Xbox Series X and Game Pass Pricing Will Go Up In Most Countries

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1 ZombiePie  Staff

After years of speculation, Microsoft has announced a batch of console and Game Pass Price hikes. Many of these price hikes were expected after Sony announced a price adjustment to coincide with worldwide rising inflation. The first of these prices hikes will involve the Xbox Series X going up in most markets apart from the US, Chile, and Japan - to match the price of the PS5 in those countries. This would mean the Xbox Series X will be £479.99 in the UK, €549.99 in the EU, CAD $649.99 in Canada, and AUD $799.99 in Australia starting August 1st. The Xbox Series S, however, will remain at its current price and will largely remain at $249.99 and its equivalent worldwide.

With Game Pass, things are a bit more "odd," so I will use a handy quote from the Verge article breaking this news to run down the price increases.

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate will move from $14.99 per month to $16.99 (€14.99 / £12.99). The base Xbox Game Pass for Console pricing will also move from $9.99 a month up to $10.99 (€10.99 / £8.99). Microsoft is not changing PC Game Pass pricing, though.

So, PC Game Pass is going untouched, Xbox Game Pass is going up by about a dollar, and the bundled version is going up by $2 because... reasons. Oh, and Game Pass pricing will remain the same in Norway, Chile, Denmark, Switzerland, and Saudi Arabia. If you are already subscribed to Game Pass, these new prices will not take effect until August 13th unless you live in Germany where the price increases will begin on September 13th. If you want to know how the price of Game Pass will rise in your home country, then I strongly recommend that Verge article because they have a handy spreadsheet that breaks everything down.

I will admit, I feel like we all knew this was going to happen eventually, and that sentiment applies to Game Pass and the price of the Xbox Series X. When Sony raised their prices, you just knew Microsoft was mulling over their options. With Game Pass, while this batch of increases isn't too much, you can't help but think its sets a precedent that MS is bound to follow in which they adjust prices depending on individual markets.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can't believe that Microsoft isn't raising the price of the Xbox Series X in Japan. Given the volume they sell there they are leaving literally tens of dollars on the table. TENS OF DOLLARS!

I think that these price increases are not shocking and not too big a deal for now, but I would note that they are very weird in console history. I can't remember when there has been a price incease for an unchanged base unit of a console. With the introduction of a new SKU with some additional feature like added storage or more power (Like the Xbox 360 Elite or Xbox Series X) yes, but the exact same console? Those usually drop in price over time, though that hasn't really happened either recently.

I think this also makes a pro system less likely, at least in the immediate future, and I think it says something about how tehnology and console generations have changed over time.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'm curious what they plan to do to justify the cost because it just ain't there for me at the moment.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh, dear... things, in general, got more expensive, due to the infamous COVID-19 and then the Russia-Ukraine war, which caused the globe's economy to be so low, many people to lose their jobs, living cost crisis and resources wasted during the war.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By AV_Gamer

I'm not surprised. I figured a price hick would happen around the time Starfield and the new Forza Motorsport came out.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I dislike this development, but I’m unlikely to cancel my Ultimate sub anytime soon. Having the flexibility to move between PC and console depending on who wants to use what platform in a given evening is a big draw for me. Take my phantom dollar, I guess?

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

I had just extended my sub with some prepaid cards because I was expecting this to happen soon. I love to feel smug about spending slightly less money.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#8 ZombiePie  Staff

I think this also makes a pro system less likely, at least in the immediate future, and I think it says something about how tehnology and console generations have changed over time.

The only time we see a new pro edition/revision console from Xbox is when we see a similar console revision from Sony. Microsoft is only going to move on new hardware when they absolutely have to, and when you look at Sony and Nintendo, I think it is safe to say this generation is going to be a long one.

I'm curious what they plan to do to justify the cost because it just ain't there for me at the moment.

For Game Pass? Starfield and and Forza. For the console price hike, Microsoft is basically price matching Sony.

@jeremyf said:

I had just extended my sub with some prepaid cards because I was expecting this to happen soon. I love to feel smug about spending slightly less money.

I be there's going to be a ton of "price hack" theory mongering on YouTube about how to get the best deal with Game Pass, as if that's not already a thing right now.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not raising prices in the USA like Sony with the PS5.

Honestly just fuck off