Xbox 360 Red Ring of Death

gabeyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gabeyu

I thought my system was the only one immune but it finally hit me, those dreaded Red Rings. I sent out my xbox and I can't seem to find on the web what they do. Do they just fix the system or do the replace the entire motherboard or what happens? I'm sure many of you have sent your xbox in. When it came back did it have an entirely new serial number? Did maybe the drive sound quieter? Please let me know as I anxiously await the return of my console. Thanks

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Replace it, hence why you keep your HDD

spragels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By spragels

It all depends I think. I had three red rings and they just gave me a brand new system.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Vinchenzo

I got the same system in my case, it all depends on how badly damaged your system is. I expect you get the same model (e.g. HDMI port or no HDMI port) regardless. It took me a week and a half to get the box, ship it out, and get it back. Good luck.

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By banksrob

i have had it for 7 months and no ring of death i dont want ot jynx myself so i aint talking about it

Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Schizoid

My Dad sent his in and got his motherboard replaced, another friend sent his in and they had no idea what was wrong with it, but then someone working on it managed to break it so they just gave him a new one! So I guess you've gotta wait and see.

Evil_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Evil_Eye

It varies from box to box.

My 360 is being repaired right now. If UPS ship it back in time, it will have been fixed within a week.

Pretty dam quick imo.

The_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Beast

They send you a new one and give yours to another person

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I've been through 4 Xbox 360's, when you send it back I'm pretty sure they just replace it ( a new serial number). It won't be any quieter unless there was a problem with your 360 that made it louder. Don't forget to keep your HDD.

DocDaneeka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DocDaneeka

I just got mine replaced, and I'm not sure whether its a new console or my old one. I'm just glad that they got it back to me in about a week and a half.

Avatar image for sparklingtigershake
sparklingtigershake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After my fourth 360 busted I just gave up and got a graphics card instead. Shame. Xbox 1 was my all time favorite console.

AttackedCamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AttackedCamo

I only had mine break on me once after two years of gaming. They repaired and shipped my 360 back within a week. So it wasn't that bad.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Isn't RROD caused by heat and the seam on the GPU bursts or something to that effect?

Galv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Galv

All 3 times that I have sent mine in they have replaced it.

2 times with the rrod and once with some sort of disk tray problem.

TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TEAMHOLT

I remember reading that they now take the time to fix the same Xbox you sent in, then send it back to you. They may have stopped doing that now and returned to shipping out already-fixed units, since they have the XBLM re-licensing tool out there now, but I don't know.

My Xbox just broke as well, but it's not the three red quadrants, so I'm not going to be able to get it fixed for free. Huge bummer.

Sharvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16  Edited By Sharvie

When i got RROD, I got the same Xbox, just repaired. Make sure you take your HDD and any disks out the drive.

ArchV1le

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By ArchV1le

I've gone through 3 360's and each time I've sent one in I've gotten a different console back :-/

sdodd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sdodd02

Mine died today :(

gabeyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gabeyu

Thanks for all the responses guys. Sounds like they get your console in, toss a fucking coin in the air, and let that decide what happens to your xbox. I was just hoping I would get one with a quieter drive. I believe my broken xbox was a 1st generation one.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By BoG

This is an excellent topic to be discussed in the Xbox 360 specific forum.

nubsway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nubsway

I have it and it sucks I am going to send it in soon

MRBOND93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MRBOND93

I just sent mine in last week I almost had it for a year and it went

MyGirlHatesBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MyGirlHatesBox

I have had 3 different ones finally sold the returned 3rd one to a friend and bought an Elite. Good luck man if you cant wait for the return go rent one for the week to keep gaming on.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By grilledcheez

I got a replacement console twice and they actually fixed it last time (although it's louder than ever since then)

Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Aarny91

Why i don't want one.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#26  Edited By gla55jAw

After a year and 7 months and being the only one out of my friends to not get the red ring, it finally happened.

TOYBOXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By TOYBOXX

I'm personally not too concerned if Microsoft replaces the original console for another one or install a brand new board altogether. As long as they fix my console, for free, then I'm happy. Look the 360 is going to remain to fry out and people will continuously send they're systems in for repairs. This will continue to happen until the next console generation so get used to it.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By SSbabel

They will replace the console if they cannot fix the console.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By brukaoru
TOYBOXX said:
"I'm personally not too concerned if Microsoft replaces the original console for another one or install a brand new board altogether. As long as they fix my console, for free, then I'm happy. Look the 360 is going to remain to fry out and people will continuously send they're systems in for repairs. This will continue to happen until the next console generation so get used to it."
I agree, I think Microsoft needs to make their next console have nearly 100% backwards compatibility. If they don't, people who want to play a 360 game years later and their 360s get the RROD or has another problem, they won't be repairing them anymore and that would really suck. No backwards compatibility in the next Xbox = Fail.
TOYBOXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By TOYBOXX
brukaoru said:
"TOYBOXX said:
"I'm personally not too concerned if Microsoft replaces the original console for another one or install a brand new board altogether. As long as they fix my console, for free, then I'm happy. Look the 360 is going to remain to fry out and people will continuously send they're systems in for repairs. This will continue to happen until the next console generation so get used to it."
I agree, I think Microsoft needs to make their next console have nearly 100% backwards compatibility. If they don't, people who want to play a 360 game years later and their 360s get the RROD or has another problem, the won't be repairing them anymore and that would really suck. No backwards compatibility in the next Xbox = Fail."
Microsoft already said, back in 2006 I believe, that BC isn't their concern in the next console generation. I'm not sure if it's they're way of blowing some smoke up Sony's ass because they do support BC, I don't know. But I agree. If they don't have some sort of backwards support of the previous console, and wait until later to patch up the games to make them compatible with the new system as they've done with Xbox-to-360, especially during a console transition, they're in trouble.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By brukaoru
TOYBOXX said:
"Microsoft already said, back in 2006 I believe, that BC isn't their concern in the next console generation. I'm not sure if it's they're way of blowing some smoke up Sony's ass because they do support BC, I don't know. But I agree. If they don't have some sort of backwards support of the previous console, and wait until later to patch up the games to make them compatible with the new system as they've done with Xbox-to-360, especially during a console transition, they're in trouble."
Well hopefully they don't live by that statement, after all, back in 2006 they didn't know the problem of RROD would be so widespread. If they patch the games through software emulation rather then hardware, I'm sure some games will have issues just like some people have issues with PS2 games on the PS3 80GB models. I hope they are smart and decide to have hardware emulation for 360 games in the next Xbox.
ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By ep_driver

I just experienced the Red Rings for the first time about 5 minutes ago. Terrible. 2 days before my last final and I was going to get caught up on all the fall/winter releases.