Xbox Series X full specs released

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Full specs posted on Eurogamer and I'm sure many other places.

Mostly stuff we already knew, but the removable expansion thing is something they haven't talked about until now. I get why it's necessary in order to enable the required I/O bandwidth for Series X games, but no longer being able to use any old external drive is a bit of a bummer. The split between backward compatible games optionally stored on slow storage and Series X games on fast storage seems like it's going to get a little annoying.

And I'm sure those expandable storage cards are going to be expensive AF.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 14

I really enjoyed that size comparison image that the official Xbox account posted showing the Series X next to a fridge.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microsoft has partnered with Seagate for its proprietary external 1TB SSD expansion. It's very short, quite weighty for its dimensions and actually presents rather like a memory card.
Microsoft has partnered with Seagate for its proprietary external 1TB SSD expansion. It's very short, quite weighty for its dimensions and actually presents rather like a memory card.

We've come full circle, the era of the memory card is back.

AlexPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m buying 3. Also 1 PlayStation 5

haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I'm really impressed by the full specs of the Xbox Series X. The memory cards don't bother me much, I figured this is something they'd have to do to maintain the faster load times and the suspension of multiple games. The price of the memory cards will also determine, for me, how inconvenient it may be.

A few things I noted from what they announced today, though.

1. Looks like they're using the same UI as the Xbox One. I don't mind as long as it's quick and snappy, the new update is pretty good.

2. The new controller's dpad looks quite nice and I can't wait to try it out.

3. The controller has USB-C! However, it also utilizes AA batteries which is kinda a bummer, but I'm assuming they'll have a fast charge kit, similar to the current play and charge kits.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haz said:

3. The controller has USB-C! However, it also utilizes AA batteries which is kinda a bummer, but I'm assuming they'll have a fast charge kit, similar to the current play and charge kits.

IMO, the way Xbox One controllers work is perfect. I prefer using my own AA rechargeables, but if people want to use a proprietary battery pack they should have the option.

doncabesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: You can still use your external for BC titles and to store the series x games. You just copy them back over to play them for the series x version or play them from the external for og/360/one/x titles

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: You can still use your external for BC titles and to store the series x games. You just copy them back over to play them for the series x version or play them from the external for og/360/one/x titles

Good if you have a data cap and want to download as little as possible I guess, but otherwise pretty inconvenient.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: I’ve gone back and forth on this. I have at least two Eneloops charged at all times - and they are as good as people say - so I’ve never been suddenly left high and dry. The PS4 controller I have still holds a charge for a long time so...I dunno, I’m fine either way.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds very impressive. But Microsoft pretty much throwing all the information out there except for the price and staring at that 1TB NVME SSD i feel like we might have to expect quite a hefty price for this beastly machine.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice numbers. But I need to see it working.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By frytup

@shindig said:

Nice numbers. But I need to see it working.

Digital Foundry has some examples.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is that great fridge image

No Caption Provided

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Eurogamers did a nice job, but we can see how consoles are getting really complex. This is great because consoles are getting designed better at using their limited resources, but it has reached to the point where comparing PC and Xbox Series X will be not one to one. As Eurogamer pointed out Microsoft is using non-standard I/O, just in terms of the storage car and the controllers. That is fantastic because console are not being held back by any IEEE specs that move glacially slow, but where as Xbox X inched very close to PC architecture now we see the gap WIDEN not narrow.

Lots of great tech that we can unpack and understand over the next few weeks. Very neat tech, Very neat ideas! And, what interesting is what we think now will likely be proven wrong over the next few months...the gamers and pundits will have to adjust their preconceptions as we ask the technology team at MS the right questions.

The ball is now in Sony court. Sony will have it own surprises, but again I won't expects a one-to-one. Sony will have weird advantage and disadvantages that are different making comparisons a thought experiment.

doncabesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this will be $499, sony will have a 9.2 tflop machine that will either be the same for they'll bite the bullet and take a loss on the hardware. the BoM (bill of materials) is very close between the two because Sony is hamstrung by their hardware based backwards compatibility so they will have a lower tflop count and similar other specs.

donutello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@doncabesa: no way, look at these specs. I can't imagine lower price than $599...And honestly, that would be a steal still

KingBonesaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I kind of like the design. Looks easy to repair or open up to clean. I’m still firmly in the $499 USD camp since the PS3 was such a disaster for Sony at $599 that I think anyone would be stupid for trying to sell something for that much.

infinity_thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the design of that thing still. Looks like it has some serious power too it and I'm excited about the way this thing will cool, hopefully but noisy and loudness at ease for the next generation. Gonna get that thing day one assuming I a) don't die from corona, b) don't somehow go bankrupt from corona caused economic collapse, c) can preorder one. Day one Halo Infinite is going to be a treat.

Also glad they kept the AA batteries. I can easily swap those out and love the eneloops I'm rocking.

After all the shit MS took with the xbox one, this is them going H.A.M. the opposite direction and making a beast of a machine with gaming at the absolute forefront.

People are worried about the expansion cards and memory but I think there has been overall talk about lowering storage demands for games so I don't think that will be as big of a deal as people are making it.

infinity_thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this will be $499, sony will have a 9.2 tflop machine that will either be the same for they'll bite the bullet and take a loss on the hardware. the BoM (bill of materials) is very close between the two because Sony is hamstrung by their hardware based backwards compatibility so they will have a lower tflop count and similar other specs.

Back last gen the power difference and cost was enough to sweep PS4 into the lead (I'm sure we all remember the pixel counting in every single game and even blades of grass counting). Wonder if a similar cost but larger difference in power will lead to a similar result for Xbox this go around.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donutello: They will eat the costs to get a generational lead. $600 will be a very tough pill to swallow no matter how fast games load - and to be honest that demo video of the series X loading a game next to an XB1X wasn't $600 impressive. If it's not literally instant then you're not going to turn heads and for $600 you need to be turning heads.

donutello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: i hope you are right, but i wouldn't bet on $500. Just that GPU must cost them a lot to manufacture and speculations about cheaper Xbox down the line makes it sound like they know they need lower price option.

Anyway i fully agree that $600 console is like shooting self in the food at the beginning. And Microsoft has already disadvantage thanks to this generation, so yeah, they kind of need to be "shinier"

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Price is a big issue. I think both companies would be CRAZY to go above $449.

Xbox One was more costly than PS4. Xbox One X was more expensive than PS4 Pro. And I think Xbox Series X specs spoint to it being more expensive than PS5 unless what Sony offers is even wilder/crazier than the construction of Xbox Series X. Just what lengths did Sony go to to make PS1, PS3, PS3 and PS4 games playable? Expensive lengths? Less costly affordable lengths?

I think PS5 and Series X will have, to the naked eyes, the same graphic fidelity for new games. When comparing a ported game head-to-head, if they both look the same I think the less expensive unit will sell more. Than again, if Sony has a system to play its older games in a way that just blows our minds, than Sony back catalog of exclusives matters. If Sony's solution plays native discs....well, fuck Game Stop has a wearhosu of dics that just becaome a commodnidty again. (Did Reggie just joing Game Stops Board because they have one last card to play that involes wearhouses full of dics....? Why did Reggie join the board, was it to get stock low hat will be worth something??? )

All this really means is until we know everything about both boxes, we don't have the tools to see where things are going.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

No Caption Provided

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I appreciate the work that must have gone into that Eurogamer article, it would be nice for luddites like me to have a really stripped down simple version of "What It Actually Means." I admit to getting lost in discussions of how the flibbitygibbets interact with the widgets in order to produce more voxels in the wickersnackers.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

AA batteries in a controller?

My PS4 controller I've had since launch holds a charge for like an entire day of gaming still only needing to charge at night ever two or three days. Seems like that should just be the way to go?

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AA batteries in a controller?

My PS4 controller I've had since launch holds a charge for like an entire day of gaming still only needing to charge at night ever two or three days. Seems like that should just be the way to go?

You must have a magical PS4 controller. The two I've got have pathetic battery life.

Play time aside, I just don't like proprietary batteries that can't easily be replaced as they inevitably lose the ability to maintain a charge.

tlchwi02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donutello: i can see this going one of two ways

1. It's 499 and they eat a loss on the hardware in return for avoiding sticker shock

2. its 599, but they also launch the xbox series Y (or whatever) at 399 which is better than the current one X, but potentially bills itself as more digital focused or a leaner experience.

the second one (to my mind) is the more logical one- rumors have been swirling, it mirrors their current strategy of pushing the 'everyone should be able to play the way they want to' stuff and they seem to have had a decent bit of late cycle success with the s/one X marketing. but, my hesitation is because its getting awfully late in the game for that to be something they are actively working on and no actual details have slipped out. amazon tibet or something should have accidentally posted a SKU on their website or *something* by now that would have blown up

donutello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By donutello

@tlchwi02: i think a weaker version of next-gen xbox would come to play like a year after launch of Series X, definitely not this year. Or maybe that version is not the case anymore.

Personally, i want one box. Just one console from each platform holder for developers to focus on. I would pay even $600 for next-gen, but...i hope both Xbox and PS5 will have same ($499 max) price tag, so each ecosystem will have big number of players - i don't want to see one system getting 3rd party preference like this gen. A lot of developers are making PS4 and PC versions for example, leaving Xbox One players without option to play great non-exclusive games (luckily Microsoft with Phil Spencer at the helm is already changing that like with NieR Automata, Hellblade, Yakuza games etc)

And i am a PC and PS4 player right now, so no fanboyism from me! I simply wish to be able to choose a new console without dilemmas like "if i want to play Supergiant games, i guess that means no xbox for me" that sucks

And cross-play for everything with new generation, for the love of god please

tlchwi02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donutello: yeah i hear that and somewhat in the 'i just want one thing that play the stuff' i actually sort of forgot to mention that project xcloud could potentially play a role in MS's strategy. I've been playing a lot of halo 5 on an old samsung tablet and it works perfectly fine and looks fine too. i do have very good internet without any caps and i live in a large city where i'm close to datacenters and such, so my experience is probably best case for the service, but it does work as advertised in those circumstances.

but i could definitely see them launching xcloud out of beta as some sort of 'hey, you can play halo infinite on an xbox one X, tablet/phone or a mid ranged PC if you have good/decent internet and it will look/function somewhat close to our more premium hardware product experience thanks to the cloud.'

donutello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By donutello

@tlchwi02: i totally do expect them to release xcloud out of beta with launch of new Xbox. But i wonder if they upgrade their datacenters. Right now xcloud is powered by One S hardware if i'm not wrong.

tlchwi02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donutello: yeah and presumably they would be able to take advantage of whatever they can put in azure. but i also think from a purely practical position that they aren't going to splurge on hardware back end that most customers aren't going to be able to appreciate due to the their network connections anyway. particularly if they are selling this as the 'play anywhere' alternative to their beefy physical hardware.

i do think marketing will help- setting the expectation that an xcloud experience isn't going to be the premium experience that a dedicated hardware system can provide can paper over some deficiencies (especially if the price point is far lower.) i know that the experience of playing halo 5 on an old samsung tablet streaming over the internet has to be objectively worse than playing it on dedicated hardware on a big fancy TV, but the low barrier to entry and convenience of it lets me rationalize the trade offs in a way that makes me feel positive about the experience

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@frytup: I wont argue, especially since batteries in general are a crap shoot. I guess my sample size of one is of no use but yeah Ive actually been impressed with mine.

The thumbsticks on this thing are literally wearing off but battery doesn't impact my usability at all.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool...and expensive lol.

I hope they really do some good stuff with gamepass to justify the price I know they have to charge for this thing. Like "hey it's 800$ but all the games are pretty much free on gamepass" lol

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if this time around Microsoft is actually trying to get something done here in Europe. The Xbox One took a year extra before it showed up here, and all the cablebox TV stuff didn't make sense here, and the Kinect phrases were not in my native language i think. So if you wanted a shiny new console that year, Sony was pretty much the only option available.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@frytup said:
@haz said:

IMO, the way Xbox One controllers work is perfect. I prefer using my own AA rechargeables, but if people want to use a proprietary battery pack they should have the option.

I'm pretty sure they said that you can use the current play and charge kits if you own them. Obviously you'd just have to use a USB-C cable for charging instead of the micro-USB one.

I really dig the AA-battery solution. I've always got a handful of charged rechargables in the cupboard ready to be switched in, so I never have to be charging my controller while playing. And in the one or two times that I've not had fresh batteries ready, I've been able to plug the controller in directly and play that way for an hour or two.