Xbox One X was the Xbox I Didn't Know I Wanted

yankeesmcav1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Recently, my friend got a Series X so I bought an One X off him. I hooked it up, signed into my old XBL account (I had a 360 but switch to PS4 for last gen), and saw my old online purchases ready to download. It was an immediate hit of nostalgia and joy as I finally could play these games again after years of having no access to them. I also signed up for Game Pass. It's incredible! I have signed up for and canceled PS Now a couple of times but I can't see myself doing the same with Game Pass. It just has so much and being able to play any Halo game whenever I want is too much for me to pass on. There isn't more to say than I really like the Xbox experience, generally speaking, and I am happy to be a generation behind for a while because I can go back and play old games.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congrats, the 1X is a legit amazing console. And also, you’ll be pretty much all set for new games until at least 2022.

inevpatoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Honestly, the X1X offers still offers a really comprehensive gaming experience. Snagging a gently used unit second-hand and jumping into Game Pass is a bargain that's hard to refuse, especially since a fair share of Microsoft's first-party games (Halo, Forza, Gears) are accessible in near-entirety there.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Sahalarious

Glad you had a similar experience to me, I was ps4 at the start of the gen but only touched it to play exclusives since getting my 1x. The Xbox ecosystem is so good, I'm always blown away by how much the duders hated the UI, especially given the endless scrolling list of shit that PS4 uses for their UI haha.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm always blown away by how much the duders hated the UI,

IMO the Xbox UI layout has been better than PS for quite awhile. The problem is performance. Definitely better now than it was on the release Xbone, but still not as smooth as it should be.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@frytup: that's fair, I guess I just don't spend that much time surfing the library, the pins and groups are the best quality of life improvement ever.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: The Xbox UI also has a tendency to hang at random points and it can sometimes do weird things (like take you to a page you didn't visit when you're trying to go back.) It's also very ad heavy and doesn't really surface your games and apps well. They're not hard to find if you know where to look or anything, but it often feels like you turn on the Xbox and just get in the face with a bunch of ads for other stuff rather than the things you already have access to on the console, which a lot of people find extremely offputing.

I think the Xbox UI is more functional and definitely more customizable than the PS4 UI (I have not seen the PS5 UI) but the PS4 UI is cleaner and better when you're just trying to turn on the machine and play one of the last few things you previously played. Xbox does a better job of letting you organize your stuff and pin your perennial favorites and that kind of thing, but PS4 is a better "just turn it on and get right into the last thing I was doing" experience.

PS4's UI is also more reliable.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: You can definitely tell which UI was designed by a consumer products company and which was designed by a software company with three decades of PC operating system history - for good and bad. Yeah, the Xbox UI can be a bit clunky and overloaded. Much like that other OS Microsoft is known for.

For me, though, it works very well. I use it as a media center at least as much as I use it to play games, and that's where the pin system really shines. You turn it on and all your apps are right on the front page arranged in the way you like them. PS4 doesn't do that nearly as well.

Can't say I've ever had Xbox reliability problems. Other than basic sluggishness, that is.

LilNatureBoyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LilNatureBoyX

I sold my X to downgrade to an S with the difference paying for a PS4 slim. Then a few months later I ended up scoring one of those TCL 6 TVs at 66% off and regret not having it anymore.

Edit: and totally agree I get around the Xbox dash with far fewer button presses than ps4 and recent firmwares have been chipping away at the slowdowns

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This generation might have been the one I was the least excited for, and as it comes to a close, I'm kind of left thinking that as I look back the Xbox One X might be my most played, used and overall enjoyed console since the SNES. My wife and I literally use it almost every day in some capacity. It's wild to think about since when it was launched I could not imagine being less "meh" about it.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I think this is a great time to grab an Xbox One X if you missed out on Xbox games on the last generation or have never owned an Xbox. A used One X for €100-150 is much better value than a brand new Series S for €300.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: The Xbox is an absolutely fantastic streaming box. I've used it as my primary streaming box basically since I got it and I don't think anything else I've used comes close. Its UI makes it way easier to manage content like DLC than PS4's does. With Xbox you can easily see what you have installed for each game and manage it, while PS4 requires you to navigate to and then dig around in the "info" screen to be able to sort of find that information but also requires booting up the store to do it.

In terms of the unreliability I'm not necessarily talking about things like crashes or whatever but just weird behavior. It happens a lot if you use the search function or follow an ad in the store and then try to use the b button to back up. It will often put you in a very odd place in the store. There are also issues with the store displaying whether you've already purchased an item.

I love the Xbox One X. I think it's the perfect realization of Microsoft's ambitions for one box to do everything you need in the living room. That's one of the reasons the Series S makes sense as a product. It's basically an X1X with a few extra tricks and a faster hard drive.

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: judging by the ps5 UI. Its anything but reliable.

elisdee1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One x is a great machine and at 6.2 teraflops it ain’t that far away from a PS5 (3.8 difrence) current gen the xbox is 12.3 teraflops and PS5 is only 10.4 teraflops. So bang for buck it’s the best most affordable 4k console and with game pass it’s almost a no brainer, I been on Xbox live for like 15 years now I got a few hundred titles on my account.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elisdee1: Teraflops ain't everything.

The Xbox One X has more teraflops than the Series S (and more RAM as measured by gigabytes, though I believe it's slower RAM) but has a CPU bottleneck and of course no integrated SSD.

It's a powerful machine but the PlayStation 5 absolutely blows it away in performance, which, of course, is totally unsurprising.

Is it actually the most affordable 4K console at this point? The Series S can do 4K on some games (especially 8th gen ones) and as far as I can tell the One X is going for MORE online for a used version than the Series S (though obviously the One X has higher availability.)

I own and love the One X. It's a great console for sure, and I'm glad I bought it at launch and am happy with the 3 years I got out of it. But I'd have a really hard time recommending it at this point with the Series S out there and at the prices the One X seems to go for right now. If you can get one off a friend for $150 or whatever then it makes sense, provided you know that it won't be getting new games for much longer, but I don't know why anyone would pay the $350+ Gamestop is asking or the $450(!!!!) that Amazon is asking for at this point. $450 is very close to the price of a Series X...AND THE SERIES X CAN PLAY EVERY GAME THE XBOX ONE X CAN! I mean if you're buying a One X at this point you're not getting a Kinect with it so even the very few games that don't run on the Series X won't run on your One X anyway.

It's a great console and worth getting for cheap, but backwards compatibility makes it a very hard sell at the prices being asked online.