck though.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

It'd have to be one hell of a game for me to even remotely consider it.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nope

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

No. Having my fingers in front of the screen is a huge turn off for anything except a time-waster.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

no fucking way, even it's the exact same game. I'm barely motivated to spend 2 or 3 dollars on a phone game.

tophar01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most I've spent on a mobile game is $20 on Marvel Puzzle Quest and I feel like that was way too much than I should have.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Phones are for 1 to 5 dollar games.

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't personally, but I rarely game on my phone. I'm not on my phone very much at all actually (often don't even take it out with me) so the only games I 'need' on it are small time wasters that I can get for free.

I don't have a problem with it in principle though, as long as you're getting the same game and it plays well.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

hmm I dunno maybe.

I mean I paid 30-40 bucks DS games and such. It would have to be something more in that vein than what is currently available on iOS. Gotta admit not sure I have much tolerance for long play sessions on a touch screen though.

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

My problem with mobile games is the controls so it's unlikely I'd find a game with enough depth that interested in that works will with the limited controls. And while I know you can sync controllers to some games, I don't have any interest in a handheld game where the screen and controls aren't in my hands together - and I'm not buying a phone accessory that does that, I'd rather a dedicated handheld game console that has been tested with the longevity to have a couple games to justify it.

That said, I'm not against full-price games on handhelds, so I don't see a difference on a hypothetical level for mobile. Though I should say, even on the 3DS I'd buy many more games if they were £20-£30 rather than £30-£40 (whereas on console games, I have much lower time for it so a lowered price probably wouldn't significantly increase the number of game I play).Then again, I'm probably just an extreme person in this regard, since I don't even use my phone for music as I prefer having a dedicated device for it (my iPod from 2009 who I prefer the sound output than any phone I've used). I just think if I'm going to spend time doing something, I'd rather the best experience of that I can afford.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

$6-8 is probably my max; I would've laughed out loud if I saw that pricetag lol

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the game was as good as a console, handheld or PC release, then sure!

However, since the controls are inherently gimped, that will never ever happen. As such, the practical answer is no fucking way.