xCloud Xbox gaming in your browser is in Beta

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Like many who have the Game Pass subscription I recently received an e-mail inviting me to try out the xCloud service that lets you game in your PC browser or on an iOS device. I gave it a shot and it's O-K thus far. Specifically chose Hollow Knight to test out the latency and at the moment it's a bit framey. Game looked like it was running at about 22-24 FPS. So noticably stuttery. Input delay wasn't as much of a problem as the overall performance. Visually I think it looked pretty good - better than the one time I tried using Stadia in the past. If they iron out the performance this can be a real cool option.

Anyone else tried it?

You can go to https://www.xbox.com/play and give it a shot

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By brian_

Huh. Weird. When I tried it, I didn't notice any framerate issues, but I definitely noticed input lag, which was bad enough for me to not want to play action games with it. Obviously it's still in beta, this stuff will be ironed out, but I have a much smoother experience on PS Now when I'm streaming there.

EDIT: You know what? I just tried The Outer Worlds, and that is super frame-y for me. I wonder what they're streaming these things on. Because the load time was pretty long on that too.

Avatar image for ithas2besaidkvo
ItHas2BeSaidKVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Haven’t got the email yet, but can’t imagine it’ll be amazing on my iPhone 6S and my mid-tier Australian broadband plan.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@brian_: Right now they're using base Xbox One S server blades but at some point they'll be transitioned over to Series X|S.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

My internet sucks so streaming is just not an option for me. :'(

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@brian_: I think a big part of it is that when I tried it earlier I was connected to my work VM so I don't know how much broadband juice that sucks up. I have a pretty good internet connection so there should be lots to spare but who knows - I have to try it after work and see if it works better.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I haven't tried it on a PC or iOS device, I tried Gears Tactics on my tablet (Android based) and it ran fine. I did not have any framerate issues.

I also tried Forza Horizon 4 and Wreckfest on the same tablet and those also ran fine, without noticeable frame drops or latency/lag. I assumed input lag might make these games unplayable, but I did not notice any.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried it earlier today, worked fine at my end. Just had to remember to turn the VPN off.