Xbox 720 is going to have a crappy GPU

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AnimalFather
Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

this is youtube spam, not only that but no one knows the specs of the Wii U or the NextBox

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AnimalFather
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

Yo, that guys doesn't seem to understand how console design works. The only console I know of that had standard "off-the-shelf" parts in it was the original Xbox. So very few people on this earth actually know what is going to be in the next boxes.

Also I'm pretty sure this qualifies as youtube spam.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

Because how something performs on a PC will perform exactly the same on a system dedicated to something with games designed around it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

@AnimalFather said:

xbox has already revealed that its going to be the 6670 card and wii-u is using the 4870

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/24/xbox-720-will-be-six-times-as-powerful-as-current-gen

According to your very link:

will yield 20-percent greater performance than Nintendo's forthcoming console, the Wii U.

You should check first.

Also remember that consoles don't need to be as powerful as PC's; their hardware is made from the ground up and completely standardized (i.e. it will be the same for every single one) for graphics.

Does not excuse using a graphics card that will be two years old at the time of release, but it's hardly as bad as it seems.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Karl_Boss

You need to learn how to read.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By h0lgr

Yeah, I'd imagine the parts would be customized and console-specific.
I'd also imagine it to be ridiculous to include a 6670 in a NEXT-GENERATION console.
But let's not fret until we get to see it run Crysis 3 on 1080 with silky-smooth 60 FPS... 
Don't fuck this up, Microsoft, I'm counting on you.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AnimalFather

same rules apply for both consoles yet nintendo is using a better more expensive card and xbox is using a crappy card thats worst than a graphics card i bought for 50bucks 3years ago the GT8800

ick_bop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ick_bop

@AnimalFather:

Lay off the weed, bro.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AnimalFather

@believer258 said:

@AnimalFather said:

xbox has already revealed that its going to be the 6670 card and wii-u is using the 4870

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/24/xbox-720-will-be-six-times-as-powerful-as-current-gen

will yield 20-percent greater performance than Nintendo's forthcoming console, the Wii U.

You should check first.

Also remember that consoles don't need to be as powerful as PC's; their hardware is made from the ground up and completely standardized (i.e. it will be the same for every single one) for graphics.

Does not excuse using a graphics card that will be two years old at the time of release, but it's hardly as bad as it seems.

if you watched the video before typing you would see that the video discredits igns claims. pwnd

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgnosticJesus

You're a complete jackass. RUMORS surfaced yesterday that said the graphics card is based off the 6600 series cards. I guess you don't fully understand the definition of a rumor. Do you always believe everything you read on the Internet? Only tangible info I've seen regarding the GPU came from ATI, saying that the next Xbox will push Avatar quality graphics. I guess it's easier for you to believe supposed quotes from "unnamed sources" verses the word of the company actually developing the GPU.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By TheHBK

@nintendoeats said:

Yo, that guys doesn't seem to understand how console design works. The only console I know of that had standard "off-the-shelf" parts in it was the original Xbox. So very few people on this earth actually know what is going to be in the next boxes.

The PS3 has a Geforce 7800 with a fancy name.

@AnimalFather said:

No way!!!! What else did Xbox tell you? How is he doing? Tell him I think he rocks. Fucken Rookie.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By spazmaster666

@AnimalFather said:

same rules apply for both consoles yet nintendo is using a better more expensive card and xbox is using a crappy card thats worst than a graphics card i bought for 50bucks 3years ago the GT8800

If the Wii-U is using a card based on the 4000 series then it's going to way older tech than the 720's rumored GPU which is using 6000 series tech. The HD 4000 series doesn't even support DX11. Of course there are other rumors that the 720 may end up using Southern Islands tech (28nm) instead of Northern Islands (32nm) which would make sense due to lower heat and power consumption, especially if it's coming out 2013.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AnimalFather

@AgnosticJesus said:

You're a complete jackass. RUMORS surfaced yesterday that said the graphics card is based off the 6600 series cards. I guess you don't fully understand the definition of a rumor. Do you always believe everything you read on the Internet? Only tangible info I've seen regarding the GPU came from ATI, saying that the next Xbox will push Avatar quality graphics. I guess it's easier for you to believe supposed quotes from "unnamed sources" verses the word of the company actually developing the GPU.

its not unknown sources its IGN. and apparently they contacted a MS working on the 720.

here you can compare the cards:

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=564&card2=654

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Justin258

@AnimalFather said:

@believer258 said:

@AnimalFather said:

You should check first.

if you watched the video before typing you would see that the video discredits igns claims. pwnd

I will trust IGN before I trust some random dolt on the internet about unreleased, hardly specified hardware.

Remember that this stuff will be specialized for the consoles. Not stock parts. We won't really know until release. Besides, the best way to measure this as of now is release date, and the Xbox is releasing a whole year after the Wii U.

And, before I wash my hands of this thread, PC's will always be more powerful so this argument gets very irrelevant, very quick.

Good day!

Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By darkdragonmage99

What does it matter really is long as it can output at 1080p at 60 fps who gives a shit how powerful it is after that.  It's not like anyone has a TV that can output any higher. 

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AnimalFather: Once again, you CANNOT compare a console GPU and a PC GPU. PC games need to be designed to support a broad-spectrum of cards and configurations. Where as a console GPU will be standardized and modified for the soul purpose of playing games and developers can squeeze the most out of the GPU.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By SSully

There is nothing I hate more then future console speculation. It is never anything but fanboys bitching or people who love to act like they know what they are talking about. Just wait until the shit is officially announced and then we can talk.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By h0lgr
@darkdragonmage99 said:
 What does it matter really is long as it can output at 1080p at 60 fps who gives a shit how powerful it is after that.  It's not like anyone has a TV that can output any higher. 
I agree in theory, but in 2 to 3 years people might have completely different and new tech on their TV's.
So the box should be futureproof for at least a couple of years forward.
But yes, all that matters for me too is 1080p60.
kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By kindgineer

@believer258 said:

@AnimalFather said:

@believer258 said:

@AnimalFather said:

You should check first.

I will trust IGN before I trust some random dolt on the internet about unreleased, hardly specified hardware.

Remember that this stuff will be specialized for the consoles. Not stock parts. We won't really know until release. Besides, the best way to measure this as of now is release date, and the Xbox is releasing a whole year after the Wii U.

And, before I wash my hands of this thread, PC's will always be more powerful so this argument gets very irrelevant, very quick.

Good day!

Thankfully I didn't have to get my hands dirty, this smart gentlemen did it for me. Although, calling the OP a derogatory name sounds enticing...so...idiot.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox

delete this spam already. it's misinformation intended to rile people up

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dagbiker

@h0lgr said:

@darkdragonmage99 said:
What does it matter really is long as it can output at 1080p at 60 fps who gives a shit how powerful it is after that. It's not like anyone has a TV that can output any higher.
I agree in theory, but in 2 to 3 years people might have completely different and new tech on their TV's. So the box should be futureproof for at least a couple of years forward. But yes, all that matters for me too is 1080p60.

there is no such thing as future proof.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AnimalFather

i like people say you cant compare console to pc yet it seems they dont understand that the same applies to wii-u as well...

Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By darkdragonmage99
@h0lgr:  And the system will still be locked at 1080 even if it was capable of better  Just like the 360 and ps3 that are locked at 720 and upscale to 1080 now. Consoles are future proof to a point because they wont be releasing another batch for another 5 or more years after the next generation comes out.   

Your average person also only updates their tv when they need to fuck my old tv before I bought the one I have now was 15 years old and I only bought a new hd tv because my old tv stopped working all together,
h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By h0lgr
@Dagbiker said:

@h0lgr said:

@darkdragonmage99 said:
What does it matter really is long as it can output at 1080p at 60 fps who gives a shit how powerful it is after that. It's not like anyone has a TV that can output any higher.
I agree in theory, but in 2 to 3 years people might have completely different and new tech on their TV's. So the box should be futureproof for at least a couple of years forward. But yes, all that matters for me too is 1080p60.

there is no such thing as future proof.

Well, what I mean by that is that you make the box more powerful than what is standard for the time being, so when whatever new TV technology comes out
the box would be able to handle it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

There are no official specs for either system. There is however, much speculation, which is a waste of stinking time.

cheapandtacky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cheapandtacky

@AnimalFather said:

apperently the Wii-U will have a GPU 2x as powerful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa_aMuADKAg&feature=g-u-u&context=G2c48e8fFUAAAAAAALAA

I admit I only watched half the video. But from what I did see the guy starts of by saying he doesn't know crap, then moves on to compare memory bandwidth and fill rates as if they mean anything. It's like saying a p4 running at 3ghz is more powerfull than a core i7 running at 2.8.

And if you needed anymore convincing that that video is full of crap have you read the title?

"WII U 2X More Faster/Graphically more Power Than the Xbox 720" seriously?

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AnimalFather

@cheapandtacky said:

@AnimalFather said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa_aMuADKAg&feature=g-u-u&context=G2c48e8fFUAAAAAAALAA

I admit I only watched half the video. But from what I did see the guy starts of by saying he doesn't know crap, then moves on to compare memory bandwidth and fill rates as if they mean anything. It's like saying a p4 running at 3ghz is more powerfull than a core i7 running at 2.8.

And if you needed anymore convincing that that video is full of crap have you read the title?

should have watched the whole thing. the cards were benchmarked and the wii-u gpu scored a lot higher:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By vaiz

OP used the term pwned unironically as a way of expressing (what he thought was) the end of an argument. Nothing more to see here, folks. Clear on out, you don't have to go home but you can't stay here.

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

@AnimalFather: these are comparisons to relative pc hardware, wiiU and the nextbox will have custum gpus

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mordukai

*Rolls eyes*

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33  Edited By spazmaster666

@AnimalFather said:

should have watched the whole thing. the cards were benchmarked and the wii-u gpu scored a lot higher:

Comparing the HD 4870 to the HD 6670 is pointless since we have no idea what the actual chips on the Wii-U or Xbox 720 actually are especially if the 720 ends up being an SoC and the Wii-U does not.

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jumanji

Yes, a 1:1 comparison between a PC with a 6670 slotted and the hypothetical 720 box is kind of pointless.

BUT, if we assume for the sake of discussion that the rumor is true,

This can only mean that Microsoft intends to sell units at a profit from day 1. 6670 is a budget component today. Onboard Kinect 2.0 will likely use GPU resources. The next gen is going to look a lot like this one.

Where will the substantive differences be? The more interesting rumors have to do with disabling used content by forcing you to tie keys to a persistent gamertag.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dagbiker

@AnimalFather said:

@cheapandtacky said:

@AnimalFather said:

So what? the Wii U might be fitted with a Pentium II and run at 75mhz and only be able to render 4 things on screen at time, and guess what, it will still look like crap.

The Xbox might be fitted with 2 i7s and be able to render a whole whored of people each doing there own thing. but it will only get crappy wii u ports.

Creme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Creme

The 4850 that the Wii U is rumoured to have is actually better, but since both are custom versions who knows what's happening. I can't tell why Nintendo chose the 4000 series, they're hotter and more expensive than the 5000 series.

The 720 may have an overclocked 6670 and the Wii U an underclocked 4850 (the standard one consumes almost twice the power), rendering the PC argument moot, then again it might be different, who knows?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mordukai

@TheHBK said:

@nintendoeats said:

The PS3 has a Geforce 7800 with a fancy name.

Reality Synthesizers sounds like a crappy 80's New Age/Electric band.

@ick_bop: Animal_Father is...What's the right word...unique.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Three0neFive

ITT: People who don't know the first thing about hardware fight about console specs

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

This is YouTube spam. In the future please try to put some effort into writing more text you post alongside any links.