so i was listening to the bombcast and i heard Rorie saying how bad the pc xbox app is, and i've heard others complaining too, i think Vinny had some issues a few weeks ago. i wanted to just put this out there, hopefully it can help someone. first off, i agree this is dumb, we shouldn't have to fix issues like this with the xbox app.
so i did this about 6 months ago so my memory may not be 100%, i figured it was a folder permissions issue so i played around with the settings in Windows and it seems to be working since then. i install all pc xbox games to my D drive, specifically there's a folder that was created D:\WindowsApps that i could not open.
- right click the folder
- go to the "Security" tab
- click "Advanced"
- in the "Permissions" tab, select your user name from the "Permissions entries" box (this is a list of both users and groups, i selected the user account i made when i first ran Windows, mine is called "nick")
- click "Edit"
- make sure the following fields are set:
- Type: Allow
- Applies to: This folder, subfolders and files
- Basic permissions: everything is checked except for "Special permissions" which is greyed out
- i did NOT check "Only apply these permissions to objects and/or containers within this container"
now i can open the WindowsApps folder and browse through it, and i haven't had any issues running any game, even Halo Master Chief Collection hasn't had any problems. please be careful though, i wouldn't recommend moving/editing any files in this folder.
alternatively you could try installing WSL 2 and run something like "chmod -R 755 WindowsApps" but i'm not sure, i haven't tried that yet. i'm not sure how Windows would translate linux permissions. also i'm sure there is a Powershell equivalent but who the hell knows how to do that.