Xbox Live Family Plan And More Safety Stuff Coming In November

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson
Microsoft's upcoming family deal might be just perfect for those you who bunk up with a couple of dudes with Xbox Live Gold accounts--barring that you don't actually have two kids and a loved one who are positively thirsting to be called dirty names over the service. 

This November, prior to Kinect's launch, the publisher is set to offer four Xbox Live Gold memberships for $99.99, the price of two Live Gold subscriptions. And while the deal will also be good for those of us living outside the traditional family structure, the deal is being touted as a family subscription plan, which will be reinforced by new child control features coming to the dashboard within the same release window.  

No Caption Provided

== TEASER ==So what won't your little beauties be able to see if you so choose come November? The PR says that you'll be able to strip M-rated games and mature movies from NXE bubbles, in addition to being able to block games based on ESRB ratings, making it mad hard for Johnny to pop in Gears of War at 2AM like he used to. That'll teach him. 

Family "activity" reports will also become available on Xbox.com, which, in addition to a new NXE panel, will also allow the primary account-holder-dude to dish out Microsoft Banana Bucks as he or she desires.

Since my cats can't use a controller, I'm still stuck on the Xbox Live deal. I wonder if it'll roll box-style or only as a digital-tied-to-the-Xbox-360 deal? I'm guessing the latter, considering how easy it would be to get a good pool going to save some cash for everyone involved.    
BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson
Microsoft's upcoming family deal might be just perfect for those you who bunk up with a couple of dudes with Xbox Live Gold accounts--barring that you don't actually have two kids and a loved one who are positively thirsting to be called dirty names over the service. 

This November, prior to Kinect's launch, the publisher is set to offer four Xbox Live Gold memberships for $99.99, the price of two Live Gold subscriptions. And while the deal will also be good for those of us living outside the traditional family structure, the deal is being touted as a family subscription plan, which will be reinforced by new child control features coming to the dashboard within the same release window.  

No Caption Provided

== TEASER ==So what won't your little beauties be able to see if you so choose come November? The PR says that you'll be able to strip M-rated games and mature movies from NXE bubbles, in addition to being able to block games based on ESRB ratings, making it mad hard for Johnny to pop in Gears of War at 2AM like he used to. That'll teach him. 

Family "activity" reports will also become available on Xbox.com, which, in addition to a new NXE panel, will also allow the primary account-holder-dude to dish out Microsoft Banana Bucks as he or she desires.

Since my cats can't use a controller, I'm still stuck on the Xbox Live deal. I wonder if it'll roll box-style or only as a digital-tied-to-the-Xbox-360 deal? I'm guessing the latter, considering how easy it would be to get a good pool going to save some cash for everyone involved.    
Mechwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Mechwing

Cool

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Family Plan? I'm just imagining one of those overly cheery 50s movies, only now with Xbox Live in there.

somethingepic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By somethingepic

yay for family

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By mustachioeugene

Is Microsoft starting to sell birth control, or are they just assuming that watching people use Kinect means no one will ever get laid again?

Oops, it's Family Plan, not Family Planning.

GoodAssLettuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By GoodAssLettuce

I think this is pretty good idea, especially if they allow the accounts to be over multiple boxes.  My only question is whether you can separate the accounts at a later date or if they are permanently linked.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Vorbis

The kids in that photo are way too young to have their own XBL accounts. 

The number of "man exposes himself to minor over XBL" stories are going to go way up.

Skillface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Skillface

Is it possible to buy this deal, and use all 4 years yourself?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Dany
@baltrush1 said:
" yup, cheapen what i have paid for.  The family only really needs one subscription anyway. "
No, if their are four people, parents and kids. Having all of them using one account would make live and parental control harder to manage
somethingepic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By somethingepic
@mustachioeugene said:
" Is Microsoft starting to sell birth control, or are they just assuming that watching people use Kinect means no one will ever get laid again?

Oops, it's Family Plan, not Family Planning. "
Family Planning is planned for next year currently
mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By mordecaix7
@Skillface said:
" Is it possible to buy this deal, and use all 4 years yourself? "
This is the first thing that came to mind.
HarrySound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By HarrySound

hmm what about families with 3 people or perhaps 5 or 6? 
90% of parents don't care what games thier childeren play and pretty much 99% of them probably can't be bothered to go through the complex parental controls.
Avatar image for mustachioeugene
mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mustachioeugene
@somethingepic: The Kinect will start emitting sperm-killing radiowaves to those it deems not worthy of reproducing.  It's 1984 meets Skynet people!  

Big brother is watching you, and it's kind of pointing and laughing at your freestyle moves during 'Pokerface'

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ProfessorEss
@mustachioeugene said:

" @somethingepic: The Kinect will start emitting sperm-killing radiowaves to those it deems not worthy of reproducing.  It's 1984 meets Skynet people!    Big brother is watching you, and it's kind of pointing and laughing at your freestyle moves during 'Pokerface'  "

I'm cool wit' that.
I already have my son, so all that does is save me money on rubbers :)
Archaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Archaen

Where did that brunette couple steal those blond kids from?

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somethingepic said:

" @mustachioeugene said:

" Is Microsoft starting to sell birth control, or are they just assuming that watching people use Kinect means no one will ever get laid again?

Oops, it's Family Plan, not Family Planning. "
Family Planning is planned for next year currently "
what are the odds of it being a Kinect game?
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bgrngod

@mordecaix7 said:

" @Skillface said:

This is the first thing that came to mind. "

Why did this come to mind?  Isn't it obvious this is for 4 accounts to be used concurrently in the same year?

You could do that all you want I suppose.  If you really want 4 accounts.
mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mordecaix7
@Bgrngod said:
" @mordecaix7 said:
" @Skillface said:
This is the first thing that came to mind. "

Why did this come to mind?  Isn't it obvious this is for 4 accounts to be used concurrently in the same year?

You could do that all you want I suppose.  If you really want 4 accounts.
"
It is obvious they mean it for 4 accounts to be used concurrently for the same year.  It's also obvious that Best Buy employees aren't supposed to give they're employee discount to friends.  The comment Skillface and I had is more about is more about wondering if there is a way around using 4 separate accounts.  It's not about what is obvious, but what could be possible.
Skillface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Skillface
@Bgrngod: That makes more sense. I figured it was just them throwing you four codes for the price of two.
Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

This is actually perfect for me. I happen to fall right in this offer's wheelhouse. If I can get Live for half price for my 3 kids and I, I'll take it.

church069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By church069
@Archaen said:
" Where did that brunette couple steal those blond kids from? "
They didn't steal them, Mommy was just messing around behind Daddy's back.
snoopdye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By snoopdye

Nice info. To bad the article was poorly written.  Brad Nicholson... Ugh....

JustinSane311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JustinSane311

No thanks MS.  I pay $30 for my yearly subscription and I share the account with my two roommates...so I'm actually paying $10 a year for live!!!

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FakePlasticTree
@Vorbis said:
" The kids in that photo are way too young to have their own XBL accounts.    

That little boy is about the age of the MW2 kids calling you ever racial slur they know, and also informing you that their pre-pubescent selves entered your mother last night, probably without her consent.  

This deal is pretty solid. Though I'm guessing it's only for multiple accounts on a single console. 
willparry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By willparry
@Church069: P                  Bb       x          Bb 
  F1                          bb 

Sorry, I'm a biology teacher, I couldn't resist:) Just in case you're not up on your genetics, it's possible to have blonde kids if you've both got brown hair, blonde being a recessive trait. Not to mention that for most people their hair turns darker with age.   
This all aside, I'm pretty sure these are all unrelated models. 
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I get the idea 2 of those accounts might be gimped in some way as "child" accounts but we'll see.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vorbis
@FakePlasticTree said:
" @Vorbis said:
 That little boy is about the age of the MW2 kids calling you ever racial slur they know, and also informing you that their pre-pubescent selves entered your mother last night, probably without her consent. "
I'm suddenly glad I use my PS3 for online where no one has mics.
church069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By church069
@WillParry:   I do know it is possible for a brunette couple to have blond kids, even though the odds are kind of low(dominant vs recessive traits), I did attend my grade school biology class after all.  Just having some fun with the picture of models being paid to look like a family.

That aside, I'm all for having parental involvement when it comes kids playing video games (even though kids shouldn't have their own XBL accounts).  It gives video games a better public image.  Now if only parents would actually take the time to play games with their children, rather than just letting the console act like a babysitter.
louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By louiedog
@Archaen said:
" Where did that brunette couple steal those blond kids from? "
My parents both have dark brown hair, but I was very blond until I was 10 or so, at which time my hair got a lot darker.
Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#30  Edited By Spiritof

What happens to this family plan when that family finds out that Dad's been cheating with PSN?

Huh, Microsoft?

WHAT HAPPENS THEN?!!!

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By onan
@HarrySound said:
" hmm what about families with 3 people or perhaps 5 or 6? 90% of parents don't care what games thier childeren play and pretty much 99% of them probably can't be bothered to go through the complex parental controls. "
Nuclear families only on this promo. If your name isn't Billy, Sarah, Daddy or Mommy, you need not apply.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Branthog

What a rip off. First of all, that isn't the price of "two normal plans". That's the price of more more than 2.5 as annual memberships are around $35 to $40 at any given time. Second, it should be $40 per home. Period. Just like netflix or cable or any other service.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By natetodamax

In that picture: 

• The little blond boy is smiling and look at the woman
  • The woman is smiling and looking at the little blond boy
  • The gentleman is smiling and looking at the little blond girl
  • The little blond girl and smiling and looking at the little blond boy

What is going on here!?!?!
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34  Edited By jakob187

The ability to basically "gift" Microsoft Points makes this awesome. 

I'll also take this to mean that Microsoft may be making it possible to gift Microsoft Points directly from your account in the future?

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By MadeinFinland
@Vorbis said:
" @FakePlasticTree said:
" @Vorbis said:
 That little boy is about the age of the MW2 kids calling you ever racial slur they know, and also informing you that their pre-pubescent selves entered your mother last night, probably without her consent. "
I'm suddenly glad I use my PS3 for online where no one has mics. "
Up until now I figured that a lack of mics was a negative trait for the PS3, but well done sir! You have convinced me it is a benefit.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@HarrySound said:
" hmm what about families with 3 people or perhaps 5 or 6? 90% of parents don't care what games thier childeren play and pretty much 99% of them probably can't be bothered to go through the complex parental controls. "
they aren't complex infact it has been remarked by a few websites that the parental controls on the 360 are easy to use and very powerful.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By meteora

I wonder if its like a pack of four gold membership cards or something. It would definitely save up money if you just bought those instead of $60 cards per year. 

On a more serious note, I've been wondering why they don't allow multiple of accounts to share the same gold membership.

ratzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ratzombie

I still think it's absurd that Gold is account specific, and not console specific. I think $50.00 a year ought to grant any user of that console the ability to play online multiplayer, regardless of which account they use.

gett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gett

I monitor computer from iPhone with Actymac VidShots remoye (actymac.com)

TOYBOXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By TOYBOXX

Everyone is moving like ants to this "deal". Running around calling up the online buddies just to save a few bucks - it's pathetic. With as much ad revenue Microsoft is collecting on XBL each year, it's a wonder why they just don't open up the flood gates, and give everyone free access to the service with some paid premiums. Similar to what DDO is doing and/or what LOTRO adopted coming this fall. Or better yet what Sony is doing right now with the PS3. 

It all seems like a headache.

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FakePlasticTree
@Vorbis said:

" @FakePlasticTree said:

" @Vorbis said:
I'm suddenly glad I use my PS3 for online where no one has mics. "
You don't play Uncharted 2 do you? It's not as bad, but those kids still exist on the PSN.
opuelas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By opuelas
@Branthog said:
" What a rip off. First of all, that isn't the price of "two normal plans". That's the price of more more than 2.5 as annual memberships are around $35 to $40 at any given time. Second, it should be $40 per home. Period. Just like netflix or cable or any other service. "
Netflix isn't a flat rate "per home" or anything. Depending on the number of DVDs you can have out in your subscription you get X number of devices you can use Instant Watch with simultaneously.

I believe it goes like, 1 DVD = 1 device watching, 2 DVDs = 2 devices, etc. Each device needs to be logged in under your profile too.

That, and you only get about 5 devices total to flag as using your account.